Where do I go from here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simran

I had my first novel published by Paper Tigers Publishing, INC., a print on demand company in 2002. Several problems surfaced and I wonder where to go from here or do I need to start over.

In the agreement a ISBN was promised but never materialized.

Unfortunately, they sent my manuscript out to another printer and messed it up. I sent back the books and asked for a refund, since in redoing them, they would have used the same printing company. They took back the books, kept my money and flew the coop.

The cases they made up for the CDs with my manuscript files on them say copyright 2002 Judith Silva.

My question is how can I still get a ISBN when it is only the publisher who can get it and he's looooooooooooooooooong gone?

Thanks

Last edited:

Simran

maestrowork said:
You don't need to be a publisher to get an ISBN. You can buy your own.

Really? I wasn't aware of this fact (well duh, obviously! lol) Where do I go to purchase an ISBN? Thanks a bunch Maestro.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Kris, I believe you're right. You need to buy a group of 10. The good thing is they're cheap, and you can use the other 9 for your a) additional editions, and b) other books you're going to write.

Carlene

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlenedater.com
ISBN #'s

You can buy one ISBN but it's $150! You can get 10 for $250 - so of course it's smart to do that. I still have nine and WILL do something with some ... some day!

Simran

Carlene said:
You can buy one ISBN but it's $150! You can get 10 for $250 - so of course it's smart to do that. I still have nine and WILL do something with some ... some day!

thanks Carlene

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Carlene said:

Some day should be someday soon, Carlene! Starting January 1, 2007, the 10-digit ISBN numbers already issued will go away. They will be replaced by new 13-digit EAN/UCC-13 numbers, and they won't be nearly as easy to get as they have been in the past. You might want to read the article I wrote about it, here:

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13974

But until then, good luck with this Judi_S!

Simran

oh thanks Cathy for letting us know. I'm off to check out your your article

brinkett

Elder Scrolls devotee
Registered
Reaction score
Cathy C said:
They will be replaced by new 13-digit EAN/UCC-13 numbers, and they won't be nearly as easy to get as they have been in the past.
I haven't read anything that says it'll be more difficult to obtain ISBNs than it is now. However, they'll be issued in smaller blocks to avoid running out quickly. So publishers will have to buy smaller blocks more frequently, rather than buy large blocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.