PDA

View Full Version : Key Literary Agency / Royal Trinity Press (Kimberly Key)

pjlove51
05-28-2009, 03:42 AM
I just got an e-mail from Key literary agency, they'd like to represent my book. They are a new company and do have a website. All P&E says is they're a new agency (There's another Key Lit. That they don't recommend, but this isn't that one)Anyone heard of them?

M.R.J. Le Blanc
05-28-2009, 03:59 AM
If it's these guys: http://keyliteraryagency.web.officelive.com/default.aspx I have one word - PASS.

Their website doesn't detail anything about who's behind the show, and this:

We also offer Editing Services which can be combined with representation by our agency, or can be purchased seperately. Other products offered are Analysis Services which is offered seperately from representation. If you are interested in editing services, or analysis services please contact us for pricing.

This is never good, and quite possibly a sign that the agency doesn't provide enough income as an agency alone. Not what you want to see in an agency.

If this isn't the one you're talking about, could you post a web address so folks can look? :)

ChristineR
05-28-2009, 04:20 AM
The page advertising their editing services has at least three grammatical errors....

CaoPaux
05-28-2009, 06:23 AM
If the books on their Featured Author page actually exist...their covers alone don't bode well.

KellyDexter
09-08-2009, 08:32 AM
I just happened to stumbble upon to the site unexpectedly but I see that you got an offer from Key Literary Agency. You either did not want to accept thier offer or you got really bad advice. From my understanding: they are indeed a new agency but one author has already been published. Another has just signed a contract with Random House and as for myself: I'm a signed author with the agency and I'm in talks with Simon & Schuester.

ChrryBlssmGrrl
09-08-2009, 02:27 PM
If the books on their Featured Author page actually exist...their covers alone don't bode well.

Agreed. Nor do the grammatical errors or the lack of transparency as to who is running the show. I would definitely echo the above sentiments - PASS!

waylander
09-08-2009, 02:55 PM
I just happened to stumbble upon to the site unexpectedly but I see that you got an offer from Key Literary Agency. You either did not want to accept thier offer or you got really bad advice. From my understanding: they are indeed a new agency but one author has already been published. Another has just signed a contract with Random House and as for myself: I'm a signed author with the agency and I'm in talks with Simon & Schuester.

The name of the published author and the title of their book would go a long way to supporting the credibility of this agency

Momento Mori
09-08-2009, 03:31 PM
KellyDexter:
I just happened to stumbble upon to the site unexpectedly but I see that you gave very bad advice. From my understanding: they are indeed a new agency but one author has already been published. Another has just signed a contract with Random House and as for myself: I'm a signed author with the agency and I'm in talks with Simon & Schuester.

Hi, Kelly and welcome to AW. Can you tell us the name of the agent who runs the Key Agency and who they were previously with? For example, was it another agency or were they with a publisher? If the latter, then what was their role?

In terms of the Featured Authors on the Key Agency's website, are you able to tell us why the Key Agency is advertising Donna's World by Frances Mills Walker? Was this a sale that the Agency made? I ask because having looked it up on Amazon, it was published by Publish America, a company that no legitimate agent would bother dealing with given that their "advance" is only a dollar.

I note that none of the other authors featured on the Agency's website have been published and indeed, you do not appear on that page as an author signed with the agency. Do you know when they will be correcting this?

Congratulations on being in talks with Simon & Schuster. Which acquiring editor are you dealing with and what's the name of the project that they're looking to buy?

MM

CaoPaux
09-14-2009, 07:31 PM
Key's myspace site: http://www.myspace.com/editu2

victoriastrauss
09-14-2009, 11:41 PM
Conflict of interest alert (from the MySpace page):

Now offering Analysis Services......contact me for pricing.
- Victoria

CaoPaux
09-21-2009, 07:10 PM
Meet Kimberly Key (http://kimberlykeywriter.com/aboutus.aspx), three-time Publish America author and F.M. Walker's daughter.

charlys
11-06-2009, 06:40 PM
Meet Kimberly Key (http://kimberlykeywriter.com/aboutus.aspx), three-time Publish America author and F.M. Walker's daughter.

