PDA

View Full Version : My "I" Broke!

Clair Dickson
05-26-2009, 10:27 PM
Okay, so, it's really more of an auditory joke... but still, it's horrible. The I key broke on my laptop today! Just popped off! And yes, it's really broken-- one of the plastic tabs that holds the hinge in place is broken right off.

I guess this is a side affect of typing many, many words in first person narrative... and too much time presenting the opinion I have on AW. I guess. ;-)

Just venting. I already found a place on line that sells replacement keys for my laptop... and, better yet, I can buy JUST the hinges. The key is fine.

One of the things I hate about laptops is the way any broken piece is infintely more trouble and more expensive than the comparable on a desktop. But, gotta love the portability of the laptop.

Anyone else want to commiserate on laptops or computer pieces breaking that have managed to ruin your morning, afternoon, day, etc? =)

scarletpeaches
05-26-2009, 10:28 PM
You're kidding, right?

The same thing happened to me a few days ago!

tt42 keeps laughing on MSN because every so often I type, "iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii Oh sorry, was sticking my I-key back on."

Just as well my current W P s wr tten n th rd person and not f rst, eh?

Williebee
05-26-2009, 10:34 PM
I've gone through two keyboards on my laptop. (I type a little hard.)

Finally went to a separate, USB keyboard. They're cheaper than replacing the keys.

Of course hauling them to things like crit groups and coffee shops was a pain, so I went and got a roll up one. (http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/keyboards-mice/5a7f/) Got mine locally for 15 bucks.

And, one other nice thing, it's washable. (I get a little clumsy with coffee sometimes.)

Clair Dickson
05-26-2009, 10:36 PM
I wish I was kidding... it sucks. Worst case, there's still the little rubber nub/ sensor from underneath the key, so I can continue typing, more or less. (Let it be known that I'm currently at home typing on The Indestructible Keyboard, with all it's letters.) But tomorrow, back at school... I'll be muddling through and cursing. Or curs ng. =)

CaroGirl
05-26-2009, 10:44 PM
Let's challenge someone to compose a novel-length ms sans the use of that letter.

That was 15 words. Good start!

Roger J Carlson
05-26-2009, 10:44 PM
The E broke on my daughters laptop. I think she wanted me to offer to have it fixed. I suggested she learn to use the 3 instead (since it's just above the E) and use the Find and Replace function afterward.

Jersey Chick
05-26-2009, 10:57 PM
I haven't broken a key (knock wood 'cause I know I just jinxed myself) but I wear the letters off the keys. My husband couldn't use my last laptop because half the keys were worn away and he didn't know what letters they were (he's a hunt-and-peck typist). I also wear a divot in the spaced bar from my thumb hitting it (it's always the left thumb), and the keys also end up with divots from my fingernails (which I try to keep short, but sometimes I'm not as vigilant as I should be.)

JoNightshade
05-26-2009, 11:11 PM
Wow, you guys are hard on your keyboards. I have wrist/hand issues so for both my laptop and the USB plugin keyboard I use the #1 priority was how easy it was to depress the keys. I've learned to type very lightly so I've never had a break, and so far the letters are still visible. Now when I use someone else's keyboard I feel like I have to BANG BANG BANG on the keys to get them to register anything.

Although me and beverages... completely different story.

scarletpeaches
05-26-2009, 11:14 PM
Not hard on our keyboards, just writing a lot!

The letters wore off my last laptop so no-one else could use it unless they touch-typed. My dad thought I was battering at the keys as they had nail marks but it was repeated use really. Oh, and the space bar was worn shiny.

Before it went tits-up I think it was four years old so I probably typed around a million words on it.

LorelieBrown
05-26-2009, 11:35 PM
Two laptops and four (five?) years ago, I flipped the keys on my laptop up to clean underneath them. About 45 minutes later, I plopped my toddler in front of cartoons and took a super-quick shower. I was out of the room *maybe* 10 minutes.

(Bet you can see where this is going, right?)

When I came back in, the right hand 1/3rd of the keyboard was OFF. Looked like a scrabble set had puked across my desk. Luckily most of them went back on - except the delete key and one other I can't remember.

spamwarrior
05-26-2009, 11:45 PM
I type a little hard. My keyboard is new, though, so I haven't had to replace anything... yet.

Before, the actual space bar wouldn't type. So I'dtypelikethis. Prettyannoying.

melaniehoo
05-26-2009, 11:48 PM
My E key was sticky for a long time (I blame the humidity here) so I eventually bought a new keyboard (http://www.apple.com/keyboard/). I lurve it so.

Adam
05-27-2009, 12:29 AM
I broke my previous keyboard through curiosity.

I thought to myself "wonder if the keys come off like normal keyboards?"

Turns out no, and taking the whole thing apart to make it work again just makes it worse. 60 keyboard down the pan. Well, kept for spares.

