PDA

View Full Version : Ladies: Finding Clothes That Fit

C.bronco
05-27-2009, 09:04 PM
Please tell me your woes, and PM me if you have an amusing anecdote or observation an I can quote you.

:)

spamwarrior
05-27-2009, 09:08 PM
Ok. I can find clothes that fit... in the kids' section. I cannot find clothes that fit in the adult's section. Everything is too big, and is for well-endowed people.

Is that a problem? Not when I want to buy T-shirts and jeans. But when I want to buy fancy dresses, like party dresses for weddings and formal events, I can't find anything in my size. GRRRR.

I'm too small, that's it.

scarletpeaches
05-27-2009, 09:09 PM
I can never find jeans to fit. If I get them over my backside they gape at the waist and ones with the right waist measurement won't go over my thighs.

I don't think I'm deformed...

But sometimes I can fit into size eight clothes, and in other shops there's no way I'll get into a ten or a twelve.

Sizing isn't consistent in the UK.

Jersey Chick
05-27-2009, 09:22 PM
I'm short, with curves and a tiny waist (oh, you know you're jealous! ;)). Apparently short women are supposed to be built like 10 year old boys and I just didn't get the memo. I thank God for low-rise jeans because I'm also long waisted - so things don't look right on me, either.

I am - apparently - an utter freak of nature

but cute :D

JamieB
05-27-2009, 09:23 PM
I just PM'd you my story. I don't know if you'll find it funny...it may just be a "had to be there" kind of moment.

C.bronco
05-27-2009, 10:30 PM
I can never find jeans to fit. If I get them over my backside they gape at the waist and ones with the right waist measurement won't go over my thighs.

My problem too

C.bronco
05-27-2009, 10:31 PM
I'm short, with curves and a tiny waist (oh, you know you're jealous! ;)). Apparently short women are supposed to be built like 10 year old boys and I just didn't get the memo. I thank God for low-rise jeans because I'm also long waisted - so things don't look right on me, either.

Low-rise jeans are my nemesis.

spamwarrior
05-27-2009, 11:21 PM

Oh yes, I am jealous. I am built like a 10 year old boy, so I definitely got the memo. ;)

dnic
05-27-2009, 11:23 PM
Sizing is not consistent anywhere.

[insert rant of frustration (What?! What do you mean I'm a 2?! I was a 5 three minutes ago!)].

Apparently short women are supposed to be built like 10 year old boys and I just didn't get the memo.

Yup. I have pretty much the same issue. Although I find that once you figure out that you can fit into a certain style of clothes, shopping goes a lot smoother.

...Until the next trend comes along.

T-shirt and jeans. Just t-shirt and jeans. Make my life a whole lot easier.

jennontheisland
05-27-2009, 11:35 PM
Sizing is not consistent anywhere.

[insert rant of frustration (What?! What do you mean I'm a 2?! I was a 5 three minutes ago!)].

Yup. I've gone from a 2 to a 7 by going 3 stores down in the mall.

Add to that the fact that most retail shops stock on a bell curve with most of the stock in the size 8 to 12 range. Small sizes can be hard to come by. So can large ones.

And why do pants that are sized for someone who is small (size 4) have inseams that are 38 inches long?

MaryMumsy
05-28-2009, 12:06 AM
If you are heavy, they assume you are 5'10". All my skirts swirl around my ankles. I'm only 5'0". And I am too lazy to shorten them. And if you are large chested, but not too big otherwise, the shoulder seams are halfway down your upper arm. And speaking of upper arms, what is with shorter than half sleeves for large women? I want that flab covered up.

MM
guessing the solution is to lose weight and exercise

Velma deSelby Bowen
05-28-2009, 12:33 AM
In my case, like many black women, I have longer arms than average, so most long-sleeved women's shirts look like three-quarter-sleeves on me -- or I can get sleeves the right length, but two sizes larger, so I'm swimming around in them. Or I can get men's shirts, which will fit across the shoulders and down to the wrists, but the buttons gap across the breasts (of which I have an ample pair, possibly a bit more generously endowed than is ideal).

And, as has been mentioned above, don't even get me started on sizing. Or the fact that even something as "simple" as a bra is a nightmare to shop for. Will this 38D be designed for someone whose breasts are far apart, or close together? Is it designed to give you torpedoes? Or four breasts? Or even six, with flesh bulging out over the tops AND under the armpits?

Jersey Chick
05-28-2009, 12:42 AM
I have to admit, I never knew black women had longer than average arms. You really DO learn something new every day.

Old Navy and Gap low riders are my bestest friends ever.

**snerk** four boobs - been there...

Deb Kinnard
05-28-2009, 12:52 AM
You can call me Short Round. It's been loads of fun trying to find clothes for the past 20 or so years. Only recently, it seems, has the industry realized that you didn't suddenly become 5'10" when you got fat.

And don't even talk to me about petite sizes in maternity clothing! Just DON'T! I never knew until I got pregnant with my older girl that I was supposed to grow from 5'0" to 5'7" or better. How this was supposed to happen during conception was never explained to me in Health Class.

One plus is that capris in "normal" plus sizes look like stylish crops on me. I pray they never go out of style.

sassandgroove
05-28-2009, 01:31 AM
I don't even know where to start. I hate clothes shopping. Once I went shopping with a very petite thin girl ( I am tall and round) to the GAP. The Gap- if youdon't know- is called that because it was founded by a guy who had trouble finding jeans that fit. He was filling the gap. Well by the time I was a teen in the mid 90's The Gap was part of the problem. They didn't have jeans that fit her or me. Old Navy doesn't really either, and they are a Gap company.

Polenth
05-28-2009, 02:15 AM
I like to dress in modest and comfortable clothing, which isn't easy to get for women. You can buy trousers, but tops are clingy, see-through, low-cut, short length or have tiny/no sleeves. The idea of loose, comfortable, women's tops seems to be alien. Fortunately, they go down to my size in the men's section.

Trousers are always too long. Some places do shorter legs on trousers, but they never seem to stock enough to meet the demand, so mostly I have to buy longer and roll the bottoms.

The biggest issue is bras though. I need a small size and the shops have apparently decided that I don't exist. When they do stock small sizes, they're often just smaller versions of styles designed for well-endowed women. Underwires and extra support are uncomfortable and unnecessary.