I'm confused. One of the threads says there are 2 Key Agencies. The only one I found was with Kimberly Key who has an e-mail fill-out form on her website. I filled it out and attached the first 10 pages of my ms on 9/6/09 but never got a response. Is she the good agent or the bad one? Who is the other one or did I read that wrong. I certainly don't want to deal with anyone involved with PublishAmerica. I'm definitely getting paranoid some dishonest agent passes on my synopsis to a disreputable publisher and they pass that idea on to someone else to write a similar story. Do all writers get this paranoid?

Richard White
11-06-2009, 06:48 PM
Book theft is the least of your worries.

Bad agents don't want to steal your book. They wouldn't know how to sell it even if they did. Bad publishers don't want to steal your work, they want you to buy it from them.

Worry more about losing time and money with these people.

CaoPaux
11-06-2009, 08:24 PM
I'm confused. One of the threads says there are 2 Key Agencies. The only one I found was with Kimberly Key who has an e-mail fill-out form on her website. I filled it out and attached the first 10 pages of my ms on 9/6/09 but never got a response. Is she the good agent or the bad one? Who is the other one or did I read that wrong. I certainly don't want to deal with anyone involved with PublishAmerica. I'm definitely getting paranoid some dishonest agent passes on my synopsis to a disreputable publisher and they pass that idea on to someone else to write a similar story. Do all writers get this paranoid?Yes, there are two Key Literary Agencies. This new one, out of Oklahoma and run by Kimberly Key, and the older one, out of Florida with Ann Gallagher, Bernie Kaplan, and Patrick Lennon.

This new one is to be avoided for glaring lack of experience, etc.

The other is/was a fee charger, at the least. There's more info on them here (http://www.writers.net/forum/read.php?f=10&i=5954&t=5954).

CaoPaux
11-09-2009, 08:59 PM
Apparently Ms. Key has joined us. Although she has not activated her account to the point of being able to post, she left me the following Visitor Messages (viewable on my Profile page, for those inclined to click through):

Kimberly Key
Today 01:52 AM
Kimberly Key
Do more homework before you bash someone publically.

Kimberly Key
Today 02:02 AM
Kimberly Key
The reason this person would not have recieved a response is because they did not follow the submission guidelines. Take time and review the website; It clearly says not to attach or send chapters. This is all a matter of paying proper attension. If a person can not care enough to follow the submission guideline to the letter; it's assumed they did not care enough to properly format thier document or have it professionally edited. If an author does not care enough or take the time to follow submission guidelines, then why should an agent care enough or take the time to respond to that person? They are just wasting our time due to thier lack of care or attension to detail.

For the record, my reply:

CaoPaux
Today 08:21 AM
CaoPaux
Welcome, Ms. Key. I presume you're referring to the B&BC thread regarding your agency, here: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143141

When you have properly activated your account and are able to post, I'll be happy to discuss whatever you consider "bashing" -- in the agency thread.

And if I may make a friendly suggestion? Please use spell check. Taking someone to task for not paying attention to detail loses much of its impact when you misspell "their" and "attention". Twice.

Eirin
11-09-2009, 09:14 PM
One of the books on the Featured Authors (http://keyliteraryagency.web.officelive.com/KeyLiteraryAgency.aspx) page, Donna's World by Frances Mills Walker, is published by PublishAmerica. That's all anyone needs to know really.

MacAllister
11-09-2009, 10:00 PM
And if I may make a friendly suggestion? Please use spell check. Taking someone to task for not paying attention to detail loses much of its impact when you misspell "their" and "attention". Twice.

It's a kind response, CaoPaux. Even spellcheck isn't going to prevent such unfortunate semicolon abuse, I'm afraid.

James D. Macdonald
11-09-2009, 11:44 PM
Whoever wrote their web page is not on good terms with the Muse of Grammar and Spelling.

To save time: Ms. Key, read the thread on the Dixie Literary Agency (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160387). If you have any questions after that, feel free to ask them.

MelMel
11-10-2009, 12:13 AM
I like how they put "No Vampires!" in red and bold like right away that makes a book bad. How closed minded.

James D. Macdonald
11-10-2009, 01:11 AM
All it probably means is that they've seen too many books involving vampires (sparkly, brooding, sexy vampires!) and if they see one more they're going to scream.

