PDA

View Full Version : Summer Blockbuster 2009: Who will be king?

Wavy_Blue
05-21-2009, 03:55 AM
We've already seen several blockbusters of this season hit us already. Star Trek, X-Men Origins: Wolverine and Angels and Demons have all proved strong blockbusters, but the summer is young.

In Summer 2009, we will see the release of:

Terminator Salvation (May 22)
Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian (May 22)
Up (May 29)
Land of the Lost (June 3)
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (June 24)
Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs (July 1)
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (July 15)
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra (August 7)

All of these films will be major blockbusters. But which one do you think will take the crown as the highest grossing movie of Summer (and probably all of) 2009?

Harry Potter is definitely a high contender. Fans have been starved for this film for months. But Transformers is going to pull a huge audience as well. But repeat viewings seem to be very popular with Star Trek, so maybe this will push it into the top spot.

Your thoughts?

dclary
05-21-2009, 04:18 AM
LOL.

You put GI Joe on that list? Hell, why not "Land of the Lost" then, too? Oh! You did! LOL. Sorry.

Trek is going to set a very high standard.

Potter and Transformers will vie with it for #1.

The rest is all sloppy seconds.

childeroland
05-21-2009, 04:20 AM
Harry Potter or Transformers, probably the former.

Enzo
05-21-2009, 06:20 AM
Star Trek is off to a good start, but Transformers will have the marketing campaign and Harry Potter the fanbase.
Personally, I thought Trek was ok but I don't care for any of the others. They're just noise, CGI and scrap metal.

James81
05-21-2009, 06:59 AM
If I had to pick something off that list, I'd go with Terminator. But I get the feeling that it's not going to do all that great.

CACTUSWENDY
05-21-2009, 07:01 AM
Harry Potter.....

jodiodi
05-21-2009, 08:03 AM
Probably Harry Potter. Those movies always break records.

dgiharris
05-21-2009, 08:24 AM
How could you miss the obvious winner.

UP!!!!

Don't get me wrong. I love Star Trek and I can't wait for Terminator, but there is something about UP

I mean, at first glance I had no interest in seeing it, until I saw a preview, looks incredibly well written.

Plus it will draw the kid crowd as well. DO you know how many parents are going to HAVE to take their kids.

This movie has the widest demographic as well.

So, if I have to put my money on one of these horses, I gotta put it on UP

Mel...

dgiharris
05-21-2009, 10:22 AM
O.k.

I just saw another preview of Terminator.

Now I don't know LOL :) It looks really good, but trailers can make anything look good.

UP on the other hand "Feels Good". I can't explain it, but I KNOW UP will be good.

But Terminator looks awesome. Now I'm torn.

I'll let you know after this weekend LOL

Mel...

Mel...

som1luvsmi
06-12-2009, 09:16 AM
I would like to throw into the ring The Hangover. I hear nothing but good reviews about it, the clips are funny, and it's by the same guy who did Old School, which is one of my favorite movies.

If anyone sees this movie before I do(which there is a good chance of, unfortunately) please let me know what you think.

I don't think for one second that it will outrun UP, but I definitely think that it will be up there.

mkcbunny
06-12-2009, 09:25 AM
The key is having both breakout $$ and BO legs. Trek's done well.
Wolverine and T4 suck, so they won't last.
Transformers will open well, and it looks better than #1, so it has a chance.
Up will have legs, but it's not quite Wall-E.
Potter has both the opening and repeat viewers, but most of the fans will HAVE to go early.

The "legs" bet goes with Up, the movie most likely to draw people over the long haul. But that may not compensate for Pottermania. Up does have a few weeks out of the gate before Transformers or Potter, though. Trek opened early, so it's got a head start.

My guess by Labor Day count:
Potter
Up
Trek

dgiharris
06-12-2009, 09:28 AM
The key is having both breakout $$ and BO legs. Trek's done well.
Wolverine and T4 suck, so they won't last.
Transformers will open well, and it looks better than #1, so it has a chance.
Up will have legs, but it's not quite Wall-E.
Potter has both the opening and repeat viewers, but most of the fans will HAVE to go early.

The "legs" bet goes with Up, the movie most likely to draw people over the long haul....

Saw UP again today. Theater was 1/2 packed, and everyone loved it of course. 1/2 of us were repeat viewers.

Mel...

mkcbunny
06-12-2009, 09:33 AM
The sticky point with Up is the title. Because it doesn't stick.

Leah_Michelle
06-12-2009, 10:58 AM
I think it's going to be Harry Potter, followed by Transformers, Trek, then UP. Just my predictions.

maestrowork
06-12-2009, 04:42 PM
1. Harry Potter: $280M
2. Transformers: $265M
3. Star Trek: $250M
4. UP: $220M