PDA

View Full Version : Help! What to get grandma for her birthday?

JoNightshade
05-27-2009, 06:01 AM
Next weekend is my grandma's eighty-somethingth birthday (seventh?) and I have NO IDEA what to get her!!! What do you get people when they are old and wealthy enough to have everything??? I know she will be happy just to have me there with her, but I want to get her at least a little something. She's your typical grandma... likes pinks and purples and pretty stuff. I would get her jewelry but I can't afford anything near what she already has. Also, she really doesn't get out much anymore.

Ideas?!

spamwarrior
05-27-2009, 06:09 AM
Cards? Cute little brooches? Some flowers in a pretty vase?

JoNightshade
05-27-2009, 06:28 AM
FLOWERS! That's a good one.

Calla Lily
05-27-2009, 06:40 AM
Food. Special jams or jellies. Or teas/coffees.

cray
05-27-2009, 07:05 AM
iphone.

JoNightshade
05-27-2009, 07:56 AM
Oh, cray, that's perfect. Now if I could just find those couple of spare hundreds I had laying around... ;)

emc07
05-27-2009, 08:11 AM
I always get my grandma chocolate. She loves it. I've made the mistake of getting her a DVD player, of which she uses as a statue to look at. I even got her a DVD to go with it, Meet me in St. Louis or something.

I recently got her a mother's day gift that was a frame that said three generations on it and I put a pic of her, my mom and me when I was a baby. She loved it. Maybe something like that??

Good Luck in your search.

Sweetleaf
05-27-2009, 08:12 AM
Callalily's idea is good.

Do you know if she likes baths? Nice bath salts or that type of pamper thing might be good.

What about a little Swarovski figure if she has a favourite animal, or a perfume bottle?

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-27-2009, 03:56 PM
Nothing that has to be fed or dusted. And probably not any talcum, perfume, bath salts, either. When we cleaned out my mother's apartment and her room at the nursing home, it was full of talcum, perfume, and bath salts that had never been opened.

Pictures and flowers are good.

Wayne K
05-27-2009, 04:31 PM
http://media.pitch.com/chippendales.2496419.51.jpg

How's her heart?

Bmwhtly
05-27-2009, 05:02 PM
Wine.

Or something more personal. Like transerring the families old home movies onto DVD.

scarletpeaches
05-27-2009, 05:05 PM
My usual answer to "What should I do for [relative or friend's name]'s [birthday/anniversary/whatever]?" is entirely inappropriate here, so mods: I'm staying out.

Maryn
05-27-2009, 05:26 PM
My late m-i-l cherished a photo album we put together of her sons, neither of whom likes to be photographed. I just dug through the prints and got copies, or got rid of less-than-flattering shots, and added a few pictures from their childhoods. She pored over that album many times.

When she died, we found a great many gifts, including many we'd given her, unopened and unused. Powders, perfumes, bath products galore.

Maryn, also echoing many of the other suggestions and observations

Pat~
05-27-2009, 05:32 PM
My folks are grandparents, and their favorite gift, hands down, is always pictures (especially of the grandkids!). One favorite photo cherished by them (though not a gift) was the time one Christmas when we had all the grandkids (about a dozen) climb the live oak tree behind their home. It's their 'family tree' shot. :)

regdog
05-27-2009, 05:52 PM
I used to just call my Nana on her birthday. By the time most of the grandkids had grown-up they had either forgotten or couldn't be bothered to take the time to call her. She knew I didn't have a lot of money and appreciated my time more than stuff.

She had all the trinkets and do-dads she could stand.

Clair Dickson
05-27-2009, 06:19 PM
Get her an electronic photo frame (either a desksize one or they now make small portable ones.) Load it full of pictures of her/ your family so it's ready for her to use and show off.

(If you haven't told her about your bun in the oven, you could include an ultrasound pic, scanned or something, in it. What a way to announce it... my SIL did this for the first grandkid in the family. Well, normal not digital frame.)