MelMel
11-10-2009, 05:54 AM
aAhahahhahahahaa....sparkly vampires...always makes me LOL.

inkspatters
11-23-2009, 12:54 PM
Ms Key, I feel that the majority of posts on this thread has been about your lack of experience. Would you care to clarify your experience in the publishing industry for us? Or talk about any of your authors whose books you've sold?

James D. Macdonald
11-23-2009, 12:57 PM
Good morning, Ms. Key.

Could you name four or five of your more recent sales? (Title/author/publisher.)

Eirin
11-23-2009, 02:03 PM
I'll give you that I might have mis-spelled attention but that is one of the most commonly mis-spelled words in the English language. That would be one of the reasons that I employ a prof. editor. One that costs money out of MY pocket, not my authors.

While I certainly agree that a writer should never submit anything less than a polished manuscript, there's a teensy bit of difference between a ms and the webpage that is, for all practical purposes, your business-face to the world.

I challenge you or anyone else to send me a complete manuscript and not have a single mis-spelled word. Mostly when spell check is not available- especially as in this format.Then perhaps you shouldn't throw stones. Glasshouse, and all that.

You seem to have taken to task to bash me."Taken to task" means reprimanded. Possibly the phrase you're looking for is "taken up the task". There's that thing about presentation again.

I think one of the things people don't seem to understand is that I get upwards of 20 submissions a day. You have not a clue as to the incompetence that I see. People who don't care enough to even research the proper format or even do a spell check on the manuscript- much less have it edited. If you think the people here don't know from slush, you are very much mistaken.

Anyone, including you, who wants to question my ethics or my submission guidelines should refer to the 'conglomerate' guidelines. Or simply pick up Jeff Herman's book in which he clearly states numerous times that when you query an agency you should make sure your manuscript is properly formatted and professionally edited.We're mostly questioning your credentials and experience.

The entire idea behind submission guidelines is this; If you do not care enough to follow the submission guidelines then you probably didn't care enough to properly configure your manuscript.Very true. On the other hand, PublishAmerica will take anything, formatting be damned.

Although the novel industry is not as cut throat as the music industry; let me explain something the music industry does. When an A/R Rep. requests a Cd from an artist they require that the artist place about 10 different random things on the envelope. If the artist deviates from that or leaves out even ONE thing on the mailing envelope- it goes into the trash.This is completely irrelevant.

I actually tried my own version of this technique for about a month. I put on my submission guidelines that authors had to put a random note in the subject line of their e-mail query. Out of the estimated 20 queries a week I get- over that period of time I only got 2 people who paid enough attention to put that random note in the subject line.Again, how does this relate to your ability to sell your clients' manuscripts?

You can continue to bash my agency but you need to check your facts first. I'm not here to screw anyone. I'm here to help people. I know the evil's of the publishing industry and those who set out to cheat people. I've witnessed it first hand.Checking our facts. Right. Tell us about the sales you've made to legitimate, advance-paying, commercial publishers. That way we can get our facts straight from the source.

But if I refuse to reply to someone who does not properly submit their query then I guess I'm evil. You and everyone else should review the 'submission guidelines' page on my site. You'll see that it states to keep your query to no more than 275 words. Yet; I get 19 out of 20 queries that go well over that. My contact page does not allow more than 275 word count. But, they drown on about their personal lives before getting to the heart of their novel. More times than not; I get a few sentences of their novel query.How writers submit to you isn't of interest here. Whether or not you can sell their manuscripts is.

And then there are those who drone on and on about how if they don't get a book deal their life is going to come to an end. I'm a business woman. Period. I'm sorry if you feel like your life is going to be destroyed or you are threatening to end you life if I don't represent you book- you need professional help I can't give you.My goodness, woman. One would think you've never seen slush before. That doesn't speak well of your experience.

So in closing, I can't stop what you seem to have taken up as a personal vendetta to bash me; but you should stop and consider all the facts before you do so. If you or anyone else is an editor from RH, S&S or such, then go right ahead, I guess you have earned the right. But so far, none of my contacts at any of the big publishing houses is complaining as to my business ethics.There is no personal vendetta against you. Gormless agents and publishers are a dime a dozen. We're simply trying to find out if you have what it takes to competently represent authors.

