PDA

View Full Version : There's a bird in my son's closet...

rhymegirl
05-22-2009, 01:43 AM
and we don't really know how to get it out.

Apparently it flew into a small hole in the side of the house/roof.

It's not in a place we can easily get to. (between the roof and the bottom part of the closet--so it's the upper part of the closet--with a part of closet wood in the way)

Any suggestions?

Seaclusion
05-22-2009, 01:46 AM
I thought this was going to be a Goldie Hawn movie.

Have your husband put a pink board over the hole.

Richard

KTC
05-22-2009, 01:47 AM
There's an apple in my daughter's jacket...

KTC
05-22-2009, 01:47 AM
and we don't really know how to get it out.

Apparently it flew into a small hole in the side of the house/roof.

It's not in a place we can easily get to. (between the roof and the bottom part of the closet--so it's the upper part of the closet--with a part of closet wood in the way)

Any suggestions?

cover it with a towel and gently take it outside.

rhymegirl
05-22-2009, 01:49 AM
cover it with a towel and gently take it outside.

We can't do that, Kevin. It's not accessible.

We can hear it in there, but not see it. My husband climbed on a ladder outside and looked in with a flashlight and saw it.

But we can't get at it.

KTC
05-22-2009, 01:51 AM
We can't do that, Kevin. It's not accessible.

Can't you slowly open the closet holding up the towel? Otherwise, shut his room and then open the closet and try to put the towel over it. ??? Or close the door in the room, open the closet and open the window wide and leave it for a while. Duck.

rhymegirl
05-22-2009, 01:54 AM
The closet door IS open. That's not the problem. The closet has a top shelf or two. All these boards between the top of the closet and the bottom part. The bird is up above the shelves somewhere between there and the roof of the house.

KTC
05-22-2009, 01:56 AM
oic. I have no idea. Geez. Sounds like an animal control thing...but you know how expensive that can be. Can you get to the attic? Maybe from up there you could reach down and rescue the bird from wherever it is in???

alleycat
05-22-2009, 01:57 AM
I think she means it's between the ceiling joists and the roof rafters.

I'm not sure about this one. It's hard to get a bird out if you open a door or window, let alone if it only has a small hole to get out. Whatever you do, don't panic the bird.

ETA: I was typing as the two posts above were being made.

Seaclusion
05-22-2009, 01:58 AM
. Whatever you do, don't panic the bird.

Don't panic the bird. Hell, it's her husband I'm worried about.

Richard

Sophia
05-22-2009, 02:00 AM
Is there any way you can remove the shelves? From the description it sounds as if you have limited options. Take away as much as you can, have plenty of light around the exit to help it find the escape route, and block up the hole from the outside afterwards may be all that can be done. Unless there is some way to make the hole from the outside larger, and then repairing it afterwards?

rhymegirl
05-22-2009, 02:02 AM
I think she means it's between the ceiling joists and the roof rafters.

I'm not sure about this one. It's hard to get a bird out if you open a door or window, let alone if it only has a small hole to get out. Whatever you do, don't panic the bird.

ETA: I was typing as the two posts above were being made.

Yes, this is more like what I mean.

My son is tired of listening to tweet tweet tweet.

Fenika
05-22-2009, 02:13 AM
That's a tough one. If it's nesting then it found another way in. Heck, from what I understand I'm guessing it didn't fly through the room.

You might call animal control or a rehabber to see what they suggest.

How long has it been there? Cuz if it's been a while, and it's native, it's a protected nesting bird. Or it's a starling/e. sparrow.

Good luck with that one.

alleycat
05-22-2009, 02:14 AM
This sound like something a Carolina Wren would do. They seem to get themselves in the worst possible places.

I know it would be hard, but the best thing to do is probably nothing and hope the bird will calm down, see the light outside, and go back out. Even if someone can get up into the space, they couldn't catch the bird easily. Even if you make the outside hole larger, when a bird is trapped like that it takes them a while to get their wits back and do the logic thing (not that I suppose birds use much logic anyway).

rhymegirl
05-22-2009, 02:26 AM
We definitely don't want to make the hole larger because more birds will get in. My husband had plugged up that outside hole a few years ago when this happened before. But we had roof work done recently and it opened up that hole again.

I think what happened before is the bird did figure out where the hole was and it flew out and away.

ChristineR
05-22-2009, 03:00 AM
If you know where it got in, the thing to do is wait for it to go out for food and then plug the hole.

If it can't figure out how to get out, then it will probably go out through the closet at some point, at which point the thing to do is close the closet, close your son's door, open the window and take the screen off. If you can't take the screen off, you herd it with a broom to a door to the outside. You can also throw a blanket over it sometimes and catch it that way.

