Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen...the "Fanboy" thread

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
So as not to further derail the never-ending Star Trek thread, I offer this, the ultimate Transformers fanboy thread.

Now, the way I see it, Transformers is gonna clean up this Summer and be number one at the box office. I have very few doubts about this.

It will hit the theaters with no blockbuster-type competition, all the way through July 4th week-end, with the exception of Public Enemies (which won't draw the same crowd). Hell, it should rule until Harry Potter hits.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I'm putting on my Dumbledore hat and Spock ears and crying "heretic!!!"

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm putting on my Dumbledore hat and Spock ears and crying "heretic!!!"
Yeah, that's the funny thing to me. Looking around teh internetz, I see all these peeps agreeing that it will be number one, but also being pissed about it.

What's wrong with high-gloss escapism, anyway? At least no one is sparkling...

MissKris

Is the random.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristindmiller.com
After the first one (which I was totally "whatever" about before I saw it and totally "yeeeeaaaaahhhhhh!" about after I saw it) I am pumped for the second Transformers movie. Bring it!

And nope, I don't see any competition. Not really.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah,

I'm not counting on super strong writing, just a mindless action summer flick. Since this is the type of movie you really want to see on the big screen, they will probably get my $10. I'll wait till some friends see it first just to confirm its not complete dogshit.

But yeah, this will be a hit. "But" I think ST is going to do better :)

THe main thing about being king of the summer isn't just the opening weekend, but repeat viewing. ONly way they will get repeat viewings is if it kicks ass.

If it is just merely 'o.k.' I don't think it will get there.

Mel...

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Y'all really think this is going to beat Harry Potter 6?

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Y'all really think this is going to beat Harry Potter 6?
As I noted in the Star Trek thread, the first Transformers outgrossed each and every one of the Harry Potter films in the U.S. And that's what I'm talking about, here. Sorry, should have been clearer.

Worldwide? I'm not sure.

Leah_Michelle

Fangirling
Registered
Reaction score
Trapped in my own mind. It's scary in here!
Website
leahclement.blogspot.com
I think ST will probably be a better movie, but I'm incredibly excited about Transformers.

I will also be the crazy chick in the back of the theater cheering =]

No. Crazy is at the Prince Caspian midnight showing with a chubby little 8th grader getting overexcited when movie posters were handed out for a dollar. He jumped up from his seat, thrust a dollar into the air, and screamed from the top of his lungs, "I HAVE A DOLLAR!!!" Then he proceeded to bolt down the stairs to retrieve said poster...

I'm uber excited for this movie though. I hope my theater does a pre-screening. *ponders*

AmandaAcidic

Good morning beautiful!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
amandalynb.blogspot.com
No. Crazy is at the Prince Caspian midnight showing with a chubby little 8th grader getting overexcited when movie posters were handed out for a dollar. He jumped up from his seat, thrust a dollar into the air, and screamed from the top of his lungs, "I HAVE A DOLLAR!!!" Then he proceeded to bolt down the stairs to retrieve said poster...

I'm uber excited for this movie though. I hope my theater does a pre-screening. *ponders*

Oh that's cute! I wish I could have seen that.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
You can't beat a few giant robots. I doubt I'll be as fired-up afterwards as Star Trek, but Transformers isn't really about the continuing storyline or worldbuilding. It's about giant robots smashing stuff and explosions.

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
But it is nice to see them give new takes on old favorite characters like Soundwave and Ravage, and to look forward to even more characters like the Triple-Changers and Dinobots. Jeez, I'm 10 years-old again.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
You can't beat a few giant robots. I doubt I'll be as fired-up afterwards as Star Trek, but Transformers isn't really about the continuing storyline or worldbuilding. It's about giant robots smashing stuff and explosions.

Coinkindinkily, so is Terminator these days!

Leah_Michelle

Fangirling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
leahclement.blogspot.com
It's about giant robots smashing stuff and explosions.

Michael Bay's movies:
Explosion to start things off, dialogue, more sets of explosions, more dialogue, something else explodes, love scene, explosions, end.

That is every movie he has ever done, and sadly I can't get enough.

Leah_Michelle

Fangirling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
leahclement.blogspot.com

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Last edited:

Wavy_Blue

Adventure is out there!
Registered
Reaction score
I am quite excited to see this one. It won't be hard for the story to beat that of the first film ("In the beginning, there was the cube..." WTF?) Regardless of story merits, robots transforming is pretty flipping awesome.

But it won't beat Harry. Even if the first Transformers outgrossed all other Harry films, Potterphiles have been pissing themselves for six months to see this one. If it isn't the highest grossing film of 2009, its definitely going to have the biggest weekend opener of the year (maybe all time). I just think that since there has been so much build up and tension since the release date was pushed back there will be more fire behind this film.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Who's the boss?

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20090608-711047.html

Harry Potter's gettin' shoved back on the IMAX schedule, in favor of Transformers having a longer run.

Why is that, do you ask?

Apparently, Japanese reviewers (it just premiered in Japan) are saying it's better than the first...

ETA: For Opty: http://www.imagebam.com/image/205b6038417075

Harry Potter's late IMAX release is just going to boost its numbers. Everyone who wants to see it as soon as it's released won't have a choice between a regular viewing and an IMAX. Then the IMAX hits, and those who want those 12 minutes of 3D will flock to it again ... :)

Actually, I don't think the Potter push has anything to do with Transformers extending the run. Didn't they always sign on for a month release? And then Harry Potter went and moved its release date, so it conflicted with Transformers schedule.

It will be interesting to see which movie wins summer blockbuster. I'm completely out of touch with the Transformers buzz so, like I said before, I tend to forget about it.

Leah_Michelle

Fangirling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
leahclement.blogspot.com

:eek: Words cannot express the envy I have...and I really want that dress.

Honestly though, I would think that HP would will out over Transformers, but Transformers seems to generate more people of all ages: kids, teens, adults...everyone.
HP has always been more kid-oriented merely because it was written for children.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My eldest is counting the days. Me, too. We are transformer geeks. What do we call ourselves? Trannies? Anybody?

Re: Trannies. Uh, that's taken, I'm afraid. But you can have it.

Yeah, this is the only other movie I'll see in the theater (saw ST twice) this summer.