What are your credentials?

Do you have experience in reading, understanding and negotiating publishing contracts?

What books have you placed?

Wishing you all the best,

KKAnd to you as well.

Saskatoonistan
11-23-2009, 03:27 PM
There is no personal vendetta against you. Gormless agents and publishers are a dime a dozen. We're simply trying to find out if you have what it takes to competently represent authors.

Fear the gorn Key Literary - FEAR HIM!! If you have legit sales to report then the gorn will happily bid you a pleasant day.

http://www.proverbs2229.com/t39/greenbar/dayTrips/vasquez/STArena.jpg

(Sorry Eirin - I just had to. The gorn takes issue with gormless agents and publishers. ;) )

James D. Macdonald
11-23-2009, 10:26 PM
To what should be no-one's surprise, Kimberly Key and KellyDexter are posting from the same IP address.

CaoPaux
11-23-2009, 10:42 PM
Sad.

Kimberly, your last chance to be taken seriously will be to provide details of your alleged sale to Random House.

Richard White
11-23-2009, 10:49 PM
To what should be no-one's surprise, Kimberly Key and KellyDexter are posting from the same IP address.

Shocked!

I'm shocked to find there is chicanery going on here.

Bushdoctor
11-24-2009, 01:08 AM

why oh why must we go through this ritual every week?

Momento Mori
11-24-2009, 03:24 AM
I don't know whether Kimberly Key has contacted anyone else by PM, claiming that she's sold a book to Random House "under a pseudonym" but I most certainly have and in addition to making a Bingos-worth of claims as to my chance of publication, she's also suggested that I apologise to this agency for my "derogatory comments".

Needless to say, I declined her invitation.

At the moment, this is an agency with no verified sales and until she can produce some evidence to back up her claims at making sales, it's one to avoid.

MM

victoriastrauss
11-24-2009, 03:44 AM
"Under a pseudonym"???

Now I really have heard it all.

- Victoria

eqb
11-24-2009, 04:06 AM
Needless to say, I declined her invitation.

Tcha. You would think these folks would come up with something original.

Give her enough time, and she call us all "loosers" who just have "sour grapes."

Eirin
11-24-2009, 04:15 AM

claiming that she's sold a book to Random House "under a pseudonym"

A Secret Agent!

She'll probably sell your book to SD6.

entropic island
11-24-2009, 04:23 AM
Wow...this is what I love about the Bewares & Background Check forum...*grabs popcorn*

I'd point out some fatal flaws in Key's pretense just so she'll leave me a visitor message under a psuedonym too....

Saskatoonistan
11-24-2009, 06:15 AM
The gorn is not happy at all...

http://www.defensetech.org/archives/images/gorn_speaks.jpg

The Kidd
11-24-2009, 06:53 AM
What an attitude. She certainly isn't making a good impression.

waylander
11-24-2009, 11:45 AM
Where's my PM??

Momento Mori
11-24-2009, 07:57 PM
victoriastrauss:
"Under a pseudonym"???

Now I really have heard it all.

Yup. I found it particularly ironic given that she was posting here under her real name ...

I did say that if she was unwilling to share the details of the title that she sold to Random House for whatever reason, then she could instead email me the name of the acquiring editor and if I could verify that, then I'd be happy to post to the thread that she had in fact made a legitimate sale. I'm still waiting to hear back and frankly, I think I've got more chance of pulling the gorn than getting an actual answer.

MM

eqb
11-24-2009, 09:41 PM
Completely OT, but I now have a major crush on the Gorn. (But not the gormless.)

Eirin
11-24-2009, 10:11 PM
I think we should have a plushy gorn as mascot. With sharp teeth, of course.

Saskatoonistan
11-24-2009, 10:26 PM
I think we should have a plushy gorn as mascot. With sharp teeth, of course.

Done!

http://www.finalfrontiertoys.com/Star_Trek/Star_Trek_Gorn_Beanie.JPG

victoriastrauss
11-24-2009, 11:49 PM
Awwwww. He's so cute!

