Sole Proprietorship

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoomieBey

Registered
Reaction score
I'm interested in establishing a sole proprietorship in Maryland, to sell my books via Lightning Source, as opposed to dealing with Lulu, Create Space, etc Has anyone established one for this purpose? What will I need to file? What would be the out of pocket expenses? I don't have a partner, nor am I employing anyone; it's just me.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Short answer: get thee to a CPA

Longer answer: SCORE (service corps of retired executives) is run by the SBA (small business administration). They offer free or low-cost consulting for people considering or running a small business. Look for them in the phone book where the federal government listings are. I am not familiar with MD rules, so don't know what their requirements might be. The IRS does not have any special requirements for sole proprietors.

MM

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
I'm interested in establishing a sole proprietorship in Maryland, to sell my books via Lightning Source, as opposed to dealing with Lulu, Create Space, etc Has anyone established one for this purpose? What will I need to file? What would be the out of pocket expenses? I don't have a partner, nor am I employing anyone; it's just me.
You probably need a business license.

See http://www.blis.state.md.us/BusinessStartup.aspx

That is the place to start.

In particular:

If registering a general partnership or sole proprietorship, call (410) 767-4991.

--Ken

windyrdg

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
capearagopress.com
I'm not a CPA and don't want to offer tax advice over the internet, but here are a few thoughts.

A sole proprietorship requires no incorporation. It's usually referred to as a DBA...Doing Business As. You will remain personally responsible for all obligations of the company. You can file a separate income statement and meld it into your yearly IRS filing. Any losses you incur may be used to reduce your net taxable income and, of course, all profits will be added to your other income and taxed at your personal rate. If you have equipment it can be depreciated and other reasonable expenses can be charged against the DBA's gross income.

The IRS has a booklet explaining the process. before you pay for adivce you should check it out. You also might want to draw up a form stating you intend to do business as (for instance) Doomie's Books and file it with your County Recorder. Whether you need a business license or not will depend on your local laws.

The IRS' primary criteria are "Is this a hobby or a real business?" and "When can you reasonably expect to earn a profit?" You can't go on reporting a loss year after year and keep deducting it. That said, you can go into a venture with the expectation of profit and incur a loss instead.

Good Luck.
Peace and Blessings

DoomieBey

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you [all] for the information. I may be leaning toward's forming a LLC. I'll post the results for anyone that may need the info in the future.

windyrdg

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
capearagopress.com
Don't let people tell you that you have to pay a lawyer to form a corporation. I've done it several times without help. Find out from your Secretary of State what forms are required...usually the articles of incorporation and one or more of their forms such as name and address of directors, etc. Provide those and a check for the filing fees and you'll get your Certificate of Incorporation in the mail.

You can find examples of the Articles in a library book.

One other thought. I'm currently exploring self-pub options myself. If you establish a company you'll want a website in the company's name, a PO Box or, better yet, a box at a mail drop where you have a street address and "suite" #, and possibly letterhead, invoices, etc. There's a cost and hassle to each one of those and they will have to be maintained as long as you remain in business.

Given that most self-pubbed books sell less than 50 copies, it's an endeavor not to be undertaken lightly.

Peace and Blessings

DoomieBey

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. A friend of mine and his wife were told that they needed to solicit the services of a lawyer to form a LLC. They paid the attorney a total of about $1140 to file the necessary forms, etc. When it came to them signing the forms, they realized that the actual forms had the fees on them! All the attorney did was order the forms and fill in the blanks. My friend has his own tow truck, so he work's for himself and has not hired anyone. This is what I'm trying to aviod. Thanks again.
Don't let people tell you that you have to pay a lawyer to form a corporation. I've done it several times without help. Find out from your Secretary of State what forms are required...usually the articles of incorporation and one or more of their forms such as name and address of directors, etc. Provide those and a check for the filing fees and you'll get your Certificate of Incorporation in the mail.

You can find examples of the Articles in a library book.

One other thought. I'm currently exploring self-pub options myself. If you establish a company you'll want a website in the company's name, a PO Box or, better yet, a box at a mail drop where you have a street address and "suite" #, and possibly letterhead, invoices, etc. There's a cost and hassle to each one of those and they will have to be maintained as long as you remain in business.

Given that most self-pubbed books sell less than 50 copies, it's an endeavor not to be undertaken lightly.

Peace and Blessings

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, you can find self-incorporation forms at either Office Max or Office Depot for under $100. Even with the correct filing fees, it's still cheaper than hiring a lawyer.

