Any Dark Tower fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Yarbrough

Will write for peace of mind
Registered
Reaction score
I just looked through all the pages and didn't see any about the Dark Tower by Stephen King. Just curious as if there are any Tower fans here and what did you think about the ending?

skyi001

Registered
Reaction score
I was extremely disappointed in the ending! I'm a big SK fan and have enjoyed most of his books...never had a problem with any of the endings before, and was looking forward to this one. But--I thought it was lame. I was mad when I finished it.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've read the first four and loved them. I'd better finish before I come back here, I hate spoilers!

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Not so much

I was hooked until Book 5. By the end of that one, I thought SK was getting a bit too clever for the story's good. Book 6 reinforced that, although I liked it more than Book 5. And Book 7, in my humble opinion, was pushed through -- it should have been two smaller books, and it should have been edited more than it was to strengthen the story (sometimes, too much style can strangle a narrative). I greatly enjoyed the epilogue, but the ending that led there didn't work for me, for reasons that I can't get into without doing a huge spoiler. And I truly detested SK writing himself into the story. He should take a lesson from Firehorse to see the dangers of doing that...

Kevin Yarbrough

Will write for peace of mind
Registered
Reaction score
I think SK writing himself into the story worked, in a way. The last three were pushed through and it did make the stories suffer. They were still good but could have been sooooo much better. The only one I didn't really care for was Wolves. The book didn't move the story along hardly, it was a whole lota book of fluff. The ending fit if you really think about what Roland has done in his life.

Beb

Registered
Reaction score
The Dark Tower series is part of what made me decide to get off my butt and start writing my story.

I felt that everything went downhill starting with 'Wolves.' The last two books were pointless. I now that sounds harsh, but I was dissapointed with where the story went. What happened to adventure, or character development?

It just turned into Deus Ex Machina after Deus Ex Machina. Ok...fine, I can except that. But at least there has been some decent forshadowing all series, and the end should be a true test of Roland's character, right?

Right?

Oh...apparently not.

I could discuss this at length but I'm not sure how spoilerish it's supposed to get in here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.