- Victoria

Kimberly Key
11-30-2009, 11:06 AM
Could you please tell me who your agent is? What publishing companies are currently reviewing your manuscript and what is the editors names? Is anyone just reviewing your synopsis or is anyone actually reading the manuscript? How many manuscripts has your agent sold? Please advice as to what major manuscripts you agent has sold; what publishing house and the name of author and name of book.

Kimberly Key
11-30-2009, 11:19 AM
I hate vampires. This is my choice.

Kimberly Key
11-30-2009, 11:21 AM
You are correct. I hate vampires to begin with and if I see on more I'll slit my wrists!

Kimberly Key
11-30-2009, 11:33 AM
Who are you signed with? Who is your agent? Who is your publisher? Do you not understand the concept that everyone started somewhere in life?

Stop bashing someone who is actually trying to help authors. Stop bashing someone who is trying to turn this ugly business into some pretty. I suspect you do not have a clue as to the evils of this world. Flash; I do!.

Izz
11-30-2009, 11:34 AM
Who are you signed with? Who is your agent? Who is your publisher? Do you not understand the concept that everyone started somewhere in life?

Stop bashing someone who is actually trying to help authors. Stop bashing someone who is trying to turn this ugly business into some pretty. I suspect you do not have a clue as to the evils of this world. Flash; I do!.*looks confused* Who are you talking to?

Stacia Kane
11-30-2009, 11:44 AM

Stop bashing someone who is actually trying to help authors. Stop bashing someone who is trying to turn this ugly business into some pretty. I suspect you do not have a clue as to the evils of this world. Flash; I do!.

I'm happy to give you the name of my agent in PM, Kimberly, (although it is a matter of record, as his name is on my deal announcements) and I have books under contract with Simon & Schuster and Random House.

Now, why don't you tell me the name of the book you sold to Random House, and the acquiring editor? Or any books you've sold to commercial publishing houses would do, really.

Publishing is NOT an ugly business. It's a wonderful business, focused as it is on providing good books to readers.

Nobody's bashing you. We're simply pointing out that you have no verifiable experience in this business, and have no verifiable sales of books to advance-paying commercial publishers.

"Agent" is not an entry-level job, as has been pointed out here many times. You need specific skills; you need connections; you need to understand complex publishing contracts. Those skills, connections, and terms are not picked up overnight.

If you have those things, we'd be happy to rethink our reservations about you. If you don't have those things, you cannot be an effective agent, since they are the major parts of an agent's job.

(ETA: Yes, I understand the concept that everyone must start somewhere. That's why reputable agents with reliable sales records start as interns at reputable agencies, or at publishing houses, and move up in the ranks from there, gathering experience, knowledge, and contacts as they go.) (Oh, and I also am quite familiar with the evils of this world, thanks.)

This isn't personal.

Looking forward to your PM!!!

Terie
11-30-2009, 12:37 PM
Could you please tell me who your agent is? What publishing companies are currently reviewing your manuscript and what is the editors names? Is anyone just reviewing your synopsis or is anyone actually reading the manuscript? How many manuscripts has your agent sold? Please advice as to what major manuscripts you agent has sold; what publishing house and the name of author and name of book.

Of what possible relevance to your background are the answers to these questions, posed to the people posting here? This is a background check forum, and folks are trying to establish your background. If you have relevant experience, why are you trying so hard to hide it? Since you're not answering the questions, the obvious conclusion folks here will draw is that you don't have any relevant experience.

Oh, and my agent? My publishing credits? They're on my website.

Momento Mori
11-30-2009, 01:49 PM
Kimberly Key:
Could you please tell me who your agent is?

I have told you - it's in the PM I sent you and it's in each of the signatures to my posts. Given that you apparently have very poor research and/or reading skills however, it's Rogers Coleridge and White (http://www.rcwlitagency.com/).

Kimberly Key:
What publishing companies are currently reviewing your manuscript and what is the editors names?

As I said in my PM, I am currently in the process of editing my manuscript with the aim of it going on submission to a number of publishers in January 2010.

Kimberly Key:
Is anyone just reviewing your synopsis or is anyone actually reading the manuscript?

