Carole's "Help me survive my in-laws' visit" thread

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, so the in-laws are in town. It's been nearly two years since they visited. It's a happy time, but as anyone who has in-laws knows even the best in-laws can drive you nuts.

My father in law is as jolly as can be. And every other word out of his mouth is the GD curse. That one goes through me like a knife. At least once per day, I hold myself back from saying something like, "Really, I don't think God will actually damn the doorknob (or whatever else he is referring to)." He says it like punctuation. Like he doesn't even realize he is saying it. Other than that, Pops is a great fellow. He's great fun to have around, and he and hubby are working like mad on this house doing things that are a bit too hefty for me to help out with.

My mother in law, bless her heart, is always fairly quiet and borderline sad all the time. Even when she is happy, I swear she is blue. To say that she is fragile would be an understatement. Today, they had to leave for their motel early because there was a bumblebee outside and she was afraid that it would get into the house. I swear. I cooked a big dinner night before last, and I was left with a mountain of dishes while everyone retreated to the living room. This morning, she said that she was sorry for not helping in the kitchen the night before, but Dawn dish detergent irritates her hands. (I was thinking that picking up a dish towel to dry them and put them away wouldn't have hurt, but I kept my mouth shut.)

She makes a sandwich in the kitchen and leaves with crumbs everywhere for me to clean up and then tells me that black granite counters are bad because they are hard to clean. I was outside painting the front porch yesterday, and there was one slat of siding that I hadn't painted yet. So she said, "Are you going to leave that one unpainted?" She tells me that our new floor is pretty, but she would never have black floors in a kitchen. We're standing at the deli counter and I was buying lunch meat, and she said, "I won't eat that roast beef. Are you kidding?! BLEGH! UGH! YUCK! I wouldn't put that in my mouth!" When she saw that I was annoyed, she patted my arm and said, "That's ok. Pops will eat it, honey."

I'm ranting, I know. But I feel this pick.pick.pick thing all day long while they are here. Someone feel like helping me survive the next seven days?

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
...Someone feel like helping me survive the next seven days?
Yeah, be grateful that they're not staying for seven weeks. Or seven months! :)

I miss my MIL. We used to have the best times together, and I could talk to her all day and never get bored. She was sweet and kind and strong, intelligent beyond words, and by far the best person I've ever known.

My wife would tease us, saying we carried on like love birds, and one time said, "The only thing you two haven't shared is the same bed."

Her mom said, "Oh yeah? Well don't count that out. I ain't dead yet!"

Man, I miss that woman. My heart breaks even thinking about her.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
I'm not a drinker, so I can't recommend that... but it could be a whole hell of a lot worse. Such as my friend's dad, who would use the word "Tits" as a synonym for "good." Instead of saying, "That's good!" He'd say "That's tits!" Which would you prefer? =)

Though, I like my in laws. They're the only people in my family who actually listen to me and are able to care about someone beyond themselves.

I also work with all sorts of irritating people. My students have to be reminded on a near-daily basis that profanity is not school appropriate. It does nothing for me or them to get upset. I just laugh and let it all go. It's just not worth the energy to get upset, IMHO.

I like to make up scenarios that exaggerate the action and amuse myself by playing them out. Like god coming down to try to damn the door knob, looking at the cursing man, and ask him "WTF, dude?" Or something. (I also use some of those same musings in stories... so it's double-duty.)

Best of luck.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have an extra, unused pair of Husher earplugs I can mail you--the best on the market.

(Then again, something that worked even better when I finally went over the edge was wearing headphones all day...)

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Oy the picking! Oh, I hear you there. I'm kind of oddly analytical and wonder why folks tell me their opinions on things like that to start with. Get the kind of floors you like and I'll get the kind I like, right?

My Ex MIL was hideous, though. Her constant picks were thinly veiled insults, not to be confused with her outright insults. She liked to mix it up a bit, I guess. I can't tell you how many times the room would go quiet after she spoke. Sadly, she also had a laugh like a chainsaw buzz and would finish her zingers with a long spell of the laughing.

Ah, the single life now ;)

Sometimes it helps to act like you are thinking about something important and didn't really hear the nit-picks: "Oh, yeah?..." Mostly, though, thank God they don't live with you :D

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Ay. I feel your pain.

One thing you can do is plan LOTS of activities. Like, "Hey! Let's all go to the museum/park/beach/whatever today!" You are "entertaining" them, while going somewhere busy that keeps them occupied and out of house and hair.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
You seem like a nice, normal person. I don't understand why you haven't killed them yet..

no, just kidding! Perhaps you can do a lot of gardening. Do you have some large bit of equipment you can use, one too loud to allow conversation? I would suggest buying some.

i hate it when people tell you what you are buying they will not eat. It's like, suggest something else, or explain your dietary needs, or bring your own friggin food.

Reasons like this are why I will never marry.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, boy. I guess I'm the worst daughter in law in the world, really. I don't know what her deal is. On one hand, she is very thoughtful and nice. Then on the other hand, she is just downright stunning with her comments sometimes. Hubby told me a long time ago that she has had more than one nervous breakdown and that although she is stable on the surface, she isn't stable underneath. That would also explain why a few years ago I got an email from her telling me that I was only good to her and pops long enough to get her son to marry me.

Oy.

Mom thinks she is jealous that I took her son away. I dunno. She really can be sweet. Maybe she just isn't stable enough to know how to not be snippy.

Activities sound like a good idea. Getting out of the house might do us all some good.

Last edited:

bettielee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Contrary to popular belief, I think the line between being direct and being rude is not thin, and most people are fully aware of when they have crossed it.

I find it beautiful you have this in your sig. It's totally true. And maybe MIL knows it... or maybe the poor woman just needs to have her hand held. Some people are just like that. They require the eggshell dance, and all you can do is mince about until they leave.

I wish you luck, Carole.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You have my condolences. My MIL adores me. Thankfully she lives in the same town and has never had to come to stay. One of us would be dead.

MM

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Some people are just like that. They require the eggshell dance, and all you can do is mince about until they leave.

Bingo. It's like a "Look at me . . .I'm delicate! Look at me . . . I'm fragile, dammit!" thing. And she really can't do anything (but she can tell everyone ELSE how to do it!)

bettielee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Bingo. It's like a "Look at me . . .I'm delicate! Look at me . . . I'm fragile, dammit!" thing. And she really can't do anything (but she can tell everyone ELSE how to do it!)

Oh my gosh, you put that perfectly. Amazing how they rise to to the occasion when something they can't do needs to be pointed out!

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
You could always turn the situation around. "Oh, no, MIL, don't get up, I couldn't possibility expect you to help with dinner! Oh of course you have to go, bees are incredibility dangerous... did you hear about the Africanized Honey bees? They're deadly! They're even learning how to open doors! Yes, you should go."

Or do what I do with my family at gatherings. Smile and nod, agree with everything, but inside that shell, I'm thinking about more important things than family b.s., like the story I'm working on.