PDA

View Full Version : Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen...the "Fanboy" thread

robeiae
05-26-2009, 02:32 AM
So as not to further derail the never-ending Star Trek thread, I offer this, the ultimate Transformers fanboy thread.

Now, the way I see it, Transformers is gonna clean up this Summer and be number one at the box office. I have very few doubts about this.

It will hit the theaters with no blockbuster-type competition, all the way through July 4th week-end, with the exception of Public Enemies (which won't draw the same crowd). Hell, it should rule until Harry Potter hits.

dgrintalis
05-26-2009, 02:36 AM
I agree. I will be that chick in the back of the theater cheering like crazy!

dclary
05-26-2009, 02:47 AM
I'm putting on my Dumbledore hat and Spock ears and crying "heretic!!!"

robeiae
05-26-2009, 02:49 AM
I'm putting on my Dumbledore hat and Spock ears and crying "heretic!!!"
Yeah, that's the funny thing to me. Looking around teh internetz, I see all these peeps agreeing that it will be number one, but also being pissed about it.

What's wrong with high-gloss escapism, anyway? At least no one is sparkling...

wannawrite
05-26-2009, 05:55 AM
My eldest is counting the days. Me, too. We are transformer geeks. What do we call ourselves? Trannies? Anybody?

Opty
05-26-2009, 06:58 AM
Can we also have a thread on Megan Fox?

MissKris
05-26-2009, 09:29 AM
After the first one (which I was totally "whatever" about before I saw it and totally "yeeeeaaaaahhhhhh!" about after I saw it) I am pumped for the second Transformers movie. Bring it!

And nope, I don't see any competition. Not really.

dgiharris
05-26-2009, 09:52 AM
Yeah,

I'm not counting on super strong writing, just a mindless action summer flick. Since this is the type of movie you really want to see on the big screen, they will probably get my $10. I'll wait till some friends see it first just to confirm its not complete dogshit.

But yeah, this will be a hit. "But" I think ST is going to do better :)

THe main thing about being king of the summer isn't just the opening weekend, but repeat viewing. ONly way they will get repeat viewings is if it kicks ass.

If it is just merely 'o.k.' I don't think it will get there.

Mel...

childeroland
05-26-2009, 08:47 PM
Y'all really think this is going to beat Harry Potter 6?

robeiae
05-26-2009, 08:56 PM
Y'all really think this is going to beat Harry Potter 6?
As I noted in the Star Trek thread, the first Transformers outgrossed each and every one of the Harry Potter films in the U.S. And that's what I'm talking about, here. Sorry, should have been clearer.

Worldwide? I'm not sure.

AmandaAcidic
05-27-2009, 02:09 AM
I think ST will probably be a better movie, but I'm incredibly excited about Transformers.

I will also be the crazy chick in the back of the theater cheering =]

Leah_Michelle
05-28-2009, 12:08 AM
I think ST will probably be a better movie, but I'm incredibly excited about Transformers.

I will also be the crazy chick in the back of the theater cheering =]

No. Crazy is at the Prince Caspian midnight showing with a chubby little 8th grader getting overexcited when movie posters were handed out for a dollar. He jumped up from his seat, thrust a dollar into the air, and screamed from the top of his lungs, "I HAVE A DOLLAR!!!" Then he proceeded to bolt down the stairs to retrieve said poster...

I'm uber excited for this movie though. I hope my theater does a pre-screening. *ponders*

AmandaAcidic
05-28-2009, 12:24 AM
No. Crazy is at the Prince Caspian midnight showing with a chubby little 8th grader getting overexcited when movie posters were handed out for a dollar. He jumped up from his seat, thrust a dollar into the air, and screamed from the top of his lungs, "I HAVE A DOLLAR!!!" Then he proceeded to bolt down the stairs to retrieve said poster...

I'm uber excited for this movie though. I hope my theater does a pre-screening. *ponders*

Oh that's cute! I wish I could have seen that.

Polenth
05-28-2009, 12:50 AM
You can't beat a few giant robots. I doubt I'll be as fired-up afterwards as Star Trek, but Transformers isn't really about the continuing storyline or worldbuilding. It's about giant robots smashing stuff and explosions.

childeroland
05-28-2009, 01:15 AM
But it is nice to see them give new takes on old favorite characters like Soundwave and Ravage, and to look forward to even more characters like the Triple-Changers and Dinobots. Jeez, I'm 10 years-old again.

dclary
05-28-2009, 02:55 AM
You can't beat a few giant robots. I doubt I'll be as fired-up afterwards as Star Trek, but Transformers isn't really about the continuing storyline or worldbuilding. It's about giant robots smashing stuff and explosions.

Coinkindinkily, so is Terminator these days!

Leah_Michelle
05-28-2009, 12:40 PM
It's about giant robots smashing stuff and explosions.

Michael Bay's movies:
Explosion to start things off, dialogue, more sets of explosions, more dialogue, something else explodes, love scene, explosions, end.

That is every movie he has ever done, and sadly I can't get enough.

Danjreid
05-28-2009, 02:58 PM
Ever wondered what "The Dark Knight" would have been like had Michael Bay been at the helm? If you have, wonder no more...

http://my.spill.com/profiles/blog/show?id=947994%3ABlogPost%3A355506

Well, it amused me anyway!

Leah_Michelle
05-28-2009, 10:38 PM
Ever wondered what "The Dark Knight" would have been like had Michael Bay been at the helm? If you have, wonder no more...

http://my.spill.com/profiles/blog/show?id=947994%3ABlogPost%3A355506

Well, it amused me anyway!

Ahahahahahah! That just made my day. Thanks for that.

robeiae
06-09-2009, 11:51 PM
Who's the boss?

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20090608-711047.html

Harry Potter's gettin' shoved back on the IMAX schedule, in favor of Transformers having a longer run.

Why is that, do you ask?

Apparently, Japanese reviewers (it just premiered in Japan) are saying it's better than the first...

ETA: For Opty: http://www.imagebam.com/image/205b6038417075

Wavy_Blue
06-10-2009, 07:47 AM
I am quite excited to see this one. It won't be hard for the story to beat that of the first film ("In the beginning, there was the cube..." WTF?) Regardless of story merits, robots transforming is pretty flipping awesome.

But it won't beat Harry. Even if the first Transformers outgrossed all other Harry films, Potterphiles have been pissing themselves for six months to see this one. If it isn't the highest grossing film of 2009, its definitely going to have the biggest weekend opener of the year (maybe all time). I just think that since there has been so much build up and tension since the release date was pushed back there will be more fire behind this film.

katiemac
06-10-2009, 07:55 AM
Who's the boss?

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20090608-711047.html

Harry Potter's gettin' shoved back on the IMAX schedule, in favor of Transformers having a longer run.

Why is that, do you ask?

Apparently, Japanese reviewers (it just premiered in Japan) are saying it's better than the first...

Harry Potter's late IMAX release is just going to boost its numbers. Everyone who wants to see it as soon as it's released won't have a choice between a regular viewing and an IMAX. Then the IMAX hits, and those who want those 12 minutes of 3D will flock to it again ... :)

Actually, I don't think the Potter push has anything to do with Transformers extending the run. Didn't they always sign on for a month release? And then Harry Potter went and moved its release date, so it conflicted with Transformers schedule.

It will be interesting to see which movie wins summer blockbuster. I'm completely out of touch with the Transformers buzz so, like I said before, I tend to forget about it.

Leah_Michelle
06-10-2009, 09:41 AM

:eek: Words cannot express the envy I have...and I really want that dress.

Honestly though, I would think that HP would will out over Transformers, but Transformers seems to generate more people of all ages: kids, teens, adults...everyone.
HP has always been more kid-oriented merely because it was written for children.

DragonHeart
06-11-2009, 08:00 PM
I can't wait for this. I only go to the movies a few times a year and this will definitely be one of those times.

Diana Hignutt
06-11-2009, 08:33 PM
My eldest is counting the days. Me, too. We are transformer geeks. What do we call ourselves? Trannies? Anybody?

Re: Trannies. Uh, that's taken, I'm afraid. But you can have it.

Yeah, this is the only other movie I'll see in the theater (saw ST twice) this summer.

childeroland
06-11-2009, 10:26 PM
From IESB, the Wheelie/Mikaela clip now in English.

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7009&Itemid=99

Leah_Michelle
06-16-2009, 07:17 AM
Re: Trannies. Uh, that's taken, I'm afraid. But you can have it.

How did I miss that quote before?!? That's hilarious!

Leah_Michelle
06-16-2009, 07:20 AM
From IESB, the Wheelie/Mikaela clip now in English.

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7009&Itemid=99

WTF is Wheelie? That part is way cheesy.

Matt Willard
06-17-2009, 09:48 PM
WTF is Wheelie? That part is way cheesy.

He's actually a toy truck.

Hmmm, I thought I'd hate Wheelie, but I approve of his copious swears :V

Leah_Michelle
06-18-2009, 09:17 AM
Him calling Megan Fox a bitch was amusing. The whole talking to himself thing, not so much.

Art_Sempai
06-21-2009, 09:36 AM
Arrrgh...That scene is funny...but it doesn't feel Transformers to me. :Shrug:
I'm still going to see it...I'm preparing mentally for the BS stream that will be
coming hard and fast from the screen.

BigWords
06-21-2009, 02:26 PM
I know there is a lot of love for the walking tin cans in this thread (and I already have G1 season one, the cartoon movie and the Bay film on DVD), but the names of the characters are highly suspect.

Mudflap and Skids? C'mon, don't try to convince me that nobody else picked up on the blatant scat-fixation of whoever named those guys. And they're brothers...

Whoever picked those names should be ashamed of themselves.

Art_Sempai
06-22-2009, 04:13 AM
LOL, I wonder if Tracks is in the cast.

I know there is a lot of love for the walking tin cans in this thread (and I already have G1 season one, the cartoon movie and the Bay film on DVD), but the names of the characters are highly suspect.

Mudflap and Skids? C'mon, don't try to convince me that nobody else picked up on the blatant scat-fixation of whoever named those guys. And they're brothers...

Leah_Michelle
06-22-2009, 01:35 PM

Wow lol. I didn't actually read the cast list, so I didn't see the names.

Toothpaste
06-23-2009, 10:46 PM
Here's my review of the film: http://tinyurl.com/nnawfv

triceretops
06-23-2009, 11:05 PM
Got to say I'll support this too. Was NEVER expecting the first one to be so stunningly good, with extremely difficult CGI to begin with. Both lead characters pulled it off.

I'm robot crazy anyway.

Tri

maestrowork
06-23-2009, 11:20 PM
Here's my review of the film: http://tinyurl.com/nnawfv

Definitely too long a review. ;) I think the following would have sufficed:

"Michael Bay movie. Megan Fox. Explosions. Potty humor. Megan Fox. Geeks and nerds in the world rejoice: Life is worth living again. Megan Fox. Ka-Ching. Ka-Ching. Ka-Ching. Megan Fox. Ka-Ching."

BigWords
06-23-2009, 11:28 PM
*pointedly not admitting to having seen the image*

Uh, anyone seen the pics of Megan Fox dressed as Supergirl? No? Neither have I...

Delhomeboy
06-24-2009, 12:33 AM
Goin' to see it at midnight!

Jcomp
06-24-2009, 12:35 AM
This thing is getting BLASTED in reviews, and not just by critics who you'd expect to trash a Michael Bay action flick, but people who love big dumb action movies and gave positive reviews to the first flick.

And I keep reading about Mudflaps and Skids being racist. All this almost makes me want to see it more just to know if it's all truly that bad.

