My "I" Broke!

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
Okay, so, it's really more of an auditory joke... but still, it's horrible. The I key broke on my laptop today! Just popped off! And yes, it's really broken-- one of the plastic tabs that holds the hinge in place is broken right off.

I guess this is a side affect of typing many, many words in first person narrative... and too much time presenting the opinion I have on AW. I guess. ;-)

Just venting. I already found a place on line that sells replacement keys for my laptop... and, better yet, I can buy JUST the hinges. The key is fine.

One of the things I hate about laptops is the way any broken piece is infintely more trouble and more expensive than the comparable on a desktop. But, gotta love the portability of the laptop.

Anyone else want to commiserate on laptops or computer pieces breaking that have managed to ruin your morning, afternoon, day, etc? =)

Reaction score
You're kidding, right?

The same thing happened to me a few days ago!

tt42 keeps laughing on MSN because every so often I type, "iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii Oh sorry, was sticking my I-key back on."

Just as well my current W P s wr tten n th rd person and not f rst, eh?

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
I've gone through two keyboards on my laptop. (I type a little hard.)

Finally went to a separate, USB keyboard. They're cheaper than replacing the keys.

Of course hauling them to things like crit groups and coffee shops was a pain, so I went and got a roll up one. Got mine locally for 15 bucks.

And, one other nice thing, it's washable. (I get a little clumsy with coffee sometimes.)

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
I wish I was kidding... it sucks. Worst case, there's still the little rubber nub/ sensor from underneath the key, so I can continue typing, more or less. (Let it be known that I'm currently at home typing on The Indestructible Keyboard, with all it's letters.) But tomorrow, back at school... I'll be muddling through and cursing. Or curs ng. =)

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Let's challenge someone to compose a novel-length ms sans the use of that letter.

That was 15 words. Good start!

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
The E broke on my daughters laptop. I think she wanted me to offer to have it fixed. I suggested she learn to use the 3 instead (since it's just above the E) and use the Find and Replace function afterward.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I haven't broken a key (knock wood 'cause I know I just jinxed myself) but I wear the letters off the keys. My husband couldn't use my last laptop because half the keys were worn away and he didn't know what letters they were (he's a hunt-and-peck typist). I also wear a divot in the spaced bar from my thumb hitting it (it's always the left thumb), and the keys also end up with divots from my fingernails (which I try to keep short, but sometimes I'm not as vigilant as I should be.)

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Wow, you guys are hard on your keyboards. I have wrist/hand issues so for both my laptop and the USB plugin keyboard I use the #1 priority was how easy it was to depress the keys. I've learned to type very lightly so I've never had a break, and so far the letters are still visible. Now when I use someone else's keyboard I feel like I have to BANG BANG BANG on the keys to get them to register anything.

Although me and beverages... completely different story.

Reaction score
Not hard on our keyboards, just writing a lot!

The letters wore off my last laptop so no-one else could use it unless they touch-typed. My dad thought I was battering at the keys as they had nail marks but it was repeated use really. Oh, and the space bar was worn shiny.

Before it went tits-up I think it was four years old so I probably typed around a million words on it.

LorelieBrown

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Two laptops and four (five?) years ago, I flipped the keys on my laptop up to clean underneath them. About 45 minutes later, I plopped my toddler in front of cartoons and took a super-quick shower. I was out of the room *maybe* 10 minutes.

(Bet you can see where this is going, right?)

When I came back in, the right hand 1/3rd of the keyboard was OFF. Looked like a scrabble set had puked across my desk. Luckily most of them went back on - except the delete key and one other I can't remember.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
I broke my previous keyboard through curiosity.

I thought to myself "wonder if the keys come off like normal keyboards?"

Turns out no, and taking the whole thing apart to make it work again just makes it worse. £60 keyboard down the pan. Well, kept for spares.

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
Wow, so... I'm not the only one who types like I've got to kill the keyboard by stabbing fingers? My sister used to get on me because, "You type so loud! Stop pounding the keys so hard!"

vrabinec

Dipwad
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vrabinec-fred.blogspot.com
It's better than having your water break.

The "q" at home sticks because of some liquid libation I spilled down there (think it was beer), and the keys at work squeak from overuse.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
just choose words that do not have that dull letter. that'll take you to where you need to go. actually, the person who now types to you challenges you to complete a full novel free of that letter.

Reaction score
Wow, so... I'm not the only one who types like I've got to kill the keyboard by stabbing fingers? My sister used to get on me because, "You type so loud! Stop pounding the keys so hard!"

No, no, no...repeated use wearing the keyboard down, not stabbing at the keys!

My bitchwhore mother used to type like that. It was one of the many things that made me want to wring her neck.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Do any laptops still have a PS/2 keyboard connector? It's just a little round thing, right next to an external mouse connector that looks just like it, but I know how laptops are cramped for connector space thesedays.

Model M is the answer. The keycaps are (allegedly) injection-molded with the markings so they never "wear off." Even if they did, the keycaps are replacable. I've seen hugely dirty Model M keys, but none where the key marking showed any sign of wearing off

And no doubt there are PS/2 keyboard to USB adapters so it can plug into any laptop.

Read this testimonial from Plot Device:
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129627
Seven years using the same Model M keyboard!

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, that would be handy, Ben. I lose the marking on the "I" first (I, too, write mostly first-person narrative), but now that I've also lost the "O" and the "U" my typos are getting more frequent. Yeah, I know I'm not supposed to look at the keys, but I can't seem to help it.

Maryn, flawed

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
No, no, no...repeated use wearing the keyboard down, not stabbing at the keys!

My bitchwhore mother used to type like that. It was one of the many things that made me want to wring her neck.

Bah. You'd hate me. I'm seriously a loud typist, especially when I've hit on a good idea and I'm trying to run with it. Or trying to annoy the snot out of my sister... either way.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
The only keys I'm hard on are delete, backspace, and enter - because if the machine doesn't respond right away, you need to hit the key harder so it gets the message (my laptop SUCKS and always freezes - I hate it and can't WAIT to replace it. Stupid Toshiba).

My letters get worn from a lot of typing - not how hard I hit them. I must hit them in the same spot. All. The. Time.

If you stand in my office doorway, you can see the shiny spot on the space bar where my thumb must always land. You can see the shiny spots where my wrists rest as well. And on the touch pad, the side of my hand rest against part of that, so it is also shiny...