If it's not in there now, if at all possible, fix the hole right away, before it comes back.

In the meantime, give your son earplugs, or let him camp in the living room.

rhymegirl
05-22-2009, 04:07 AM
That's a tough one. If it's nesting then it found another way in. Heck, from what I understand I'm guessing it didn't fly through the room.
How long has it been there? Cuz if it's been a while, and it's native, it's a protected nesting bird. Or it's a starling/e. sparrow.

Good luck with that one.

We think there is a nest. The bird came in from the outside.

I don't know how long it's (or maybe they've) been there. My son only heard the tweeting today.

Fenika
05-22-2009, 04:13 AM
Well, if you plug it now, you risk starved dead babies in your house. And they'll rot.

Is the tweeting small and eager? If so, guaranteed babies, old enough to suddenly hear them. (I don't think any newborns peep much among songbirds. Takes a few days. Not sure tho)

Kaiser-Kun
05-22-2009, 04:36 AM
Why don't you fill the closet with air, so the li'l birdie can ride it to... oh, nevermind. That was for ducks.

wannawrite
05-22-2009, 05:22 AM
Um...throw a cat in the closet with it?

Susie
05-22-2009, 07:09 AM
That's unreal, Kathy. Hope you're able to take care of it soon...

rhymegirl
05-22-2009, 05:08 PM
There's an apple in my daughter's jacket...

And she's the apple of your eye. Right?

quickWit
05-22-2009, 06:26 PM
There's a bird in my son's closet...

...and an old bat in the living room.

*rimshot*

Thank you. You're too kind.

C.bronco
05-22-2009, 06:28 PM
leave the door open and put a dish of sunflower seeds or birdseed in the middle of the room?

Vaccuum cleaner?

Perks
05-22-2009, 07:09 PM
Yikes! I had a bird fly in once. They're a pain in the ass to get out. I can't even imagine what to advise if you can't do the towel trick.

Maybe call an exterminator -- not to kill it, but maybe for some advice.

rhymegirl
05-22-2009, 08:34 PM
We had a bird in our office one time. (It's a big room.) It was flying all over the room and almost impossible to catch. (or so it seemed)

I'm sorry to have to admit this but there were four of us females (my daughter, her girlfriends and myself) attempting to catch this bird. I tried everything I could think of but nothing worked.

My husband came home later on and said, "What are you all yelling and fussing about?"

We told him. He caught the bird and let it go outside in about 10 minutes or less.

rhymegirl
05-22-2009, 08:37 PM
...and an old bat in the living room.

Um, quicky?

You wouldn't be referring to me as the old bat now, would you?

Mela
05-22-2009, 09:05 PM
I've had birds fly into the house - and bats once or twice positioned upside down from the top of a doorway.
oh, the days ....

I think your only choice is to call animal control and get their advice.
If you know where the hole is and plugged it up once, then can't you get back to it from outside the house - or atleast take a look in to see where the bird is, or what it is you're dealing with? Little baby birds? Or is it too high up?

We have birds come into the attic occasionally - I don't know how they get in - perhaps through a vent - but they usually find their way back out.

Hope you solve your problem soon!

James81
05-22-2009, 09:07 PM
Purchase a BB gun, stick it in the hole, fire.

Use tent poles with hanger hooks duck taped to them to scrape him outta there.

Susie
05-22-2009, 09:12 PM
Wow, Perks said ass. Geez, I just did, too. :D

rhymegirl
05-22-2009, 09:27 PM
Purchase a BB gun, stick it in the hole, fire.

Use tent poles with hanger hooks duck taped to them to scrape him outta there.

I don't want to hurt the little birdie. Or birdies.

James81
05-22-2009, 09:32 PM
I don't want to hurt the little birdie. Or birdies.

heh, well instead of a hanger on the tent poles, hook a tiny net to it and see if you can't catch him and scrape him out alive then. :D

quickWit
05-22-2009, 09:45 PM
Um, quicky?

You wouldn't be referring to me as the old bat now, would you?

I was, yes. :D

Anyway, I've a quick story. I used to work with injured birds for a while and some friends called one night saying a bird was stuck in their fireplace. When I got there the woman of the house was locked in her bedroom shrieking. (The fireplace was 2 storys below).

So, after about 20 minutes of getting the bird out and wrangling it in a towel I carried the little guy outside. He was squawking and carrying on the whole time until I released him and watched him fly a short distance down the road and land on the curb, exhausted.

At which point a cat promptly darted from some nearby bushes and carried him off, squawking into the darkness.