BigWords
06-24-2009, 12:51 AM
Haven't heard of the racism card being pulled on this Transformers.

There was fanboy mutterings about some of the Beast Wars animal choices waaaay back, but this is new to me.

dclary
06-24-2009, 02:54 AM

Those are actual names of toy characters from the earliest transformers toy lines.. And mudflap and skids are CAR terms, you perv.

BigWords
06-24-2009, 03:53 AM
I'm removing myself from this thread before I'm thrown off it :D

...but I've done a full list of the bad names over there *points outside*

childeroland
06-24-2009, 03:55 AM
Supposedly sums up the film pretty well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/markkermode/2009/06/transformers_190609.html

scarletpeaches
06-24-2009, 03:59 AM
http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss233/doriangrayspictures/Shianotamused.jpg

maestrowork
06-24-2009, 04:00 AM
* puke *

nevada
06-24-2009, 04:02 AM
another early review, also blasting it and also calling mudflaps and skids racist.

http://start.shaw.ca/start/enCA/Entertainment/EntertainmentNewsArticle.htm?src=e0623101A.xml

I wasn't impressed with the first one, so i'll definitely give this one a go. In the one trailer I saw, the giant transformer was going down a highway, knocking over cars and stuff and it looked extremely fake. like they'd gone back to tiny models instead of CGI.

scarletpeaches
06-24-2009, 04:04 AM
I haven't seen either film, but I've kinda got a crush on Megan Fox, so I might.

Sorry, but...totty wins every time.

Toothpaste
06-24-2009, 08:29 AM
Definitely too long a review. ;) I think the following would have sufficed:

"Michael Bay movie. Megan Fox. Explosions. Potty humor. Megan Fox. Geeks and nerds in the world rejoice: Life is worth living again. Megan Fox. Ka-Ching. Ka-Ching. Ka-Ching. Megan Fox. Ka-Ching."

You're not the first person to make that joke ;) . Heck I even considered doing it myself, but the beauty of HcN is that I actually get to go in depth about why things don't work, analyse what went wrong etc. It might be longer than average, but to be honest I'm pretty damn proud of it and I've gotten some lovely complements on it as well so I stick my tongue out at you sir!

And I agree with the other reviewers who say that Mudflap and Skids were a bit racist. I was quite surprised to see such characters in a film this day and age, seemed like the kind of joke they'd make in the 70s.

Epiphany
06-24-2009, 11:03 AM
I loved it.

And lately I have been agreeing with the critics on everything, but I really loved it. It was fun.

dgrintalis
06-24-2009, 11:24 AM
I just got home from the theater and I agree with Epiphany. It was lots of fun and I loved it!

:)

Wavy_Blue
06-24-2009, 01:23 PM
I thought it was alright. It would have be soooo much better if some of the Transformers weren't such jokes (Mudflap, Skids, the little one that humped Megan Fox), the humor hadn't sucked so hard, and if the ending wasn't so drawn out.

All in all, there were still giant robots fighting, so I enjoyed it.

dclary
06-24-2009, 03:21 PM
I thought the movie did three things wrong:

First, too many comedy characters. They essentially replaced Bernie Mac and Anthony Anderson with Flapjack and Mudskid.

Second, the humping scene.

Finally, too much cursing. Cursing for laughs by the robots. Cursing by everyone in the film, it seemed like. I don't remember the first movie having so much cussing.

Other than these very minor concerns, the movie rocked ass.

childeroland
06-24-2009, 10:53 PM
The film isn't really that bad. If you come to it with no expectations other than pure diversion, it works all right.

Toothpaste
06-24-2009, 11:21 PM
The film isn't really that bad. If you come to it with no expectations other than pure diversion, it works all right.

I disagree. And I DID expect little more than a diversion. Not everyone who dislikes this film was expecting high art. Some of us just didn't expect to find it so boring by the end that they almost fell asleep.

maestrowork
06-24-2009, 11:43 PM
I haven't seen it yet, but judging from the first one, I agree with Toothpaste. The first one wasn't horrible, but it certainly wasn't the best of action/sci-fi. It was fun, with some good humor, but the last 30 minutes ruined it for me -- it was just mind-numbing, overdrawn, excessive (and you couldn't see WTF was going on except metals flying around changing shapes). Michael Bay doesn't know when to stop! It was as if it was made for the ADHD crowd. I didn't have to urge to go back and see it. Once is enough.

If you like your movies play like a video game, then you should be happy with it. I, on the other hand, prefer my movies to be movies, with believable characters, situations, and some depth -- yeah, even for Transformers. I grew up with the Transformers series and that certainly wasn't just some mind-numbing SFX through and through. It actually fed my imagination. But the problem with the Transformers movie (at least the original) is that it lacks imagination. It is sensory bombardment, leaving me no room to think, feel, or use my imagination.

childeroland
06-25-2009, 01:05 AM
Ray DeRousse (Obsessed With Film) on the film:

http://www.obsessedwithfilm.com/reviews/transformers-revenge-of-the-fallen-rays-review.php

Can't wait for /Filmcast to tackle it.

Filmfreakcentral tore into it too, as you can imagine.

Smileycat
06-25-2009, 01:41 AM
I just saw it, and, unfortunately, didn't like it.

Too much action, not enough plot, annoying silliness (not the good kind).

childeroland
06-25-2009, 04:22 AM
Killer review by Charlie Anders on io9:

http://io9.com/5301898/michael-bay-finally-made-an-art-movie

Critical consensus on Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen is overwhelmingly negative. But the critics are wrong. Michael Bay used a squillion dollars and a hundred supercomputers' worth of CG for a brilliant art movie about the illusory nature of plot.

Oh, and I would warn you that there'll be spoilers in this review — except that, really, since I still have no idea what actually happened in this movie, I'm not sure how much I can spoil it.

Cyia
06-25-2009, 05:15 AM
Far too much fail for one movie.

Explosion. Place actor. Explosion. Explosion. Funky cut away that has nothing to do with anything. Explosion. Place actor... oh wait, they probably need to speak for a while... Explosion. Explosion. Explosion. Explosion. Explosion.

And apparently the humor was written by a 12-year-old boy.

Delhomeboy
06-25-2009, 05:31 AM
Far too much fail for one movie.

Explosion. Place actor. Explosion. Explosion. Funky cut away that has nothing to do with anything. Explosion. Place actor... oh wait, they probably need to speak for a while... Explosion. Explosion. Explosion. Explosion. Explosion.

And apparently the humor was written by a 12-year-old boy.

You forgot to stick Megan Fox in there.

But I agree...to a point. Because, as goes with these things, and as the review listed a few posts above hints at, this movie fails so much, it practically wins.

dclary
06-25-2009, 05:56 AM
Supposedly sums up the film pretty well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/markkermode/2009/06/transformers_190609.html

That's pretty lame.

The movie was very entertaining. It was head and shoulders about Angels and Demons. It was better than Terminator.

It wasn't better than Star Trek.

ChaosTitan
06-25-2009, 07:04 PM
I thought the movie did three things wrong:

First, too many comedy characters. They essentially replaced Bernie Mac and Anthony Anderson with Flapjack and Mudskid.

Second, the humping scene.

Finally, too much cursing. Cursing for laughs by the robots. Cursing by everyone in the film, it seemed like. I don't remember the first movie having so much cussing.

Ditto to all of this. I saw it last night, and while I liked the movie, a serious script polish would have made it better by leaps and bounds. The toilet humor seems like it was put in there to amuse fourteen year old boys. Mom getting high on the reefer brownie was just stupid (and way too embarrassing to be funny). And why did half of the robots suddenly develop bad, New York mafia-esque accents?

So the scene in which Megatron was talking to the Fallen, and the Fallen called him his apprentice....anyone else have a Star Wars moment?

Anyone else have an Indiana Jones moment when they arrived at the tomb of the Primes and it looked like an exterior form the Last Crusade? "Hey, Mutt!"

I really, really loved the first movie. This movie had so much potential, but I guess no one is going to look at Michael Bay and say, "Um, are you SURE?"

Shia LeBouf and Josh Duhamel were wonderful to look at, though. ;)

StephenJSweeney
06-25-2009, 07:55 PM
The movie was very entertaining. It was head and shoulders about Angels and Demons. It was better than Terminator. It wasn't better than Star Trek.

Yep; I second that.

I saw it last night and liked it, although I didn't think it was as good as it could have been. They could, perhaps, have made the film a lot darker.

Cyia
06-25-2009, 08:11 PM
I was seriously annoyed by the tongue tentacle. I think that was one of the stupidest uses of CGI ever (in the car when the close up showed it still had "Alice's" tongue on the end.)

Williebee
06-25-2009, 08:14 PM
Transformers -- GoBots in Disguise.

Wavy_Blue
06-25-2009, 08:30 PM
Anyone else have an Indiana Jones moment when they arrived at the tomb of the Primes and it looked like an exterior form the Last Crusade? "Hey, Mutt!"

I was totally thinking this, too! That tomb was freakishly similar to the one in Last Crusade.

Vincent
06-25-2009, 08:34 PM
I've heard some unsettling things about this film.

maestrowork
06-26-2009, 12:35 AM
It made over $60M on Wednesday alone. Only TDK has done better ($67M).

How it holds up is another matter. Even fan boys and girls are split about the movie.

Delhomeboy
06-26-2009, 12:37 AM
I was totally thinking this, too! That tomb was freakishly similar to the one in Last Crusade.

haha that's because it was the same one. Petra, the place they went to, is in Jordan. It was filmed in the Last Crusade as well as this movie, I think. And it's totally bad-ass. I don't know if this is the exact same place, but it is the most famous part of Petra, and so I'm pretty sure it's what they used:

http://asheyan.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/petra02.jpg

dclary
06-26-2009, 12:59 AM
That's lazy location scouting, I think. There was no reason why the tomb had to be in Petra.

And the psychic dream with the spirits of the primes?

Harumph.

Like I said. Entertaining movie? Hell yeah. Great movie? Hell no.

Delhomeboy
06-26-2009, 01:27 AM
That's lazy location scouting, I think. There was no reason why the tomb had to be in Petra.

And the psychic dream with the spirits of the primes?

Harumph.

Like I said. Entertaining movie? Hell yeah. Great movie? Hell no.

Yeah..I mean it's the epitome of the "bright lights, big sounds" movie that, if you try to delve into, will fall to pieces. I mean, has anyone thought about the plot of the movie and how ridiculous it was? How it completely contradicted the last movie, or how it has so many holes you could use it as a whack a mole board? No. But that's the point, of course.

Epiphany
06-26-2009, 11:52 AM
SPOILER::::

I loved it but also thought that if it didn't have Optimus parachuting in at the beginning, the cheesy Decepticon dialogue throughout, and Shia dying and then resurrecting for no explained reason, it would have been much better.

But from all the flack that I had heard, I came into the theatre expecting a shitty movie and was pleasantly surprised. I loved the first one, so that may have also added to the reasons why I couldn't hate this one.

Zoombie
06-26-2009, 12:02 PM
You know what keeps pissing me off?

People comparing this to watching a video games.

Michal Bay films are NOTHING like Video games. They're loud, dumb, obnoxious, and mindless. Many video games are thought provoking or at least "have characters we actually care about". Even the most shooty of shooty action games has more mental stimulation than almost every Michal Bay film MADE.

They're interactive stories, and usually, a lot of them have better stories than these so called films.

As a gamer, I just have to stop this tidal wave of poorly thought out assumptions.

...heck, even the original Doom had a more original and interesting plotline than the Transformers movie, imo.

Heck, it even had a more engaging characters.

