PDA

View Full Version : Surprise Hits and Disappointments for the Summer

dgiharris
05-21-2009, 01:13 PM
Hi all,

Just saw a preview for Drag Me To Hell and thought that it has some potential to be a good movie.

So, with the upcoming Summer movies what are your thoughts?

What will be the Surprisingly good movies, and what will be the surprisingly bad movies?

Place your bets and prognosticate and opine.

Mel...

Wavy_Blue
05-21-2009, 08:57 PM
I'm starting to get really curious about the G.I. Joe movie. When I first saw the trailer I was really skeptical after watching it. But then I remembered I was really skeptical after seeing the trailer for Transformers (I actually laughed out loud) but that movie ended up kicking butt. Cinematic merits aside, it had high entertainment value and great effects. I'm hoping for something fun like that from G.I. Joe.

CaroGirl
05-21-2009, 08:59 PM
My prediction is Land of the Lost will be just like the old TV series: unsurprisingly terrible.

Toothpaste
05-21-2009, 11:33 PM
And I think Land of the Lost might be the sleeper hit of the summer. . . we shall see Ms.Girl, we shall see . . .

Perks
05-21-2009, 11:35 PM
I'm looking forward to 'Drag Me To Hell'. Throw a bunch of money at Sam Raimi? Lol! Very cool.

And the next Harry Potter installment looks like good fun.

I still haven't gotten to see 'Star Trek'.

CaroGirl
05-21-2009, 11:38 PM
And I think Land of the Lost might be the sleeper hit of the summer. . . we shall see Ms.Girl, we shall see . . .
Indeed we shall, Ms. Paste. Indeed we shall...
:D

Wavy_Blue
05-21-2009, 11:42 PM
And the next Harry Potter installment looks like good fun.

The most recent HP trailer is SO FREAKING AMAZING. I totally geeked out over it. The visuals look simply stunning, and man...it's gonna be good.

I agree with Land of the Lost being a little bit underrated...the movie might suck, but the series' fanbase might come out and make it majorly successful. I know my brothers-in-law have been geeking out over it for months.

Zoombie
05-21-2009, 11:50 PM
I'm betting that The Crazies remake is going to either

A) Suck and be forgotten

or

B) Be like the original: Fucking amazing, ignored by the public.

childeroland
05-21-2009, 11:57 PM
Not that I'll see it (and is it coming out this summer?) but Sandra Bullock's new film 'The Proposal' is starting to get buzzed about.

ChunkyC
05-22-2009, 12:04 AM
Dance Flick might be surprisingly funny. I hope so, the whole dance movie genre needs a good punking.

Then again, it might be completely terrible, like White Chicks. Who knows?

Zoombie
05-22-2009, 12:51 AM
Ohohoh!

District 9!

I can't wait to see District 9!

jodiodi
05-22-2009, 02:47 AM
Drag Me to Helllooks interesting. I'm so jaded on horror, though, it's hard to find a movie that scares me. Most are just boring slasher trash.

That's the only one I can think of I might go see. Still haven't see Star Trek and likely won't; too disappointed.

dgiharris
05-22-2009, 03:51 AM
Drag Me to Helllooks interesting. I'm so jaded on horror, though, it's hard to find a movie that scares me. Most are just boring slasher trash.

That's the only one I can think of I might go see. Still haven't see Star Trek and likely won't; too disappointed.

Now playing in a theater near you, Drag Jodiodi to Star Trek.

Also, you better hope Jcomp doesn't see your bash of his genre. He can get onery. Did you see "The Ring"

As for Land of the Lost. Will Ferrel can carry a movie. At first glance, I thought it looked stupid, but I think Will can pull it off. I don't think this will be a blockbuster, but I do think it will do 'well' and get good fan reviews. Something tells me the critics won't like it though.

Mel...

dclary
05-22-2009, 03:59 AM

IN WHAT?!

What the hell could have to be disappointed in, with Star Trek??!??!?!!?!?!?!??!!

!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!!?!??!?!?!?!

!

History_Chick
05-22-2009, 05:49 AM
Its all about the 80s baby!

Transformers and GI Joe.