True story. :D

rhymegirl
05-22-2009, 09:47 PM
At which point a cat promptly darted from some nearby bushes and carried him off, squawking into the darkness.

True story. :D

Oh that poor little birdie.

quickWit
05-22-2009, 11:49 PM
Oh that poor little birdie.

Poor birdie? Hello! Perhaps you missed the part when I said I spent 20 minutes of my life getting him out of there? Not to mention travel time and gas money.

rhymegirl
05-22-2009, 11:52 PM
Poor birdie? Hello! Perhaps you missed the part when I said I spent 20 minutes of my life getting him out of there? Not to mention travel time and gas money.

Oh, that poor little quicktwit. :) Or maybe quicktweet. Ha ha ha!

Fenika
05-23-2009, 12:03 AM
Perhaps Quicky would feel better if we locked him in a strange alien cave, chased him around until he was exhausted, then released him back into his native suburbia to collapse on the sidewalk... but with lions. :D

In uni we raised caterpillars into butterflies. One of my classmates had one of two survive. She really really liked her butterfly, but since they have a short life span she decided to release it so it could be free. She goes to a small park in the middle of campus, releases her butterfly, and watches it fly up and away.

Then a bird swooshed down and caught it in midair.

Ain't freedom grand? At least the butterfly hadn't been chased around first ;)

ChristineR
05-23-2009, 12:05 AM
If there are baby birds in there, your only real option may be to wait until fall and plug the hole then--or call the professional baby bird killer and let him take care of it. If you can figure out what sort of bird it is, you can call the animal control people for advice and they can let you know if you are likely to have babies. But if it's going in and out of your house, you may be in trouble. If it just visited and can get itself out, then drama over.

quickWit
05-23-2009, 12:25 AM
Perhaps Quicky would feel better if we locked him in a strange alien cave, chased him around until he was exhausted, then released him back into his native suburbia to collapse on the sidewalk... but with lions.

Perhaps.

QUESTION: Is the cave climate controlled?

wannawrite
05-23-2009, 12:34 AM
Seriously, people. Get. A. Cat.

rhymegirl
05-23-2009, 12:53 AM
Perhaps Quicky would feel better if we locked him in a strange alien cave, chased him around until he was exhausted, then released him back into his native suburbia to collapse on the sidewalk... but with lions.

Okay. I'll volunteer to chase him around. I've got some new running sneakers.

vrabinec
05-23-2009, 12:56 AM
Oh, you're talking about a real bird. I thought you meant a bird in the British sense, and you were worried she was corrupting him or something. Why don't you smoke the thing out? Take out the clothes and set off one of those bug extermination smoky things, and it'll either get the hell out of there, or die.

Fenika
05-23-2009, 01:11 AM
Okay, half of ya'll are joking, but let me make something clear.

A dead rotting bird is generally on the same disturbance level--if not greater!--than a live chirpy one. You've gone from odd noises to a foul smell and god knows what eating a carcass in your house. Maybe a rat or two.

But please, feel free to chemically nuke your own confined living space all you like. Just spare the children at the least.

*cuts soapbox time short*

Silver King
05-24-2009, 02:18 AM
What the heck's going on with that bird, Kathy? It's been twenty-four hours since your last update. Did you hurt or kill it yet? Come on, fess up!

Fenika
05-24-2009, 02:56 AM
Maybe she could install a web cam so we can see what kinda cuties she's helping to raise :D

Silver King
05-24-2009, 03:15 AM
Maybe she could install a web cam so we can see what kinda cuties she's helping to raise :D
That's a great idea! We can offer tips as we watch along, such as, "Kathy, be careful with that broom! You're gonna break something. Uh oh. Now the bird has flown into her hair! Quick, someone call 911..."

STKlingaman
05-24-2009, 03:48 AM
So your choices are . . .
Chainsaw, crowbar or small contained fire.

Vacuum cleaner works great at
making flies disappear.

Eating fresh garlic will keep
mosquitos away.

or a Lacrosse Stick, pool skimmer,
pillow case, pair of pants (with the
legs tied).

rhymegirl
05-24-2009, 06:56 AM
What the heck's going on with that bird, Kathy? It's been twenty-four hours since your last update. Did you hurt or kill it yet? Come on, fess up!

BIRD UPDATE:

No, I would never hurt or kill a bird.

The latest development is the sound of chirping inside the closet.

I am leaving it up to my husband to deal with. He says he will have to remove the shelves and boards to get at the bird.

Ken Schneider
05-24-2009, 03:44 PM
Too bad you're not British. She'd have to come out at some point to pee.

rhymegirl
07-19-2009, 01:40 AM
BIRD UPDATE!!

