PDA

View Full Version : THROWDOWN: Rate the Treks

dclary
05-20-2009, 10:36 PM
SMACKDOWN DISCLAIMER: It is PERFECTLY ACCEPTABLE IN THIS THREAD TO TELL EVERYONE ELSE HOW WRONG THEY ARE.

Ok, based on the other Star Trek thread: Rate them. Here and now, for all time. Let the throwdown begin:

BEST star trek films, in order, best to worst:

Star Trek II: Khan (TOS)
Star Trek XI: Trek v.2 (Reboot)
Star Trek IV: Whales (TOS)
Star Trek VI: Shakespearian Klingons (TOS)
Star Trek VIII: Borg (TNG)
Star Trek I: V'ger (TOS)
Star Trek V: Spock's Brother (TOS)
Star Trek III: Resurrected Spock (TOS)
Star Trek VII: They Fucking Killed Kirk HOW? (TNG)
Star Trek IX: Insane Data (TNG)
Star Trek X: AKA "Ok, we're totally out of ideas." (TNG)

James81
05-20-2009, 10:47 PM
I've been waiting for this. I want to watch all the old Treks now, but have no idea what they were called. :D (I wanted to watch them in order, I mean)

childeroland
05-20-2009, 10:52 PM
Isn't almost everyone just going to say, roughly, IV, II, , then maybe III and VI followed by the reboot and then everything else (or the reboot followed by III and VI, then everything else)?

Sophia
05-20-2009, 10:54 PM
I disagree with your rankings!

Best to worst, not including the new one as I haven't seen it yet (but hopefully will soon):

VIII: First Contact - Borg, action and danger, great stuff
I: V'ger, bit of romance, liked it
VII: Picard and Kirk and Whoopi Goldberg; got caught up, Kirk's death a total tearjerker
II: Khan, for the ending especially
IV: Whales, fun
III: Spock story continued, nice
VI: Klingons, not bad
V: Search for God, absolutely terrible
IX, X, XI: I've completely forgotten them. That's never happened for anything else I've seen in the cinema. I'm going to assume they were so bad my memory rebelled.

ad_lucem
05-20-2009, 10:57 PM
Star Trek 2009
Star Trek II
Star Trek III
Star Trek VII
Star Trek IV
All the rest are on tied for last place, except for the first Star Trek movie, which I cannot stand for reasons I don't understand.

dclary
05-20-2009, 11:04 PM
Isn't almost everyone just going to say, roughly, IV, II, , then maybe III and VI followed by the reboot and then everything else (or the reboot followed by III and VI, then everything else)?

No.

dclary
05-20-2009, 11:05 PM
I disagree with your rankings!

Best to worst, not including the new one as I haven't seen it yet (but hopefully will soon):

VIII: First Contact - Borg, action and danger, great stuff
I: V'ger, bit of romance, liked it
VII: Picard and Kirk and Whoopi Goldberg; got caught up, Kirk's death a total tearjerker
II: Khan, for the ending especially
IV: Whales, fun
III: Spock story continued, nice
VI: Klingons, not bad
V: Search for God, absolutely terrible
IX, X, XI: I've completely forgotten them. That's never happened for anything else I've seen in the cinema. I'm going to assume they were so bad my memory rebelled.

Wow. You are *so* wrong!

DeleyanLee
05-20-2009, 11:13 PM
Best

Tolerable

Didn't like the spin-off series so didn't bother with the movies

Cyia
05-20-2009, 11:15 PM
BEST star trek films, in order, best to worst:

These are the only one's I've seen, so:

The new Star Trek
Khan (which I was forced to watch in school)
Whales.

maestrowork
05-20-2009, 11:19 PM
I can't remember all of them... but here's my partial list:

XI - the only Trek movie I've seen three times during its initial theatrical run
Khan
First Contact
Whales