I can't wait for either of them.

dgiharris
05-22-2009, 05:54 AM
Its all about the 80s baby!

Transformers and GI Joe.

I can't wait for either of them.

At first I was psyched to see GI Joe, but the trailer screams "Special Effects Movie" to me. A part of me thinks they didn't really write a good script, but rather just threw in a bunch of effects and explosions. I hope i'm wrong, but I don't think it will good or bad, just "meah" so-so.

Transformers will not be as good as the first one. Similar to the Matrix part II, some of the novelty will have worn off and I don't think the script will make up for it. Again, I think it will be meah though the special effects will be awesome!

History_Chick
05-22-2009, 08:47 AM
I never liked the Matrix :)

I personally like big explosions in my summer movies, but I can understand how some would not enjoy it.

Mindless summer fun is what I like to see.

aquacat
05-22-2009, 08:55 AM
I'm thinking Up (http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/up/) will be a success, and I'm hoping that Miyazaki's Ponyo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponyo_on_a_Cliff) is a surprise hit.

On the other hand, I'm really hoping Year One (http://www.yearone-movie.com/) will tank. I like Jack Black and Michael Cera, but jokes about slavery and clubbing women? Really? No more misogocomedies, thanks.

som1luvsmi
05-22-2009, 09:44 AM
I'm really interested to see how The Time Traveler's Wife turns out. Especially since it comes out in August and they have yet to release a trailer for it.

That, and the Brothers Bloom (http://www.moviefone.com/movie/the-brothers-bloom/27798/trailers).

Wavy_Blue
05-23-2009, 02:02 AM
I am sooooooooo excited to see Ponyo. The trailer is just breathtaking, and I have yet to see a Miyazaki film I didn't like (the only one I haven't seen is Porco Rosso). Since it's his last project, I'm willing to bet it'll be simply spectacular.

jodiodi
05-23-2009, 04:27 AM
Saw Trek today. It was decent. My husband (who knows nothing about Trek) loved it. I kept having to explain stuff to him.

I don't know if I loved it, but I didn't hate it so it was nice. I've been a Trek fan since TOS. Loved TNG, but the others were boring.

We want to see Drag Me to Hell.

Mechasa
05-23-2009, 02:07 PM
I think Drag Me to Hell looks like it could be good fun. I like Sam Raimi more in Evil Dead mode than in Spiderman mode. It's hard to tell from the trailer how much humour is in this one though.

Also looking forward to Terminator Salvation (even though it's getting mixed reviews), Inglourious Basterds, Up (eager to see a Pixar movie in 3D) and Land of the Lost.

Grrarrgh
05-24-2009, 01:04 AM
I'm mostly looking forward to Up and the new Harry Potter. And Drag Me to Hell. I love horror movies; I think this one looks like it'll be pretty good.

dgiharris
05-24-2009, 02:00 AM
I saw the trailier for District 9.

now that looks cool. I will probably see that in the theaters

Mel...

Kathleen42
05-24-2009, 02:03 AM
I actually think Julia & Julia (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1135503/) will be a runaway surprise.

Nora Ephron + blogging + Adams & Streep + Julia Child = female stampede?

Millicent M'Lady
05-24-2009, 02:09 AM
I'm looking forward to 'Drag Me To Hell'. Throw a bunch of money at Sam Raimi? Lol! Very cool.

Have to respectfully disagree Perks. Evil Dead=very little budget but fantastic trilogy. Spiderman had a giant budget and with Raimi at the helm should have been fantastic (dear God, that whole trilogy sucked!) Having said that, Drag Me to Hell looks super-cool. Looking forward to seeing that and the new Last House on the Left.

Ooh, almost forgot Terminator Salvation! I'm hoping that'll be brilliant but a bit uneasy with its 12A rating. Have they watered everything down I wonder?

jodiodi
05-24-2009, 02:29 AM
What is District 9 about? I've never heard of it. TToP123 looks good. The original was great and I'd like to see it.

AmandaAcidic
05-24-2009, 02:35 AM
I'm unbelievable excited for the new Harry Potter movie. I get out every time I see a preview. Or even a poster.