Button
05-27-2009, 12:38 AM
Wow, so... I'm not the only one who types like I've got to kill the keyboard by stabbing fingers? My sister used to get on me because, "You type so loud! Stop pounding the keys so hard!"

vrabinec
05-27-2009, 12:42 AM
It's better than having your water break.

The "q" at home sticks because of some liquid libation I spilled down there (think it was beer), and the keys at work squeak from overuse.

KTC
05-27-2009, 12:44 AM
just choose words that do not have that dull letter. that'll take you to where you need to go. actually, the person who now types to you challenges you to complete a full novel free of that letter.

scarletpeaches
05-27-2009, 12:44 AM
Wow, so... I'm not the only one who types like I've got to kill the keyboard by stabbing fingers? My sister used to get on me because, "You type so loud! Stop pounding the keys so hard!"

No, no, no...repeated use wearing the keyboard down, not stabbing at the keys!

My bitchwhore mother used to type like that. It was one of the many things that made me want to wring her neck.

benbradley
05-27-2009, 12:47 AM
Do any laptops still have a PS/2 keyboard connector? It's just a little round thing, right next to an external mouse connector that looks just like it, but I know how laptops are cramped for connector space thesedays.

Model M is the answer. The keycaps are (allegedly) injection-molded with the markings so they never "wear off." Even if they did, the keycaps are replacable. I've seen hugely dirty Model M keys, but none where the key marking showed any sign of wearing off

And no doubt there are PS/2 keyboard to USB adapters so it can plug into any laptop.

Read this testimonial from Plot Device:
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129627
Seven years using the same Model M keyboard!

Maryn
05-27-2009, 12:53 AM
Wow, that would be handy, Ben. I lose the marking on the "I" first (I, too, write mostly first-person narrative), but now that I've also lost the "O" and the "U" my typos are getting more frequent. Yeah, I know I'm not supposed to look at the keys, but I can't seem to help it.

Maryn, flawed

vrabinec
05-27-2009, 12:53 AM
just choose words that do not have that dull letter. that'll take you to where you need to go. actually, the person who now types to you challenges you to complete a full novel free of that letter.

That's doable. Just don't ask me not to use the "F", "U", "C", and "K".

BlueLucario
05-27-2009, 12:57 AM
My I and F keys are missing on my NEO. I can't live without these keys.

KTC
05-27-2009, 12:59 AM

You must therefore be dead.

quickWit
05-27-2009, 01:05 AM

You must therefore be dead.

P t! As !

Button
05-27-2009, 01:19 AM
No, no, no...repeated use wearing the keyboard down, not stabbing at the keys!

My bitchwhore mother used to type like that. It was one of the many things that made me want to wring her neck.

Bah. You'd hate me. I'm seriously a loud typist, especially when I've hit on a good idea and I'm trying to run with it. Or trying to annoy the snot out of my sister... either way.

Jersey Chick
05-27-2009, 01:27 AM
The only keys I'm hard on are delete, backspace, and enter - because if the machine doesn't respond right away, you need to hit the key harder so it gets the message (my laptop SUCKS and always freezes - I hate it and can't WAIT to replace it. Stupid Toshiba).

My letters get worn from a lot of typing - not how hard I hit them. I must hit them in the same spot. All. The. Time.

If you stand in my office doorway, you can see the shiny spot on the space bar where my thumb must always land. You can see the shiny spots where my wrists rest as well. And on the touch pad, the side of my hand rest against part of that, so it is also shiny...

Clair Dickson
05-27-2009, 02:22 AM
I'm actually not a hard typer, just a frequent typer. I'm not even sure what happened with the I key today. I was typing along, then teh key was crooked, then I fiddled with it, which revealed that the key was no longer attached. Then I tried to reattach it, but figured out it was brokey.

I've never even wore keys off keyboards before. Now, I've only had this laptop since August... so it's hardly got any miles on it. I'm nice to it (I'm actually nice to all electronics since they have the power to funk up my life with a few sparks or tendrils of smoke).

I'm gonna place my order for a couple hinges tonight after class.

Jersey Chick
05-27-2009, 02:35 AM
My Vaio was well-used... and I miss it. This new(er) laptop (2 years, I think) is the laptop from hell. I hate it and the feeling is mutual...

Pagey's_Girl
05-27-2009, 02:58 AM
I was using the zero as an "O" key on and off for awhile because the "O" kept sticking. I'm pretty sure that wasn't what Cy Curnin meant when he wrote "Saved By Zero," but hey, whatever works.

Clair Dickson
05-27-2009, 03:02 AM
I hate it and the feeling is mutual... I think computers can tell... ;-)

thethinker42
05-27-2009, 03:04 AM
I haven't broken a key (knock wood 'cause I know I just jinxed myself) but I wear the letters off the keys. My husband couldn't use my last laptop because half the keys were worn away and he didn't know what letters they were (he's a hunt-and-peck typist). I also wear a divot in the spaced bar from my thumb hitting it (it's always the left thumb), and the keys also end up with divots from my fingernails (which I try to keep short, but sometimes I'm not as vigilant as I should be.)