The upside is my clothes usually last for ten years or more, so I don't have to go through all that very often.

Izunya
05-28-2009, 03:33 AM
The biggest issue is bras though. I need a small size and the shops have apparently decided that I don't exist. When they do stock small sizes, they're often just smaller versions of styles designed for well-endowed women. Underwires and extra support are uncomfortable and unnecessary.

Underwires are always unnecessary. I am (last time I looked) a triple D cup, and I always remove the underwires with scissors right after I buy the bra. If they're well-made, they'll hold up. If they aren't, that piece of wire is eventually going to work its way out and stab me in the ribs.

Oh, and I apparently don't exist either. Last time I ended up spending sixty dollars per bra :e2thud:because I had to go to an unreasonably high end store to get them.

It's kind of weird, really. I thought big breasts were in demand in this culture. You think there'd be more (I'm so going to hell) support.

Izunya

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-28-2009, 03:50 AM
Izunya, seriously, take a look at Goddess brand bras. Your DDD is equal to their F. Well made and good fit and durable. And about half what you're paying. You can get 'em online at Woman Within (http://www.womanwithin.com/) or OneStopPlus.com (http://www.onestopplus.com/default.aspx?affiliate_id=003&affiliate_location_id=01)

fairy86
05-28-2009, 03:58 AM
I have a gigantic chest . . . I went to a ball with my husband a couple months ago and I had such a hard time finding a dress--I ended up buying a very nice Nicole Miller evening gown. I'm a size 6 but I've always had to buy extra large tops. It sucks!

JrFFKacy
05-28-2009, 05:39 AM
I hate the way sizing is so inconsistent in women's clothes.

When I'm buying work clothes, it's sooooo much easier just to go to the men's section, pull a pair of 32/30 Work World, or Big Bill pants off the shelf and take them to the check-out. But those kinds of pants really aren't that fashionable, or sexy when I need to look good. So I'm forced to sort through the whole freaking women's jean rack and still not find anything that's not too low rise, or too tight through the crotch. I hate shopping for clothes!

I'm a 5'7", fairly skinny (healthy weight, but not at all big) sort of person. It's nearly impossible to find new clothes that fit. However, I can go to the Goodwill, or Salvation Army and find stuff there. My current favourite jeans are Gap 'long and lean' style jeans. Bought them for about $8 and they were nearly brand new.

As was mentioned above, I also like to dress in modest comfortable stuff, so shirts are hard to come by too. I like boys size 18 (or Large, X-large depending on the store) t-shirts from WalMart or Zellers. They always fit good, look nice and come in all sorts of cool colours.

Bras, well lets not go there...
O.K. when I finally found the type that fit good I saved the box so I could find it again. Just my luck, when I went back to the store, the clerk told me that unfortunately, that style was no longer available (she was sad too, because it was also her favourite...).

IceCreamEmpress
05-28-2009, 05:41 AM
There is zero consistency in sizing in women's clothes in the US, even within stores. I am in theory a size 12 or 14, and in the past six months I've bought clothes ranging from size 6 to size 22, all of which fit me equally well (or equally poorly, whichever way you want to look at it).

I am going to teach all my goddaughters to tailor their own clothes--especially the one who is related to me, just in case she inherits the broadshouldered/busty/narrow-hipped physique of my maternal ancestors!

Birol
05-28-2009, 05:51 AM
Women's pants also don't have inseam measurements. You can get them in three lengths: petite, average, tall. As with other things people have mentioned, there's no consistency. In some stores, I can "just" get by with a petite, that is until I take it home and wash it a few times. Average either comes just to the bottom of my shoes -- not enough extra material to hem but it brushes against the ground and wears away the cuffs (this is especially true in jeans)or, more likely these days, goes out past my toes, so I have to budget getting them altered into the price. (Me? I own a needle.)

And, yeah, even if I'm buying two pairs of the same pants, I try them both on because you can never tell what will fit beautifully and what will have you lying on the bed sucking in your gut in order to get them zipped up.

C.bronco
05-28-2009, 05:54 AM
90% of the clothes made are for ectomorphs IMHO.
I am not one. The "curvy" cuts don't fit me either.

It was a whole lot easier when waistbands actually sat at the waist.

Any empire waist tops or dresses make me look pregnant too, and that's all I see out there right now.

sassandgroove
05-28-2009, 06:02 AM
yes empire waist = melooking pregnant.

and WTF is up with fashion magazines touting the wrap dress as the dress that looks good on anyone? Like hell it does.

Sass- thinking of the woman she saw a Burger King who had one on that while she could get it on, it clearly didn't "fit".

Vespertilion
05-28-2009, 06:20 AM
They made me cry at Lane Bryant, does that count?
I hate to shop--I've always been an awkward size, and so I've very rarely in my life gotten to look cute. When Lane Bryant redid their line, and started getting in really cute stuff, I used to go in and hunt through the smaller sizes for oopses, because, you know, sometimes they can be cut just right

One of the sales girls had been eyeing me, and then came over and asked, coolly, if she could help me. I told her what I was doing, and she assured me they would have nothing to fit me.
"But I wear an 18."
"No, you do not."
"I assure you these jeans that I am wearing (and are too tight in the goddamn thighs, and too loose in the waist) are an 18."
She rolled her eyes, and mine started to sting because I just didn't have anything to say. I wasn't about to bend over and show her the tag in the waistband of my ill-fitting highwaters. Sucked. Ass.
The girl at The Buckle a week later was so, so sweet in helping go through the biggest sized jeans they carried that I bought the most expensive pair of jeans I have ever owned (loved them to shreds) and brought her cookies.

Cranky
05-28-2009, 06:21 AM
If I could bring myself to do it, I'd get rid of every single pair of jeans and/or pants that I own. They either fit correctly through the waist and hips (freakin' miracle when THAT happens) and end up far too long, or it's the other way 'round. Girls size 16 pants are the perfect length, but I have had five children. I am not very big (size 0-2 depending on who is making the pants), but I do have freakin' hips.

Tops are easier, since I don't have a too large/too small bustline to deal with. I do have narrow shoulders, though, which ends up making long-sleeved shirts too long, most of the time. Also too baggy.

Bleah. Most times, shopping for clothes leaves me frustrated and close to tears, no joke. I love shoe shopping ever so much more!

Clair Dickson
05-28-2009, 06:34 AM
Oo! Oo! I can play in this thread!

