PDA

View Full Version : Armed Security

AceTachyon
05-22-2009, 09:38 PM
Suppose you have armed security for a restricted area. Say a goodly-sized R&D lab. Two pairs of roving foot patrols. Another two pair inside the complex, also roaming. Plus their alternates and desk-bound compatriots.

What would their typical ammo load be? Say, sidearms for the desk guys; sidearms and SMGs for the rovers.

I figure at least a load per sidearm and/or SMG. Four reloads for sidearms and four for SMGs? Too much? Too little?

Thoughts?

Sheryl Nantus
05-23-2009, 01:11 AM
I'd think about where the guards are going to be CARRYING all this extra ammo...

:D

AceTachyon
05-23-2009, 01:14 AM
I'd think about where the guards are going to be CARRYING all this extra ammo...

:D
I was thinking double mag pouches on duty belts for sidearms? Tac vest pouches and maybe a triple-mag dropleg pouch for SMGs?

Maiden
05-23-2009, 09:59 AM
Anyone I knew that did armed security did not carry extra ammo. So it would depend on what they are guarding. The more they are paid and the more secure the environment would call for the guards to carry extra ammo just in case.

So it would be hard to say if it is too little or too much without knowing why they armed security was in place in the first place.

dpaterso
05-23-2009, 10:59 AM
Depends on what kind of trouble they're expecting! SMGs in a civilian environment? Hmm.

If they're just entry- or protester-deterrent security then perhaps they'd only carry what's in their sidearms (in some Glocks, up to 15 rounds). Additional ammo would be in their lockers. I'm thinking company safety audits, which include firearms storage and safety.

-Derek

RJK
05-23-2009, 06:36 PM
It wouldn't be unusual for the guards carrying sidearms to carry two extra clips. I'm not familiar with the loadouts of guards with SMG's, you're talking some pretty heavy security. Where have you ever seen this kind of setup, besides hollywood?

quixote100104
05-24-2009, 12:58 PM
In my experiance (22 years in the security field, though admittedly limited exposure to armed posts), armed security in the US is generally limited to handguns for standard patrol duties and most I've seen followed the police model of two reloads (magazines, speedloaders, etc) on the duty belt.

In contract security agencies (which provide most security in the US), often the guards are individually certified for on-duty carry via thier state's requirements (ACT 235 here in PA) and carry personally owned weapons. Depending on the client's position, there can be a lot of flexibility.

For instance, I personally have worked with a guy who carried (count 'em!) four handguns and over a hundred rounds of ammo on his person while working as a roving night supervisor/inspector for a small local contract company. Lord knows what he had in his car, though I knew another guy in a similiar position (diferent company) who had a class 3 permit and kept a Cobray M-11 under his passenger seat, backed up by a SPAS-12 and an AKM in the trunk (saw them with my own wide, nervous eyes ;-) ).

That was all years ago, of course, well pre-9/11. Today such things might be more or less possible, depending on the circumstances.

Shoulder arms for private security is asking for trouble. There is a significant liability issue tied up in just issuing handguns. I've heard that some very high security sites (like nuclear power plants) have assault rifles in thier vehicles and in the hands of an onsite response team, but I've never worked at such a site.

Of course, when you get into the deep end, where companies like Blackwater swim, you might end up doing your perimeter checks in a tank, for all I know :-).

backslashbaby
05-24-2009, 02:29 PM
For instance, I personally have worked with a guy who carried (count 'em!) four handguns and over a hundred rounds of ammo on his person while working as a roving night supervisor/inspector for a small local contract company. Lord knows what he had in his car, though I knew another guy in a similiar position (diferent company) who had a class 3 permit and kept a Cobray M-11 under his passenger seat, backed up by a SPAS-12 and an AKM in the trunk (saw them with my own wide, nervous eyes ;-) ).

:roll: Texas?

I'm not surprised, actually. Laws aside (because I know nothing about them), it is startling what security measures companies will put in place. My experience comes from US companies in other countries, but Wowza. The locals in one country joked that the company had more security than their President's house, and indeed it did. If I told y'all the company you'd laugh your a$$es off.

So, I'd buy nearly any US company wanting to - just check the local laws, etc. for credibility, imho.

quixote100104
05-24-2009, 02:52 PM
:roll: Texas?
No...Pennsylvania. In Texas, I wouldn't have been surprised ;-)