I also really excited for Transformers, but I'm afraid it's going to suck.

Up, Inglorious Bastards, and Year One look decent.

wannawrite
05-24-2009, 02:46 AM
Just saw Night at the Smithsonian today, with the kids. It was predictable, but didn't suck, mostly because I love Ben Stiller.

Can't wait for Transformers, tho

childeroland
05-24-2009, 02:51 AM
What is District 9 about? I've never heard of it. TToP123 looks good. The original was great and I'd like to see it.

In District 9, a number of aliens come to Earth and are made to live in a ghetto apart from humans -- district 9 and work. I believe we resent their presence because, besides their being aliens, we are forced to financially support them, and of course we don't know what they really want.

dgiharris
05-24-2009, 03:10 AM
In District 9, a number of aliens come to Earth and are made to live in a ghetto apart from humans -- district 9 and work. I believe we resent their presence because, besides their being aliens, we are forced to financially support them, and of course we don't know what they really want.

THe reason I'm psyched to see it, it feels 'real'. Doesn't feel like some campy alien sci-fi movie. It feels like the writing and direction is solid. Granted, I only saw a trailer, but that is my gut feeling.

and as a hardcore sci-fi fantasy fan, i'm kinda tired of the normal sci-fi movie. I want some depth.

Mel...

Zoombie
05-24-2009, 04:20 AM
Also, the entire cast, sets, script and cameras for District 9 have been stuffed with Jacksonium, the wonderus substance that was used to create the Lord of the Rings trilogy...

dgiharris
05-24-2009, 10:13 AM
After much thought and deliberation, I have to put T4 in the disappointment column.

They had an opportunity to do so much more, and T4 just doesn't have the 'soul' that T1 and T2 has.

As a summer movie, it is o.k. but as for being one of the greats, it is far from it.

Uggg, now i'm getting riled up again. I mean, T1 and T2 were REVOLUTIONARY films. I mean, they were films that everyone had to see.

T4, is just a movie that is the flavor of the month. A cash cow that the hollywood execs set out to milk until the udders pump out powdered white chalk...

Mel...

Wavy_Blue
05-24-2009, 10:47 AM
I'm a bit wary of District 9. I like the concept, but the way the trailer presented the subject was a bit...goofy. Talking heads? Documentary format? I felt like there was a joke right around the corner...but no, it was serious. *scratches head* I'm looking forward to when we get a real preview, though.

I do want to see Night at the Museum 2. I liked the first one. It's mindless fun, plus everyone I know who has seen it was very pleased with it.

katiemac
05-25-2009, 07:47 AM
The Hangover is going to do amazingly well. I've already seen it and it's really funny. Not to mention that the studio is 100% behind this movie.

Other than that ... Up and Harry Potter are responsible for the next big summer grosses. I suppose Transformers will do well, but the buzz just isn't there.

dgiharris
06-12-2009, 06:48 AM
So,

just saw Drag Me to Hell.

That movie had some good stuff in it. Overall, it was o.k. I think it could have been better. Be interested in what the Horror Buffs think about it.

Mel...

10er
06-12-2009, 03:38 PM
I am sooooooooo excited to see Ponyo. The trailer is just breathtaking, and I have yet to see a Miyazaki film I didn't like (the only one I haven't seen is Porco Rosso). Since it's his last project, I'm willing to bet it'll be simply spectacular.

Saw it in Japan last year.
Take a large insulin syringe with you or risk dying of sugary sweet cuteness overdose.

I mean that in a positive way. ;)

About my personal disappointments: T4. Man it was bad. But if you care, just look at the T4 thread.

maestrowork
06-12-2009, 05:35 PM
Disappointment so far: T4 and Wolverine. I knew LotL was going to suck, so no surprise there. Angels & Demons also sucked worse than I thought.

Surprise: Star Trek (didn't think it could be that good -- it's rare that I would see a Trek film more than twice).

Met Expectations: The Hangover, UP,

jodiodi
06-12-2009, 06:38 PM
We saw Drag Me to Hell. It was pretty OK. I was confused by the ending.

Of course within two hours of seeing the movie, I was in the ER with chest pain and an MI.