Some time ago, Hubby and I were talking about women's sizes. I told him that I am a size 10 (give or take). He was dumbfounded. He couldn't warp his mind around the idea that I am almost a "plus" size woman. Good thing I don't get my panties (why are panties a different sizing system than jeans, BTW?) in bunch over my clothing size as somehow defining me. I'm almost 5'7" and hardly plus sized.

I do most of my shopping in the junior's section. I don't have nearly enough boobs for the women's section. Every single shirt I have ever tried on in the women's section gaps on the front because there's nothing to fill it in. I also buy bras from the "teen" section in the undie department. You know, for those girls who are just starting to develop... Kohl's is my go-to-store for shopping. They have a large junior's section, including dress clothes.

I can totally rock tank tops and jeans. Jeans I get in the women's dept IF I can find "Tall" jeans. I read somewhere that the average inseam for women's jeans is 32". WTF! I mean, I go over to the men's department and I can get jeans in all different lenghts. And sometimes I do get them. Of course, I think women should just get away from this Bullsh*t sizing crap and just label the jeans like men. I'm a 29/30x34, thankyou. That's a lot easier than trying to figure out if it's an 8, 9, 10, 11, or 12, and finding "Tall" pants is like a deranged scavenger hunt. Oh, let's not forget that "Tall" pants are usually just a little bit too long for me. Too short for Tall, too tall for Average.

I have a dreadful time finding formal or dress clothes. Only once, ever, did I put on a dress that I thought I actually looked good in. That happened to by my wedding dress. I think it was the pouffy skirt. I don't know what it is, but I look either pregnant or like it's the wrong size. You'd think being tall and skinny would mean just the opposite... Anything the ties, bunches, or otherwise is less than smooth and flat across the middle makes me look like I'm expecting.

I don't even find solace in shoes. I am a danger to myself and others in heels-- mainly because I'm distracted. Most dress shoes like that make my feet look unusually large. Which, my feet are fairly large anyway. (My husband can fit in my shoes... we're about the same size. He's a six foot tall man.) I generally just wear sneakers or a chunky pair of black Skechers. Since they're chunky, they hide the fact that I clown feet.

I am also very particular about the way clothes feel and fit on my body. I hate banded bottom hems on shirts almost as much as I hate giggly girls. I hate things around my neck... I cannot wear turtlenecks AT ALL as I feel like I'm being strangled. V-necks have to be modest or they're, um, inappropriate to wear around high school boys.

I hate clothes shopping. I try to avoid it and at this point am in maintenance mode where I largely shop only to replace worn-out or damaged clothing. Thank god!

Okay. Sorry for the rant. I really f*king hate trying to find clothes to fit.

Vespertilion
05-28-2009, 06:45 AM
Oh, and why are bras over a C-cup suddenly plain and orthopedic-looking?

They had a segment on the Today Show about sports bras once (I know, sports bras aren't the prettiest things to begin with) and the A-cup girl was just jogging away on her treadmill in her super-cute bra with contrasting stitching--which smelled like peppermint, for pete's sake. The B-cup had mesh inserts for breathability, and some hot styling. The C-cup wasn't bad, but it was starting to head down-hill with the perks. The D-cup girl was gorgeous and fit--you know how some people would loook weird skinny?--and not even panting on that treadmill, and her bra looked like it was issued. I understand that you need a lot of function for a bra in that size-range, but what went with the contrasting stitching, the sexy cutout in back, the soothing peppermint smell?

Grrr.

dolores haze
05-28-2009, 06:51 AM
Shopping for swimsuits.

Aaaaaaaargh!

That's all I have to say.

Vespertilion
05-28-2009, 06:54 AM
Clair Dickson,

Everyone looks like they're expecting with those high-waisted dresses and tops. Everyone. I can't even imagine how they've stayed so popular, except they do look very comfortable.

Tube-tops; I cannot explain them.

I also saw a terry-cloth one-piece, shorts-on-bottom...thingy yesterday. The ones with the tube-like top that stays up with a shoelace tied around the neck? Yeah, that one. If you love your chubby daughters, do not make them wear those. Or the swim-suits that are supposed to defy gravity in the same fashion. Social mortification is inevitable.

jennontheisland
05-28-2009, 07:37 AM
I want to know why all bras smaller than a C cup have boobs of their own.

You know what I mean.

Clair Dickson
05-28-2009, 07:40 AM
I want to know why all bras smaller than a C cup have boobs of their own.

You know what I mean.

Yes, yes I do. Hubby doesn't care for it either...

I'm not ashamed of having modest size bosoms. I snagged me a husband anyway.

Vespertilion
05-28-2009, 08:00 AM
Strangely enough, C and D cups are also guilty of coming pre-boobed.

heyjude
05-28-2009, 03:11 PM
My pet peeve is how clothes are cut. They lay down a mountain of material and cut straight down into the shape (jeans come out the worst). The material on top ends up being cut smaller than the material on the bottom... hence the difference in fit even in the same size.

If you find jeans you like, try on different pairs in the same size. You never know where they were in the stack. I've only found one brand (Tommy Hilfiger) that's been consistent (size 2, go Tommy!).

fringle
05-28-2009, 03:28 PM
I'm 5'2 and 105 lbs, but I buy mostly designer clothes which are all designed for models. I have to get (no joke) a foot lopped off of every pair of jeans I buy. Which wouldn't be so bad if most jeans didn't have that slightly worn in look at the knee. I can never buy those bc the worn in part ends up being the last 6 inches of the jean, which unsurprisingly is not a great look.

This past winter, I could not find a ski suit to fit me no matter how hard I tried. Everything was way too big. Finally I had to go to the girls section and buy a size 12/14. And, naturally, the only jacket in that size left was hot pink. My husband found this hilarious, so every time we'd finish a run he'd say, "Babe, you're the brightest b**** on the mountain."

backslashbaby
05-28-2009, 03:44 PM
If I get shirts that fit my shoulders and bustline, they look like a potato sack at the waist. Now, I'm trying to whittle my waist as it is, so that does surprise me.

Same deal with butt-to waist. If the hips fit, the waist is too big.

What I don't get is all the horizontal stripes around. They are the cutest pattern, but they really make me look huge. If they went vertically, it'd be cute pattern and slimming-elongating. Man, I love stripes, too.

sheadakota
05-28-2009, 04:11 PM
Oo! Oo! I can play in this thread!

