PDA

View Full Version : Complete Blog Makeover

Jessi
05-24-2009, 08:32 PM
It's been a while since I've been here at the AW blogging board regularly like I was before. I did a complete redesign recently, fell in love with my template, and am starting to really enjoy blogging again. So much so that I'm planning a new blog in addition to my main one.

Before I get ahead of myself, though, I'd kind of like to see what other people think of how it's looking. Just because I like how it looks, doesn't mean other people do. And because I'd like to use this same main template with just some color tweaks and such for the new site, I want to make sure it's looking okay. I've also started playing with some advertising (3 years of blogging and I've never had an ad there), so if that looks a little weird or out of place, it's because I'm still trying to decide if I even want to keep it, hehe.

Anywho, enough rambling. Please let me know what you think and criticize whatever you can. Thank you. :)

www.quirkyjessi.com

Izz
05-25-2009, 12:04 AM
I like the blog, mostly. The only issue i have is with the header bar (or whatever it's called). I like the fluorescent blue vine in the background, but its sparkly brightness kinda makes it difficult for me to focus on the gray on black text and links within the header. Might just be me though. :)

spamwarrior
05-25-2009, 03:20 AM
I like the look of the blog. The sparkly blue thing is nice, too. It matches with soem of the font color! I really like the content.

I'm not sure about the white on black, though... for some reason it makes my eyes hurt.

Jessi
05-25-2009, 06:17 AM
Is there a color that would work better on the black? I have the solid white for when the item is selected and a lighter gray for items that aren't selected. Would a different shade of gray be easier to read maybe?

samoht9
05-25-2009, 07:26 AM
I like the layout and the content looks really interesting.

I would agree that the header bar needs some work. For instance the "DON'T CLICK YE" link. It is much easier to read the color of the link when I hover over it so you may want to think about that being the standard color for the link and come up with another color for when hovering. That really helped make it stand out against that blue vine just to the right.

The rest of the links on the bar you may want to think of some brighter colors possibly. This would help them stand out and they really do seem to do weird things with my eyes. I think brightening them up with a nice blue or even green would make them stand out more. Orange would be a good companion to the blue as well and definitely stand out on that bar.

I should warn you however, while I complain about the links doing weird things to my eyes, I have been on a computer for over 10 hrs today. Basically everything is hurting my eyes at this point.

One other thing I would say is where you have Quirky Jessi at the top. It doesn't quite look right on two lines to me. Really threw me off and was kinda distracting. Possibly think of putting that on a single line to take up more of that upper left area and allow for more padding between "Quirky Jessi" and the top of the window.

Overall I really like what you have done with it, and it does seem like you are going to have some interesting content. Good luck with the blog and all. Hope these comments help. PM me if you want more feedback if you make any changes.

Jessi
05-25-2009, 12:27 PM
The color used for when you scroll over "don't click me" is the same color for all of the things you hover over at the top and the middle columns of links. So you have the row on the left with "Contact," for example, and the column to its direct right has a list of ways to contact me....when you hover over all of those (and the same for any other 'tab' you select), they're all the same color. If I make that the standard color, are you saying all of the items in that upper box should be that color....and make the color that is currently bright white, a blue or green instead?

As for the Quirky Jessi, I didn't actually choose for it to be that way, and I'm struggling to fix the code in order to put it different. I'm considering just doing a picture image of the name and placing that in somehow, because the way the template is set, I can't seem to get it to do anything else. :( I agree that it looks off, though.

pmadams
05-27-2009, 11:22 PM
I like it! I like the material. Don't like the dark colors at the top so much, would like to see something a little more bright, but that is just my own preference. You are doing a great job!

Jessi
06-04-2009, 05:43 AM
Thanks pmadams. :)

Fokker Aeroplanbau
06-14-2009, 10:12 PM
The first thing that hits me when I see the blog is the neon vine; God knows there's something unnatural about a faintly glowing vine but nonetheless it manages to attract my attention. Get’s me going, ready to read this blog because... It has a cool radioactive vine thing going on. Silly, but true. :)

I think your beast feature is the top commenter thing. That's a really good feature- by chance could you PM me the code? Yes, that's how awesome I think it is; it's going on my blog. Which, as the saying goes, says more about how I like it then at least 1000 words.

One thing I am not a whole fan of, is the weird bunny on the left. You're trying to portray your blog as one too many things with two graphics. Is it a eccentric bunny site, or it is a hyphy blog with radioactive vines? Really, I don't like cheesy bunny sites... But I'm representative of teenage males who have too much time on their hands when I say "radioactive vines are a resounding Yes."

So yeah, consider editing that picture away- either incorporate that theme with your whole blog or take it away completely. Not to be offensive, just saying... Weird bunnies are weird. :P

There's also too many 'labels;' as a casual viewer I'm not going to go look through them all. It's almost like you need a search engine, to help search... Something that is supposed to help people search your blog. Which seems a touch counter-intuitive... But maybe it's me, and if you really want to... Don't change them. It's just me rambling. ;)

The ads, mostly take away, but I see why you need them. So those are cool, the font's nice, and really the only thing I can imagine doing different is having a more colorful, quirky intro. Your current description of yourself/blog is fairly vanilla, and while you don't need to go crazy. Try to express some of your wild side for people to read right off the bat.

Michael J. Hoag
07-02-2009, 03:17 AM
The look is very impressive. I haven't seen anything like it. On the down side, the header is a little hard on my squinty over-read eyes.

And to me, because the topmost navigation bar narrows and then the bottom opens on to white background with big pictures, it creates a little visual asymmetry. It has something of a pyramid shape to me.... Otherwise, the look is different from anything I've seen yet.

Nice