PDA

View Full Version : So what happens when you submit a proposal?

Juneluv12
05-21-2009, 03:54 AM
Okay,

Lately, for both my YA and Literary Fiction, I've submitted proposals along with the sample chapters. Here's my question:

So, once they read the sample chapters, your platorm, synopsis, and then chapter summaries, do they request the full manuscript, or do they say, "You suck" or "I'd like to offer representation." How does it go?

I plead ignorance in this area!!!! :)

ChaosTitan
05-21-2009, 04:00 AM
If they're interested, they'll ask for a full.

If not, they'll probably just send a rejection letter.

It's very rare that an agent will offer representation on a proposal, without reading the entire manuscript (but I want to say it has happened, I just can't think of an example).

Palmfrond
05-21-2009, 07:55 AM
You sound like you're familiar with non-fiction publishing. Welcome to fiction! Don't query until your novel is done, edited, beta-read, edited, beta-read again, edited again, lather, rinse, repeat, until nothing more could possibly improve it. Then query agents. They will ask for more changes anyway, but don't query them until you've got the best novel you can write.

Juneluv12
05-21-2009, 04:32 PM
You sound like you're familiar with non-fiction publishing. Welcome to fiction! Don't query until your novel is done, edited, beta-read, edited, beta-read again, edited again, lather, rinse, repeat, until nothing more could possibly improve it. Then query agents. They will ask for more changes anyway, but don't query them until you've got the best novel you can write.

Um, no I'm not familiar with non-fiction. The novel is finished, edited, and all. I just wondered what happened once they've read the partial, your synopsis, and a blow by blow in the chapter summaries. I had pretty in depth chapter summaries for both the adult and the YA novel. I didn't know if they would need the see the rest.

Juneluv12
05-21-2009, 04:33 PM
If they're interested, they'll ask for a full.

If not, they'll probably just send a rejection letter.

It's very rare that an agent will offer representation on a proposal, without reading the entire manuscript (but I want to say it has happened, I just can't think of an example).

Thanks for the information, ChaosTitan. I didn't think they would necessarily offer representation, but I just wondered how the process went.

YAwriter72
05-21-2009, 04:44 PM
:) Typically. Query, synopsis, first three chapters (Or so), R the partial or request the full, R the full or call to talk!

Juneluv12
05-21-2009, 05:19 PM
Actually, these wanted my target audience, marketing plan, uniqueness, my bio, writing credentials, plus chapter summaries for the entire book.

I would think once they'd read the chapter summaries, which go more in depth than a synopsis, the synopsis, and all, they'd have a good idea that aliens don't show up in Chapter. 42!!! :)

YAwriter72
05-21-2009, 05:21 PM
Whoa. I didn't talk about any of that until after I signed! Hopefully that means your close!