Some time ago, Hubby and I were talking about women's sizes. I told him that I am a size 10 (give or take). He was dumbfounded. He couldn't warp his mind around the idea that I am almost a "plus" size woman.

Wait- a size 10 is a PLUS Size???? Really?

Maryn
05-28-2009, 06:43 PM
Not in my world. Maybe in France.

Maryn, glad she sews

C.bronco
05-28-2009, 06:51 PM
I wish Maryn lived in my house! :D

C.bronco
05-28-2009, 06:54 PM
I interviewed at a Jospeh A. Bank men's clothing store where they tailor each suit for the buyer. I told the employer, "I wish they had a store like this for women!"
He smiled and said, "A lot of people say that."
Buying women's suits is no picnic either, but not nearly as bad as buying jeans.

Stacia Kane
05-28-2009, 08:22 PM
Ugh. I'm short-waisted, which means I have a wide ribcage, which means finding evening-type clothing and dresses is very difficult. If it's a big enough size to comfortably zip over my ribs, the "boob space" is waaay too big (I'm only a B cup) and it's miles too long and too big everywhere else. If it fits in the waist it won't even come close to zipping over the ribs.

Like Fringle I'm about 5'2 and 105 lbs., so generally a size 0-2, and finding stuff in that size that isn't too small in the ribs is very difficult, even though it's often too big in the waist.

I'm also pretty straight up-and-down and am tired of buying "tailored" skirts that have big empty pockets of fabric on the sides where the hips should be. I look like a child in my mother's clothes. Who are the women those things fit? They curve straight out from the waist, practically at a right angle, and fall all the way to the knee.

When my brother got married I went with his fiancee to look at bridesmaids dresses, (since I was a bridesmaid). One of the dresses we tried on was strapless. I actually really liked it on; it zipped over my ribs and everything and (I thought) flattered my non-bust, and I was just about to tell my future SIL how I liked it when the saleslady announced to the whole store, really loudly, "We're going to need to do some alterations if you get that one, because you're not big enough up top to fill it."

ideagirl
05-28-2009, 09:51 PM
Please tell me your woes, and PM me if you have an amusing anecdote or observation an I can quote you.

:)

One great thing about being petite: the shoes displayed in shoe stores are my size (6). I can try shoes on right there, without bothering/being bothered by an attendant.

The problem with (1) being petite (short/slim) AND (2) having an hourglass figure: (1) very hard to even find clothes that are even close enough to the right size to bother trying on; and (2) nothing, nothing, nothing fits. If the bust fits, the waist is too big. If the waist fits, the bust is too small.

jennontheisland
05-28-2009, 10:20 PM
(2) nothing, nothing, nothing fits. If the bust fits, the waist is too big. If the waist fits, the bust is too small.

And this is even worse if you're wearing a bra that came with its own boobs.

MaryMumsy
05-28-2009, 10:22 PM
When my brother got married I went with his fiancee to look at bridesmaids dresses, (since I was a bridesmaid). One of the dresses we tried on was strapless. I actually really liked it on; it zipped over my ribs and everything and (I thought) flattered my non-bust, and I was just about to tell my future SIL how I liked it when the saleslady announced to the whole store, really loudly, "We're going to need to do some alterations if you get that one, because you're not big enough up top to fill it."

She obviously didn't work on commission. You missed a great opportunity. You should have said loudly, that's OK I'm getting a boob job next week. :D

MM

ABekah
05-28-2009, 10:23 PM
I'll second all the petite comments. Petite jeans are great, especially the ones from Ann Taylor. But tops and dresses? They assume that petite women want boxy tops that are cut off too short. It's my legs that are short, people. Not my waist.

On the other hand, my arms are too short for normal sleeves. Usually have to roll them up or have them taken in.

Lack of size consistancy. Seriously. When I can buy three different sizes from the same store, there's a problem.

Dresses: way too large on top and too small on the bottom. I'm not proportionately sized; I'm a size bigger on the bottom. I guess that's more my own problem than the clothing manufacturers? Ha.

I really wish more stores would carry petite sizes. I can't buy without trying on, and don't appreciate being told to shop online.

Is anyone else tired of the see through, skin tight t-shirt layering trend?

stormie
05-28-2009, 10:27 PM
Yep. Same here with the petite problem. I'm short and medium weight. But great prices when you buy in the kid's department! And kid's shoes--sandals and flip-flops and sneakers. Now if I could just find high heels in the kids dept.!

As for dresses, I buy the smallest in petite and still have to get it taken up.

And I wear padded bras. :D Always padded bras.

Jeans?! Forget it! Can't buy kids sizes there. Waist too big. They either fall off my hips and I'm constantly pulling them up, or they're too small and I can't breathe. I finally found a pair that works (adult size) and I bought several.

fringle
05-28-2009, 10:58 PM
So many short chicks! We need our own thread.

jennontheisland
05-28-2009, 11:14 PM
So many short chicks! We need our own thread.
LOL Totally.

And not everyone who's short is 'petite.' I'm short and thin, but my legs are apparently oddly long. I don't know how many times I've had sales staff suggest I try the 'petite' sizes when their regular pants don't fit right, only to have the petites fit in the hips and waist, but be 4 inches too short.

Pomegranate
05-28-2009, 11:17 PM
IME, plus size starts at 14W not 10 (not that that means anything with size variations.)

I live in southern california and I'm a size 14. Most "regular" women's clothing departments go up to size 14, but have little or no selection in that size. Most plus size stores start at 14, but again, have little or no selection in that size. If I can find things my size, the waist is too big, the legs are too long, the sleeves are too tight, or they are billowy where I'm nipped in. ugh. I live in no-clothes land.

I hate shopping. I used to have a job that required me to travel to the South Carolina twice a month. I hated that much travel, but I shopped at every opportunity because ALL the stores carried my size. That was 10 years ago and I'm still wearing some of the pieces I bought back then.

I either need to visit the south again or take up sewing.

(Oh and don't get me started on shoes.)

paperbacklove
05-28-2009, 11:38 PM
Oh, I belong in this thread~!

Underwires are always unnecessary. I am (last time I looked) a triple D cup, and I always remove the underwires with scissors right after I buy the bra. If they're well-made, they'll hold up. If they aren't, that piece of wire is eventually going to work its way out and stab me in the ribs.

