• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Our Amazing Universe

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Think on this: Every one of those little white dots is not just a star, but likely an entire evolving planetary system. The Carina nebula is one of the biggest star-birth regions in our galaxy, and also home to the star Eta Carinae, regarded as one of the two or three most powerful stars in the galaxy and the likeliest candidate for the next supernova. It, along with the localized cloud of dust that contains it, may be present in this image, or it may lie just outside it (I'll have to check). If you google "Eta Carinae" you'll undoubtedly get a spectacular Hubble image.

And, because God hates the northern hemisphere, all this is mainly visible from the soft underbelly of the planet in places like Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Argentina, dammit.

caw

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Funny...but it looks like someone has superimposed two heads in it. You sure this has not been played with? On the left side is a white head...and towards the right side is a human form........

Am I the only one to see this?

small axe

memento mori
Registered
Reaction score
'He not busy being born is busy dying.' :)

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
And, because God hates the northern hemisphere, all this is mainly visible from the soft underbelly of the planet in places like Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Argentina, dammit.

caw

You really want to be in the line of sight of Eta Carinae's hair-trigger gamma ray gun of doom? Let's swap houses.

small axe

memento mori
Registered
Reaction score
You really want to be in the line of sight of Eta Carinae's hair-trigger gamma ray gun of doom? Let's swap houses.

There've been a couplah good shows about world-ending events on Discovery Channel or History or whichever, lately.

Being line of sight during a Gamma Ray Burst would probably be the more merciful thing. Otherwise, you linger while the sky goes from glorious blinding wh -- (oops, see? You're already dead) to an eerie green glow to ugly browns and then you're dead from slow radiation or from the whole eco-system dying out.

Animal Apocalypse was one of the shows, but another was 10 (or maybe 12) Ways The World Could End.

Sadly, of those 12 ways the world could end ... not one is me being love-monkeyed to death by Megan Fox! :cry:

Don't tell me the Universe is beautiful, I've seen Megan Fox.
Tell me the Universe is cruel ... I've seen Megan Fox.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score

small axe

memento mori
Registered
Reaction score
Dang, never seen such a collection of demonic faces in all my life. The more I stare at it, the more I see. At least of dozen of em.
Tri

And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
-- T.S. Eliot -- The Wasteland

And it is cold dust, cold dust at the end
That robs the last heat from we who were the hot dust
The birthplace of stars
is the graveyard of stars
and in between there is us
we bastards born you and I in this brothel of dreams

Willowmound

Lightly salted
Registered
Reaction score
Funny...but it looks like someone has superimposed two heads in it. You sure this has not been played with? On the left side is a white head...and towards the right side is a human form........

Am I the only one to see this?

And that's the human brain for you. Looking for shapes that make sense everywhere. And nothing makes more sense to the human brain than a human face.

small axe

memento mori
Registered
Reaction score
Who is Megan Fox? Is she in the picture?

She is a star, yes.
And she illuminates the Universe, yes.

Is she in Eta Carinae?
She would be no farther from me than she is now, or out of reach ... if she were in Eta Carinae, alas.

megan-fox-nude-pic_472x472.0.0.0x0.432x432.jpeg

TRANSFORMERS girl.
Waiting for the spec screenplay that will shake the world on its axis. Typing as fast as I can. :Sun:

small axe

memento mori
Registered
Reaction score
i so set that as my desktop background! :)

Why doesn't anyone care about their computer's foreground?

And why all the concern about your desktop's "background" ? What's past is past, I say, let's forgive and forget. We all have things in our backgrounds we're not proud of ... your desktop's no different. It's a big Universe, let's fill it full of Forgiveness instead of Accusations of the past.

Except for that star in the upper left: that bastard owes me money.