PDA

View Full Version : Buffy Relaunch in the works...without Whedon

childeroland
05-26-2009, 08:40 AM
From Hollywood Reporter:

A new incarnation of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" could be coming to the big screen.

"Buffy" creator Joss Whedon isn't involved and it's not set up at a studio, but Roy Lee and Doug Davison of Vertigo Entertainment are working with original movie director Fran Rubel Kuzui and her husband, Kaz Kuzui, on what is being labeled a remake or relaunch, but not a sequel or prequel.

While Whedon is the person most associated with "Buffy," Kuzui and her Kuzui Enterprises have held onto the rights since the beginning, when she discovered the "Buffy" script from then-unknown Whedon. She developed the script while her husband put together the financing to make the 1992 movie, which was released by Fox.

Kuzui later teamed with Gail Berman, then president of Sandollar Television, bringing back Whedon to make the TV series, which was produced by Fox TV and launched on the WB in 1997. Kuzui and Sandollar received executive producer credits on "Buffy" and its spinoff, "Angel."

The new "Buffy" film, however, would have no connection to the TV series, nor would it use popular supporting characters like Angel, Willow, Xander or Spike. Vertigo and Kuzui are looking to restart the story line without trampling on the beloved existing universe created by Whedon, putting the parties in a similar situation faced by Paramount, J.J. Abrams and his crew when relaunching "Star Trek."

One of the underlying ideas of "Buffy" allows Vertigo and Kuzui to do just that: that each generation has its own vampire slayer to protect it. The goal would be to make a darker, event-sized movie that would, of course, have franchise potential.

The parties are meeting with writers and hearing takes, and later will look for a home for the project. The producers do not rule out Whedon's involvement but have not yet reached out to him.Speaking from Tokyo, Fran Kuzui said the company is constantly approached not only about sequels but theater, video games and foreign remakes for "Buffy." When Vertigo's Lee contacted them, they were intrigued.

"It was Roy's interest in taking Buffy into a new place that grabbed us," she said, noting that original exec producer Sandy Gallin also was consulted. "It was based on our respect for what he does, and his particular sensitivity to Asian filmmakers, that we wanted to work with him."

Kuzui, who is prepping do direct a movie in Japan in the fall, added: "Everything has its moment. Every movie takes on a life at some point, and this seems like the moment to do this."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i666afabc28491e6a5d5861d83ae30855

Zoombie
05-26-2009, 08:52 AM
Those...

Bastards.

WAS CANCELING FIREFLY NOT ENOUGH!? WHY MUST YOU DESTROY EVERYTHING JOSS WHEYDON HAS LABORED SO HARD TO CREATE!?

MissKris
05-26-2009, 09:27 AM
No.

You. Must. Not. Mess. With. Genuis.

MelodyO
05-26-2009, 09:53 AM
HERESY. Joss Whedon must be rolling in his grave! Or...he would be if he were dead. He must be rolling in his bed. And not in the good way.

Spike must be rolling in his coffin. Or...he would be if he were alive. Stupid amulet.

dgiharris
05-26-2009, 11:15 AM
I wonder if us Whedonites will rise up to smite this film. No way i'm watching a Buffy film without the creator at the helm.

In fact, I still have my pitchfork and am awaiting our mass assembly to rout out the Fox Execs who canceled firefly and hang them by their genitalia.

Mel...

Zoombie
05-26-2009, 11:25 AM
That's far FAR too kind for them, Mel...

K. Taylor
05-26-2009, 02:10 PM
At least they only want to use the Buffy character!!!! This could be SOOOOO much worse, if they wanted to re-cast the show for a movie.

Leah_Michelle
05-26-2009, 02:14 PM
Those...

Bastards.

WAS CANCELING FIREFLY NOT ENOUGH!? WHY MUST YOU DESTROY EVERYTHING JOSS WHEYDON HAS LABORED SO HARD TO CREATE!?

R.I.P. Firefly :cry:
We hardly knew ye.

Cranky
05-26-2009, 05:35 PM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sunna
05-26-2009, 05:38 PM
Blasphemy.

ChaosTitan
05-26-2009, 05:45 PM
Kuzui and Sandollar own the rights to Buffy, and I think it shows a huge amount of respect for fans and for the phenomenon Joss created by being very careful about using those rights.

Fran Kuzui said the company is constantly approached not only about sequels but theater, video games and foreign remakes for "Buffy." When Vertigo's Lee contacted them, they were intrigued.

"It was Roy's interest in taking Buffy into a new place that grabbed us," she said, noting that original exec producer Sandy Gallin also was consulted.

Lee isn't the first one to want to remake the character, but apparently he's the first one with a vision that appealed to them. It sounds like he wants to mine the concept of Slayers, not rape the Whedonverse.

I'm not happy about it and won't be without more details, but a lot of fans were also protesting those early rumors of a Star Trek reboot. And that worked out okay. ;)

Claudia Gray
05-26-2009, 06:50 PM
Honestly, I think you could do something like this, but not yet. One reason the ST reboot worked so well is because it had been so long since the original; it hasn't been long enough since BTVS to audiences to really feel like a new version is necessary or welcome.

katiemac
05-26-2009, 08:11 PM
I'm with Kelly on this one. It doesn't sound like they're necessarily looking in to remake Buffy, but a new Slayer story. I don't know how I feel about this yet.