And that character was just a little head at the bottom of the screen that looks left to right and grimaces when shot.

Stupid michal bay films...<grumble grumble>

Cyia
06-26-2009, 07:32 PM
*spoilers ahead*

I mean, has anyone thought about the plot of the movie and how ridiculous it was? How it completely contradicted the last movie, or how it has so many holes you could use it as a whack a mole board? No. But that's the point, of course.

Actually, this was one of the reasons I hated it so much.

They wasted all that time setting up the whole "Prime/Fallen" backstory, and there was no reason for it. (Of course there was a reason in the movie, but trying to introduce a totally new history that contradicted the first film was just stupid)

They dropped characters left and right.

The whole going to the Smithsonian to find a really really old rust bucket... that wasn't rusted while in the Smithsonian... so Optimus could get "super armor/power" when it died was stupid.

The roommate was nothing but a 3rd wheel they didn't need.

The "pet" deceptacon that Michaela somehow "trained" even though it was still stuck in the box in the trunk.

GRRR... too many to mention.

maestrowork
06-26-2009, 07:34 PM
Does anyone actually watch a Michael Bay movie for plot?

Tweet The Meat
06-26-2009, 10:04 PM
Spoilers

I thought it was pretty good. There were some really, really jarring moments.... like them walking out of the Air and Space Museum in Washington DC into the boneyard in Tucson, complete with the mountains in the background.... the twin Jar Jar Binks... several other things. But in the end, there was more to like than dislike I think.

Plus, Megan Fox. It has Megan Fox. I like Megan Fox.

yellosharpie
06-26-2009, 10:21 PM
I hated the first Transformers movie...The transformers hardly had any weight in it. Most of the movie was about Shia L and that Megan Fox chick. Terrible actress. Not excited about this film at all, the story line is bad and I hate the actors/actresses cast it's definitely aimed at 14-21 year old boys who probably never saw Transformers and even though most people loved it, it was just bleh to me.

No offense to anyone who liked it but I feel very strongly about this.

It just amazes me that so many people are hyped off of this sequel, terrible

But thats JMO

tarcanus
06-27-2009, 12:16 AM
I haven't seen it yet, but really want to - reason being, I grew up watching Beast Wars, and desperately want these transformers movies to reach the point where they do a prequel and redo the Beast Wars plots.

Megatron as Tyrannosaurus = win.

Delhomeboy
06-27-2009, 02:22 AM
that Megan Fox chick. Terrible actress. Not excited about this film at all, the story line is bad and I hate the actors/actresses cast it's definitely aimed at 14-21 year old boys who probably never saw Transformers and even though most people loved it, it was just bleh to me.

Why you gotta hate on 19 year olds? :cry:And you're missing the point of megan Fox's casting too lol.

yellosharpie
06-27-2009, 02:55 AM
Why you gotta hate on 19 year olds? :cry:And you're missing the point of megan Fox's casting too lol.

Oh no I get it, very strategic casting on their part. I suppose if guys love her they will see anything with Megan Fox...almost (?)

ChaosTitan
06-27-2009, 06:24 AM
Spoilers

I thought it was pretty good. There were some really, really jarring moments.... like them walking out of the Air and Space Museum in Washington DC into the boneyard in Tucson, complete with the mountains in the background....

Yeah, WTF was that???? Last time I checked, DC doesn't have mountains in it.

Dommo
06-27-2009, 06:28 AM
I agree, that was definitely a WTF moment.

maestrowork
06-27-2009, 07:07 AM
They thought they were making Land of the Lost...

Cyia
06-27-2009, 09:27 AM
They thought they were making Land of the Lost...

... which probably would have benefited from a few well placed explosions and some giant robots who ate up screen time from the actors. :D

Zoombie
06-27-2009, 10:12 AM
It was terrible.

Completely horrible.

Total dreck.

Racist, boring, stupid, and with all the depth of a spoon. The humor was worse than bad. The action was dull. The plot a resounding meh.

It sucked. It sucked. It sucked. It SUCKED.

dclary
06-27-2009, 12:41 PM
How do you really feel, Zoomie?

Zoombie
06-27-2009, 12:59 PM
It was incredifuckinghorribleterribadiablemoronicallyraci st.

BigWords
06-27-2009, 03:33 PM
Zoombie - You don't have to hold back. I know you're being diplomatic, but a harsher criticism won't hurt anyone's feelings. :D

10er
06-27-2009, 03:48 PM
It was terrible.

Completely horrible.

Total dreck.

Racist, boring, stupid, and with all the depth of a spoon. The humor was worse than bad. The action was dull. The plot a resounding meh.

It sucked. It sucked. It sucked. It SUCKED.

Signed.

I expected it to be bad and awesome like the first one, but alas: it is as you say.
I did like some of the action though. But not enough. I want a 60-70% refund.

Especially the racism and low brow humor were simply appalling. I'm a cynical guy myself, but Michael Bay really is in a whole different league. "No matter what I do, if the explosions are big enough, people will gobble that shit up and thank me for it. And it's alright to make more fun of black people than usually acceptable... because they're robots! LOL! I'm a genius. Oh and my fart jokes are funny too... because they're performed by robots!"
What a douche he is. What a total douche.

BigWords
06-27-2009, 04:12 PM
I sneaked back into this thread, so I might as well make a few salient points.

1 The whole "Summer Blockbuster" formula (and I include pretty much everything) is meant to be stupid, fluffy and irrelevant. If people wanted to think, they would read a book.
2 CGI is still at least five to ten years away from fulfilling the early promise. I accept the fact people will bring up Toy Story as some sort of 'high watermark', but the animation is still far from perfect.
3 Transformers was never coherent or sensible. The Energon which was such an important part of the cartoons were shown to be glowing cubes - the films continue the brain-dead writing / directing / acting which made the 'toon so (unintentionally) funny.
4 Michael Bay has directed at least one watchable film, so he isn't a bad director. He's completely out of his depth with the franchise, but that's not his fault - blame the producers for giving him the gig.
5 It's just a film. If you don't like it, then ignore the bloody thing. It'll be gone in a few months anyway, and people will have a new target for their venom and fury.

GI Joe will be along shortly, and public opinion will soon decide whether the trend for adapting old cartoons is going to continue. My personal view is obvious - most films exist to make us (as the audience) feel we are smarter than the people involved in making the film.

Zoombie
06-27-2009, 08:44 PM
Its not just a film, though. Its a BAD film, one created by a hack who keeps on making movies despite not having made a movie that does not insult my intelligence since the early 90s, and even THAT was a spotty record.

Remember, this is the guy who not only made Transformers 2, but also Armageddon, Pearl Harbor AND The Island (which is not just bad: Its also plagiarist)

I'm not even sure how good his "okay" movies, Bad Boys and Bad Boys 2 are, cause I've never seen them, but every Michal Bay film I've watched has been like a simultaneous dental operation and getting whacked in the face.

This guy is so inept, I would not even trust him to direct pornography, and yet people keep giving him MILLIONS OF DOLLARS!

Why?

Cause people file to his movies and let him trick them with shiney explosions and massive sounds that mean...NOTHING.

I mean, just THINK about Transformers 2 for a few seconds and realize how much of it is POINTLESS padding, to set up foils for equally pointless comic relief that contribute nothing to the plot! Really, if you cut out every extraneous character, joke, and scene, you'd have about 90 minuets of robots fighting and that would have been BEARABLE to watch.

This movie is not just bad, its insulting to both my intelligence and to black and Italian people. Cause, ya know, if you make them robots, its okay.

Now, you may ask why I went to see this movie despite having seen these other Michal Bay films. Why did I go to watch?

Well, firstly, it wasn't my money being wasted and secondly I was being dragged along by a bachelor party full of semi-creepy morons. And guess what?

They all loved it, the idiots.

Fortunately, though, while holding the door open for people so they could walk out, I saw a lot of people talking about how the movie...well...sucked.

But seriously, next time I get dragged kicking and screaming to a Michal Bay film, I'm gonna do what I originally planned when Mum said I had to go to the bachelor party: Buy a ticket to Star Wars and just watch that for the seventh time.

maestrowork
06-27-2009, 08:51 PM
1 The whole "Summer Blockbuster" formula (and I include pretty much everything) is meant to be stupid, fluffy and irrelevant. If people wanted to think, they would read a book.

Please don't insult the audiences' intelligence, yeah, even the teenage boys. Iron Man and TDK managed to be both smart and entertaining sumer blockbusters. Star Trek and UP are doing great, thank you very much. And dumb shit like Land of the Lost crashed and burned. Do you really think we will lap up any crap Hollywood throws at us in the name of "summer blockbuster"?

2 CGI is still at least five to ten years away from fulfilling the early promise. I accept the fact people will bring up Toy Story as some sort of 'high watermark', but the animation is still far from perfect.

What does it have to do with anything? Story first, pal. Watch movies made 15, 20 years ago (Back to the Future?) and you'd laugh at the CGI but they're still great movies.

3 Transformers was never coherent or sensible. The Energon which was such an important part of the cartoons were shown to be glowing cubes - the films continue the brain-dead writing / directing / acting which made the 'toon so (unintentionally) funny.

Live action needs to be more coherent and realistic than a cartoon. Besides, plenty of people who hated the films were avid fans of the animation. You logic fails.

4 Michael Bay has directed at least one watchable film, so he isn't a bad director. He's completely out of his depth with the franchise, but that's not his fault - blame the producers for giving him the gig.

Oh really? So he's done ONE watchable film so we should now celebrate his genius? Blame the producers? How many free passes are we going to give Michael Bay for making loud, obnoxious, plotless movies? Then again, it's your money in your wallet. Go ahead and make him extremely rich.

Meanwhile, those who have spent THEIR money watching this film has every right to call it crap. Live with it.

5 It's just a film. If you don't like it, then ignore the bloody thing. It'll be gone in a few months anyway, and people will have a new target for their venom and fury.

It's a movie discussion board and we are DAMN WELL allowed to talk about how CRAPPY this film, or any film for that matter, is. If you don't like what we're saying, ignore this thread and do something else.

GI Joe will be along shortly, and public opinion will soon decide whether the trend for adapting old cartoons is going to continue. My personal view is obvious - most films exist to make us (as the audience) feel we are smarter than the people involved in making the film.

We are paying audiences and we damn well can say a movie sucks if it does. Does it mean we all can be filmmakers? Just because someone makes a movie doesn't mean it is good and that we should just offer them praises. Do you not complain about the food your get in a restaurant and do you really think everyone can do better than the chef? Sorry, again, logic fails.

I get it that you love the film. And it's perfectly fine if others think it's crap.

Zoombie
06-27-2009, 08:54 PM
G. I Joe is at least by someone I semi-trust to deliver a pretty good action flick. I mean, the Mummy was a darn good movie.

Now, I don't know whether G.I Joe will be any good, but...at least the Mummy would be fun to watch again.

Lets do that.

BigWords
06-27-2009, 09:22 PM
I get it that you love the film. And it's perfectly fine if others think it's crap.

No, not in the slightest. I apologize if I gave the impression that I may like the film.

There are only forty or so films in the last decade that I would consider "great", and maybe a couple of hundred that I would say were "merely watchable". I'm putting the Transformers 2 DVD (when I get it, because I am a masochist) right alongside the straight-to-DVD Asylum films where it belongs. Maybe nestled up to Sliver, Batman & Robin or Tank Girl.

When I mentioned the CGI (which was pretty much the whole point of big robots in the first place) it was to point out that the film shouldn't have been made. If the tech isn't there to support the story, which wasn't there anyhoo, then the entire enterprise falls apart.