DoomieBey

Registered
Reaction score
Didn't know that either. I've gone to the Secretary of State web site a few times, but simply cannont understand wich forms to download. There is an email address provided that allows you to ask questions; and they respond within a day. But the response was to go online and download the forms (lol). It was almost as if it was a template-generated response. I've decided to form a LLC, but it looks like I'm going to hire someone, because I'll end up spending more money than I should by filling out the wrong forms.
Yeah, you can find self-incorporation forms at either Office Max or Office Depot for under $100. Even with the correct filing fees, it's still cheaper than hiring a lawyer.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Didn't know that either. I've gone to the Secretary of State web site a few times, but simply cannont understand wich forms to download. There is an email address provided that allows you to ask questions; and they respond within a day. But the response was to go online and download the forms (lol). It was almost as if it was a template-generated response. I've decided to form a LLC, but it looks like I'm going to hire someone, because I'll end up spending more money than I should by filling out the wrong forms.
States are being whacked financially, and MD is probably no exception, so that might be affecting response quality and timeliness.

Why have you chosen LLC rather than sole proprietorship? With no employees and such a simple sort of business, I am not clear on why you would make that choice, or at least, do so right off the bat. Are there risks involved in the book(s) you plan to publish? (Libel, copyright issues, etc.)

--Ken

DoomieBey

Registered
Reaction score
You [Research Guy] have been very helpful. I only plan to write one book, so I figured that sole proprietorship would be the way to go. But as I stated, I've gone on the Maryland website and just don't understand what I'm supposed to be getting. There is no risk of libel because the book is not about anyone in particular; nor would there be copywright infringement, as I am not using stats, excerpts, public opinion poles, etc. I'm told that all I have to do is say that I'm officially a sole proprietorship and that's that. But there has to be more, doesn't it? And yes, I'm a high school graduate:poke:.

JanDarby

Registered
Reaction score
Generally speaking, "sole proprietorship" is just a fancy way of saying "one-person business." It's kind of the default, unless other steps are taken to form the business (e.g., corporation, LLC, partnership agreement).

In some states, you may need to register with the local authorities (town hall or county clerk), or, if you're using a name for the business, other than just your own name, a "d/b/a certificate," (Doing Business As), which is basically just a statement that Person A is doing business as Such-and-such-name," so if anyone wanted to sue you, they could find you.

You may also want to look into getting a tax identification number if you'll be selling any books at events in your state and will need to collect sales tax.

JD, not giving individual legal advice, just general information.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, yeah. LLC is a bit more complicated than sole proprietorship. I'm not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV, but you still might be able to DIY.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
. . . But there has to be more, doesn't it? . . . .
For whatever it is worth, in California, I needed a business license from the city (and probably would in most cities and counties in the state). I also needed a "home occupation" permit because I work from my home (simple bit of additional paperwork, since I don't generate traffic or manufacture anything or the like), an add-on to the business license. I got the license when all I intended to do was editing and related services, but it was simple to add on publishing when I started doing that (on a very small scale) last year.

Because I am selling taxable things (books) directly, I need a California seller's permit, and have to collect and remit sales tax. (I did not need the seller's permit during the years when all I offered was nontaxable services.) MD has a sales tax, and presumably pretty similar requirements.

I joined my local chamber of commerce very early on (shortly after I started the business), but I doubt that would be useful for what you propose. But it might be if your audience is local business people.

I use my own name in the business, and nothing else that triggers a fictitious name permit requirement. If I were, say, SuperDooper Publishing, I'd need the fictitious name permit, which would require some paperwork, a fee to the county, and the expense of publishing notice in a suitable newspaper.

I bought some business cards (nothing fancy), but don't bother with letterhead (I print what I need on my inkjet).

I have bought pens with business name as promotional handouts (probably not something useful for you, and not particularly useful for me, either).

Business income and expenses are reported on Schedule C, along with the rest of your tax return. If you keep careful, accurate records, then you should have no difficulty, whether you do your own or have your taxes done by a tax service or accountant. However, you should learn the ins and outs. For example:

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=109807,00.html

http://www.smallbusinessadvocate.com/small-business-articles/beware-of-the-hobby-loss-rule-2023

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p535/ch01.html

Note the rules about deducting losses. There are some catches. And of course some kinds of deductions are audit triggers (home office deduction being a biggie).

If I were you, I'd chat with folks at the local SCORE office (you can track one down via www.score.org to help you get organized and to figure out what you need to do. Chances are, it is pretty similar in MD to what is required in CA. But not necessarily.

Thousands and thousands, if not millions, of folks run small businesses as sole proprietorships. You might want to get a book on starting a small business (Nolo Press publishes such books) and read about the ins and outs and options.

--Ken

DoomieBey

Registered
Reaction score
Now this is information that I can understand. Thank you. I just joined Scores, so I should be on my way.
For whatever it is worth, in California, I needed a business license from the city (and probably would in most cities and counties in the state). I also needed a "home occupation" permit because I work from my home (simple bit of additional paperwork, since I don't generate traffic or manufacture anything or the like), an add-on to the business license. I got the license when all I intended to do was editing and related services, but it was simple to add on publishing when I started doing that (on a very small scale) last year.

Because I am selling taxable things (books) directly, I need a California seller's permit, and have to collect and remit sales tax. (I did not need the seller's permit during the years when all I offered was nontaxable services.) MD has a sales tax, and presumably pretty similar requirements.

I joined my local chamber of commerce very early on (shortly after I started the business), but I doubt that would be useful for what you propose. But it might be if your audience is local business people.

I use my own name in the business, and nothing else that triggers a fictitious name permit requirement. If I were, say, SuperDooper Publishing, I'd need the fictitious name permit, which would require some paperwork, a fee to the county, and the expense of publishing notice in a suitable newspaper.

I bought some business cards (nothing fancy), but don't bother with letterhead (I print what I need on my inkjet).

I have bought pens with business name as promotional handouts (probably not something useful for you, and not particularly useful for me, either).

Business income and expenses are reported on Schedule C, along with the rest of your tax return. If you keep careful, accurate records, then you should have no difficulty, whether you do your own or have your taxes done by a tax service or accountant. However, you should learn the ins and outs. For example:

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=109807,00.html

http://www.smallbusinessadvocate.com/small-business-articles/beware-of-the-hobby-loss-rule-2023

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p535/ch01.html

Note the rules about deducting losses. There are some catches. And of course some kinds of deductions are audit triggers (home office deduction being a biggie).

If I were you, I'd chat with folks at the local SCORE office (you can track one down via www.score.org to help you get organized and to figure out what you need to do. Chances are, it is pretty similar in MD to what is required in CA. But not necessarily.

Thousands and thousands, if not millions, of folks run small businesses as sole proprietorships. You might want to get a book on starting a small business (Nolo Press publishes such books) and read about the ins and outs and options.

--Ken

jfreedan

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, yeah. LLC is a bit more complicated than sole proprietorship. I'm not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV, but you still might be able to DIY.

LLC are very easy to form. I've formed several. All you have to do is draft an operating agreement and send a form into your state's corporation office. You can download everything you need from the state corporation website. Registeration normally costs about 100$ and there is an annual filing fee as well. That's about it. Some states also require you to keep meeting notes and such, but some states do not. All of this is normally explained on the state website.

Both the operating agreement and meeting notes are not things you need to show anyone when you register; they are only documents you'll need if your operation comes under review, or you get sued, or you want to sell shares, or whatever.

A sole proprietorship offers you no legal protection. If someone sues your LLC, they can only sue the company and your private assets will not be touched. Likewise, if someone sues you they cannot sue the LLC. If someone sues you when you are a sole proprietor, they are suing you as an individual and could potentially take every asset you own, like your house, car and so forth. Maybe even the publishing and royalty rights to your copyrighted work-- which is why they should be secured inside an LLC.

With an LLC, you are taxed you like an individual, so it's fairly easy to file taxes for. I honestly believe everyone should have an LLC to keep their important assets in, just in case someone tries to take you to court for something ridiculous, they won't be able to take your house, car, boat, etc and so forth if you happen to lose. The unfortunate thing about law is that both lawyer and judge quality is not consistent and sometimes judgments are made that shouldn't have been made. That's why there are appellate courts.

Last edited:

DoomieBey

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I'm begining to understand with a bit of clarity. I'm never one to pretend to understand, when in fact I don't. So thanks.
LLC are very easy to form. I've formed several. All you have to do is draft an operating agreement and send a form into your state's corporation office. You can download everything you need from the state corporation website. Registeration normally costs about 100$ and there is an annual filing fee as well. That's about it. Some states also require you to keep meeting notes and such, but some states do not. All of this is normally explained on the state website.

Both the operating agreement and meeting notes are not things you need to show anyone when you register; they are only documents you'll need if your operation comes under review, or you get sued, or you want to sell shares, or whatever.

A sole proprietorship offers you no legal protection. If someone sues your LLC, they can only sue the company and your private assets will not be touched. Likewise, if someone sues you they cannot sue the LLC. If someone sues you when you are a sole proprietor, they are suing you as an individual and could potentially take every asset you own, like your house, car and so forth. Maybe even the publishing and royalty rights to your copyrighted work-- which is why they should be secured inside an LLC.

With an LLC, you are taxed you like an individual, so it's fairly easy to file taxes for. I honestly believe everyone should have an LLC to keep their important assets in, just in case someone tries to take you to court for something ridiculous, they won't be able to take your house, car, boat, etc and so forth if you happen to lose. The unfortunate thing about law is that both lawyer and judge quality is not consistent and sometimes judgments are made that shouldn't have been made. That's why there are appellate courts.

Status
Not open for further replies.