Funny, I never made the connection until now ...

RickN
06-12-2009, 10:40 PM
I agree with Land of the Lost being a little bit underrated...the movie might suck, but the series' fanbase might come out and make it majorly successful. I know my brothers-in-law have been geeking out over it for months.

Gotta disagree with you here. The series fanbase are like me: in their 40's now. Not exactly your typical Will Ferrell fan.

As I mentioned in another thread, my 5 sons and nephews (aged 12-20) all said the same thing last week after we saw the trailer -- the movie looks stupid. If Ferrell can't bring in the teenage demographic, the movie is toast.

maestrowork
06-12-2009, 11:13 PM
I think the poor box office and bad word of mouth settle the score for Lost of the Land.

dgiharris
06-13-2009, 01:49 AM
I think the poor box office and bad word of mouth settle the score for Lost of the Land.

Yeah,

After watching Drag Me to Hell, I was walking past the theater room of LotL and had no desire to stop in and have a look.

Mel...

maestrowork
06-13-2009, 04:52 AM
I did stop by after The Hangover and watched about 5 minutes... Dreadful.

naimas
06-13-2009, 05:37 AM
I saw UP in 3d. It was pretty good. But, it felt long to me and I didn't buy the old, old guy as the villain. I also hate movies that have us join a quest that the characters walk away from in the end. I also think that the old man and the kid would be arrested for driving around in a blimp. Then again, he would have been shot down for having a flying house. But, the house was a one way trip. The blimp was like being parked in a big city. I thought the opening movie was strange and I felt bad for the bird, not for the cloud. And my eyes were getting used to the 3D before UP even started.

It wasn't terrible, the humor was ON and the characters weren't terrible. I was just expecting a better second and third act.

Regarding T4 I thought the black and white look got old fast and also that Bale was rather stale. I LOVED the sound the rip off Transformer machine made, but other than that it felt gritty without much depth.

Star Trek was excellent, if a bit confusing. The bad guy was, well, I don't know if I liked him or not.

I actually liked Angels and Demons but Rance Howard was simply not working for being in Rome, he didn't even try to hide his country bumpkin accent that worked brilliantly in Ed Wood. Really, I expected him to trade his royal hat for a cowboy hat. (Is he related to Ron Howard??)

Watched a few minutes of Land of the Lost. Sets looked fake. End of story. I grew up with the old one and have fond memories. (That set looked fake too, I know, but what the hell, I was a kid at the time)

Leah_Michelle
06-13-2009, 08:25 AM
What? No one has mentioned The Final Destination (http://www.apple.com/trailers/newline/thefinaldestination/) as a disappointment for summer? :tongue
I don't know why Hollywood even bothers with that. No one liked it after the first one, yet they go on to make...what is this, the 5th one?
I started cracking up during the trailer where a chick gets killed by a tire of an exploding race car. All I could think of was Dane Cook, "What happened to Mary?" "A tire...hit her in the face." "What was she doing putting her face near tires?" "No, no, this tire hunted Mary down. This tire murdered Mary!"

DWSTXS
06-13-2009, 08:34 AM
I saw the trailier for District 9.

now that looks cool. I will probably see that in the theaters

Mel...

The plot to this sounds like they've remade Alien Nation (1988, with James Caan), which imho was an underrated movie, not too glitzy, but made you think about what would happen if aliens came and tried to integrate with us.

dgiharris
06-13-2009, 11:31 AM
The plot to this sounds like they've remade Alien Nation (1988, with James Caan), which imho was an underrated movie, not too glitzy, but made you think about what would happen if aliens came and tried to integrate with us.

Yeah, i'm game.

Ever notice how when aliens come to Earth they are always smarter, stronger, and faster than us.

Why is that.

Mel...

DWSTXS
06-13-2009, 09:54 PM
Yeah, i'm game.

Ever notice how when aliens come to Earth they are always smarter, stronger, and faster than us.

Why is that.