Oh, and I apparently don't exist either. Last time I ended up spending sixty dollars per bra :e2thud:because I had to go to an unreasonably high end store to get them.

If your underwire is digging in/stabbing you/coming out on its own soon after you've bought the bra, you should seriously consider remeasuring yourself (And not the "add five inches" way, either! Ugh, that's so wrong! :Soapbox:) or buying better quality bras.

It's kind of weird, really. I thought big breasts were in demand in this culture. You think there'd be more (I'm so going to hell) support.

RIGHT! :Shrug: (You had me :ROFL: at "support," though.)

I have a large cup size and a small band size, and I have to either order bras from overseas or buy them waaaay too large in the band and alter them down so I get a fitting cup and the right band. The latter is more work, but far less expensive.

Clothes shopping is horrible; I end up having to buy things that fit my bust and look like a tent everywhere else, then alter down. Oh, did I mention I'm also 5'1"? Yeah. A day of clothes shopping kicks off like :e2thud: and ends with me in tears more often than not. Why is it so difficult to find clothes that fit! :rant:

If I couldn't sew, I don't know what I'd do.

Shopping for swimsuits.

Aaaaaaaargh!

That's all I have to say.

I haven't been swimming in years because of this.

sassandgroove
05-29-2009, 12:38 AM
They made me cry at Lane Bryant, does that count?
I hate to shop--I've always been an awkward size, and so I've very rarely in my life gotten to look cute. When Lane Bryant redid their line, and started getting in really cute stuff, I used to go in and hunt through the smaller sizes for oopses, because, you know, sometimes they can be cut just right

One of the sales girls had been eyeing me, and then came over and asked, coolly, if she could help me. I told her what I was doing, and she assured me they would have nothing to fit me.
"But I wear an 18."
"No, you do not."
"I assure you these jeans that I am wearing (and are too tight in the goddamn thighs, and too loose in the waist) are an 18."
She rolled her eyes, and mine started to sting because I just didn't have anything to say. I wasn't about to bend over and show her the tag in the waistband of my ill-fitting highwaters. Sucked. Ass.
The girl at The Buckle a week later was so, so sweet in helping go through the biggest sized jeans they carried that I bought the most expensive pair of jeans I have ever owned (loved them to shreds) and brought her cookies.You should tell the manager.

Swordswoman
05-29-2009, 12:46 AM
Bra sizes. They are the worst. But if you want a true anecdote about it, try this one:

Two years ago I was getting ready for my wedding. I lost a ton of weight (probably literally), saved a ton of money (also probably literally) and booked a personal shopper at Harvey Nichols (Knightsbridge, London, arguably posher than Harrods) in order to find a suitable wedding dress for an old bag like myself.

All fine, but the dress we all loved was strapless, and my less-fat-than-it-used-to-be figure couldn't hold the thing up. They suggested an uplifting strapless bra, but I no longer knew my correct breast size. Enter a 'breast specialist' who measures me intimately in every direction, then accidentally presses a little hard with the measuring tape and says 'Sorry, did I hurt you?' I look at her blankly, and she whispers confidentially 'You know, the ...er...the lump.'

Lump?

I went to the ladies' loo, checked it out, and she was right. A great big lump. It could have been there for ages, lurking unnoticed under the flab. I went back to the changing room, endured all the lying 'oh, you'll look so lovely on your wedding' talk, and finally got the hell out. Next day I booked to see the doctor.

Fortunately, there was a happy ending - after a million scans, mammograms and a biopsy the lump finally turned out to be benign. But it might not have been - and I might have saved my life simply by not knowing my bra size...

Not sure what the moral is, but it's what happened.

sassandgroove
05-29-2009, 12:48 AM
(2) nothing, nothing, nothing fits. If the bust fits, the waist is too big. If the waist fits, the bust is too small.
This applies to large women too. (me.)

EFCollins
05-29-2009, 01:16 AM
Okay. This is going to sound so awful... but I frigging hate clothes! I have rather long legs for a chick who's only 5'6"-5'8" depending on the person measuring. (I've gotten all kind of different heights from different sources: doctors offices etc.) And buying jeans that fit my legs and my rear-end is a mess. My thighs are a bit larger than what would be proportional for my body. My waist is tiny and my boobs are two different sizes. (One is a slim d and the other a heavy b! Sheesh... breast-fed my daughter and she only liked one side. Yeah...) So, I have lots of fun finding clothes that flatter my odd shaped body. It's not that i'm a larger girl, just that everything is so out of proportion. I have four foot long legs and a foot and a half long body. It's so weird buying tall AND slim jeans (and good luck finding them too. I have better luck with trouser style) and kids shirts. Oh yeah, making an outfit out of that combination is just super, too.

sassandgroove
05-29-2009, 01:18 AM
Ok so thin small people can't find clothes. larger tall women can't find clothes. Tall thing women can't find clothes. Short large women can't find clothes. Who am I missing? Who do they make clothes for anyway?

scarletpeaches
05-29-2009, 01:18 AM
Deformed people.

As hot women, we're all screwed, then, huh?

EFCollins
05-29-2009, 01:22 AM
Ok so thin small people can't find clothes. larger tall women can't find clothes. Tall thing women can't find clothes. Short large women can't find clothes. Who am I missing? Who do they make clothes for anyway?

They make clothes for the imaginary people we all wish we could look like. I do wish real women would design clothes for the normally abnormal shaped bodies we have.

Hmm... multimillion dollar idea? I wish.

Clair Dickson
05-29-2009, 02:37 AM
IME, plus size starts at 14W not 10 (not that that means anything with size variations.)

But in women's sizes, 10 is only two sizes from the top (14). That's, "almost" to me, esp. when compared to how close 10 is to, well, 4, 5, 6, and the other "skinny" sizes.

That's all. I never said plus sizes started at 10.

Again, if I based my worth on my jean size, then I would be upset that I was a 10 instead of a four or whatever. As some women are, even without taking different body types and structures into place. (Even if I lost fifty pounds, my hip bones just never would fit into anything less than a size 10 (ish))

Clair Dickson
05-29-2009, 02:38 AM

QFT. And I have no idea. Mannequin women? Or the 1/2% of the population that is completely proportional.

Linda Adams
05-29-2009, 03:46 AM
Buying shoes!

