Surprise Hits and Disappointments for the Summer

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just saw a preview for Drag Me To Hell and thought that it has some potential to be a good movie.

So, with the upcoming Summer movies what are your thoughts?

What will be the Surprisingly good movies, and what will be the surprisingly bad movies?

Place your bets and prognosticate and opine.

Mel...

Wavy_Blue

Adventure is out there!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm starting to get really curious about the G.I. Joe movie. When I first saw the trailer I was really skeptical after watching it. But then I remembered I was really skeptical after seeing the trailer for Transformers (I actually laughed out loud) but that movie ended up kicking butt. Cinematic merits aside, it had high entertainment value and great effects. I'm hoping for something fun like that from G.I. Joe.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
My prediction is Land of the Lost will be just like the old TV series: unsurprisingly terrible.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I'm looking forward to 'Drag Me To Hell'. Throw a bunch of money at Sam Raimi? Lol! Very cool.

And the next Harry Potter installment looks like good fun.

I still haven't gotten to see 'Star Trek'.

Wavy_Blue

Adventure is out there!
Registered
Reaction score
And the next Harry Potter installment looks like good fun.

The most recent HP trailer is SO FREAKING AMAZING. I totally geeked out over it. The visuals look simply stunning, and man...it's gonna be good.

I agree with Land of the Lost being a little bit underrated...the movie might suck, but the series' fanbase might come out and make it majorly successful. I know my brothers-in-law have been geeking out over it for months.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I'm betting that The Crazies remake is going to either

A) Suck and be forgotten

or

B) Be like the original: Fucking amazing, ignored by the public.

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Not that I'll see it (and is it coming out this summer?) but Sandra Bullock's new film 'The Proposal' is starting to get buzzed about.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dance Flick might be surprisingly funny. I hope so, the whole dance movie genre needs a good punking.

Then again, it might be completely terrible, like White Chicks. Who knows?

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
Drag Me to Helllooks interesting. I'm so jaded on horror, though, it's hard to find a movie that scares me. Most are just boring slasher trash.

That's the only one I can think of I might go see. Still haven't see Star Trek and likely won't; too disappointed.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
Drag Me to Helllooks interesting. I'm so jaded on horror, though, it's hard to find a movie that scares me. Most are just boring slasher trash.

That's the only one I can think of I might go see. Still haven't see Star Trek and likely won't; too disappointed.

Now playing in a theater near you, Drag Jodiodi to Star Trek.

Also, you better hope Jcomp doesn't see your bash of his genre. He can get onery. Did you see "The Ring"

As for Land of the Lost. Will Ferrel can carry a movie. At first glance, I thought it looked stupid, but I think Will can pull it off. I don't think this will be a blockbuster, but I do think it will do 'well' and get good fan reviews. Something tells me the critics won't like it though.

Mel...

Last edited:

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com

IN WHAT?!

What the hell could have to be disappointed in, with Star Trek??!??!?!!?!?!?!??!!

!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!!?!??!?!?!?!

!

History_Chick

Registered
Reaction score
Its all about the 80s baby!

Transformers and GI Joe.

I can't wait for either of them.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
Its all about the 80s baby!

Transformers and GI Joe.

I can't wait for either of them.

At first I was psyched to see GI Joe, but the trailer screams "Special Effects Movie" to me. A part of me thinks they didn't really write a good script, but rather just threw in a bunch of effects and explosions. I hope i'm wrong, but I don't think it will good or bad, just "meah" so-so.

Transformers will not be as good as the first one. Similar to the Matrix part II, some of the novelty will have worn off and I don't think the script will make up for it. Again, I think it will be meah though the special effects will be awesome!

History_Chick

Registered
Reaction score
I never liked the Matrix :)

I personally like big explosions in my summer movies, but I can understand how some would not enjoy it.

Mindless summer fun is what I like to see.

aquacat

Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking Up will be a success, and I'm hoping that Miyazaki's Ponyo is a surprise hit.

On the other hand, I'm really hoping Year One will tank. I like Jack Black and Michael Cera, but jokes about slavery and clubbing women? Really? No more misogocomedies, thanks.

Wavy_Blue

Adventure is out there!
Registered
Reaction score
I am sooooooooo excited to see Ponyo. The trailer is just breathtaking, and I have yet to see a Miyazaki film I didn't like (the only one I haven't seen is Porco Rosso). Since it's his last project, I'm willing to bet it'll be simply spectacular.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
Saw Trek today. It was decent. My husband (who knows nothing about Trek) loved it. I kept having to explain stuff to him.

I don't know if I loved it, but I didn't hate it so it was nice. I've been a Trek fan since TOS. Loved TNG, but the others were boring.

We want to see Drag Me to Hell.

Mechasa

Registered
Reaction score
I think Drag Me to Hell looks like it could be good fun. I like Sam Raimi more in Evil Dead mode than in Spiderman mode. It's hard to tell from the trailer how much humour is in this one though.

Also looking forward to Terminator Salvation (even though it's getting mixed reviews), Inglourious Basterds, Up (eager to see a Pixar movie in 3D) and Land of the Lost.

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
I'm mostly looking forward to Up and the new Harry Potter. And Drag Me to Hell. I love horror movies; I think this one looks like it'll be pretty good.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
I saw the trailier for District 9.

now that looks cool. I will probably see that in the theaters

Mel...

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
I actually think Julia & Julia will be a runaway surprise.

Nora Ephron + blogging + Adams & Streep + Julia Child = female stampede?