Today my nephew (he's a carpenter) and his partner were working on my son's bedroom. They're putting in new walls and a new floor.

They tore out the closet. As some of you know we had been hearing chirping from way up inside the closet, in a spot we could not access.

So today when the guys were working they found a really big nest up there. Obviously the mother bird must have made it slowly over time because she was coming into the house from a very tiny hole in the side of our house, up near the roof.

Well, they put the nest outside in one of the trees. There were a couple of tiny little birds in the nest and an egg. And they patched up the hole in the side of the house.

So the bird problem has been resolved!

brokenfingers
07-19-2009, 01:56 AM
What? No bird stew?!

Angie
07-19-2009, 01:56 AM
Woo-hoo!

When I was in high school, we had an old woodburning stove in the living room. Birds would come down the chimney and get trapped inside, and my stepfather would put a fish net over the opening, open the door, catch the birds...and then take them outside and kill them. I don't know why, but he's another story entirely.

Anyway, one day I was home and he was in the basement when I heard a bird chirping in the wood stove and decided just this once a bird was going to make it back out of our house without having to die. So I opened the woodstove door. Without putting a net over it. Bird was thrilled to get out, but his joy was short-lived when he discovered himself inside our living room. He flew around frantically for a minute as I rushed to the front door and opened it and tried to shoo him out before my stepfather came back upstairs and discovered my stupidity. I had to be an amusing sight, running in circles around the living room after a bird that refused to be "shoo'd" anywhere. It ignored the door and fell behind a china hutch we had in a corner, at which point it completely disappeared. I looked in the space behind the hutch - nothing. Looked in the space underneath - nothing. That bird freaking flew behind that hutch and into an alternate dimension, I swear.

By this time, my stepfather had started to wonder why he could hear me running back and forth upstairs and came up to investigate. I had the front door shut by this time and got the woodstove closed just before he got upstairs. He asked what I was doing and I gave the usual teenager answer: "Nothing."

To this day I have no idea what happened to that bird. My stepfather never mentioned finding it, and I could never see behind that china hutch to get at it. Years later, when they moved the china hutch during a repainting of the living room, there was no bird there. So my stupidity went completely undetected. Until now.

rhymegirl
07-19-2009, 02:08 AM
What? No bird stew?!

You're as bad as the AWers who want to eat rabbits.

Angie
07-19-2009, 02:11 AM
Rabbits are tasty.

rhymegirl
07-19-2009, 02:13 AM
Rabbits are tasty.

No, they're not.

They're cute, cuddly little animals.

And besides, who wants to eat bird?

Tiz_Mee
07-19-2009, 02:14 AM
Rabbits are tasty.

So is squirrel.

Angie
07-19-2009, 02:15 AM
Well, not a little bird. There's no meat on them. But poultry is tasty.

And so is rabbit. Rabbit tastes very much like chicken, cliche be damned.

Angie
07-19-2009, 02:15 AM
So is squirrel.

So is turtle. And alligator.

Tiz_Mee
07-19-2009, 02:17 AM
So is turtle. And alligator.

ool. I may need to snag me some of that. (the turtle, no alligators up here.)

Angie
07-19-2009, 02:24 AM
Hehe, no alligators where I am either. I used to live in the South.

Rattlesnake is interesting, too.

Tiz_Mee
07-19-2009, 02:29 AM
Rattlesnake is interesting, too.

I might could find some of those further up the mountains, but copperheads abound.

I'm getting off here. Your making me hungry and I'm gonna blow my diet.

Angie
07-19-2009, 02:36 AM
:D

ShowerInspiration
07-19-2009, 06:03 AM
Fire! Fire fire fire!!! Use Fire!

Sorry. I'm off my meds. lol

Angie
07-19-2009, 06:37 AM
Fire! Fire fire fire!!! Use Fire!

Sorry. I'm off my meds. lol

You and everyone else on this forum. :D

Fenika
07-19-2009, 06:45 AM

Indeed.

Angie
07-19-2009, 06:48 AM
Indeed.

Baha!! *pounce*

Where ya been? :D

rhymegirl
07-19-2009, 07:56 AM

Especially Kevin.

Angie
07-19-2009, 07:57 AM
Well, yes. That goes without saying.

Susie
07-19-2009, 08:05 AM
LOL. Ever notice when someone says, "It goes without saying someone always says it?"

Angie
07-19-2009, 08:09 AM
That goes without saying.

Susie
07-19-2009, 09:02 AM
You're so right, Angie and yet you said it. :D