I thought Iron Man was a well-made film, though I still contend that most blockbusters are crap (cf Transformers). Star Trek didn't hold my attention at all, and nothing since The Dark Knight has so much as roused my interest. There are a couple of films which are coming up that look like they might not make me vomit, but I'll have to hold off comment until I see them.

dgiharris
06-27-2009, 09:53 PM
It was incredifuckinghorribleterribadiablemoronicallyraci st.

So glad for your review. I was actually going to waste money on this movie.

As for the argument that summer movies are suppose to be plotless meaningless fluff. I completely disagree. There have been great summer movies. If I remember correctly, T2 opened in the summer didn't it? Independance Day opened in the Summer, Matrix opened in the summer. I could go on.

The way I see it, it is criminal to spend over $100M on a movie then have that movie suck.

Conversely, take the movie Hustle and Flow. That movie cost $2M, and is an absolutely incredible awesome spectacular movie. Why? Well the writer/director gave a shit. He wanted to tell a great story and he did.

Even though i have never been in the movie business, I'm fairly confident that if you gave me a $120M budget (or whatever Transformers cost) I could deliver a decent movie.

Why do I believe I could do this? Well, simple. I'd hire some of the best writers, making sure that the people I hired are used to working together. I'd let them write a script while shielding them as much as possible from the ego train that Maestroworks has identified (too many chefs in the kitchen).

again, I consider it a sin to spend that much money for dogshit. Hell, in that case why not just have Assylum make your movies.

Mel...

maestrowork
06-27-2009, 10:17 PM
I thought Iron Man was a well-made film, though I still contend that most blockbusters are crap (cf Transformers). Star Trek didn't hold my attention at all, and nothing since The Dark Knight has so much as roused my interest. There are a couple of films which are coming up that look like they might not make me vomit, but I'll have to hold off comment until I see them.

Well, whether you personally liked them or not, they are still intelligent, well-made blockbusters. TDK made over $600M domestically. Movies like Terminator Salvation hardly qualified as blockbusters (okay, it is because it's made more than $100M -- a measurement of blockbuster).

There are plenty of blockbusters that are intelligent, with great plots and characters, so I don't think "blockbuster" is an automatic excuse for FAIL. The Hangover is a blockbuster, and it's hilarious. Every Pixar movie was a blockbuster and they are great. Harry Potter is sure to be a blockbuster and they're usually good.

What else are in the pipeline for the summer? Bruno looks to be a hilarious film and I'm dying to see it. District 9 looks interesting, and I'm sure The Time Traveler's Wife is going to do extremely well. And for once, an Adam Sandler movie (Funny People) looks promising.

But sure, you have guilty pleasure (or just dreck) like G.I. Joe, Final Destination, etc. but that's not limited to summer "blockbusters." You have crappy movies all year, along with the good ones.

BigWords
06-27-2009, 10:43 PM
You have crappy movies all year, along with the good ones.

Sturgeon's Law handles most of the dreck. "90% of everything" and all that. I would push up the number to somewhere near 95% though (maybe 99% after watching Wolverine).

I'm classifying Blockbusters as a Hollywood thing. I was astonished at how good Hellboy 2 turned out to be, for instance, though Guillermo del Toro is obviously not "of Hollywood", yet still part of it. For the most part, the directors who don't live in the mouth of madness seem to be more consistent. Even Spielberg's films aren't bulletproof, as the latest Indiana Jones film demonstrated, with some very poor choices in casting and direction.

Not arguing on revenue, but I look to the viewing experience as a whole in assessing if a film is "good". F'rinstance, the Harry Potter adaptations did nothing for me on the whole, yet the income was immense - they caught a few interesting aspects on film, but the books are far better.

maestrowork
06-27-2009, 11:16 PM
Not arguing on revenue, but I look to the viewing experience as a whole in assessing if a film is "good". F'rinstance, the Harry Potter adaptations did nothing for me on the whole, yet the income was immense - they caught a few interesting aspects on film, but the books are far better.

Hmmm, let me get this straight? You base your views on the quality of "blockbusters" by how you like the films?

I mean you dissed TDK, but let's look at the viewing experience as a whole: it had great praise, high audience ratings, repeat viewing, and made over $600M domestically. But you don't see it as a "good film." But you can't argue that it's not a blockbuster that a whole lot of people loved.

So I'm not really sure what your point is. Unless you're saying it's only a good blockbuster if you say so.

As for adaptation, I actually think the first movie was very faithful to the book. Granted, most adaptations deviate from the source material and they rare are better, but that alone doesn't mean the film itself is not good. Different media, different standards. Harry Potter is bona fide blockbuster that is neither dumb, fluffy or irrelevant, as you claimed.

Case in point, I just saw The Shining. It was originally dissed by the public and Stephen King himself. It deviated greatly from the book. But now it's generally considered one of the best horror films in history.

BigWords
06-27-2009, 11:36 PM
The Dark Knight wasn't bad, but it was overlong. I fell asleep the first time I saw it (which rarely happens), and I needed to see it again the next night. It's the perfect example of a good blockbuster, though I doubt I would cite it alongside Transformers (which is what it is, and that ain't much) which is the main thrust of this thread.

---
It doesn't matter if I like a film or not. Ain't my point, which is story should be foremost in any narrative - novel, radio, television, film, comic book or computer game (I am dissing newspapers). Blockbusters seem to exist outside of narrative consistency, and throw everything they have at the screen in an attempt to disguise the fact that logic points and story beats haven't been fine tuned. They don't particularly seem too concerned with fine tuning the finished product either - I've seen amateur films where the boom didn't fall into camera shot, but Hollywood routinely throws Blockbusters out to the public without checking for such things.

Nothing would make me happier than seeing a blockbuster where things made sense. It seems that the folks who want to direct big splashy films have no idea of what a story is (Michael Bay is but one of the many, many directors with narrative trouble).
The Shining isn't my favourite film, though I accept Kubrick's talent was quite impressive. If you want to use films adapted from other forms as an example, I would point you to Azumi 2 as an example of what can be achieved when the right people are involved in the adaptation.

dgiharris
06-28-2009, 03:09 AM
It doesn't matter if I like a film or not. Ain't my point, which is story should be foremost in any narrative - novel, radio, television, film, comic book or computer game (I am dissing newspapers). Blockbusters seem to exist outside of narrative consistency, and throw everything they have at the screen in an attempt to disguise the fact that logic points and story beats haven't been fine tuned. They don't particularly seem too concerned with fine tuning the finished product either - I've seen amateur films where the boom didn't fall into camera shot, but Hollywood routinely throws Blockbusters out to the public without checking for such things.

I don't know why so many seem intent on defending poorly written bad films.

Truth is, if you look at all the SUCCESSFUL summer movies, the majority of them are decent films. Iron Man, Spiderman, Matrix, etc. etc. so I don't understand why those who share your view are so intent on trying to twist history and perception such that it becomes 'o.k.' to make a shit film.

The reason why Transformers will make a shit load of money is becuase you can make anything look good in a trailer, the enormous amount of money they've spent hyping the film, they are trading in all that fanbase currency and childhood memories, and they are essentially using all the good will from Transformers pt1 to con the public.

This is not 'validation' that shitty movies are the way to go. In fact, if Transformers pt 2 was a 'good' film, odds are they'd make double to triple of what they are going to make.

Like they say, you can sheer a sheep many times, but you can only skin it once.

I will not see this film in theaters and I will never watch anything from Michael Bay without a friend telling me it is good first. Michael Bay has lost my trust and nothing short of an Oscar will get it back now.

But Conversely, lets look at Pixar. They can do no wrong. Whenever Pixar makes a movie, they automatically have my $10, no questions asked. Isn't establishing trust and customer satisfaction one of the most important maxim's of ANY business.

Why do we think movies, in particular summer movies, are exempt?

Mel...

maestrowork
06-28-2009, 08:43 AM
OK, I went because I had to review this thing and now I can write a scathing review.

I want to get those two and some hours back. I went with a friend who's very much into action/scifi/robot stuff; he and I almost walked out from the second half. It was so bad. Just mind numbing. Excessive. And BORING. There is absolutely nothing intriguing about anything. I was looking at my watch and telling my friend, "Wake me up when something really interesting happens." Nope, didn't happen.

At least the first film had some great humor and a decent arc. This one is just one fight scene after another, and then more Transformers running around, talking about the end of the world, blah blah blah. And most of the fights are so badly done I had no idea what is fighting what. And if I hear one more of those metallic shop-shop-shop transformation sound I'm going to scream. It's as mind numbing as Vegas slot machines. It was pure agony by the third act. I thought the last 30 minutes of the first movie was bad -- this one really takes the cake. And then it suddenly just ended. The denouement was so anticlimactic and cheesy it makes Bruce Willis cry.

Sure, Megan Fox is hot, but I can just buy a poster of her. Besides, it's a modern miracle that she survived everything with her perfect hair, perfect makeup and perfect short shorts still intact. Even a Bond Girl looks worse after a mortal combat.

Shia LeBeouf couldn't act better than my cat. But we already know that.

Michael Bay shouldn't be allowed to make another movie for another five years. Maybe not ever.

The funniest thing is when we got out, everyone was kind of in a daze (and not the good kind), and then this person said, "That's so much better than the first movie!"

But I'll give him a pass. The kid was only about 9 or 10.

He'll outgrow this lack of sound judgment (or maybe not).

dgiharris
06-28-2009, 11:49 AM
You know what really annoyed me about the first one.

You couldn't quite make out what was happening in the fight sequences which is the whole freaking point of me going to watch Transformers!

But then I had another ephinany/revelation as of late. You ever notice the Laziness of Transformers???

WIth most sci-fi movies, the creators and artists take the time to make sure that everything fits, the scales are right. Take Terminator 2, the scene were the cop if morphing through the steel bars. Notice at the end of the morph the gun got stuck and he had to turn it sideways. Or when he was morphing into a giant puddle on the floor that when he reformed, you could see the reflections of the vending machine behind him. Basically, the creators cared enough to make it as real as possible.

But with Transformers, nothing really fits. These giant robots are able to fold into tiny little cars. O.k. fine, explain it away with some psycho babble, but what is pure laziness is that as the Robots transform, it is obvious to me that if you did a slow motion pan, none of the parts would make sense, that a bunch of metallic 'stuff' would just magically appear from nowhere and vise versa. Almost as if the artists just said, fuck it and instead of going from A to B to C to D... Z they just go from A to M to Z in the animation.

Then top it off with the fight scenes of just mechanic 'stuff' flying all over the place and in the midst of all that, the camera man decides to ZOOM IN to the point where we can't tell good guy from bad guy.

Pure laziness. absolute laziness. IMHO.

Mel...

Zoombie
06-28-2009, 11:55 AM
See, the original Transformers cartoon, at least the robots...ya know...were SOLID SHAPES

Cyia
06-28-2009, 08:22 PM
I think the only ones in the theater I went to who were gushing were in the 9-12 year old set, too.

(They were also the ones who thought GI Joe looked OMGawesomewereallyhavetocomeseethatMom!)

And a personal nitpick -- Michaela rides a motorcycle. Why didn't they just "assign" her Arcee the way Sam was assigned Bumblebee? It would have at least given a chance for some character interaction if there was a human/robot teams established.

maestrowork
06-28-2009, 08:40 PM
Michaela only needs to look sexy in her low-cut tanktop and short shorts. And that's actually the best part of the movie.