Again, like I said in my PM to you, my agent has had preliminary discussions with those editors she has a relationship with, but nothing will go on submission until my edits are finished.

Kimberly Key:
How many manuscripts has your agent sold?

Considerably more than you have. If you don't believe me, check it out for yourself (http://www.rcwlitagency.com/AuthorResult.aspx?agid=60).

Kimberly Key:
Please advice as to what major manuscripts you agent has sold; what publishing house and the name of author and name of book.

Click on the above links and see for yourself.

Kimberly Key:
Do you not understand the concept that everyone started somewhere in life?

Yes. Do you understand that being an agent is not an entry level position and that if you have no background in publishing or agenting then you have no credentials? Do you also understand that being printed by Publish America is not a publishing credential?

Kimberly Key:

Oh get off your cross, love. Someone else needs the wood.

Now that I've answered your questions, tell me who the acquiring editor was for the novel you claim to have sold your novel to at Random House.

MM

(All your Gorn belong to me)

Izz
11-30-2009, 02:14 PM
Stop bashing someone who is actually trying to help authors.Wanting to help is admirable. Trying to help is admirable too. Being able to help is a different thing entirely.

Kimberly, it doesn't matter one iota whether anybody who's responded in this thread has an agent, or published books, or whatever you ask for (it just so happens that most of the responders do have what it is you're asking for, but it still doesn't matter). They're not the ones who are proclaiming they can sell my book to a commercial publisher. You're the one who, by going into 'business' as an agent, is proclaiming that.

Imagine a prospective client asking you what you've been asked here, which basically boils down to: What track record do you have selling books to commercial publishers, and what overall experience do you have in the industry?

Would you respond in the same aggressive, defensive manner? Likelihood is that prospective client won't have books with an agent (otherwise why would they be querying you?), or previously published books (they'd probably have an agent already, if so).

They'll be young Jane Authors searching for the agent who'll get them a foot in the publishing door. They'll be trusting you with some of their most important things (and not just their books, but their hopes and dreams). Are you offering a realistic opportunity to them by advertising yourself as an agent, or are you possibly going to be involved in crushing their dreams because you have no idea how or no means to sell a book to a commercial publisher?

Right now, i'm thinking the latter, for a number of reasons.

1) The books on your site (apart from one book that was 'published' by Publish America) don't exist as far as i can tell. From where i stand, that's called false advertising, unless of course you can provide actual evidence that those books have been sold and are easily available. But you've been asked that already and haven't yet answered (see point 3 below).

2) It's been pointed out that your account and the account of KellyDexter have been making posts from the same IP address. That leads me to believe that you and she are the same person, which makes me wonder why you feel the need to pose as someone else in an attempt to provide credibility.

3) You've yet to provide any evidence (i.e, books sold and to whom) that you can sell a book to a legitimate publisher. Conversely, however, you have shown yourself to be very defensive when asked to supply evidence, which is neither professional nor confidence-inducing.

How about you answer the questions you've been asked, with specific examples, instead of attempting to divert attention from yourself with meaningless bluster?

James D. Macdonald
11-30-2009, 06:16 PM

Kimberly, while spell-check is necessary, it is not sufficient.

As others have said, "agent" is not an entry-level job. Did you read the thread about the Dixie Literary Agency (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160387) yet? Please go do so, paying particular attention to the comments by HapiSofi.

We mean you well too. The road that you're on ends with unhappiness, not just for your clients but for you. Avoid the tears and recriminations. Learn to be an agent before you set up in business.

mbroadway
12-01-2009, 03:07 AM
I'm filling saucers with milk now.
This has been such a fun read.

Stacia Kane
12-01-2009, 04:47 AM
Some interesting things:

A Google search for "Kimberly Key" turns up a Myspace page (littered with misspellings and grammar/homonym errors) which claims Kimberly is a published author.

An Amazon search turned up the following:

"Paper Angel," published by our pals at PublishAmerica.

http://www.amazon.com/Paper-Angel-Kimberly-Key/dp/1608134318/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259626993&sr=1-3

This one made me smile. It's a Kindle edition, published by Amazon Digital Services (which means self-published, if I'm not mistaken):

http://www.amazon.com/Staying-Empowered-Power-Struggle-ebook/dp/B001ISKNFU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259627281&sr=1-1

It's non-fiction, about staying empowered and keeping cool in arguments. :) Also, it's $17.95, which is an enormously high price for a self-pubbed ebook, IMO.

