PDA

View Full Version : The Golden Girls Thread

brainstorm77
05-26-2009, 07:25 PM
I'm a huge fan! I can watch the episodes over and over. I just thought the show deserved it's own thread here on AW :)

Claudia Gray
05-26-2009, 08:34 PM
I would happily rewatch some Golden Girls right this second.

brainstorm77
05-26-2009, 08:39 PM
I would happily rewatch some Golden Girls right this second.

Youtube has every episode.

aruna
05-26-2009, 09:30 PM
My husband and I used to watch them years ago... in German! Lovd them.

kristin724
06-03-2009, 08:17 AM
My husband hates The Golden Girls. I watch it all the time, even episodes I've seen dozens of times! I wish Hallmark and now We Tv had more variety or played the seasons in order, but I love how at almost any given time I can tune in. Maybe in the future I'll break down and get the dvd sets. They are pretty cheap now, and I think the features might be fun.

Writer2011
06-03-2009, 08:20 AM
I absolutely LOVED this show...It was definitely original..at the time we'd never seen a group of senior citizen women living together. But it was one funny show..I have GOT to get this on DVD.

dgiharris
06-03-2009, 11:16 AM
This show was one of the few with PHENONMENAL writing. My understanding is that the writers had more or less free reign.

The actresses were incredibly talented, all of them were just superb. Writing was definitely edgy and ahead of its time. Overall, great show.

Mel...

EFCollins
06-03-2009, 03:45 PM
I love this show. Estelle Getty was a trip as "Ma" aka "Sophia". I always wanted a granny like her. Imagining that tiny woman as giving birth to the giant Dorothy turned out to be is comical. Seeing them together (Estelle Getty and Bea Arthur) as a mother/daughter pair, though, it was totally believable. It really had it all. Who could have ever imagined a show about four old ladies would go for as long as it did? I mean, think about it. The growing old flamboyant bimbo, the countrified idiot, the Italian mother and the lonely old school teacher, lol. One thing that made it so great was that the women giving these performances let the characters, well, have character. They took the cliches and went beyond them into deeper places people just don't think old women have in them anymore. Because you have to admit, every single one of them is a cliche, even for their time, although the ladies' smart mouths weren't ;). The fact that the actors took them and made them, not only alive and believable, but vibrant, is what makes it such a good show even now. I figure it'll be on in fifty years too, right along side Gilligan's Island lol. It's too good to go off air. (Gilligan's Island has never been off air since it's first show. Over forty years of rerunning.) The writing was indeed spectacular, witty, quick and with just enough oomph to grab at you and keep you watching. I thought I was in a small club of people who still watched this, lol. My grandma loved this show and we watched it at her house all the time when I was a kid. Ah, good TV. :)

brainstorm77
06-03-2009, 08:12 PM
It's sad that Bea Arthur and Estelle Getty have passed on. Since watching the episodes on YouTube I have also discovered that the guy who played Stan Died in 1996 and the little girl who played Rose's grandaughter Charley has also passed away some years back.

dgiharris
06-03-2009, 09:04 PM
Yes, Sophia was the 'snoopy' of the show. Absolutely loved that spunky old lady.

It is rare that you can get the 'chemisty' that Golden Girls had. The characters and actresses could not have been more perfectly matched

Mel...

rhymegirl
06-04-2009, 07:32 AM
Count me in as a Golden Girls fan. I watched it when it first came on the air and these days in reruns.

A very funny show that always makes me laugh. Their comic timing was great.

brainstorm77
06-05-2009, 03:46 AM
I agree *sigh* I love it when they sit up late at night and eat cheesecake :)

AyJay
06-05-2009, 03:55 AM
Yay a GG thread! My boyfriend turned me onto this show 9 years ago. When it first came out (and I was a lot younger) I thought it was stupid. But rediscovering it in my 30's was awesome. I agree, the writing was unparalleled for a sitcom and I can watch episodes over and over again and still laugh at the same parts. It used to be on Lifetime from 11pm - 12am, perfect for watching in bed. Ahhhh

brainstorm77
06-05-2009, 04:41 AM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y9/jackie6977/gg.jpg

kristin724
06-15-2009, 03:59 AM
My husband hates this show, and he accuses me of watching one of two things: The Golden Girls or Bond. Pretty big difference! I've worked in senior centers and like old films and music, so I get a lot of the humor. I think the new generation who doesn't like this show, it's because they don't get a lot of references. My husband couldn't understand why I laughed so much over the 'Glenn Miller's not dead, he's missing!'

And growing up as in old school Italian home, that insult of 'May your marinara sauce never cling to your pasta!' <gasp!> is the best!

brainstorm77
06-15-2009, 04:05 AM
One line I like is by Dorothy. "No Rose, she's upset because they keep changing the taste of coke!" LMAO!

TheIT
06-15-2009, 04:11 AM
I never watched this show when it was first run, but I've been starting to catch the reruns. Very fun, and agreed, wonderful chemistry between the whole cast.

brainstorm77
06-15-2009, 01:07 PM
I never watched this show when it was first run, but I've been starting to catch the reruns. Very fun, and agreed, wonderful chemistry between the whole cast.

I watch it on YouTube but I think I am going to get the DVD's.

kristin724
06-18-2009, 10:01 AM
Yes, I've noticed the tv broadcasts now on We and The Hallmark channel are shaved and edited just a bit. Also, they seem to show the same episodes over and over, not just all the seasons straight through. I think I saw the dvds at movie stop for $12. Not bad!

"From the pit of my stomach to the porcelain of the bowl" Love the way Dorothy clamps on Sophia's mouth.

brainstorm77
06-18-2009, 04:27 PM
$12 is pretty cheap. I seen them at Walmart for $39.97 for each season.

AyJay
06-18-2009, 05:03 PM
Blanche to Rose: "I lost Anderbeau and a beau."

brainstorm77
06-18-2009, 05:06 PM
I may be wrong but she was talking about a female friend and I thought the name was Annne Debeau

dclary
06-18-2009, 06:46 PM
I like the one where the one old lady gets confused about something, the other old lady is having weird sex, and that other old lady says things that are funny because it's an old lady saying them.

Chasing the Horizon
06-18-2009, 08:22 PM
There are very few comedies I like, but The Golden Girls are hilarious. I watch the reruns on Hallmark channel a lot. Sophia really cracks me up. I always tell my mom that when I'm old we'll be like Dorothy and Sophia, still living together. :D

brainstorm77
06-18-2009, 09:29 PM
I like the one where the one old lady gets confused about something, the other old lady is having weird sex, and that other old lady says things that are funny because it's an old lady saying them.

funny except for sophia they are in their 50's ... thats old Dave?

kristin724
06-19-2009, 08:09 AM
Yes, I think The Golden Girls seem older to younger folks today, because not only are they in their 50s, but it's from the 80s. Some of the styles in the early seasons-and heck even in 1990- look really Old Lady bad!

Moviestop is a new video store chain that sort of sprung from Gamestop, but they are only on the US East Coast now I believe. They sell new and used and you can trade in, too, so I find a lot of things I'm looking for there cheap.