• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Looking for beta readers for sci-fi novel (Foundation series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omega

Registered
Reaction score
If you're familiar with Asimov, you know the Foundation series. I've never been satisfied with the way "Foundation and Earth" ended. There were too many hanging threads from both that and "Foundation's Edge". Yet in twenty years there's never been resolution, just five prequels, and I couldn't stand it any more. I've spent the last several years, off and on, writing a story that I believed flows naturally from what came before. I'm not a writer, I'm an engineer who can't let go of a crazy idea. :)

I decided to try to simplify things, instead of making them more complex. I have added no significant characters that did not previously exist in the series (including the Second Trilogy by Benford, Bear and Brin), and all events grow directly out of events in previous books. I believe I have developed a story that holds true to many Asimov themes, provides resolution to several threads, advances several others, and generally sets a clearer way forward for the series as a whole.

As of yesterday my book is complete at 55,000 words long.
Like I said, I'm not a writer, I've never done anything like this before. I think it's reasonably decent, but what do I know? It's my book. :) So I'm looking for beta readers. I'd like feedback on both the book as a standalone novel, and as an extension of the Foundation series, so familiarity and unfamiliarity with the series are both pluses.

I also need publishing advice, since I have no clue how to go about getting a sequel to an existing and massively popular series published, especially when the sequel is written by a complete nobody. But I imagine that's another thread. :)

Thanks.

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
You can send me a couple chapters if you want. I’ll take a look and see if it’s up my alley.

As for publishing… it sounds like you’ve written a Fan-Fiction. If you used the original character names and followed a similar story line, then you can’t publish it without the original writer’s approval. I believe there are some Fanfic websites out there where you can post your stories, but it would just be for fun.

If you’ve just taken the general idea and woven an original story with an original cast then you can do whatever you want with it.

PM me if you want me to take a read.

Cheers

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Not applying for this position, just wanted to make a note:
Since this is supposed to be a plot clean-up, then you should probably make sure to find at least one beta who has actually read the first Asimov books, to ensure plot continuity.

Omega

Registered
Reaction score
Not applying for this position, just wanted to make a note:
Since this is supposed to be a plot clean-up, then you should probably make sure to find at least one beta who has actually read the first Asimov books, to ensure plot continuity.

I've got a couple of those. What I'm really lacking is someone who's read the Second Trilogy, particularly Foundation and Chaos by Bear and Foundation's Triumph by Brin.

Gray Rose

Beware of the Thorns!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
roselemberg.net
This question pops up here from time to time. Sorry to rain on your parade, but it is going to be next to impossible to sell such a book from an unknown. Yes, new books are written in copyrighted universes all the time, but the copyright holders approach writers they want to work with and commission them to write the book. If memory serves we have a couple of such writers on the board.

I don't know of a single instance when it's the other way around (but always happy to be corrected). I predict agents won't touch it due to copyright issues.

If you want to save time and nerves, then pat yourself on the back for finishing your book, and go write a novel that is completely original, sell it - or short stories, or anything to build a name for yourself; get yourself an agent; then discuss your first book with an agent and see what they can do.

Good luck and congrats on finishing a manuscript!

Omega

Registered
Reaction score
This question pops up here from time to time. Sorry to rain on your parade, but it is going to be next to impossible to sell such a book from an unknown. Yes, new books are written in copyrighted universes all the time, but the copyright holders approach writers they want to work with and commission them to write the book. If memory serves we have a couple of such writers on the board.

I don't know of a single instance when it's the other way around (but always happy to be corrected). I predict agents won't touch it due to copyright issues.

If you want to save time and nerves, then pat yourself on the back for finishing your book, and go write a novel that is completely original, sell it - or short stories, or anything to build a name for yourself; get yourself an agent; then discuss your first book with an agent and see what they can do.

Good luck and congrats on finishing a manuscript!

That is indeed the plan. We went over that at... excruciating length in a couple other threads. :D

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
That is indeed the plan. We went over that at... excruciating length in a couple other threads.

If that is the plan--to write another, original novel and get an agent for that--what's the point of having a beta reader for your fanfiction?

Omega

Registered
Reaction score
If that is the plan--to write another, original novel and get an agent for that--what's the point of having a beta reader for your fanfiction?

Because the feedback is still very valuable, given that I honestly believe my book to be of publication quality, and if it's not I need to know why and how to correct such for this and future works. And because it wasn't necessarily the plan when this thread was posted. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.