Worse:
Insurrection
Nemesis
Search for God (please!)
Kirk dies

ChunkyC
05-20-2009, 11:22 PM
Star Trek films, best to worst:

Star Trek II: "The Wrath of Khan" Why number 1? Khan, of course.
Star Trek XI: "Star Trek" totally bitchin' reboot
Star Trek VIII: "First Contact" the Borg finally make it to the big screen
Star Trek IV: "The Voyage Home" funny and totally entertaining, despite the recycled 'a probe of unknown origin is heading towards Earth' idea
Star Trek VI: "The Undiscovered Country" a Klingon general quoting Shakespeare and a cool mystery story to boot
Star Trek I: "The Motion Picture" Trek on the big screen for the first time, with a probe of unknown origin heading toward Earth
Star Trek III: "The Search for Spock" pretty good, Christopher Lloyd as a Klingon was inspired casting
Star Trek VII: "Generations" not too bad, but I was hoping for a better first movie for the next gen crew
Star Trek IX: "Insurrection" a real indication there was something seriously wrong with the franchise
Star Trek X: "Nemesis" had this been the only Trek movie, it might have been good, but it was filled to the brim with stuff we'd seen a dozen times before
Star Trek V: "The Final Frontier" great opening sequence, in the crapper from then on - just terrible all around. the only trek movie I own that I only watched once

MattW
05-20-2009, 11:24 PM
http://www.toybender.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/khan.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c7/General_Chang.JPG

http://thegoldenspiral.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/humpback_whale_02.jpg

The rest are just:Shrug:

dclary
05-20-2009, 11:39 PM
Best

Tolerable

Didn't like the spin-off series so didn't bother with the movies

You win! :D

dpaterso
05-20-2009, 11:53 PM
Can't we simply agree, with hindsight and sanity, that these films were all varying degrees of self-indulgent, self-parodying and oft-embarrassing crap? Stay your weapons! I speak as a lifelong TOS fan, with slightly lesser nostalgic affection for ST:TNG.

-Derek

dclary
05-21-2009, 12:06 AM
Can't we simply agree, with hindsight and sanity, that these films were all varying degrees of self-indulgent, self-parodying and oft-embarrassing crap? Stay your weapons! I speak as a lifelong TOS fan, with slightly lesser nostalgic affection for ST:TNG.

-Derek

Khan was not self-indulgent, nor self-parodying (except, maybe for montalban's rich corinthian leather breasts).

Jersey Chick
05-21-2009, 12:16 AM
I've only seen the Whale one... it wins by default. But I also loved it. :D

James81
05-21-2009, 12:17 AM

-Derek

I was always more of a Star Wars fan myself.

ChunkyC
05-21-2009, 12:25 AM
Now that I think about it, I should have put Galaxy Quest at number one.

http://www.ugo.com/dvd/guide-to-spoofs/images/galaxy-quest.jpg

Zoombie
05-21-2009, 12:27 AM
By grapthar's hammer, you shall be...AVENGED!

Writer2011
05-21-2009, 12:32 AM
Well I've seen all of them but my favorite would have to be Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan Beyond that I can't really rank them...Star Trek III was decent..

But I have to admit, this new one (even though it's an odd number) was AWESOME...it ranks right up there with Khan!!!

ChunkyC
05-21-2009, 12:48 AM
Khan was not self-indulgent, nor self-parodying (except, maybe for montalban's rich corinthian leather breasts).
Oh, I think he is more than a little self-indulgent.

le wrath di Khan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xga_wchTpW8)

dclary
05-21-2009, 01:19 AM

So true.

It's amazingly great.

dclary
05-21-2009, 01:20 AM
Oh, I think he is more than a little self-indulgent.

le wrath di Khan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xga_wchTpW8)

I meant the movie itself, not him.

ChunkyC
05-21-2009, 01:22 AM
Ah. Still, you must admit Khan is fabulous as Italian opera.

dclary
05-21-2009, 01:22 AM
I was always more of a Star Wars fan myself.

That one's easy to rate:

1st. Star Wars
2nd. Empire
3rd. Jedi

9,999,997th. Pod Racing and Jar Jar
9,999,998th. Clones and MORE Robots
9,999,999th. Nooooooooooooooooooooo!

shawkins
05-21-2009, 01:27 AM
I'm in general agreement with most of the posters here, with one important exception:

The Borg One SUCKED!!!!

THE BORG DO NOT HAVE A QUEEN!! Yes, yes, I know that Alice Krieg was creepy hawt in Sleepwalkers, and thus a good casting choice for a Borg queen. While true, this manages to completely miss the point that THE BORG DO NOT HAVE A QUEEN!!! They're a !@$%^@! collective!!! That's why they're scary! No individuality, remember?!?!? Remember back in TNG when they first met the borg and they talked all at once like an evil barbershop quartet? Remember how creepy & original that was? WELL I DO!!!! AND I MISS IT!!! If I wanted a $^**! wicked queen I'd watch Snow #^*!ing White or listen to A Night At the Opera.

Therefore, First Contact sucked and belongs at the bottom.

I'm not one of these people who gets all in a tizzy when Picard wipes his butt with the prime directive AGAIN or throws a brick when Brent Spiner tries to laugh, but you have to draw the line somewhere. For God's sake, people.

dclary
05-21-2009, 01:33 AM
I'm in general agreement with most of the posters here, with one important exception:

The Borg One SUCKED!!!!

THE BORG DO NOT HAVE A QUEEN!! Yes, yes, I know that Alice Krieg was creepy hawt in Sleepwalkers, and thus a good casting choice for a Borg queen. While true, this manages to completely miss the point that THE BORG DO NOT HAVE A QUEEN!!! They're a !@$%^@! collective!!! That's why they're scary! No individuality, remember?!?!? Remember back in TNG when they first met the borg and they talked all at once like an evil barbershop quartet? Remember how creepy & original that was? WELL I DO!!!! AND I MISS IT!!! If I wanted a $^**! wicked queen I'd watch Snow #^*!ing White or listen to A Night At the Opera.

I'm not one of these people who gets all in a tizzy when Picard wipes his butt with the prime directive AGAIN or throws a brick when Brent Spiner tries to laugh, but you have to draw the line somewhere. For God's sake, people.

We are brothers, Macleod!

Claudia Gray
05-21-2009, 01:46 AM
My top five are:

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
Star Trek XI, aka, Reboot City
Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (which IMHO gets short shrift)
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

I loved TNG as a series, and think it overall stands up better than TOS the TV show, but they never really made a top-notch TNG movie, unfortunately.

ChunkyC
05-21-2009, 01:48 AM
THE BORG DO NOT HAVE A QUEEN!!
Um, like, the Borg queen was a new construct meant for dealing with humans? A targeted weapon, so to speak? And if memory serves, nowhere in the film do the Borg actually say she is their Queen, as in their leader. I think she does toy with Data when he says something along those lines, but that could easily just be the Borg messing with his head.

At this point in the Trek universe, the Borg have had a number of dealings with humanity and have yet to assimilate them. Add to that the obvious effects contact with humans has had on the collective (remember Hugh? Locutus?), and it is easily conceivable that the collective might start to evolve, giving rise to the Borg queen.

At least that's how I saw it.

childeroland
05-21-2009, 01:51 AM
Yeah, what the hell was that Frankenstein moment in Sith? Lucas, seriously?

9,999,997th. Pod Racing and Jar Jar
9,999,998th. Clones and MORE Robots
9,999,999th. Nooooooooooooooooooooo!

And though I liked First Contact and Alice Krige in it (and Susannah Thompson in Voyager), personalizing the Borg is always problematic, e.g. the 'Hugh' episode of TNG

dclary
05-21-2009, 02:09 AM
Um, like, the Borg queen was a new construct meant for dealing with humans? A targeted weapon, so to speak? And if memory serves, nowhere in the film do the Borg actually say she is their Queen, as in their leader. I think she does toy with Data when he says something along those lines, but that could easily just be the Borg messing with his head.

At this point in the Trek universe, the Borg have had a number of dealings with humanity and have yet to assimilate them. Add to that the obvious effects contact with humans has had on the collective (remember Hugh? Locutus?), and it is easily conceivable that the collective might start to evolve, giving rise to the Borg queen.

At least that's how I saw it.

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/library/character/bio/1112104.html

Don Allen
05-21-2009, 02:11 AM
I think I'm banned from the trek threads until dclary gets over my humor, but fro the record Khan has to be the best followed by whales.......I have to go now....

Danjreid
05-21-2009, 02:14 AM
Best film by a mile. Perfectly constructed, engaging story. Great villain. Great action sequences. Emotional ending.
Star Trek: First Contact
Its the Borg. Its TNG at its best. Well constructed, great action, great character moments
Great send off for TOS. Star Trek making a commentry on the fall of the USSR and effectively linking the old series with the new.
Star Trek (2009)
This one might shift around a bit as I get to know it better, but definitely a cracking film! Great - as near perfect as can be - character work, although the plot itself was a bit thin.
Its a stupid story, but the "fish out of water" element makes it thoroughly enjoyable.
Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
Far better, imo, than most people give it credit. It was back when Trek still took chances with its stories. No reset button here. Kirk's a fugitive, the Enterprise burns in space. Where did this type of writing go?
Star Trek: Generations
an enjoyable film, but a bit slow in parts. Its got Kirk and Picard tag-teaming against Malcolm McDowell, whilst the Enterprise shows why it never tries to land on planets.
Star Trek: Insurrection
another film I rate higher than most do, but it feels more like an episode of the TV series and was badly hurt by mid-production storyline changes
Star Trek: Nemesis
This film had several good ideas hidden in it and some great action scenes, but the basic premise was poor, as was the execution
Star Trek: The Motion Picture
Oh god, this film was so slow. It has its moments, but in the end its just an over-long rehash of an old (and much better) TOS episode
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
Some good character bits, but it was pretty much abysmal. Story was rubbish and the SFX looked worse than any of the previous films, too.

ChunkyC
05-21-2009, 02:16 AM
Well, my guesses were way off about how the borg queen came to be. Good link, deek, velly intellesting.

ETA: it also shows that I am nowhere near a Trek geek where the Voyager series is concerned.

dclary
05-21-2009, 02:25 AM
I think I'm banned from the trek threads until dclary gets over my humor, but fro the record Khan has to be the best followed by whales.......I have to go now....

Fee Fi Fo Fum... I smell the blood of...

no, wait.

Hmmm...

Gone now.

dgiharris
05-21-2009, 03:36 AM
Star Trek films, best to worst:

Star Trek II: "The Wrath of Khan" Why number 1? Khan, of course.
Star Trek XI: "Star Trek" totally bitchin' reboot
Star Trek VIII: "First Contact" the Borg finally make it to the big screen
Star Trek IV: "The Voyage Home" funny and totally entertaining, despite the recycled 'a probe of unknown origin is heading towards Earth' idea
Star Trek VI: "The Undiscovered Country" a Klingon general quoting Shakespeare and a cool mystery story to boot
Star Trek I: "The Motion Picture" Trek on the big screen for the first time, with a probe of unknown origin heading toward Earth
Star Trek III: "The Search for Spock" pretty good, Christopher Lloyd as a Klingon was inspired casting
Star Trek VII: "Generations" not too bad, but I was hoping for a better first movie for the next gen crew
Star Trek IX: "Insurrection" a real indication there was something seriously wrong with the franchise
Star Trek X: "Nemesis" had this been the only Trek movie, it might have been good, but it was filled to the brim with stuff we'd seen a dozen times before
Star Trek V: "The Final Frontier" great opening sequence, in the crapper from then on - just terrible all around. the only trek movie I own that I only watched once

Me and you are completely aligned. Well, almost. I would throw the search for Spock a little higher on the list :)

Sorry, I know we are still euphoric after seeing the reboot. But it is not better than Khan.

Khan is classic Star Trek and they end up killing Spock. I mean, damn. The emotions I felt during that Star Trek were amazing. Great film.

The euphoria we feel with the reboot is just because we were so STARVED for a good Trek film.

Imagine that you haven't eaten for days then someone throws you a cracker. That will seem like the best cracker ever...

Hmmm... not that i'm calling the reboot a cracker :) It was a good film. But do some soul searching and put everything in the PROPER CONTEXT and you will see that Khan is the best film and not by a little bit.

Mel...

dragonjax
05-21-2009, 03:37 AM
My top five are:

Star Trek XI, aka, Reboot City
Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (which IMHO gets short shrift)

I loved TNG as a series, and think it overall stands up better than TOS the TV show, but they never really made a top-notch TNG movie, unfortunately.

What Claudia said. Absolutely. And extra points for not mentioning the Whaaaa??? that was V.

dgiharris
05-21-2009, 03:39 AM
What Claudia said. Absolutely. And extra points for not mentioning the Whaaaa??? that was V.

Come on, that movie was fun :)

dclary
05-21-2009, 03:40 AM
Dragonjax just needs to share his pain.

DeleyanLee
05-21-2009, 03:48 AM
See, the Borg is the big reason why I stopped watching TNG and ended up disliking the series. I can't stand cyberized people. Just can't do it, which is why I gave up on all the spin-offs. Can't trust them not to upset me.

I'm truly hoping they never bring the Borg into the reboot. That would be truly sad.

Wavy_Blue
05-21-2009, 04:02 AM
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the--oh, wait.

Stark Trek 2009 is definitely the best IMO.

Zoombie
05-21-2009, 04:23 AM
Cyborgs are awesome (says the boy who has written a book about the romance between a cyborg and a human, so you can't trust anything he says)

The Borg were awesome. Then Voyager pussified them with its pussification ray...I think the last REALLY threatening anything with the Borg was the movie, First Contact.

It goes...

Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan SLASH Star Trek: The Reeboot. YES! THEY ARE TIED!
Star Trek 4: Whaaaales SLASH Star Trek: First Contact
Star Trek 6: Undiscovered Country

The rest, with Nemesis being last.

Ugh.

dgiharris
05-21-2009, 05:01 AM
I think the Khan vs. Reboot is based on age.

I think us oldtimers (you know, who saw BOTH in the theaters) will side with Khan.

The newbies (who probably haven't even seen Khan or at best, saw it on TNT with commercials) will side with Reboot.

I think this can only be settled with a Klingon death match. But seriously, when you 'adjust' for when the movies were made respectively, KHAN is WAY ahead.

Besides, in the end, you must respect your elders. Know your roots. Without Khan there would be no Reboot.

As for the Borg. I loved the Borg. Very plausible that technology and biology would merge.

Mel...

DeleyanLee
05-21-2009, 05:28 AM

I think us oldtimers (you know, who saw BOTH in the theaters) will side with Khan.

The newbies (who probably haven't even seen Khan or at best, saw it on TNT with commercials) will side with Reboot.

I don't agree with this, speaking as a first generation Trekker. I like the reboot better than Wrath of Khan. They were both great stories, but the elegance of honoring what had gone before while completely rewriting for new venue just blows me completely away. That's why I rank it higher than Khan.

Nothing beats Khan for the original series, though. Totally blows everything else out of the water.

As for the Borg. I loved the Borg. Very plausible that technology and biology would merge.

I'll never argue the plausibility of it existing in the universe. It totally makes sense and I don't blame them for putting the race in. The very concept squicks me out on a personal level. I hate it. I won't accept it in any form, even in villains, so I don't. It's really just me and that's okay.

Cranky
05-21-2009, 05:47 AM

I think this can only be settled with a Klingon death match. But seriously, when you 'adjust' for when the movies were made respectively, KHAN is WAY ahead.

Besides, in the end, you must respect your elders. Know your roots. Without Khan there would be no Reboot.

Mel...

*blows raspberries at her elders* Though I don't think you are my elder by much. Still, YOU ARE WRONG, MEL!!! The reboot just edges Khan, imo.

Gawd, that was liberating. Thanks, Deek. :D

ad_lucem
05-21-2009, 05:59 AM

ROFLMAO :D

I love Galaxy Quest and so do my kids!

I'll take a bit o' geek wherever I can get it.

jodiodi
05-21-2009, 07:58 AM
I haven't seen the new one yet. I'm still debating after reading so much about it on here. Kinda not interested anymore.

2 - Wrath of Khan
4 - Voyage Home

The rest just merge into one oozing mass of forgetability.

Zoombie
05-21-2009, 08:15 AM
I'll never argue the plausibility of it existing in the universe. It totally makes sense and I don't blame them for putting the race in. The very concept squicks me out on a personal level. I hate it. I won't accept it in any form, even in villains, so I don't. It's really just me and that's okay.

<very very carefully hides his Transhumanist Now magazine, E.L.F manuscript and "I <3 Cyborgs" Tee-shirt.>

ChunkyC
05-21-2009, 06:17 PM
At the end of this vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQftkgrzLR8) is something even more terrifying than the borg....

eric11210
05-21-2009, 08:30 PM
Oooh. This is exciting:

Star Trek II: Wrath of Kahn
Star Trek
Star Trek : First Contact
Star Trek: Generations
Star Trek: Of Gods and Men
Star Trek: Nemesis
Star Trek: The Motion Picture
Star Trek: Insurrection

Sorry, really couldn't stand Insurrection. It was just all over the place. The Motion Picture I've watched at least a dozen times because, well, it's Trek, but it's torture to make it through that whole thing.

Oh and just to throw a monkey wrench into the proceedings, I included Of Gods and Men which would have been kick ass awesome except for the Scooby-dooish explanation of how Gary Mitchell took over the federation and the bad acting/scripting when Charlie doesn't want to go back and fix things. Up until there, I was totally into it and loving the movie, but it crashed in that final segment.

Eric

dgiharris
05-21-2009, 08:37 PM
I haven't seen the new one yet. I'm still debating after reading so much about it on here. Kinda not interested anymore.

Shame on you. I bet you were the kind of kid that found their X'mas presents early, shook them, and tried to figure out what you got.

how could you cheat and read the spoilers? Tsk Tsk Tsk.

See Star Trek on the big screen. Trust us, it is worth the movie experience.

Mel...

eric11210
05-21-2009, 08:41 PM

The Borg One SUCKED!!!!

Yes but. . .

"I" am Locutus of Borg? It seems the concept of an individual was established long before the queen.

jodiodi
05-21-2009, 09:16 PM
Shame on you. I bet you were the kind of kid that found their X'mas presents early, shook them, and tried to figure out what you got.

how could you cheat and read the spoilers? Tsk Tsk Tsk.

See Star Trek on the big screen. Trust us, it is worth the movie experience.

Mel...

Actually, I never looked for presents and refused to shake them, even as a child. I loved the mystery and magical atmosphere of Christmas too much. Santa still comes to visit me and my husband, as does the Easter Bunny.

I only started reading spoilers after I lost my entheusiasm for the movie. I was all excited to go, then just decided I didn't really care anymore. THEN I started reading spoilers.

My husband mentioned going because he knows I was always a big Trek nerd/groupie. But I just can't get up any excitement for Trek or any other movie.

Claudia Gray
05-21-2009, 09:20 PM

I saw Khan in theaters -- still have my moldy copies of the first novels on the bookshelf -- and while I do think Khan is better, I honestly think it's close.

dgiharris
05-22-2009, 03:47 AM
I saw Khan in theaters -- still have my moldy copies of the first novels on the bookshelf -- and while I do think Khan is better, I honestly think it's close.

O.K. O.k. O.k. <grumbles and kicks rocks>

They are close. I do like the reboot. I guess Khan just has a special place in my heart. They broke the mold with that movie.

I remember when they put those 'creatures' in their ears <shudders>. I loved the Captain vs. Captain aspect of it. I loved how Spock sacrificed himself and the emotional impact of that on the audience.

I guess in my mind, it is like the chicken and the egg. Without Khan, you wouldn't have the reboot :)

Mel...

dragonjax
05-22-2009, 05:40 PM
Dragonjax just needs to share his pain.

**cough** Her pain.

Although I write in first person male POV in HOTTER THAN HELL and in HELL IS WHERE THE HEART IS, so I can take this as a compliment. ;)

Claudia Gray
05-22-2009, 05:51 PM
O.K. O.k. O.k. <grumbles and kicks rocks>

They are close. I do like the reboot. I guess Khan just has a special place in my heart. They broke the mold with that movie.

I remember when they put those 'creatures' in their ears <shudders>. I loved the Captain vs. Captain aspect of it. I loved how Spock sacrificed himself and the emotional impact of that on the audience.

I guess in my mind, it is like the chicken and the egg. Without Khan, you wouldn't have the reboot :)

Mel...

Khan definitely has the advantage because of things it could do that the reboot couldn't -- i.e., Spock's death and the attendant mourning. That had more impact than any "beginning" possibly could. And Khan is not only the greatest villain of the Trek films but one of the great movie baddies, period, thanks to a powerhouse performance by Ricardo Montalban.

But as a dak'tagh-owning Trek geek from days of old, I loved how the reboot found the right way to both honor the past and offer an entirely fresh start. It was such an incredibly tricky thing to pull off, and the miracle of the film is that it looks easy, even obvious, when it was anything but. And the casting genius alone -- those actors were all so good, so right on, that I could accept them immediately, even after more than 20 years of experience with the original cast. I think that puts it right up there.

Shadow_Ferret
05-22-2009, 06:04 PM
Honestly, I didn't even know they were up to an XI. I haven't kept up since they stopped making the TOS versions. TNG? Bah. And I haven't seen the newest one yet, maybe this weekend.

So of the TOS, I rate them as such:
Star Trek II: Wrath of Kahn
Star Trek I: The Motion Picture

dclary
05-22-2009, 11:06 PM
**cough** Her pain.

Although I write in first person male POV in HOTTER THAN HELL and in HELL IS WHERE THE HEART IS, so I can take this as a compliment. ;)
Apologies, milady. :)

Diana Hignutt
05-22-2009, 11:35 PM
-The Reboot
-Khan
-Whales
-Borg
-Shakespearian Klingons
-Spock search
-Generations
-The Motion Picture
-Data goes nuts
-They let Shatner direct?

I thought there were only ten. What was the last, last one about anyway? I thought that was where data went crazy. No?

Sirion
05-23-2009, 12:00 AM
At the top:

In the middle:
Star Trek VII: They Killed Kirk

Low:

I refuse to place Star Trek Nemesis, because we all know it never happened. Instead, I defer my statements to the following webpage on the subject: http://www.stardestroyer.net/Nemesis/Pictorial-1.html

ChunkyC
05-23-2009, 05:50 PM
I thought there were only ten. What was the last, last one about anyway? I thought that was where data went crazy. No?
No, there was one more between the Data-crazy flick (#9) and this reboot (#11). #10 was Nemesis, which Deek identified something along the lines of "okay, we're officially out of ideas"

Diana Hignutt
05-26-2009, 02:53 PM
No, there was one more between the Data-crazy flick (#9) and this reboot (#11). #10 was Nemesis, which Deek identified something along the lines of "okay, we're officially out of ideas"

That's right, now I remember...Insurrection and Nemesis..they tend to run together in my memory.