Kurtz
06-28-2009, 11:55 PM
http://www.chud.com/articles/articles/19917/1/TRANSFORMERS039-LITTLE-BLACK-SAMBOTS/Page1.html

Tweet The Meat
06-29-2009, 02:04 AM
I am not optimistic about the G.I. Joe movie. Not at all. The preview reminded me of the original Street Fighter movie. I hope I'm proven wrong.

Maybe we'll get a decent Voltron movie. At least then part of my childhood will remain intact.

dgiharris
06-29-2009, 02:11 AM
I am not optimistic about the G.I. Joe movie. Not at all. The preview reminded me of the original Street Fighter movie. I hope I'm proven wrong.

You know, at least I hope GI isn't stupid. If the action has a decent script, I think it will be fun. But if they were lazy and just decided to slap shit together (like TRotF) than I will be pissed

Maybe we'll get a decent Voltron movie. At least then part of my childhood will remain intact.

NOW YOUR TALKING!!!

Voltron was the shit!!!

katiemac
06-29-2009, 02:24 AM
Transformers 2 makes $201 million in five days, behind only The Dark Knight which made $203.

Delhomeboy
06-29-2009, 02:55 AM
Transformers 2 makes $201 million in five days, behind only The Dark Knight which made $203.

I just don't think it will have the same legs.

katiemac
06-29-2009, 03:03 AM
I just don't think it will have the same legs.

Yeah, the reviews aren't good enough and people won't need to see it a second time.

dgiharris
06-29-2009, 04:03 AM
Yeah, the reviews aren't good enough and people won't need to see it a second time.

Unfortunately, movies of this sort are immune to reviews. The trailers just look tooooooo coooool

but yeah, the only second viewings will be by 12 yr olds

Plus, I would think with a movie like this (giant robots smashing stuff) there isn't enough substance to get lost in translation.

Mel...

maestrowork
06-29-2009, 04:23 AM

I certainly won't see it a second time. But then again, I'm not 12. I'm really surprised how much business it did -- it certainly is not in the same league as TDK.

wannawrite
06-29-2009, 07:00 AM
One of the worst pieces of crap I've ever seen.

katiemac
06-29-2009, 09:05 AM
Unfortunately, movies of this sort are immune to reviews. The trailers just look tooooooo coooool

but yeah, the only second viewings will be by 12 yr olds

Plus, I would think with a movie like this (giant robots smashing stuff) there isn't enough substance to get lost in translation.

Mel...

I think movies like Transformers can definitely be immune to opening day reviews, things like that, but the word-of-mouth buzz and audience reviews aren't good -- people aren't going to be running out of the theater trying to convince their friends who don't give a crap to go see it. Dark Knight got a lot of extra audience that way.

But, robo-vowels wins ... I don't think Harry Potter will beat it for the summer unless Transformers takes a huge dive.

Zoombie
06-29-2009, 11:10 AM
Hillarious review: Michal Bay finally makes an Art Film. (http://io9.com/5301898/michael-bay-finally-made-an-art-movie?skyline=true&s=i)

dgiharris
06-29-2009, 11:23 AM
Hillarious review: Michal Bay finally makes an Art Film. (http://io9.com/5301898/michael-bay-finally-made-an-art-movie?skyline=true&s=i)

God, that was the funniest review I have ever read

Zoombie
06-29-2009, 11:28 AM
The website itself is also awesome on so many degrees. Check out their 100 Characters drawn as though they were from the Simpsons.

I like the Battlestar Galactica ones.

Leah_Michelle
06-29-2009, 11:30 AM
Hmm, I seem to be going against everyone here. Personally I love it. I'd go see it again in a heartbeat. I'll buy it when it comes out on DVD. It wasn't the best movie I've seen, but I still fully enjoyed it.

The soundtrack, like the last one, was incredible and if I had a hat, I would tip it to him. There were some things that I didn't like. It had several cheesy lines and moments. It was difficult to catch up with some of the action, but merely because we were sitting in the third row of a packed IMAX, so that was bound to happen. Otherwise, most of what I could see was kickass. Optimus was insanely amazing. Bumblebee was fantastic/adorable. The romance was cute. I enjoy Michael Bay's cinematography, especially how he uses his lighting. I can forgive the billions of explosions going off everywhere. The acting was very good. There were a few parts that gave me chills, just an inkling away from teary (I know, I'm such a girl :tongue)

All in all, it did not feel like two and a half hours to me. It seemed to fly right by. Well worth my $15.

Zoombie
06-29-2009, 11:32 AM
And what about the incredibly racist and fucking annoying as all hell side characters that make you want to tear your own eyes out rather than witness another moment of their inept stupidity?

Leah_Michelle
06-29-2009, 11:40 AM
The racism was over the top and some of the jokes were just childish, but the overall epicness overpowered those for me.

Zoombie
06-29-2009, 11:43 AM
If you cut out every comedic character, pointless side plot, and random meandering plot thread that goes no where, you'd have a movie that lasted all of five seconds.

The thing that really bugs me is this: Sam Whitwhicky is COMPLETELY EXTRANEOUS!

Look at how hard they struggled to get him to fit into the plot...and the plot is still a muddled mess. I mean, why would the Decepticons bother even waiting? They're TRANSFORMERS! Drive up to his dorm while he slept, then shift, grab him, shift back into a car and drive him away.

Then rip his brain open and read the entrails.

They're DECEPTICONS! They shoulden't have a single qualm about killing a human! They're planning to destroy the fucking sun for crying out loud!

God this movie pisses me off!

<explodes>

But I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Leah_Michelle
06-29-2009, 11:53 AM
I don't know, I guess I just don't think about those things. If the acting, cinematography, and plot are good, I like it. I'm not saying that it didn't have a bunch of random other plots, but I understood the general plot well.
It also followed part of the storyline for the original show. A bit.

Also, if you think about it, they didn't know he was that important until after the Decepticon chick discovered what was in his head. By that time, they were fleeing.

Vincent
06-29-2009, 12:24 PM
It also followed part of the storyline for the original show. A bit.

I didn't realise the original cartoon had a storyline. I thought it was just a long toy ad.

Leah_Michelle
06-29-2009, 01:40 PM
I didn't realise the original cartoon had a storyline. I thought it was just a long toy ad.

Well my friend happened to ruin a part for me, thinking that I had either seen it, or watched every episode as a kid. I've seen a good amount, but not many in comparison to all that played.

Spoiler below:

He told me Optimus died in it, which sucked considering that he never told me he came back alive, so I spent almost a week thinking that he was dead. When I told him I hadn't seen it, he told me that it happened in the series so he thought I had known. Then he went on to mention that it followed some episodes well. I wouldn't really think that it would have a storyline either, but he used to watch that show obsessively. I guess he would know better than me

maestrowork
06-29-2009, 06:38 PM
The racism was over the top and some of the jokes were just childish, but the overall epicness overpowered those for me.

Epicness? You can't even see what the heck is going on and what is fighting what and who are the good guys and bad guys. Mostly it's just metals flying around. But if that's epic... okay.

Kurtz
06-29-2009, 07:04 PM

I always said that Michael Bay would one day redefine postmodernist cinema.

maestrowork
06-29-2009, 07:15 PM
Unfortunately, given the financial success of Transformers 2, Mr. Bay will be making a lot more movies in, at least, the next few years. That means more fireballs crashing in to buildings from a low, tilted angle!

Brace yourself.

Tallent
06-29-2009, 07:21 PM
I was forced to go to the movie. Yes ,my kids held me at gun point, forced me to drive them to it and then pay for tickets. It was way, way, way too long. With characters no one, not even my kids, could give a crap about.

Wavy_Blue
06-29-2009, 10:26 PM
I don't know, I guess I just don't think about those things. If the acting, cinematography, and plot are good, I like it.

But the acting, cinematography, and plot were all simply dreadful.

ShowerInspiration
06-29-2009, 10:53 PM
Can we also have a thread on Megan Fox?

/drool....Sorry *slurp*

Leah_Michelle
06-29-2009, 11:33 PM
But the acting, cinematography, and plot were all simply dreadful.
That's your opinion. I thought they were good.
I could site my reasons for liking it again, but it appears that they'll just get torn down.
I'll just stick with I liked it.

dgiharris
06-29-2009, 11:48 PM
I could site my reasons for liking it again, but it appears that they'll just get torn down.

You have every right to like TROTF.

Conversely, there are people that absolutely hated UP. For the life of me, I can't see how anyone could hate that movie, but alas, that is how complicated we humans are. No matter what we create, there will always be people that love it. And there will always be people that hate it. THe only thing that may vary is the distribution.

Mel...

dclary
06-30-2009, 12:22 AM
There were a lot of good things about Transformers 2. Unfortunately, there were a lot of bad things too. It was a flawed movie.

For the critics especially, the things the movie lacked on were much more important than the things it did well.

By then end of the summer it'll be gone. Around Christmas it'll be out on DVD, and get put into regular rotation on the premium cable channels.

Next summer or the one after that it'll get heavy rotation on F/X or Spike or some such.

Then you won't have to worry about it again. This is the way the world works. Accept it. Move on. Harry Potter's 2 weeks away.

maestrowork
06-30-2009, 12:38 AM
Then you won't have to worry about it again. This is the way the world works. Accept it. Move on. Harry Potter's 2 weeks away.

I just don't want it to make $600 million and Michael Bay continues to think he can do no wrong... :tongue

childeroland
06-30-2009, 12:51 AM
I just don't want it to make $600 million and Michael Bay continues to think he can do no wrong... :tongue

Train's probably gonna leave that station soon. (http://superherohype.com/news/transformersnews.php?id=8466)

maestrowork
06-30-2009, 01:09 AM
Comparing ROTF with TDK. That's just funny.

Kurtz
06-30-2009, 01:25 AM
/drool....Sorry *slurp*

Perhaps I am simply jealous but I always think she looks like a dead fish. In her FHM photoshoot she looked like a murder victim, lifeless form and glassy dead eyes. I guess this can be justified in her not being a traditional model.

dclary
06-30-2009, 03:00 AM

I dunno, Ray.
Bay is hit and miss, to be sure, thanks to his love affair with the explosion.

But he's more hit than miss in my opinion.

Bad Boys was ok, but Bad Boys 2 kicked the royal ass out of both SWAT and Miami Vice the summer it came out. --- Edited to say "Just Swat" I guess. For some reason I thought I saw all three of these the same summer, but M.V. was in '06. Still, it is definitely better than Miami Vice anyway.

The Rock is probably one of Nick Cage's best films.

Armageddon and Pearl Harbor have a high amount of cheese, but they're also *very* entertaining, and pull heartstrings admirably in their final acts.

Transformers was a fantastic film.

Ok, so The Island ended up not working. Transformers 2 looks like a mess. But he's directed 8 films, and 6 of them were rocking good times.

I'm willing to give him another $400 mil to try again. 6 out of 8's a better average than any hall of fame baseball player ever hit.

Smileycat
06-30-2009, 03:11 AM
The latest news is that only 20% of reviewers liked the movie. That's a bomb.

Kurtz
06-30-2009, 03:14 AM

Oh wow that's worse than Terminator 4.

dgiharris
06-30-2009, 03:59 AM

But I think Transformers ROTF is critique proof.

The trailers look too cool and the curiosity factor is just too high. Plus, it is a Sci-Fi Action film and IMHO, these types of films MUST been seen on the big screen.

Add all that up and Transformers is a runaway train that has no signs of slowing.

Granted, it will not get the repeat viewings it would have gotten if it were good. But if you add up all the people that will be compelled to see it in the theater, and of course add up the population of 6yr old - 13 yr old boys in the world, and I think it is safe to say it will do well.