I despise buying shoes. Most of my life, I've had no more than two pairs at any given time (I have six now--that's a record for me). The problem is that my feet are very wide (so noted by one shoe clerk who remarked, "That's the widest I've seen"), and I have an ankle that turns way too easily. The bad ankle eliminates anything with any kind of heel (about 98% of the shoes), and the wide sizing eliminates nearly everything else. I usually have to go up an entire size plus wide to find anything that comes close to fitting and try on many, many shoes--and still worry about getting a shoe that doesn't quite fit right. And, of course, by buying up a size, the back part of the shoe usually doesn't fit very well. I've even out of desperation bought men's shoes. Someone suggesting buying the wide sizes online, but I have to try them on to see if they fit, because there's a pretty big chance even the wide size won't fit right.

Some ancedotes for you:

Shoes: I'd just bought a new pair of shoes, had them like two weeks. They fit reasonably well, but had a strange heel to them. Not high heeled--these were loafers. I had my shoe inserts in (that keeps me from turning my ankle), so I wasn't expecting any problems. As I'm walking down the lawn, I hit a slight bump in the grass, and my foot turns. Down I went. I should have tossed the shoes at that point. But I hated the thought of going and buying another pair of shoes.

Off I go a week later to a work conference. I'm doing the audio visual support for it, and I'm sitting at a table with the projector in front of 100 people. My boss gets up to give some awards, so I scurry off the stage to they can take pictures. The moment I hit the carpet, my ankle turns on that funny heel and down I go. There's a collective gasp--everyone saw me fall. I bounce back up and go sit down. The rest of the day, my boss kept saying, "Don't fall!" I tossed the shoes when I got home. The plus side of it is that since then I haven't been afraid to give speeches in front of a large audience. The worst had already happened to me!

Shoes: Army boots were great for me. Nice and wide. The problem was the choroframs that were required for the Class A/B unform. I had to have a pair of pumps (they counted as pointy, and I can't wear pointy), and a pair of low-quarters. Neither one fit right; they didn't even stock a wide size. The low-quarters were better. But the pumps--ten minutes was all I could stand in them because my toes were jammed into the point. Very painful, but most of the time, I didn't have to wear them for more than half an hour--and that was just standing in formation.

Alas, I got assigned to a detail where I had to wear the skirt and the pumps. And I had to walk around a lot, most of the day. I was in so much pain that I could barely walk. Because of the way I was walking, the senior NCO told me, "You're a disgrace to the uniform." Try wearing shoes that don't fit all day and see how you walk!

Clothes: Also from the army. For the Class B, we had to wear this fitted green shirt. I ended up needing to replace mine, so I went to Clothing Sales. I hadn't need to get new shirts since I'd been issued them, so it was quite a surprise to find out how skewed the sizing was. Every store I go into, I know that if I pick my size, it'll probably fit. In Clothing Sales, I had to buy three sizes up. One of the other women reported that she was a size 16 and had to buy size 22. Yet, the Army said their sizing was accurate ...

stormie
05-29-2009, 04:50 AM
Reading all these posts got me thinking (and that's a first today). Anyway, I have two young adult sons and a husband. In tees, one is a medium, one a large, one an XL. Same with jeans and pants. No variations when a manufacturer makes guys clothes. No matter what store they buy from, they just get their usual size and that's it. Even shoes, no problem.

It's definitely a conspiracy against women.

MaryMumsy
05-29-2009, 05:25 AM

QFT

And why is it that men can wear jeans or chinos (all identical) every day of the week and it is fine, but if I wear a denim skirt (one of three, not identical) two days in a row the hubby comments about it?

MM

Birol
05-29-2009, 05:28 AM
One great thing about being petite: the shoes displayed in shoe stores are my size (6). I can try shoes on right there, without bothering/being bothered by an attendant.

Being petite has nothing to do with shoe size. Adding layers to the middle does not mean your feet magically grow.

Komnena
05-29-2009, 05:37 AM
I buy a lot of shirts from an upscale thrift store in my neighborhood.

RLB
05-29-2009, 05:47 AM
Bra shopping. Ugh. I'm on the hunt right now (though I just realized the Victoria Secret semi-annual sale starts in a couple of weeks, so I may wait for that). I'm a D-ish cup and I agree with the poster that said anything larger than a B or C is just utilitarian and ugly. Do they not think big-chested woman want sexy, frilly bras too? And also whoever observed that the large size bras come with their own boobs too. Why would I want that??

On a related note: bikini tops. Why can't more of them come sized like bras, instead of just S, M, L? It's so hard to find a cute two piece with decent coverage and support. I'll never be able to do those tiny fabric triangle tops!

As to clothes shopping, I've experimented with different stores and brands over the years and I know which ones make clothes that fit and flatter my body. There are some designers I've given up on completely that look great on my friends. I've also realized that as far as clothes go, you tend to get what you pay for. So while Target and Old Navy clothes may look cute on the hanger, I find them ill-fitting and poorly-made. I'd rather bite the bullet and pay more for quality and fit.

EFCollins
05-29-2009, 05:51 AM
And what about the bras with a cup made entirely out of large lace? Sure, they do fit me better (because the lace stretches a bit) but I always end up looking like I have hives on my boobs. (The holes in the lace and my skin pushing through giving it a hooved up, marshmallow cream like look). Grr.

I wish I had enough guts to be a nudist or naturalist or whatever they're called anymore.

Cath
05-29-2009, 05:52 AM
Oh, and why are bras over a C-cup suddenly plain and orthopedic-looking?

In my size they all seem to be reducer bras - you know what? I'm perfectly happy with my boobs, I don't want to shrink 'em. They make everthing else look in proportion... :D

It's true they're extortionate in the States - I just came back from the UK with over $200 worth of bras (10 in all) that I would have paid $60 or $70 *each* for here.

And don't get me started on finding clothes that fit - I'm a plus size with a long back, small waist, big hips, short legs, and oddly perky boobs for an E-cup. I'm happy if I can find clothes that both do up and stay up.

RLB
05-29-2009, 05:52 AM
Reading all these posts got me thinking (and that's a first today). Anyway, I have two young adult sons and a husband. In tees, one is a medium, one a large, one an XL. Same with jeans and pants. No variations when a manufacturer makes guys clothes. No matter what store they buy from, they just get their usual size and that's it. Even shoes, no problem.

