PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Nonfiction Beta Reader and/or Mentor

DoomieBey
05-23-2009, 05:03 PM
I am [just about] completion of what will be an approximately 160-175 page nonfiction self-help book for prison returnees. I've been sifting through the threads and the majority of the posts state that Beta readers DO NOT prefer nonfiction works. The posts that did list NF as a favorite, were not interested in Beta-ing or being a mentor for my subject. Is there ANYONE who would be? *Note: Whether you are simpathetic, empathic, or apathetic about returnees, the fact is that many will be returning to our communities at some point. I only want to do my part to educate them on what's expected/not tolerated from society's perspective.

DoomieBey
05-23-2009, 05:09 PM
CONT. My only request is that whomever decide to assist me, be a Beta or mentor that has NEVER had any serious brushes with the Law, as I am looking for hard-nosed critiquing from society's perspective. The book is not to get society to understand returnees; rather, to get returnees to understand society! Enough is enough of the excuses and revolving doors at taxpayers expense.

midnight candle
05-23-2009, 05:11 PM
send it over friend by email. i'll be glad to beta read for you.

VeggieChick
05-24-2009, 02:36 PM
I'll be happy to take a look at it too. I write nonfiction for a living, so it should be no problem (send me a pm and I'll send you my website/email).

Wayne K
05-25-2009, 12:11 PM
My only request is that whomever decide to assist me, be a Beta or mentor that has NEVER had any serious brushes with the Law,

I'm out.

DoomieBey
05-26-2009, 01:34 AM
Didn't mean to officially alienate you, brother:D.

My objective is to capture the voice of the segment of society that is fed up with the excuses of using the revolving door of recidivism: The spouse that's always forced to shoulder the load in the returnee's absence, the family that's tired of sending money, the employer that is wary of allowing a returnee to ruin their business, tax payers that could find better uses for their labor, people who are "expected" to convert to another religious belief as a sign of solidarity - you get the gist.

What I didn't want to risk is sympathy or back door excuses for why returnees cannot stay out. Example: Some people complain about the government building more prisons than schools. Its true, but its done because it's needed! Come on, Wayne; how many people do you know/know of that dropped out of school because of overcrowding? Do they REALLY expect society to believe that if there was an affordable college in their community, that they would have attended??

That's the "voice" I'm trying to capture. And because I've been where they are, I need someone to keep me from taking the pity path. My objective is to challenge the prisoner to challenge themselves about what it will take for the individual to function by the rules.

Again, I do apologize, because I am in no position to snub anyone who would offer their time.
I'm out.