Now, here's where it gets REALLY interesting. (Okay, let's back up a second. Does the cover image for the "Ten Keys to Staying Empowered..." book look at all familiar?)

The third and final book Amazon lists under Kimberly Key is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Do-you-remember-Kimberly-Key/dp/B002AD2Q7K/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259626752&sr=8-11

The book is published (Jan 09) by a company called "Royal Trinity Press."

Here's Royal Trinity Press's website:

http://royaltrinitypress.com/default.aspx

I thought the basic layout looked, shall we say, http://keyliteraryagency.web.officelive.com/default.aspx awfully familiar?

But wait! It's not just the layout and design which look familiar.

From the Royal Trinity website's "Sumbissions Guidelines" page:

We are currently seeking submissions in the areas of general fiction, suspense, mystery, thriller, romance, women's fiction, young adult fiction, chick lit, true crime, and music biography.

Please send us a one page query letter and synopsis here on the contact us page to gauge our level of interest. If we are interested, we will send you a reply by email with a request for sample chapters or the entire completed manuscript. Do not send sample chapters or exerts except upon request as this will deem you in the catagory of not properly following the submission guidelines.

Please make sure that you have followed the proper format and that your manuscript is properly edited and is double spaced.

Please put the word QUERY in the subject field of your email. No e-mail attachments will be accepted. Expect a quick response to queries (5 to 10 days).

(Oh, Royal Trinity's "About" page also misspells the name of the company, calling itself "Royalty Trinity.")

From the Key Literary Agency's "Submissions" page:

We are currently seeking submissions in the areas of general fiction, suspense, mystery, thriller, romance, women's fiction, young adult fiction, chick lit, true crime, and music biography. No vampires! If you are not sure what genre your novel falls in, reference the page titled Hints and Tips.

Please send us a one page query letter and synopsis here on the contact us page to gauge our level of interest. If we are interested, we will send you a reply by email with a request for sample chapters or the entire completed manuscript. Do not send sample chapters or exerts except upon request as this will deem you in the catagory of not properly following the submission guidelines.

Please put the QUERY in the subject field of your email. No e-mail attachments will be accepted. Expect a quick response to queries (5 to 10 days).

(Yes, the usual babble about "Giving new writers a chance" appears on both sites, as well.)

(UPDATE: From the Amazon ordering info it appears that Royal Trinity is a Lulu front.)

We round all of this off with a quick visit to WHOIS, where we discover that, indeed, we have Conflict of Interest:

Domain Name.......... royaltrinitypress.com
Creation Date........ 2009-09-30
Registration Date.... 2009-09-30
Expiry Date.......... 2010-09-30
Organisation Name.... Kimberly Key
Organisation Address. PO Box 61359

So, Kimberly...are you an agent or a publisher? Because you can't be both. (Of course, you aren't either, technically, but I'm curious anyway.)

Izz
12-01-2009, 04:56 AM
Wow. That's some good sleuthing, Stacia.

bclement412
12-01-2009, 05:02 AM
I queried them when I was still a beginner and didn't know they were a crappy agency, or that I was able to check them out on P&E, and they rejected me because my word count was not enough. In the end, they did me a favor.

Richard White
12-01-2009, 06:02 AM
Stacia,

What? More chicanery?

Another agent who's also running their own publishing company who's also a vanity published writer?

Where have we seen this before.

Oh, I know.

In the GRAY links in the Index.

This has freight train to disaster written all over it.

HapiSofi
12-01-2009, 08:02 AM
You are correct. I hate vampires to begin with and if I see on more I'll slit my wrists!

Wimp.

If a mere surfeit of vampires can make you want to slit your wrists, what are you going to do when you get Hitler in Oz, Elijah Wood: Psychic Detective, and a time-travel-and-waterskiing novel in the same morning's mail?

HapiSofi
12-01-2009, 08:09 AM
Bravo, Stacia.