Ha! I actually have more trouble shopping for my husband, at least in the shirt area. He's tall, with a long torso, and lean. So large shirts are the right length but too baggy and mediums are too short but fit to the body correctly. Hmph.

Devil Ledbetter
05-29-2009, 06:26 AM

I don't think I'm deformed...

I think we might have the same shape. Small waist, curvy hips = nearly impossible to find jeans. The GAP has a style called Long and Lean that work pretty well. In fact, they look a lot better on me than on the traditionally scrawny model they have on their web site. (If I do say so myself. ;))

And no, as a matter of fact I'm not long and lean.

MaryMumsy
05-29-2009, 06:44 AM
Regarding the bras for full-figured girls: last summer I had great luck at Mervyn's (may they rest in peace), but the one I bought four of (two white, two black) is made by Vanity Fair. It is shown on the front page of the website, vanityfairlingerie dot com

They don't show bigger than a D on the website, but I got 36DDD at the store. My biggest bra complaint is that most of them are very wide (up and down) between the boobs. I like low cut tops and this VF one doesn't show. It also doesn't make that third boob effect in the middle like so many industrial strength underwire bras do. If you find a retailer with VF you might be able to find it.

MM

C.bronco
05-29-2009, 07:52 AM

Ten-year-old boys. The designers like them best; that's why all the models are shaped like them.

Here here for the large rib-cage problem. I have broad shoulders for my size too, which means medium or 8-10 tops fit fine most of the time. Most of the tops, however, are cut for women who have more ample accoutrements, which means anything plunging falls just above my belly-button.
But then I'm a 00 to size 5 on the bottom depending on which store or department I get it in, and even then it never fits properly for one of many reasons.

Before the crack induced sizing began, I was a six. Life was easy.

I have to stick to classic button-downs, t-shirts and plain tank-tops. All of the cute, trendy tops are a wash.

Vespertilion
05-29-2009, 08:06 AM
Sassandgroove way up at 12:38:

I actually wrote the company--twice--and didn't even get a gift card.

I've got to go shopping soon, though. I walk about three miles to work and my khakis always wear out in the inner thigh from my purposeful drudge. Yeah, I know I should wear something else for the walk, but I haven't been shopping in so long I ONLY have three pair of work khakis and the fading black polos to go with. I feel so preeetty.

IceCreamEmpress
05-30-2009, 01:41 AM
Being petite has nothing to do with shoe size. Adding layers to the middle does not mean your feet magically grow.

I'm pretty sure ideagirl means "petite" here in the sense of "shorter than 5'4"," which is the sense it's used in the US clothing industry.

Of course, I have a 5'2" friend who wears size 10 US shoes, so I'm not sure that being shorter than average necessarily translates into smaller feet than average.

Izunya
05-30-2009, 02:20 AM
Am I the only one who has completely given up on jeans?

Well, I have two pairs of denim pants with an elastic waistband, but that's not what most people mean when they say jeans. Other than that, I wear khakis and sort of dressy-casual pants. I don't have really high clothing standards, but I demand that my pants fit both my hips and my legs. If women's clothing had inch measurements like men's pants, it might be different, but as it is, I can think of better ways to spend an entire day.

Izunya

StephanieFox
05-30-2009, 04:14 AM
I'm a freak. I have a small waist, big hips and ass, almost no tits. I lost about a half-cup from my right breast with the lumpectomy so it's smaller than the other one. I haven't worn a bra since 1971 since they don't fit me. They ride up, up up. My rib cage is large, too. Plus, I'm 5'2" and a size 10.

Everything has to be shortened. That's another $8 to $20.

When I was choosing wedding dresses, I called in the seamstress and told her that I'd chosen one, but it would have to be shortened a lot.

"Oh, that's not much to shorten," she said. "Come and stand on the platform and I'll hem it up."

"I'm already standing on the platform," I said.

They had to take a foot of material off the bottom.

MaryMumsy
05-30-2009, 04:29 AM
When I was choosing wedding dresses, I called in the seamstress and told her that I'd chosen one, but it would have to be shortened a lot.

"Oh, that's not much to shorten," she said. "Come and stand on the platform and I'll hem it up."

"I'm already standing on the platform," I said.

They had to take a foot of material off the bottom.

I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time, but it's funny now.

MM
glad her mother knew how to sew and made her wedding dress

ideagirl
05-30-2009, 08:46 PM

By petite I meant both short and slim. Typically the shorter the person, the smaller the feet and vice-versa (though I've certainly known exceptions--but generally height and shoe size do correspond to some extent). And so does weight: a friend of mine lost a shoe size when she lost 40 pounds; that's not remotely unusual.

ideagirl
05-30-2009, 08:47 PM
Bra shopping. Ugh. I'm on the hunt right now (though I just realized the Victoria Secret semi-annual sale starts in a couple of weeks, so I may wait for that). I'm a D-ish cup and I agree with the poster that said anything larger than a B or C is just utilitarian and ugly. Do they not think big-chested woman want sexy, frilly bras too?

Oh, my friend, let me send you here: www.bravissimo.com
FABULOUS stuff, and the smallest size they make is 30D. They go up to something like 48JJ. Check out the sale page, especially--fabulous stuff for up to 50% off!

Deb Kinnard
05-30-2009, 10:08 PM
And, while we're talking boobs...my favorite low end retailer just discontinued the bra I've bought there for like eons. All they have left now is "industrial strength" bras. The ones my 14 and 21 year old daughters like ... all cantilevered, molded, and guaranteed to add two inches I don't need.

Anybody know where to get non-underwired, non-formed, non-cantilevered plain good ole USA type bras?

And as far as who designs the clothes? One of my best friends said it best: they're all designed in NYC by people who hate women, to make us look ugly.

Fern
05-30-2009, 10:14 PM
Oh, Oh, Oh! Shoes and clothing shopping - the bane of my existence!

No shoes off the counter for me. I have to use mail order because no stores in my area carry WW or EE width. Used to be I could pretty much count on an EE/WW width to be wide enough. Not so anymore - I don't know who started messing with sizing, but I'm pretty sure they don't have a wide foot. I used to order lots of Keds XW tennis shoes to wear with capris. The sole fit perfectly - then one day I ordered and I got a shoe that had the same sole that went on their more "regular" sized shoes. Technically I guess you could say they fit on my foot, but the "extra" width was from fuller canvas portion on top and the bottom of my foot actually hung over both sides of the sole. You should try that for comfort. They lost me as a customer.