Now will it reach $600M? If there is any justice in the universe, the answer will be no. but the universe is not a just place.

Mel...

maestrowork
06-30-2009, 05:37 AM

20% of $200M is still $40M.

Wavy_Blue
06-30-2009, 07:34 AM

Plot and cinematography...meh, okay, those can be intepreted based on personal taste.

But not acting. If acting is bad, it is a FACT. If you have one expression, like Megan Fox, that is a FACT.

Toothpaste
06-30-2009, 07:45 AM
But not acting. If acting is bad, it is a FACT. If you have one expression, like Megan Fox, that is a FACT.

Actually I beg to differ. Film is a director's medium, an editor's medium. Not an actor's medium. An actor can be utterly brilliant but with a poor director or editor cutting the film together he can still look like the worst actor that has ever been (witness Ewan McGregor in Star Wars).

If we were watching a play, that's one thing, THAT is the actor's medium, there is no hiding crappy acting (or brilliant acting for that matter). But it is very difficult to gauge acting on film, especially in a film like this and especially when an actress has been cast as little more than eye candy. I can't say for certain, but it is very possible the reason Ms. Fox only had one expression was because Mr. Bay wanted it that way.

(I've seen Megan Fox in a few sitcoms, and while she always plays the "hot chick" she does have good comic timing which demonstrates a certain talent, and honestly, I think if given the right role she could yet surprise many)

Memnon624
06-30-2009, 07:55 AM
I watched Transformers 2; by the end of it, all I really wanted to do was go out and buy Michael Bay a frickin' atlas . . . he single-handedly invented the Middle Eastern nation of Cairopetraaqabagiza!

dgiharris
06-30-2009, 09:06 AM
You know,

I almost want to see TROTF just to see how bad it is LOL

Maybe that was the secret strategy :)

Mel...

Zoombie
06-30-2009, 10:57 AM
Armageddon and Pearl Harbor have a high amount of cheese, but they're also *very* entertaining, and pull heartstrings admirably in their final acts.

Udgh...mimas...

Peral...

Har...

B...

Armeg...d...

Dc, I'm going to have to kill you. Now. Ish.

Please lay down and wait for the quiet rush of Ninja death.

maestrowork
06-30-2009, 04:35 PM
I seriously am concerned about deek since he mentioned Pearl Harbor and Armageddon as good films. Then again, to each his own. ;)

Toothpaste
06-30-2009, 06:06 PM
Reminds me a little of the lyrics from "Team America World Police":

I miss you more than Michael Bay missed the mark
when he made Pearl Harbor.

I miss you more than that movie missed the point
and that's a lot girl. And now, now you've gone away
and all I'm trying to say is Pearl Harbor sucked
and I miss you.

I need you like Ben Affleck needs acting school.
He was terrible in that film.
I need you like Cuba Gooding needed a bigger part.
He's way better than Ben Affleck, and now
all I can think about is your smile and that shitty movie too, Pearl Harbor sucked and I miss you.

Why does Michael Bay get to keep on making movies?

I guess Pearl Harbor sucked just a little bit more than
I miss you.

Vincent
06-30-2009, 06:08 PM
Reminds me a little of the lyrics from "Team America World Police":

I miss you more than Michael Bay missed the mark
when he made Pearl Harbor.

I miss you more than that movie missed the point
and that's a lot girl. And now, now you've gone away
and all I'm trying to say is Pearl Harbor sucked
and I miss you.

I need you like Ben Affleck needs acting school.
He was terrible in that film.
I need you like Cuba Gooding needed a bigger part.
He's way better than Ben Affleck, and now
all I can think about is your smile and that shitty movie too, Pearl Harbor sucked and I miss you.

Why does Michael Bay get to keep on making movies?

I guess Pearl Harbor sucked just a little bit more than
I miss you.
Spot on about everything 'cept Cuba.

Man, what happened to him?

maestrowork
06-30-2009, 06:18 PM
Spot on about everything 'cept Cuba.

Man, what happened to him?

They're not showing him the money, that's what.

Personally, I think he has the world's worst agent. I mean, from Oscar-winning performance in Jerry MacGuire to Daddy Day Camp? He and his agent sure know how to pick projects. At least Pearl Harbor was a big budget, big Hollywood film with big stars. Also, he's been doing the same schticks for years now. It's not like he can't do drama, so I don't know what his problem is.

dclary
06-30-2009, 07:22 PM
Plot and cinematography...meh, okay, those can be intepreted based on personal taste.

Keanu Reeves has one expression. It's served him well.

dclary
06-30-2009, 07:23 PM
Udgh...mimas...

Peral...

Har...

B...

Armeg...d...

Dc, I'm going to have to kill you. Now. Ish.

Please lay down and wait for the quiet rush of Ninja death.

Whatever, dude. If Pearl or Armageddon are on the TV, I keep it there.

Just get me in a god damned airplane!!!

maestrowork
06-30-2009, 07:28 PM

But put Shia OneExpression with Megan OneExpression in the same movie, and we have a blockbuster!

maestrowork
06-30-2009, 07:29 PM
Whatever, dude. If Pearl or Armageddon are on the TV, I keep it there.

Just get me in a god damned airplane!!!

YouTube junk is more entertaining than those two combined.

dclary
06-30-2009, 07:33 PM
But put Shia OneExpression with Megan OneExpression in the same movie, and we have a blockbuster!

ZOMG... Between this post and your next one, I think I have a youtube comedy gold viral video idea!

I'll have to work on it after I get home from the holidays!!!

^_^

maestrowork
06-30-2009, 08:28 PM
ZOMG... Between this post and your next one, I think I have a youtube comedy gold viral video idea!

I'll have to work on it after I get home from the holidays!!!

^_^

I want a 15% cut. Don't even think about avoiding me; I know where you live.

Cyia
07-01-2009, 04:15 AM
http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/smg-transformers-10-questions.html

:D

Delhomeboy
07-01-2009, 04:41 AM
http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/smg-transformers-10-questions.html

:D

Ah! Beat me to it.

yellosharpie
07-03-2009, 07:26 AM
http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/us-magazine-megan-fox-bay.html

I applaud Megan Fox for sabotaging her own career. Directors will be jumping to work with after she publicly shit on Michael Bay, granted she's right, but she isn't much of an actress. Just look at all her wonderful roles.

childeroland
07-03-2009, 07:45 AM
I wondered about that. Fox has been around enough to know better, honest as she's being. Not to indulge in gossip, but I wonder if there's some behind-the-scenes story fueling the rift. Bay is known (or rumored) for not getting along with some of his actresses, notably Scarlet Johannson on 'The Island.'

Wavy_Blue
07-03-2009, 07:59 AM

Touche!

VinsenMDV
07-03-2009, 08:14 AM
Megan Fox (although hot) was lackluster in this movie. And without Bay, nobody would know her.

yellosharpie
07-03-2009, 08:17 AM
It's alright she can say whatever she wants because her movie 'Jennifer's Body' is going to be a break-out hit. After all, who wouldn't love a good cannibal-cheerleader movie written by ex-stripper Diablo Cody?

Toothpaste
07-03-2009, 08:44 AM
Bay is known (or rumored) for not getting along with some of his actresses, notably Scarlet Johannson on 'The Island.'

He doesn't get on that well with the gents either. Ewan McGregor has said he will never work with him again.

But seriously, does anyone doubt what she says is true? Bay's films aren't exactly known for their subtle quality acting. Honestly, I'm still a fan of the Fox, even more so for her just speaking the truth. What's even odder is how Bay goes off listing all the actors he thrust into stardom. Fox never denied that he did that for her too, but these actors become famous through his films because for some crazy reason lots of people go see them. And people go see them for the action. So you've got millions of people seeing these films for the action who happen to also notice the actors too, not because he pays any special attention to acting or the needs of actors (and give me a break about Ben Affleck, he got noticed when, you know, he won an Oscar).

If Bay thinks his films have anything to do with acting, he's delusional. I have way more respect for someone like Fox who admits she wouldn't be getting any work in Hollywood if she wasn't hot, as opposed to this guy who dismisses her totally valid point by calling her a child. Dude, Bay, own it. You are not an actor's director. You direct special effects. That's okay, you're doing just fine, but don't pretend to be someone you're not.

I applaud Megan Fox for sabotaging her own career. Directors will be jumping to work with after she publicly shit on Michael Bay, granted she's right, but she isn't much of an actress. Just look at all her wonderful roles.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. Because if I was a director and read what Fox said, I'd totally be more inclined to cast her in something, not less. It demonstrates her ability to understand a hack director when she works for one, which means she would probably really appreciate a good director. And has anyone else aside from me seen her sitcom work? Granted it's just a slight comedy, but she isn't wholly without talent.

ETA:

. . . written by ex-stripper Diablo Cody?

I'd rather define her as Oscar Award winning, but whatever label works for you . . .

yellosharpie
07-03-2009, 06:33 PM
He doesn't get on that well with the gents either. Ewan McGregor has said he will never work with him again.

But seriously, does anyone doubt what she says is true? Bay's films aren't exactly known for their subtle quality acting. Honestly, I'm still a fan of the Fox, even more so for her just speaking the truth. What's even odder is how Bay goes off listing all the actors he thrust into stardom. Fox never denied that he did that for her too, but these actors become famous through his films because for some crazy reason lots of people go see them. And people go see them for the action. So you've got millions of people seeing these films for the action who happen to also notice the actors too, not because he pays any special attention to acting or the needs of actors (and give me a break about Ben Affleck, he got noticed when, you know, he won an Oscar).

If Bay thinks his films have anything to do with acting, he's delusional. I have way more respect for someone like Fox who admits she wouldn't be getting any work in Hollywood if she wasn't hot, as opposed to this guy who dismisses her totally valid point by calling her a child. Dude, Bay, own it. You are not an actor's director. You direct special effects. That's okay, you're doing just fine, but don't pretend to be someone you're not.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. Because if I was a director and read what Fox said, I'd totally be more inclined to cast her in something, not less. It demonstrates her ability to understand a hack director when she works for one, which means she would probably really appreciate a good director. And has anyone else aside from me seen her sitcom work? Granted it's just a slight comedy, but she isn't wholly without talent.

ETA:

I'd rather define her as Oscar Award winning, but whatever label works for you . . .

Diablo Cody may be an Oscar Award winner, but Juno was not something I liked. Some people liked it, most people I know hated it. I'm with the latter for many reasons which I will not go into here.

Fox is definitely free to state her mind, but after hearing her bash people she's worked with most directors are not going to be thrilled to work with her knowing that she could possibly start going around and running her mouth off about them. Some movies are bad but people will see them, it's the entertainment factor. Actors know this, they go into the film knowing that people will see and critics will hate it. She obviously had disilusions of grandeur if she thought any different, and to speak up now after she chose to do both movies, ludicrous.

Hollywood is about discretion, obviously everyone knows Transformers wasn't about acting. To me, it sounded as though she wanted to bash it along with everyone else because she was embarrassed. Honestly, if she wanted to be taken seriously as an actress, she needs to start taking herself seriously. She chose to do this movie, no one made her. It was bad, it happens. People do bad movies. No one hears any other Hollywood actor using every opportunity to bad mouth the every crap movie they ever did. Maybe she should be more discriminating about the roles she accepts.

maestrowork
07-03-2009, 08:19 PM

It's funny Bay mentioned Cage, Smith and Affleck... he forgot actually all of them were already stars when he cast them in his movies. Smith's big break was Independence Day (directed but Roman Emmerich) and MIB (by Barry Sonnenfeld) , not Bad Boys. Cage already won an Oscar, and his big "action hero" break was Con Air, again not directed by Michael Bay. Both Ewan McGregor and Scarlet Johannson were huge stars before the Island -- which flopped, by the way (and I can tell you exactly why the Island flopped -- it was actually a decent sci-fi at the beginning, until Michael Bay ruined it with more and more and bigger and bigger explosions in the second half).

