multiple submissions to agents

nehama

Registered
Reaction score
If I'm planning to query several agents simultaneously is it necessary to indicate that it's a multiple submission?
Do agents then take it less seriously, assuming that you've queried tons of them at the same time, when you're only doing a few?

colealpaugh

"Bear trumps Elephants!"
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.colealpaugh.com
If I'm planning to query several agents simultaneously is it necessary to indicate that it's a multiple submission?
Do agents then take it less seriously, assuming that you've queried tons of them at the same time, when you're only doing a few?

It is assumed and accepted that we are all querying multiple, if not hundreds of agents simultaneously.

But the idea is to make it seem like you are not. Be sure to use Dear Ms. Wonderfulbottom, and never Dear Sir/Agent/Madam/Dude.

Some agents prefer something personal, although "I read your blog and..." is on the lame side. I don't even try to personalize, since words are at such a premium to get my story idea across.

Use the incredibly smart and generous people in Query Letter Hell:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=174

dragonkid

Beware of killer butterflies
Registered
Reaction score
Most agents assume you are querying more than one agency at a time – as you should be, if you want to find representation sometime this decade. You do not need to indicate this in your query letter unless their guidelines specifically say to do so. They will not, as far as I know, take you less seriously for querying multiple agents. As Colealpaugh said, though, you do need to personalize each query with the agent’s name and you should never CC or BCC multiple agents when sending equeries.

After the query stage, some agents may ask for an exclusive look at your manuscript. You never have to grant an exclusive (and you can’t if other agents already have your manuscript), and if you do it should only be for a short, defined period of time. If an agent asks if others are looking at the manuscript, be upfront and honest about its status. You may end up with multiple offers of representation (as I did), which is a good thing because it allows you to choose the agent who is the best fit for you.

Good luck!

Danthia

Multiple submission means one query with several ideas to one agent. This is a no-no. Simultaneous submission means one query with one idea to multiple agents. This is normal. No need to tell them, since they assume you are.

The only time you'd consider mentioning it is at the full manuscript request stage. Some feel it's a good idea to tell other agents someone is reading the full so they read it quickly, others think it's best to stay quiet and only speak up if you get an offer. (to let other agents reading the full know so they can decide if they want to read and offer too) Opinions are split on this, so do what feels right to you. Both are acceptable.

Angkor

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Whenever I have full manuscripts out with multiple agents (i.e., on a non-exclusive basis), I tell the next requesting agent so upfront in a brief "Full Disclosure" paragraph in my cover letter in which I also state, "No publishers have seen it." I just feel being candid is a healthy way of doing business. Whether revealing this might get somebody to speed up consideration for one's work is an open question. I rather doubt it. However, informing agents with your full ms that another has offered representation certainly could bring an agent to hasten their review.

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
But this question is really about querying. As others have said - tailor your query to each agent and refrain from saying "I'm sending blanket queries out to every agent in the universe"
Same thing with partials.
With respect to manuscripts I took the don't tell don't ask approach. The agent who eventually offered representation asked for an exclusive and at that time I said I couldn't offer it because other agents were already looking at the full. She told me later that made her hurry and read- all she said at the time was please keep her in the loop when another agent made an offer.
Each agent and agency is different but most all agents assume an author is querying multiple agents.