I'm also about an inch longer from neckline to waist that what most patterns are cut on. That makes shirts/blouses shorter than they should be on me. Couple that with the hideous short style shirts of the past few years and I've got a problem.

Sellers are missing a whole market out here.

backslashbaby
05-30-2009, 10:24 PM
And as far as who designs the clothes? One of my best friends said it best: they're all designed in NYC by people who hate women, to make us look ugly.

:D I actually worked for a long while as a colleague to dudes who designed bras you (and every other US woman) have probably worn. I'll leave it at arrogant ;) Ooooh I wish I could tell more, but I'd better leave it at arrogant! A lot of work goes into bra design, tho, truly.

spamwarrior
05-30-2009, 10:54 PM
I've heard something, somewhere, about clothes looking better on stick models. Simply because the models are so skinny, the clothes hang off them with no wrinkles. Those models, in short, act like a hanger. While us shapelier people have to deal with some wrinkles in clothing, as well as other things.

Too bad we're not shaped like hangers, right? Huh. Yeah, right.

White-Tean
05-31-2009, 05:09 PM
Haven't had terrible woes - I have a fairly regular healthy BMI figure, so apart from the fact that I occasionally mope when the sizes that fit me (fairly common sizes - I wear 10 if it's cut on the hips, sometimes ranging to a twelve depending on the brand) are all sold out. If it's a skirt and cuts more high-waisted I can wear an 8 which is same for dresses. I wear medium size for shirts, but sometimes up to a size sixteen for a jacket/jumper because I have long limbs, and the length of full sleeves can be a bit hit or miss in shirts that fit my chest.

Only other issue is on a couple of occasions shirts that otherwise fit me, the sleeves can be a bit tight, which I suspect may be because while I have boobs, bone structure wise my chest is narrow, and I guess they expect girls to have stick arms - I don't have excess flesh, but I do have moderately toned arms.

I also don't like the whole hooplah of trying on clothes, so I'm more likely to just buy clothes from brands I've bought the same cut from before - like Threadless Tees (their medium is a perfect fit on me, and the length of the shirt is good for low cut bottoms) or Keds shoes (I know I'm a size ten, so I never have to try them on again!) and whatnot.

Pants tends to be the only thing I always need to try on. I find there's more size variation between different stores for pant sizes - I might be a ten in one store, a twelve in another - which makes me sadface sometime as I hate to think I've gained weight by stepping in a store, but as they say, go with what fits and makes your ass look fine, and ignore what the size says.

Hat shopping is more of a problem. I have like, a giant head. Luckily I don't buy many hats because they mess with my hair do I guess.

*ETA: I don't think I mentioned, I'm using Australian sizes here, I have no idea what sizes 8-12 correlate to in the US system.

Fran
05-31-2009, 11:13 PM
A friend of mine has a theory that most clothes are designed by gay men who hate women and have no idea what their bodies are really like ;)

My problem is my HUGE belly. My hips and waist are a UK 14, my belly's an 18, and when I'm pre-menstrual I look eight months pregnant! So I have to buy size 18 jeans and spend all day pulling them up or feel like I'm having an appendectomy every time I sit down. I also have long arms. But I did recently get properly measured for a bra and WHAT a difference. I have wide feet, too, and most of the shoes I see seem to be designed for pixies. I also can't walk in stilettos, which is handy because I'd never find any wide enough, and I refuse to cripple myself on a daily basis to look 'good'. I should really learn to make my own clothes, or get a SlenderTone and stop eating ;)

IceCreamEmpress
06-01-2009, 09:38 PM
*ETA: I don't think I mentioned, I'm using Australian sizes here, I have no idea what sizes 8-12 correlate to in the US system.

4-8 US, more or less.

The hat thing surprises me a bit: I would have thought that in Australia there would be a better selection, in terms of more varied sizing, than we get here in the US, just because of the emphasis on wearing hats (government warnings, schools making kids wear hats, etc.) As a fellow giant-head, I feel your pain.

melaniehoo
06-01-2009, 09:50 PM
I have a fun one -- I was shopping at a trendy shop near my apartment in Chicago (should have been my first clue) and I really liked the clothes but nothing was fitting correctly. I asked the saleslady to help me figure out how to do the wrap portion of the shirt and once it was on it just hung there, waiting for breasts to magically appear. She looked at me in the mirror and said "Do you have a good padded bra?". Nice.

I didn't buy the shirt.

stormie
06-02-2009, 05:46 PM
...once it was on it just hung there, waiting for breasts to magically appear. She looked at me in the mirror and said "Do you have a good padded bra?". Nice.

I didn't buy the shirt.
LOL! Yep, I had gotten that line years ago from a saleslady. So I have been a padded bra wearer ever since. I thank God they don't make them quilted like mattress pads anymore.

melaniehoo
06-02-2009, 06:08 PM
LOL! Yep, I had gotten that line years ago from a saleslady. So I have been a padded bra wearer ever since. I thank God they don't make them quilted like mattress pads anymore.

I've just decided some things are not made for my body.

*sigh*

dahmnait
06-02-2009, 09:15 PM
After reading this thread, I can't decide to laugh, cry, commiserate, or start a petition to ban clothes everywhere. Perhaps the last is a bit much. How about just rounding up all the clothing designers, placing them in under harsh florescent lighting, in front of unforgiving full length mirrors, and forcing them to try on their own designs over and over again. We can even throw in a few of the snottier dressing room attendants to “help” them.

I don’t know that I have any particular anecdotes. I don’t like shopping and I try to be in and out when I do go; usually walking out empty handed.

Sizing isn't consistent in the UK. Or anywhere. I have two great pairs of pants that are the same size as all my other pants, yet I would have to use a crowbar to even dream of getting them on. I think the manufacturers are sadistic and put the wrong labels on for kicks.

LOL! Yep, I had gotten that line years ago from a saleslady. So I have been a padded bra wearer ever since. I thank God they don't make them quilted like mattress pads anymore.heh...I wear a DD and I still find it hard to find a nice bra that isn't padded a little. I really don't need any help thank you. :)

One question that has always bugged me; why are designers fond of big prints (love the florals:Wha:) on bigger sizes? It doesn't slim anyone down, just makes a person look bigger.