Not hard on our keyboards, just writing a lot!

The letters wore off my last laptop so no-one else could use it unless they touch-typed. My dad thought I was battering at the keys as they had nail marks but it was repeated use really. Oh, and the space bar was worn shiny.

Before it went tits-up I think it was four years old so I probably typed around a million words on it.

I haven't lost any keys either, but like both of you, I've definitely worn some of the "paint" off. lol Plus my spacebar has a shiny groove where my right thumb hits it. My laptop is just over 2 years old, and I can no longer read the e, a, c, n, o, or h keys.

Jersey Chick
05-27-2009, 03:13 AM
I'm better with my current laptop - but the Vaio was missing the e, r, t, half the y, u, i, o, the a, s, d, part of the f, most of the g, most of the h, the l, part of the c, part of the b, most of the n, and most of the m.

I took a few pictures of it - I'll try to post them.

ETA - it ain't gonna happen - the pictures just don't show it - but it's pretty funny. 18 out 26 letters - that's gotta be a record...

Button
05-27-2009, 03:20 AM
My old keyboard has the most popular letters rubbed off. Good thing I don't really need them... drove some people nuts though who tried to borrow my computer. "Where's the E key?"

Kryianna
05-27-2009, 04:39 AM
[deleted]

BenPanced
05-27-2009, 06:51 AM
Well, I guess you're safe in spelling "teamwork"...

Jersey Chick
05-27-2009, 07:07 AM
bah dum bah

**cymbal crashes**

Yes, he will be here all week. Try the flounder and don't forget to tip your waitress.

:D

Matera the Mad
05-27-2009, 10:00 AM
Heh. I use a filthy old keyboard with foam taped under one corner to stabilize it. I love it because it has wide backspace and shift keys and a mellow feel. It used to be my sister's (came with a computer that she gave up on and I didn't), and it seems indestructable. Hope I never get stuck with nothing but a lappy.

icerose
05-27-2009, 04:35 PM
For the most part the markings on the keys wear off long before any of the keys wear out. That's fine with me, my fingers know their way around the keyboard. My current trouble keyboard, it randomly doesn't like to be recognized, so I have to unplug the USB at the back and plug it back in, wait 3 minutes. If that doesn't work I have to save whatever I'm working on and restart. It's really annoying.

All that said, I go through keyboards about 3x faster than my husband does.

Clair Dickson
05-27-2009, 05:55 PM
Yeah, but ben... you can't spell teamwork with out 'me.'

This is surprising the trouble you other writers have with keyboards. I've never had any issues until now. Well, except that the space bar on the laptop is crappy. On my desktop computer, the space bar will register hits even on the edge of the spacebar. But the laptop has to be hit closer to center, which means that therearesectionsthatlooklikethis.

Still never worn my letters off! And I have a 13 year old Keytronics "Lifetime" Keyboard that works wonderfully. Though, it's old enough that it has the Five-Pin plug on it and I have to use an adapter just to use it in the standard round PS/2 keyboard plug on my computer.

fringle
05-27-2009, 06:11 PM
Ugh, and it's a bitch to get missing keys back on. Trust me. Once upon a time my daughter learned to flick the keys off of my laptop. I, the ever-watchful mother that I am, didn't discover her new talent until I was down to a 13 letter alphabet and my punctuation options were, ummm...limited.

Pagey's_Girl
05-27-2009, 07:56 PM
A co-worker had the space bar stop working on him. He didn't want to buy an new one, even though he could expense it. He'd copy a space character from something pre-existing, and paste it in whenever he needed a space. Seriously.

Was he an engineer, by some chance? Because I used to work with a bunch of them and that sounds very familiar.

On the flip side of that, my desktop at home (which is more or less a Frankenputer patched together from who-knows-what) has an old IBM AT keyboard that I've had since 1984. It's one of those old-school clicky-clacky things that sounds like a manual typewriter. I love that thing. :D

ETA - back at a former job, our annoying corporate trainer would always condescendingly say, "Now now, ladies, remember: there is no "I" in "TEAM!" I always had to bite my tongue because I wanted to retort, "No, but there is an "M" and an "E!"

Clair Dickson
05-27-2009, 08:22 PM
ETA - back at a former job, our annoying corporate trainer would always condescendingly say, "Now now, ladies, remember: there is no "I" in "TEAM!" I always had to bite my tongue because I wanted to retort, "No, but there is an "M" and an "E!"

I usually don't hold my tongue... =)

Clair Dickson
05-30-2009, 06:06 AM
UPDATE: My replacement hinges arrived this afternoon. In less than thirty seconds, I was back in business. :snoopy:

Just in time for the last day of class. ;-) Oh well.

Matera the Mad
05-30-2009, 07:04 AM
I-ay-aaaay!