Cranky
05-27-2009, 12:38 AM
Honestly, I think you could do something like this, but not yet. One reason the ST reboot worked so well is because it had been so long since the original; it hasn't been long enough since BTVS to audiences to really feel like a new version is necessary or welcome.

I completely agree. It's just too soon, at least for me. Shoot, every month or so, I watch a season at a go, just because, even though I can prolly quote whole eps line-by-line.

I don't mind the concept (especially if they're not going to try to slot someone else in as "Buffy", but make a new slayer thingy), but...not just yet.

AmandaAcidic
05-27-2009, 02:06 AM
I'm completely against this. Maybe after more time has past, but I doubt it. Not without Joss.

katiemac
05-27-2009, 02:22 AM
Joss says, "I hope it's cool." http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/05/a-joss-less-buf.html

See, the more I think about this, it really kind of sucks. Because, yes, Kazui and Kazui own the rights to Buffy. But Joss created the characters and story, and he sold the rights so Kazui Enterprises could make the film and tv show. It's kind of like when Michael Jackson bought the rights to the Beatles music out from under Paul McCartney then sold the usage rights for crappy tv commercials.

K. Taylor
05-27-2009, 02:24 AM
They only own the Buffy name and the movie characters. Everything else belongs to Joss.

If they want to make a new Slayer and launch her, fine. If they want to re-cast a Buffy and not use the Whedon feel, it's going to bomb, just like the first time. Everywhere I've looked today, even just using the Buffy name has fans up in arms.

They just want to capitalize on Twilight money.....which means more teen emo crap.

Sage
05-27-2009, 02:29 AM
The new "Buffy" film, however, would have no connection to the TV series, nor would it use popular supporting characters like Angel, Willow, Xander or Spike. Vertigo and Kuzui are looking to restart the story line without trampling on the beloved existing universe created by Whedon, putting the parties in a similar situation faced by Paramount, J.J. Abrams and his crew when relaunching "Star Trek."
Um, going from the Buffy movie to the series was already a relaunching like the one for Star Trek, wasn't it?

One of the underlying ideas of "Buffy" allows Vertigo and Kuzui to do just that: that each generation has its own vampire slayer to protect it. The goal would be to make a darker, event-sized movie that would, of course, have franchise potential.
So is it actually going to be Buffy then? For this "underlying idea" to really be relevant, we'd be talking about a new Slayer.... (and let's not even go into how the series' end changed the one per generation thing).

Sage
05-27-2009, 02:34 AM
I could be cool with another Slayer. I mean I run a Buffy game with "Cera, the Vampire Slayer," so that might be okay. But, yeah, rebooting Buffy just doesn't work for me, especially without Joss.

DavidZahir
05-27-2009, 05:15 AM
I'm skeptical, but we'll see.

pixydust
05-29-2009, 04:50 AM
WHAT?????!!!! How can this beeee? How, how, HOW?! What is the world coming to? Next thing you know they'll be trying to remake water! You can't remake a pure, amazing, thing. It's just not possible!

Let me at 'em!

SWickham
05-29-2009, 08:44 AM
No Joss No Go. That is all...

childeroland
05-29-2009, 05:10 PM
Why not do a 'Fray' film...but with Whedon?

katiemac
05-29-2009, 06:37 PM
Why not do a 'Fray' film...but with Whedon?

That was kind of my initial thought, too.

Sage
05-29-2009, 06:47 PM
Exactly. Why reboot the character Buffy, when you have a world of other Slayers to play with?

Satori1977
05-29-2009, 08:17 PM
When I first heard they were making a Buffy movie, I was so excited. I thought it would have the original cast from the show, and pick up where the show left off. Then I read that they want to make a remake of the original movie, and recast the role of Buffy. So no Sarah Michelle, no Scooby Gang, and now no Whedon. Sorry, I won't be watching. And I am a huge Buffy fan.

Grrarrgh
05-31-2009, 02:00 AM
I don't know how I feel about this yet. What exactly are they doing? Kuzui directed the original movie, right? I thought it was horrible. I f Mr. Grr hadn't forced me to start watching the series in season 2, I never would have even looked at it based on how awful the movie was. Are they going to try to do something along those same lines? Are they going to just take the Buffy myth and run with it? The end of the series did away with the one-in-a-generation idea, so they can't just pick up there. I guess they could just use a different slayer and go with that, but.... I don't know. I'm just confused about what they're planning to do.

Zoombie
06-02-2009, 05:09 AM
I'd LOVE to see a Fray movie, btw.

Vincent
06-02-2009, 05:14 AM
Yeah, but will it have Luke Perry?

dgiharris
06-02-2009, 05:15 AM
Exactly. Why reboot the character Buffy, when you have a world of other Slayers to play with?

this is a good point. I may be able to stomach a story set in the buffy verse rather than just redoing buffy

Mel...

AmandaAcidic
06-02-2009, 05:18 AM
this is a good point. I may be able to stomach a story set in the buffy verse rather than just redoing buffy

Mel...

That's a little better, but it still feels wrong without Joss.