Mel...

because they were smart enough to figure out how to get here in the 1st place?

childeroland
06-13-2009, 11:15 PM
What? No one has mentioned The Final Destination (http://www.apple.com/trailers/newline/thefinaldestination/) as a disappointment for summer? :tongue
I don't know why Hollywood even bothers with that. No one liked it after the first one, yet they go on to make...what is this, the 5th one?
I started cracking up during the trailer where a chick gets killed by a tire of an exploding race car. All I could think of was Dane Cook, "What happened to Mary?" "A tire...hit her in the face." "What was she doing putting her face near tires?" "No, no, this tire hunted Mary down. This tire murdered Mary!"

I doubt anyone but core fans of the series (and maybe some 3D geeks) expected much from this.

Fokker Aeroplanbau
06-14-2009, 12:23 AM
9, Number Nine, #9? Tim Burton's first, flat out, action/adventure movie and it looks so awesome. I saw a preview of it a while back, saw one again this weekend, and it just looks great. I never liked Tim Burton, but the animation creates the exact amount of grandiose outrageousness while serious shading to make me love something - I never knew could exist.

District 9 I'll have to go see. I'm a "oh no! Aliens!" freak and I'll coral just about everyone I know to go see it. It looks great, but I can see how it has the potential to do poorly with a wider audience.

Taking of Pelham 123 was a horrible disappointment, ending was such cheesily predictable and done too many times.

Land of the Lost was exactly what I thought it was going to be. Classic Will Ferrell.

dgiharris
06-14-2009, 04:22 AM
because they were smart enough to figure out how to get here in the 1st place?

Not necessarily.

There is a difference between being more advanced, and being 'smarter'.

Basically, i'm talking about IQ. Aliens are always super genuises.

Wouldn't there be a distribution amoung the aliens. Some would be genuises, some would be average, a few would be morons?

But instead, the entire alien race is always a bunch of genuises.

hope that clarifies my point. Alien nation did a much better job of realistic portral than the typical Alien flick IMHO.

Mel...

DWSTXS
06-14-2009, 07:54 AM
Not necessarily.

There is a difference between being more advanced, and being 'smarter'.

Basically, i'm talking about IQ. Aliens are always super genuises.

Wouldn't there be a distribution amoung the aliens. Some would be genuises, some would be average, a few would be morons?

But instead, the entire alien race is always a bunch of genuises.

hope that clarifies my point. Alien nation did a much better job of realistic portral than the typical Alien flick IMHO.

Mel...

I guess most of us do always assume that an alien race capable of getting here would necessarily be smarter than us, and your point is good that there would be a distribution of intelligence among them (just as there is among himans).
However, I wonder if in their 'distribution' that even their dumbest would still be smarter than our best and brightest simply because any civilization advanced enough to get here would be so many years ahead of us intellectually anyway. That is what I wonder now that you've made me think more about alien intelligence.

My assertion that Alien Nation was a vastly underrated movie was exactly because of how they portrayed the Aliens characters, personality, intelligence. To me, it was very realistic.

BigWords
06-14-2009, 08:47 AM
I guess most of us do always assume that an alien race capable of getting here would necessarily be smarter than us, and your point is good that there would be a distribution of intelligence among them (just as there is among himans).
However, I wonder if in their 'distribution' that even their dumbest would still be smarter than our best and brightest simply because any civilization advanced enough to get here would be so many years ahead of us intellectually anyway. That is what I wonder now that you've made me think more about alien intelligence.

Aliens aren't smart. Look at the clues and they all point to the obvious conclusion that extraterrestrial life is as dumb as a rock. They fly their spaceships over inhabited areas (Mexico about ten years ago), they crash their ships (Tunguska), they cut up cows and (best of all) give anal probes to abductees.

They are the universe's equivalent to drunken Med students out on a stag night.

Leah_Michelle
06-14-2009, 10:22 AM
9, Number Nine, #9? Tim Burton's first, flat out, action/adventure movie and it looks so awesome. I saw a preview of it a while back, saw one again this weekend, and it just looks great. I never liked Tim Burton, but the animation creates the exact amount of grandiose outrageousness while serious shading to make me love something - I never knew could exist.

The trailer did look amazing...
...and it was playing Welcome Home by Coheed and Cambria :heart: