Quick Proposal Questions from a Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

WriteSuzyWrite

Registered
Reaction score
I've pulled together a couple of non-fiction book proposals that I sent directly to publishers -- both potential books are more academic/professional than general interest. For one of the proposals, the acquisitions editor has set up a date to call me to ask some "preliminary questions" about the proposal. Is this a "good" sign or more of a "don't get your hopes up, kid" sign? Also, would anyone have an idea of what the "preliminary questions" might be that an editor would need to ask? I just want to make sure I'm somewhat prepared for the call and don't end up sounding totally clueless!

tonyajwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
Hello. I don't have the answer to that question but I wanted to ask a question. How did you find the information to directly contact publishers? Do you have any information that you can share?

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Any time an editor calls you, it's a very good thing. Be prepared to discuss your book, how you'll research it, how you'll write it, and how fast you can do it.

susangpyp

Registered
Reaction score
My editor asked me about the marketing section and also about any follow-up books. There were some places she wanted more specifics (again, marketing and followup). She also wanted to know if I could deliver a manuscript in 4 months (which is less time than usual). So it was a very good sign. Nothing unusual.

Status
Not open for further replies.