Claudia Gray
05-26-2009, 06:58 PM
I am always surprised at how low most people rank STIII. It's stuck being the middle part of a trilogy, so its story isn't self-contained -- but given the hoops that story had to jump through (bring Spock back to life, please!), I thought they did a terrific job.

The method of Spock's revival is a very good mix of elements from the second film and some helpful Vulcan mysticism -- which is sort of yanked out of nowhere, but then again, it always was before. Christopher Lloyd is absolutely terrific as Kruge. This is the first film in which every single member of the crew gets something noteworthy to do, and the emotional payoff is incredible. We get Sarek in paternal mode; McCoy merging with his polar opposite, Spock; our crew going rogue for the sake of a friend; the death of the Enterprise (and it is played as a death, not simple destruction); the death of Kirk's son (which IMHO was one of Shatner's best acting moments in the role); and the really wonderful final scene, in which Spock is supposed to be shed of all his memories of the past -- but remembers Kirk anyway. The pacing is tight, the characterization is on, and Dame Judith Anderson plays T'Lar. Just about the only thing I don't love in that movie is Robin Curtis' performance as Saavik.

ChunkyC
05-26-2009, 07:40 PM
I agree with what you say about ST:III.

For me, there are only a few Trek films I feel are rather poor and deserving of a bad rating. The rest I like a lot, but some more than others. That's why ST:III ends up in seventh spot on my list, kinda like seven of the eleven runners in the hundred metre sprint crossing the finish line fractions of a second apart and the last four are the ones out of the running.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-26-2009, 08:14 PM
For those of us with earphones... Listentoamovie.com (http://www.listentoamovie.com/list.php?Active=NewMovieList&Filter%5B64%5D=172&Search=)... you can refresh your Trek movie auditory memory. :)

dclary
05-26-2009, 09:56 PM
For those of us with earphones... Listentoamovie.com (http://www.listentoamovie.com/list.php?Active=NewMovieList&Filter%5B64%5D=172&Search=)... you can refresh your Trek movie auditory memory. :)

that's cool. I used to audio-tape my favorite movies to listen to them at work.

Particularly hilarious ones usually involve big battles. Braveheart, for instance. Tons of shouts and screams and gore sounds, interspersed with awesome dialogue.

DeleyanLee
05-26-2009, 10:22 PM
that's cool. I used to audio-tape my favorite movies to listen to them at work.

Particularly hilarious ones usually involve big battles. Braveheart, for instance. Tons of shouts and screams and gore sounds, interspersed with awesome dialogue.

I was trying to sleep when my housemate was watching The Return of the King extended version. The big battles all sounded like orgies. I laughed too hard to go to sleep.

Makes me wonder what the V'ger sequence of ST:TMP would do to one's imagination....

The Lonely One
05-26-2009, 10:29 PM
I liked the one where they go to Cloud City.

The Lonely One
05-27-2009, 12:22 AM
What?

I distinctly remember Warf dragging Data's disfigured body from the Cloud City while in a fire fight with the Borg. That one. That one rocked.

dclary
05-27-2009, 12:25 AM
Are you arguing with yourself?

ChunkyC
05-27-2009, 12:36 AM
This 'audio only' movie stuff made me think about my late mother in law. She was blind and I'll always remember my wife and I taking her to Jurassic Park when it hit the theatres. There we were all engrossed in the film, with Sue and I taking turns filling her mom in on what was going on, when it reached the scene where the T-Rex's footfalls cause the ripples in the cup of water. After the first one, Rita leans over to me and whispers,

"Sounds like a big bastard."

Coke is NOT a good nasal lavage.