Transformers succeeded in spite of Michael Bay, not because of. It has a huge fan base, cool factor (alien robots!), and the humor (at least in the first one) sustained the flaws of over-production and excess. Any other action directors could have done this, maybe even better. I mean, can you imagine Christopher Nolan doing Transformers and how much better it could be?

Bay has an ego the size of his .... and he's really full of shit. I applaud Megan Fox for burning that bridge to expose the fraud. Seriously, do people go to Michael Bay movies for the acting?

Kurtz
07-03-2009, 08:39 PM

AHAHAHAHA He claims he's responsible for Will Smith's success. My god this guy is awful.

Toothpaste
07-03-2009, 10:59 PM
Diablo Cody may be an Oscar Award winner, but Juno was not something I liked. Some people liked it, most people I know hated it. I'm with the latter for many reasons which I will not go into here.

Fox is definitely free to state her mind, but after hearing her bash people she's worked with most directors are not going to be thrilled to work with her knowing that she could possibly start going around and running her mouth off about them. Some movies are bad but people will see them, it's the entertainment factor. Actors know this, they go into the film knowing that people will see and critics will hate it. She obviously had disilusions of grandeur if she thought any different, and to speak up now after she chose to do both movies, ludicrous.

Hollywood is about discretion, obviously everyone knows Transformers wasn't about acting. To me, it sounded as though she wanted to bash it along with everyone else because she was embarrassed. Honestly, if she wanted to be taken seriously as an actress, she needs to start taking herself seriously. She chose to do this movie, no one made her. It was bad, it happens. People do bad movies. No one hears any other Hollywood actor using every opportunity to bad mouth the every crap movie they ever did. Maybe she should be more discriminating about the roles she accepts.

I agree with you about Juno actually, but you referring to Ms Cody an ex-stripper, which yes she is, but has nothing to do with her writing abilities, is you trying to make a point about that particular fact, and in a not too positive way given the context of that particular line. I didn't really appreciate the diss of a very successful woman, even if I might not have loved her movie.

As to the rest of your points I so utterly disagree, I'm not sure there is much need for me to explain why. Still . . .

Megan Fox doesn't just bash everyone, she is bashing a director that most people in Hollywood (aside from money hungry producers) which includes fellow directors, screenwriters, other actors, think is a hack. She even stated in her quote that she was grateful for him making her a star, but let's not kid ourselves, his movies aren't about acting. That's it, that's all. It was Bay who went off on a slightly immature rant about how untrue that point was. It was Bay who went off claiming the success of a bunch of actors which is so not the case (as Maestro illustrated).

Honestly, I don't think you get Hollywood at all. Maybe she might never work with Bay again, but trust me, there's a line up around the block of people wanting to work with her. Plus most directors would agree with Fox's opinions and be happy to work with her without a fear of her dissing them because they don't see themselves as the hack that he so obviously is. The thing is, if she'd spoke untruths, if she sounded bitter that would be one thing, but she said something that everyone else in Hollywood very openly says as well, and nonetheless STILL thanked him and acknowledged the huge role he had in making her who she is today.

Trust me, Megan Fox has not burned any bridges. If anything, she's built some.

childeroland
07-03-2009, 11:31 PM
Funny article from Topless Robot decrying the film's problems.

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2009/06/bonus_robs_transformers_2_faqs.php?page=1

It dawned on me at about 4am last night when I was finishing my review that 2500 words might not be enough to fully describe the Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen experience. Additionally, I really didn't get much into the plot, as I was so busy explaining why it was a fundamentally shitty movie. So I took a little time to interview myself about the movie's story in order to help you understand what RotF is all about. Hope it helps!

Are there honestly 46 new Transformers in the movie?
I have no fucking clue. It's impossible to tell most of them apart except for Optimus and the Racist Twins (there's another yellow Autobot who I constantly thought was Bumblebee). There could be 46, or there could be 12. I honestly would believe 12 if someone had said that.

What is the status of the Transformers at the beginning of the film?
The Autobots have joined the military to hunt down the Decepticons. We're told the Decepticons are "doing things," but they appear to be hiding peacefully when the Autobots show up and brutally murder them.

What?
Yeah. The Decepticons aren't apparently doing anything, then the Autobots show up, the Decepticons run for their goddamn lives, and the Autobots hunt them down and brutally murder them. It's kind of weird.

yellosharpie
07-04-2009, 01:20 AM
AHAHAHAHA He claims he's responsible for Will Smith's success. My god this guy is awful.

Indeed he is. Most of those people were well known before Michael Bay.

As for the the Fox and Cody discussions, I dislike both of them, (not because one of them was a stripper)and acknowledge them both as successful for reasons that have little to do with talent.

To each his own.

I do understand the entertainment biz in general. I've worked as an actress and talent scout for small agencies in RI and better ones in MA, have interned with a friend at a big tv network (no names included on purpose), and have worked in the modeling, runway, and make-up artistry biz. Just what I've done. All of which lead me to reason that people most certainly do remember the manners of others in their profession due to many discussions I've heard while on set.

That is all.

maestrowork
07-04-2009, 05:40 AM
And none of those actors worked with Michael Bay again. I wonder why.

Remind me of a once hot-shot director, Jan de Bont. Mr. Bont became really famous for directing the little film Speed, making both Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock international superstars (a credit he could rightfully claim). He went on to direct Twister, Speed 2, and Lara Croft. However, his ego got so huge and his costars and crew (a friend of mine worked on Speed 2 -- he said everyone hated him on the set. Everyone) hated him so much that nobody in Hollywood wanted to work with him again. His last movie was Lara Croft in 2003. Hasn't worked at all since then.

James Cameron followed similar path. His ego got so big after Titanic that he was regarded as too difficult to work with. Nobody in Hollywood wanted to touch him (most his projects since then was funded by himself), and that was after Titanic made so much money and won all those Oscars. Only recently did Cameron resurface, with his latest movie Avatar coming out soon.

If Michael Bay keeps it up, he may find himself in the same position.

Exir
07-04-2009, 06:34 AM
If Michael Bay keeps it up, he may find himself in the same position.

James Cameron and Jan de Bont actually had skill.

Toothpaste
07-04-2009, 07:22 AM
All of which lead me to reason that people most certainly do remember the manners of others in their profession due to many discussions I've heard while on set.

That is all.

Yes. But you are coming from a premise that Fox behaved in a negative manner, when my premise is that I believe in no way will she be looked down on for what she said. Yes she will probably never work with Bay again, so what, she doesn't need to, she's used the hack and can now move on. But what she said about Bay is certain to endear her to the rest of the Hollywood community who utterly and completely agree with her.

Yes discretion is important in Hollywood, yes so is watching what you say, yes you can say one thing that will ruin your career. Megan Fox, though, hasn't.

We of course will see over time who between the two of us is right, but quite honestly, considering everything (Bay being a hack, her choice of films to date, and the ones coming up, plus her sweeping popularity that includes people adoring her for speaking her mind), I think I am.

Zoombie
07-04-2009, 12:26 PM
Dear god...

Do you know how bad this movie was?

Well, here's how bad it was.

The first movie I watched since seeing Transformer's 2 was The Rocketeer, an amazing bit of Disney old school action adventure. Basic idea is a guy finds a rocket pack that Howard Hughes built, but Nazis want it so they can take over the world in the single most awesome evil "take over the world plan" EVER (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMQwT9z0Jyc).

but the thing was...it felt GOOD to see a movie that set up plot points EARLY ON and then FOLLOWED UP on them!

And the plot made sense!

And there was acting!

And the special effects weren't huge, jumbled messes.

And the sound track had more variations than "Loud" and "Louder".

And the comedy was actually FUNNY!

And there was a refreshing lack of racism!

And...and the action was actually GOOD and EXCITING!

And...and I didn't want the main character to die horribly.

It was seriously amazing just how GOOD this movie appeared viewed next to Michal Bay's cinematic garbage. I know I keep beating this drum, but I'm just trying to convey just how HORRIBLE Trans2 was.

Watching a quality film actually felt like DETOXING, as though some kind of vile and malignent entity was being drawn soothingly from my back through the gentle touch of an Asian ladyboy.

Its BAD when a film leaves a poisonous residue in someone's mind.

I would continue in a semi-coherent fashion, but anything I say will just be repeating the same litany over and over again, so let me just made a low gargling noise at the back of my throat.

Ganarrrnrrnngagaggggggggghgggnaghgggggggggggghnggg gggggggggggghgggggggggggngnggggggggggggggggghhhhhh hhhgnggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhaggghggnghggggggggg ggggggggggggggggggg

maestrowork
07-04-2009, 08:54 PM
The reality is, if the world could get rid of and not miss the likes of James Cameron or Jan de Bont, they should can do with out Michael Bay. Transformers 2 is just bad. It succeeds despite Bay, not because of, because of its built-in fan base and the hordes of kids and teenagers wanting to see a 2 hour+ toy commercial. They don't care about plot, characters, etc. But I do. And if Bay's ego gets any bigger, good luck to him. Eventually he will burn enough bridges.

Kurtz
07-04-2009, 09:21 PM
The first movie I watched since seeing Transformer's 2 was The Rocketeer, an amazing bit of Disney old school action adventure. Basic idea is a guy finds a rocket pack that Howard Hughes built, but Nazis want it so they can take over the world in the single most awesome evil "take over the world plan" EVER (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMQwT9z0Jyc).

The Shawshank Redemption, alternative ending (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoUJh9L9r9U). I like it much more.

Zoombie
07-05-2009, 04:29 AM
Jetpack Nazis are unbeatable. Its a proven fact!

Also, I miss James Cameron...

VinsenMDV
07-05-2009, 09:54 AM
Cage already won an Oscar, and his big "action hero" break was Con Air, again not directed by Michael Bay

Cage's big action hero break was The Rock, directed by Michael Bay, which came out a year before Con Air.

Transformers succeeded in spite of Michael Bay, not because of. It has a huge fan base, cool factor (alien robots!), and the humor (at least in the first one) sustained the flaws of over-production and excess. Any other action directors could have done this, maybe even better. I mean, can you imagine Christopher Nolan doing Transformers and how much better it could be?

Christopher Nolan is a good director for characters, but I don't think he could handle the action that big alien robots require. The Dark Knight, although well made, did not have many big action moments.

Exir
07-05-2009, 11:36 AM
The Dark Knight, although well made, did not have many big action moments.

Gotham Hospital blowing up? The Batpod TRIPPING up single-handedly an EIGHTEEN WHEELER? Joker pulling a bazooka in a car chase? Joker crashing into a mob bank with a SCHOOLBUS? Batman seizing Lao by crashing into a building, gliding on his bat cape? And don't get me started on the rescue of all the hostages while simultaneously battling the Joker AND the mislead SWAT team -- I can babble excitedly all day.

And -- what a miracle -- fight scenes where we know who is fighting whom! Amazing! We actually know who to root for!

Michael Bay didn't handle any action scenes -- he just shot extreme closeups of robots having a seizure, control+C control+V times 100 (cause they all look exactly the same), splice the 100 footages together, and call that an action scene.

But that's just me. Some of my friends said it was okay. Your mileage may vary.

Kurtz
07-05-2009, 02:12 PM
Christopher Nolan is a good director for characters, but I don't think he could handle the action that big alien robots require. The Dark Knight, although well made, did not have many big action moments.

It had plenty of set pieces that were just large enough to be believeable with the characters involved. Yeah there's not many buildings blowing up, because Batman isn't a robot from the future or whatever. Nolan absolutely trashes Bay in any directorial comparison.

meadows
07-05-2009, 02:51 PM
There's one word that describes the movie and that is 'CRAP'.

Enough said.

meadows

VinsenMDV
07-05-2009, 03:02 PM
Gotham Hospital blowing up? The Batpod TRIPPING up single-handedly an EIGHTEEN WHEELER? Joker pulling a bazooka in a car chase? Joker crashing into a mob bank with a SCHOOLBUS? Batman seizing Lao by crashing into a building, gliding on his bat cape? And don't get me started on the rescue of all the hostages while simultaneously battling the Joker AND the mislead SWAT team -- I can babble excitedly all day.

And -- what a miracle -- fight scenes where we know who is fighting whom! Amazing! We actually know who to root for!

Michael Bay didn't handle any action scenes -- he just shot extreme closeups of robots having a seizure, control+C control+V times 100 (cause they all look exactly the same), splice the 100 footages together, and call that an action scene.

But that's just me. Some of my friends said it was okay. Your mileage may vary.

The Dark Knight's action sequences were good, but that doesn't mean Nolan could handle the huge scenes that Transformers would require. It's also a fine movie for sure, but I thought it spent too much time talking and philosophizing.

I agree with those Bay sentiments. This movie had the same problem the first one did in that the robots don't look varied enough during battles (which he could solve if he tweaked the designs to have more large solid color plates). There's only 1 scene in TF2 that stages the robots fighting the right way and that's when they're fighting in the forest and the camera is zoomed out enough to show the full scale of the robots. That also happens to be my favorite scene.

VinsenMDV
07-05-2009, 03:08 PM
It had plenty of set pieces that were just large enough to be believeable with the characters involved. Yeah there's not many buildings blowing up, because Batman isn't a robot from the future or whatever. Nolan absolutely trashes Bay in any directorial comparison.

There's one word that describes the movie and that is 'CRAP'.

Enough said.

meadows

"Crap" that almost beat out TDK's 5-day B.O. record ;) No one ever said TF2 was a masterpiece, but it entertained.

Kurtz
07-05-2009, 04:15 PM
"Crap" that almost beat out TDK's 5-day B.O. record ;) No one ever said TF2 was a masterpiece, but it entertained.

Yeah but it's not going to come close to making the same amount of money overall

maestrowork
07-05-2009, 08:15 PM
Again, T:ROTF succeeded despite Michael Bay. Any number of directors could have done giant fighting robot aliens better. The material is fail proof (at least critic proof for opening weekends). But it doesn't mean it's automatically a good movie. As for entertaining, it's a matter of opinion. I find it extremely boring, repetitively, and mindless. After an hour, I wanted it end so bad so I could go home and watch something that actually had a plot.

The Rock -- I'll have to admit that movie was slick and cool, and probably one of Bay's better movies. And then he just became a parody of himself.

shawkins
07-07-2009, 12:42 AM
Outlaw Vern reviewed (http://outlawvern.com/2009/06/30/transformers-revenge-of-the-fallen/#more-5389) T:ROTF. Funniest thing I've read this week. Couple highlights:

Itll take more than Michael Bay to kill the summer movie. But give him an A for effort, hes running after the summer movie naked with a chainsaw like Patrick Bateman.

and

[This movie includes] a scene where Turturro tells a robot that a story hes telling should have a clear beginning, middle and end, a plot, - as if one of the screenwriters is trying to send out an S.O.S.

Forbidden Snowflake
07-07-2009, 04:47 AM
I loved it. I've already watched it three times. It promises fun and it delivered fun.

mamaesme
07-07-2009, 08:39 PM
The thing I find so, well, disturbing about TF2 (besides the Star Wars-esqe title) is that the same people who wrote Star Trek wrote TF2.

I liked ST's plot, because it made sense to fans and nonfans, but TF2? Not so much. For example of the horrible-ness, my brother turned to me in one point of the movie and said, "When did Jazz get revived?" He thought Sideswipe was Jazz, for a good hour and a half.

Bay said somewhere that he wants to take a year off from the TF franchise, even though it's been said that TF3 is coming out in two years. New director anyone? [insert happy dance HERE]

katiemac
07-07-2009, 08:57 PM
The thing I find so, well, disturbing about TF2 (besides the Star Wars-esqe title) is that the same people who wrote Star Trek wrote TF2.

Transformers doesn't have all the producers from Star Trek, who were very involved in the script since before Abrams was attached to direct. Even though they share some of the same writers, Transformers is missing people like Damon Lindelof.

Toothpaste
07-07-2009, 09:21 PM
Film is also a far more collaborative effort, than say, novel writing. Director, producers, writers, actors, all of them often are contributing to the script development.

For example Bay said that the lines that the two Transformers some are calling racist were all improvised by the actors themselves.

clockwork
07-07-2009, 09:34 PM
Transformers doesn't have all the producers from Star Trek, who were very involved in the script since before Abrams was attached to direct. Even though they share some of the same writers, Transformers is missing people like Damon Lindelof.

Another key difference is that Orci, Kuzrman and Kruger produced a 20 page treatment for TF2 just before the writers' strike. When they returned, Bay (and ILM) had swelled that into a 60 page scriptment which the writers then had to develop into some kind of final draft. Shame really, if you've ever heard Kurzman & Orci talk, they're fanatical about character and story but I guess that's not an easy corner to fight when you've got 2 hours of 60 foot robots to crowbar in somewhere. :)

Zoombie
07-07-2009, 09:43 PM
Hehehehe.

Transmorphers 2: Fall of Man. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYSVNzJAYaM)

I love direct to video releases.

Kurtz
07-07-2009, 10:17 PM
There was a good article in the Grauniad today highlighting how much help from the military Bay receieves in his movies, and consequently how much positive spin the army gets. It's a little worrying that that's being fed down childrens throats.

EDIT- Zoombie there is a typo in your location feed I think

Zoombie
07-07-2009, 10:19 PM
I noticed that in the first movie and almost got choked by it in the second.

Hey, I'm all for respecting our military. They deserve our respect.

They don't deserve worship...

dgiharris
07-08-2009, 10:19 AM
So my cousin begged me to take him to see Transformers 2.

I took him.

<sigh>

It really helps to have low expectations for a film. He being 12 absolutely loved the film. Me being in my 30s, not so much. If I were grading it, taking into account the demographic they're appealing to (teenage boys) and also giving a little leeway for 'summer action flick' I would have to give it a C-.

Mel...

Zoombie
07-08-2009, 01:04 PM
I'd give it an F minus minus.

And then I'd chop off Michal Bay's fingers.

...cause I'm a jerk.

Toothpaste
07-08-2009, 07:26 PM
also giving a little leeway for 'summer action flick'

This is something we discussed on this week's podcast for the website I work for. Audiences have grown to accept the idea of the mindless summer action flick, as if somehow it is a universal truth. The irony however is that the first big summer blockbuster, Jaws, was anything from mindless. It is an incredibly smart and well constructed movie. Over time though, we as audiences have grown to accept incredibly poor quality films because, "Well it's the summer, what do you expect?"

It's odd that we will allow for crap just because we have been trained to accept that that's what happens in the summer. Another coup for Hollywood and the money making machine I suppose.

Exir
07-08-2009, 08:15 PM
This is something we discussed on this week's podcast for the website I work for. Audiences have grown to accept the idea of the mindless summer action flick, as if somehow it is a universal truth. The irony however is that the first big summer blockbuster, Jaws, was anything from mindless. It is an incredibly smart and well constructed movie. Over time though, we as audiences have grown to accept incredibly poor quality films because, "Well it's the summer, what do you expect?"

It's odd that we will allow for crap just because we have been trained to accept that that's what happens in the summer. Another coup for Hollywood and the money making machine I suppose.

You're right, in a way. I still think, though, after seeing The Dark Knight become one of the most successful box office film of all times, that audiences can still tell mindful, well made stuff from mindless crap. They might not articulate it, but I still believe that audiences are mostly intelligent. We may not be giving them enough credit. A movie like Transformers does reasonably well due to the marketing, but it doesn't get the extra thrust that films like The Dark Knight get -- that of word of mouth and repeat viewings.

Also, just because a film does well at the box office does NOT mean that the audience liked it or found it enjoyable. I mean, face it. Didn't you go and buy a ticket just to see how bad it is? Own up ;) :D Congrats. You just contributed to the box office figure.

dgiharris
07-08-2009, 08:24 PM
I noticed that in the first movie and almost got choked by it in the second.

Hey, I'm all for respecting our military. They deserve our respect.

They don't deserve worship...

I hardly thought that TRotF worshipped the military. Sure, the movie got quite a few tactical and strategic things wrong about the military, but in terms of the professionalism and 'spirit' they showed, that wasn't too far off.

The military is incredibly professional. Especially in the field and combat scenarios. In fact, it would completely blow your mind. Whenever civilian's witness military courtesy and professionalism, they think they've entered another world.

Yeah. I firmly believe that summer movies should still be good and that it is a crock of shit to use it as an excuse. However, there is some paradox here, because even though I feel that way, I still give a 'little' allowance for the summer movie. And then, when ranking a summer movie that 'excuse' subconsciously worms its way into my review.

The funniest thing about walking out of the movie was that everyone under 15 was pretty much like, "Wow that was AWESOME!!!! We gotta see that again."

Mel...

Toothpaste
07-08-2009, 08:41 PM
Didn't you go and buy a ticket just to see how bad it is? Own up ;) :D Congrats. You just contributed to the box office figure.

Actually I wouldn't have gone to see it if I hadn't been given a press pass. So I can feel smugly superior that I in no way contributed to its ridiculous box office tally :) .

Exir
07-09-2009, 05:10 AM
The funniest thing about walking out of the movie was that everyone under 15 was pretty much like, "Wow that was AWESOME!!!! We gotta see that again."

That's a stage they'll never not go through. They're kids with hormones after all.... I cringe at some movies I enjoyed when I was much younger.

maestrowork
07-10-2009, 12:17 AM
Best non-review review I've read on T2ROTF:

From CiNWeekly/Metromix:

You know that sugar-infused 6-year-old with ADD who lives down the street from you? Watching this movie is the closest you'll ever get to being in his head.

dgiharris
07-10-2009, 12:46 PM
You know the thing that annoyed me about the movie,

pretty much all the staged scenes with Megan Fox. Felt like those scenes were directed by a porn director.

"O.k. Arch the back, arch, arch, now, tilt to the side so we can see the chest, yeah, just like that, now pout just like so. Alright.... ACTION"

Then there is the whole cooing to the little decepticon that just annoyed me to no end.

Then the whole alien pretending to be human decepticon which I felt crossed the line (that was never in the cartoon) into Terminator territory.

Then there is the lost opportunity. I felt that since this would be a global movie, they would have made a point of making the military more international. Felt they missed an opportunity there.

They showed a few Brits, but that was about it.

Anyways, I saw more previews for G.I. Joe. Honestly, I don't think it will be that bad. I think it will be about a C+. Maybe even a B- if I keep my expectations low enough :)

Mel...

Zoombie
07-10-2009, 12:56 PM
Communist China was remarkably A-Okay with sending in AMERICAN troops to fight their own battles for them...

Also, you give porn directors FAR too little credit...at least they know what their audience wants. Michal Bay gives his audience 2 hour 30 minuets of horrible comedic characters, piss poor writing, and boring action.