Old Hack
12-01-2009, 04:09 PM
Ms Key, now that Momento Mori has answered all of your questions so very thoroughly, I hope you'll have the courtesy to answer hers.

Oh, and that's a lovely piece of research, Ms Kane. Gold star to you.

Saskatoonistan
12-01-2009, 04:15 PM
So, Kimberly...are you an agent or a publisher? Because you can't be both. (Of course, you aren't either, technically, but I'm curious anyway.)

http://www.ussintrepid.org.uk/USS%20Intrepid/Locations/Gorn/gorn.jpg

The Gorn is shocked... shocked...

He also ain't holdin' his breath neither...

Momento Mori
12-01-2009, 06:07 PM
Stacia Kane
A Google search for "Kimberly Key" turns up a Myspace page (littered with misspellings and grammar/homonym errors) which claims Kimberly is a published author.

Kimberly has claimed to me that she published under a pseudonym with Random House, which kind of begs the question why she'd want her legitimate sale to remain a secret when all those vanity published books are already out there in the public domain.

MM

(Currently admiring the Gorny goodness)

Richard White
12-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Writer Beware has the Koi Wonder.

Looks like the Bewares and Background Check Forum has a new mascot too.

Fear the Gorn!

CaoPaux
12-01-2009, 08:01 PM
Kimberly has claimed to me that she published under a pseudonym with Random House, which kind of begs the question why she'd want her legitimate sale to remain a secret when all those vanity published books are already out there in the public domain.

MM

(Currently admiring the Gorny goodness)Wasn't her original claim that she sold to Random House under a pseudonym? If she's now claiming the book is hers, wouldn't that mean she gave them a fake name in order to act as her own agent? (Not that I believe she sold to RH under any name.)

Momento Mori
12-01-2009, 09:54 PM
CaoPaux:
If she's now claiming the book is hers, wouldn't that mean she gave them a fake name in order to act as her own agent? (Not that I believe she sold to RH under any name.)

In Kimberly's persona as Kelly Dexter back on page 1, she said:

KellyDexter:
they are indeed a new agency but one author has already been published. [B]Another has just signed a contract with Random House and as for myself: I'm a signed author with the agency and I'm in talks with Simon & Schuester.

I don't believe that she's sold anything to RH whether under her name or someone else's name either and I'm willing to believe that her only talks with Simon & Schuester [Sic] are of the monologue variety. (And really, how can you take anyone seriously as an agent when they don't know that it's Schuster?)

When Kimberly PMed me though, there was no reference of the S&S talks. Instead she said:

As far as I go: i'm proud to announce that I have been picked up by Random House. I'm published under a pen name.

and

Frances Walker was picked up after her first book was published

I have no idea who Frances Walker is or who her (presumably) second book was published by.

MM

Eirin
12-01-2009, 10:02 PM
I think it's safe to say that this agency does not have the Gorn Stamp of Approval.

James D. Macdonald
12-01-2009, 10:13 PM
I have no idea who Frances Walker is or who her (presumably) second book was published by.

Frances Walker is Frances Mills Walker (http://keyliteraryagency.web.officelive.com/KeyLiteraryAgency.aspx), PublishAmerica author (http://www.amazon.com/Donnas-World-Frances-Mills-Walker/dp/1608136833/). Ms. Walker is reportedly Ms. Key's mother.

CaoPaux
02-04-2011, 08:30 AM
A year later ...

Agency site has been revised, but no sign of clients and/or sales.

Royal Trinity Press is now here: http://royaltrinitypress.books.officelive.com/default.aspx Most recent book: http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/deadly-visions/14358613?productTrackingContext=search_results/search_shelf/center/4#detailsSection

Kimberlykeywriter.com is gone.

Agency MySpace page hasn't been updated since Apr '10, however it mentions working with Gemini Talent (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gemini-Talent/176421495732622#!/pages/Gemini-Talent/176421495732622?v=info).

Last, and certainly least, she has flounced from her personal MySpace page: http://www.myspace.com/princessofsuspense

CaoPaux
01-27-2013, 08:17 PM
Agency and publisher sites are gone. Remaining Lulu page: http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/RoyalTrinity