If she doesn't get into gadgets, don't sweat it. If it's loaded with pictures, all you have to do is show her how to turn it on/off and move through the pix so she can show off.

(Mini-rant, if a person doesn't want anything... please don't get them something. It drives me nuts when I get things that I don't want. To me, it then because about the giver's feelings, not the recipient, because it's their desire to give that has trumped my desire to not have get some useless or inappropriate gift... food I can't eat, knickknacks to stuff somewhere, etc.)

aadams73
05-27-2009, 06:23 PM
How about making up some coupons? She can "redeem" them for things such as housework, a hand massage, a hug, a girls' morning where you just spend time talking, help organizing photos, that kind of thing.

Wayne K
05-27-2009, 06:35 PM
Do the neighborhood kids give her a hard time?

http://cannoneerno4.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/ak47.jpg

Button
05-27-2009, 07:07 PM
http://media.pitch.com/chippendales.2496419.51.jpg

How's her heart?

That's right, buy her Wayne K.

You'd give her a nice discount, right Wayne?

Button
05-27-2009, 07:12 PM
For people I never know what to get them, I take them out to dinner, maybe a movie if I think there's something they want to see. Or if there's a nice show going on, play, opera, whatever fits their tastes.

I'm prone to sharing events rather than giving gifts if I can help it. This is especially useful for people you can't figure out what to get them as they have everything.

Pagey's_Girl
05-27-2009, 07:22 PM
I'd go with flowers or a pretty plant. I got my mom a gorgeous hanging fuchsia for Mother's Day and she loves it. (She doesn't mind caring for a plant, though.)

Susie
05-27-2009, 07:36 PM
A gift cert. to Victoria's Secret? :)

CACTUSWENDY
05-27-2009, 07:39 PM
I am a grandma....and not as old as yours and I do not have everything. I love to get pictures. I am not much into anything else as for cookies...candy....flowers...and the like.

A picture means I can look at it and 'remember', remember the times the funny happenings, all the joy and heartaches of those I love. It allows me to 'glow' about things that were only dreams at one time.

<<<<wonders off........thinking...remembering.....

JoNightshade
05-27-2009, 08:58 PM
Okay, I really like the digital photo frame idea. Thanks guys! Now that I think about it I'm not totally sure she doesn't have one already, but I'll ask my mom. Even so, she doesn't have one with pictures of ME. ;)

BardSkye
05-27-2009, 11:00 PM
Maybe make her a hand-made birthday card along with whatever you get, too. Anybody can go to the store and buy one, but taking the time to make one just for her will show her you really care and mean a lot more.

Ken
05-27-2009, 11:13 PM
... whatever you end up getting her I'm sure she will be pleased, just to know you care :-)

quickWit
05-27-2009, 11:19 PM
Hello? Eighty-something years old? Push-up bra. Definitely.

:)

Happy Day to Grandma.

JoNightshade
05-28-2009, 12:27 AM
Hello? Eighty-something years old? Push-up bra. Definitely.

:)

Happy Day to Grandma.

LOL! Women on that side of the family are notoriously flat-chested. ;)

Thanks again everyone. I went to the store and ended up getting a mini digital photo frame, so it's small and light enough for her to carry in her purse. I thought that would be great for when she goes to get her hair done and stuff, she can show the ladies her family pictures.

We're actually doing a "girl's weekend" for her birthday... her husband is sort of on the tail end of a fairly successful cancer fight, but she's been totally stressed out all this time, so me, my mom, and my aunt are taking her to my aunt's vacation house for three or four days. We'll go shopping and get pedicures and other girl stuff. :) Anyway she is really looking forward to it so we should have a great time! I love my grandma! :)

It's kind of cool because she is in really good shape (for late 80s), but in the past couple of years her mind has started to go a bit. But it's made her more willing to say what's on her mind and to talk about the past. So for the first time I'm learning that inside that polite, reserved exterior, my grandma is a very witty, mischievous lady! And oooh, was she a naughty girl when she was young! ;)