Tipping

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I never know how much I should give as a tip when I go to the hairdresser.

15 %? More? Less?

Dependent on how much you like your new do?

What do you people think?

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
If you intend to go back I would suggest the standard 15%.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm accustomed to giving a 20% tip, so that's what I go with. If I really like the 'do or the stylist, I'll go as high as 30%.

But, then, I do that for any service provider who receives tips. I tend to get great service on return trips too. ;)

wannawrite

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kcwildwood.net
I hate figuring tips. I just throw money at people until I don't feel cheap, anymore. Usually means that I overtip.

BUT....

Tipping is NOT mandatory. I have been a bartender, waitress, cocktail waitress, chauffer, etc... (the list goes on. I have had a lot of entry-level jobs) and I am usually a pretty decent tipper. But, if the service is really, really bad...for no obvious reason and with no apologies from the service person...then I don't tip. Period. Why should I pay someone to be rude to me? A tip is a form of 'thank-you' for a job well done. Why encourage oafishness?

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree on the purpose of a tip, but it seems many individuals working in service industries have a sense of entitlement about it, regardless of the quality of service performed. It's become an expectation with many younger people in particular, and I have seen rudeness when a tip wasn't considered large enough.

As for hairdressers, I just had a haircut today (at one of the low cost walk-in places). The haircut cost was $8.99 and I gave $12.00. That's a bit high on the percentage, but the original cost is so low I give a little more than the 15-20% would dictate.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm accustomed to giving a 20% tip, so that's what I go with. If I really like the 'do or the stylist, I'll go as high as 30%.

But, then, I do that for any service provider who receives tips. I tend to get great service on return trips too. ;)

What I've having done will cost more than $60, so that's hard to part with as it is. I want to give a reasonable tip, but not break the bank.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I give my barber $20 ($15 + a $5 tip).

That's probably not much help to you though. I'd say if what you're having done is $60, then a $10 tip is enough. For some jobs, tips are the way people makes most of their income, for others the tip is just icing on the cake. Hair stylists are generally not working at minimum wage, even if they received no tips.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
I got a $75 perm/cut about three weeks ago and tipped $15... I'm like you, though. I never know if that's the right amount. If this guy will stay in the business, not die or move or disappear or retire like all the rest have, I'll tip him more!

Of course, it occurs to me they might not leave the business, die, move, disappear, or retire if I'd tip 'em more...

quickWit

Totally Ninja!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm bald, so I go to a shoe shine instead. If my pate is shining like a mirror when he's done I'll throw him an extry buck or two.

:)

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm bald, so I go to a shoe shine instead. If my pate is shining like a mirror when he's done I'll throw him an extry buck or two.

:)

There's an idea. I could try the bald look like quicky.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
I usually tip at least 20%. Higher if the service is good.

Also, I used to be a bartender, so I tip them especially well.

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
I always consider several things: time spent with me, how long I had to wait to get what I wanted, if I was happy with what I got, if the person was friendly (this is always hard to judge, as I'm a very quiet person, so friendly doesn't always mean bubbly and talking, I like a peaceful, mutual quiet moment) and the cost.

In this example, if the hairdresser takes 3 hours to do a simple one color dye and cut (which has happened to me) so I gave absolutely no tip. There's no reason haircuts and colors should take longer than an hour.

In another example, a woman spend a simple half hour doing a trim up and I got my eyebrows done. She was able to get in another customer within that hour, and mine was rather inexpensive, about $30, but I still tipped $10. She was quick, she did it right, I was happy with the result.

Depending on if they were earning minimum wage or less, I might tip more than 15%, if they have done a great job.

I'll still tip if I can tell the person doing my services has had a bad day, made a small mistake, etc. Once I had super slow service at a restaurant, because the waitress had a super big party to tend to and they were always making demands of her. I ordered as simply as I could and left a big tip just because.

I think tipping is always a personal thing, and in the moment, you know how much you should tip.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I despise tips. Don't complain about your wages being low and needing my money to make the rent; complain to your boss and ask for a raise.

I tried giving my last hairdresser a tip though, completely voluntary as I was ecstatic with how she made me look and she wouldn't hear of it. Absolutely refused to take anything more than the price of my highlights.

I drop off boxes of chocs occasionally though as who can refuse choccies, right?

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I cut my own hair.

wut?

No I give a couple extra bucks, but I go to those chain places like Super Cuts and just get a trim. So you know....

But only if the person was nice and did what I asked. The one who made me wanna cry not so much.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I despise tips. Don't complain about your wages being low and needing my money to make the rent; complain to your boss and ask for a raise.
The problem with that is at least in the US for jobs like waiting tables, the boss just pays enough to cover taxes and tips are the wages.

Reaction score
Hmm. Over here we have a minimum wage which, while not a lot, is enough to live on (for most people).

It's just the sense of entitlement that gets to me. If wages aren't enough, why not just bump up the prices in the salon or restaurant to cover them? Seems more honest to me.

Tipping smacks of emotional blackmail.

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
Having grown up in the restaurant business, managed several restaurants and waited tables here are my rules for tipping. (They may or may not apply to hairstylists)

1. Always overtip the first time you go to an establishment if you plan to return. You will forever be remembered as the 'good tipper' no matter how you tip later on.

2. I rarely tip a percentage fo the check. I instead tip by the head count of the table, and a combination of what the meal is, how much service was required during the meal and how well the service was performed.

3. If not tipping or reducing the tip for reasons of service, I always tell the server why there was no tip. I sometimes also tell the manager.

4. Wouldn't it be nice if restaurant owners paid their staff what they were worth instead of a token amount and having them beg their customers for their salary.

Richard

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a 20% + tipper as well. Except at my hair salon which is non-gratuity. So I'm of absolutely no help to you.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Hmm. Over here we have a minimum wage which, while not a lot, is enough to live on (for most people).

It's just the sense of entitlement that gets to me. If wages aren't enough, why not just bump up the prices in the salon or restaurant to cover them? Seems more honest to me.

Tipping smacks of emotional blackmail.
Yay to you.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Has this thread been derailed yet?

If not, I can always post a joke about cow tipping.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I only get my hair cut once in a blue moon and it usually runs me $40-60. I have a friend who is a stylist and my understanding is that with those fancy salons, the stylist pays "rent" for their chair and then sets their own prices. When this is the case, I do not tip. I am assuming the stylist is smart enough to have priced her services to make a living. (And in fact my friend made quite a lot - she put her husband through college.)

Now, if it's just one of those cheap supercuts places, they're just getting a wage and it's probably not much, so if they do a good job I'd tip. But I would rather just let my hair grow out than go to one of those places, because most of the time they make me cry!

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I only get my hair cut once in a blue moon and it usually runs me $40-60. I have a friend who is a stylist and my understanding is that with those fancy salons, the stylist pays "rent" for their chair and then sets their own prices. When this is the case, I do not tip. I am assuming the stylist is smart enough to have priced her services to make a living. (And in fact my friend made quite a lot - she put her husband through college.)

Now, if it's just one of those cheap supercuts places, they're just getting a wage and it's probably not much, so if they do a good job I'd tip. But I would rather just let my hair grow out than go to one of those places, because most of the time they make me cry!

It's a salon. You're probably right about the stylist renting a chair and setting her own prices. I talked to her on her cell phone and she had her appointment book at home with her.

My favorite salon closed last year. The economy. Not enough business. Now I have to start over again somewhere else. This stylist worked at my former place.