How's the Publishing Business These days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrett

Registered
Reaction score
I thought I'd check in, see if anyone had any up-to-date stats or info on book sales, overall and genre, book length, that sort of thing.

I keep waiting to see if some hammer is gonna fall, what with the economy being so shaky.
It makes no difference to my work, the choices I make or my style. This is more of an overall concern about a business I care about.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
I keep waiting to see if some hammer is gonna fall, what with the economy being so shaky.

If you mean decreased retail sales, independents and chains folding, smaller print runs, less books purchased by publishers, smaller advances, less books sold by agents to publishers, everything taking even longer than usual to accomplish, people from all parts of the business being fired, publishers consolidating and/or closing imprints, etc., etc. ---
it's already happened, and it continues

It makes no difference to my work, the choices I make or my style. This is more of an overall concern about a business I care about.

I'm not sure what the inference is here.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I see announcements all the time of new authors getting contracts, new books coming out, and new best sellers hitting the lists. Not sure if that's what you're after.

Barrett

Registered
Reaction score
"If you mean decreased retail sales, independents and chains folding, smaller print runs, less books purchased by publishers, smaller advances, less books sold by agents to publishers, everything taking even longer than usual to accomplish, people from all parts of the business being fired, publishers consolidating and/or closing imprints, etc., etc. "

Scope, yes, I was wondering if anyone had any specifics on those particular issues, the ones you mentioned. I'd love to see links to articles, news announcements, bean-counter stuff.

As for that last sentence, it was to clarify that I'm not asking about the business to determine a trend and shape my writing to it. Some people are hunting for "the next big thing" when they ask questions like mine. I'm not.

Status
Not open for further replies.