PDA

View Full Version : I need you all to catch me up on technology....

James81
05-20-2009, 10:17 PM
We have some summer interns in our office this year, and we were talking to one of them and hearing him talk made me realize that I am grossly outdated with today's technology and gadgets (he told me that anything with an "i" in front of it is made by Mac, and I told him I didn't know that, and he asked me if I'd been living in a cave :roll:. Made me feel old, and I am only 27.)

So, the only technology I make use of is laptops, an mp3 player, cell phone, and a DVD player.

In this thread, you will inform me of other great techno gadgets that exist out there so that I can catch up and enjoy some myself. :D

Sweetleaf
05-20-2009, 10:52 PM
I'd love to help you dude, but I'm older than you!

I don't even have an mp3 player. I thought I was cool ripping all my cd's to my pc ;)

underthecity
05-20-2009, 10:52 PM
You're old? Well, I'm 38 and when I was in college we had a Mac Lab, that is, a room full of Macintosh Classics. That's what I learned on. The internet was a "new thing" in the 90s, too.

So I'm old, too. Older, in fact. I do have an iPod and know it's a Mac product. It is compatible with my PC, I know that much. But I'm so old that my iPod has a black and white screen.

Other technology? I wouldn't know. I'm lucky I have a cell phone. But I do have satellite radio, which I love.

Wayne K
05-21-2009, 12:17 AM
The speed with which technology changes now has people feeling old at 27?

I'm glad I'm actually old.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-21-2009, 12:24 AM
Hell, sonny, I'm 55 and I knew about iPod! Hie thee to a BestBuy and look around!

som1luvsmi
05-21-2009, 12:41 AM
Well... let's see:
the iphone: (http://graysmatter.codivation.com/content/binary/iphone.jpg) PDA, email, games, music, phone and massive amounts of downloadable applications(I have the ipod Touch, which is the same thing w/o the phone capabilities, and just downloaded a pedometer for when I go jogging. So awesome.)

the Smartcar (http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/uimages/sf/0409_smartcar01.jpg): little car that has really good gas mileage and is electric, I think.

HDTV/DVR (http://www.michaelpatrickbrady.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/microtek-lcd-hdtv.jpg): once you watch tv in high def, you'll never go back, my friend. Digital video recording allows you to record all your fave shows and enjoy at your convienience.

Playstation w/ Blueray: (http://http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/images/playstation3.jpg) the ultimate in gaming AND it plays Blueray DVD's. Which are the new high tech DVD's.

the Hoverboard (http://www.gearlog.com/hoverboard.gif) Okay. now I'm just messin with you. :)

Sweetleaf
05-21-2009, 12:43 AM
Joining in the 'I'm so old' declarations...

I'm so old when I did computers at University I was in the last semester before they introduced Windows :D

KTC
05-21-2009, 12:47 AM
In this thread, you will inform me of other great techno gadgets that exist out there so that I can catch up and enjoy some myself. :D

Ooh. I like the forceful attitude. Makes me perk right up.

Today's technohead would be nowhere without an 8-Track tape player. If you don't have one, you might as well be living in the god-damned prairies plucking corn outta yer ass.

Jersey Chick
05-21-2009, 12:56 AM
I remember MacIntoshes - with the black screen and green cursor (I think it was green, it might have been yellow)

We had Pong when I was a kid. Pong. A dot you batted across the screen. And it enthralled us for hours... A dot. Back. And. Forth. And. Back. And. Forth.

KTC
05-21-2009, 12:58 AM
I love pong.

LorelieBrown
05-21-2009, 01:01 AM
Actually, if you want to make the intern look like a jackass, you could point out that not "everything" with an I in front of it's from Mac. There's boat-load of products that're either accessories made to go *with* Mac products, or rip-off type things.

As for other gadgets -

Netbooks -super tiny laptops that're around 2 lbs (I adore my Acer Aspire One)

Kindle - Amazon's e-book reader

Sony Reader - another e-book reader. The 505 seems to be the most popular model

bettielee
05-21-2009, 01:08 AM
My last day of high school (in journalism) they brought in the new mac that they were going to use for next year to do the newspaper. It had a teeny tiny little screen up in the middle of this chunk of plastic. I guess it was the commodore? I didn't bother looking at it - I didn't think that thing was ever gonna be useful for anything (she said, typing on her bitchin' new imac 22" flatscreen)

JoNightshade
05-21-2009, 02:12 AM
Hell, sonny, I'm 55 and I knew about iPod! Hie thee to a BestBuy and look around!

Bolding mine... This is what dates you, OFG. ;) Friends don't let friends get ANYTHING from BestBuy!!! (Last time we looked for something there - TV cable - there was a $50 markup. Not even kidding. Just because people don't know how much these things are worth.)

Also, don't forget GPS tech! I'm going to cry if it fails (http://www.informationweek.com/news/personal_tech/gps/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=217600329&subSection=News).

Pagey's_Girl
05-21-2009, 02:53 AM
Bolding mine... This is what dates you, OFG. ;) Friends don't let friends get ANYTHING from BestBuy!!! (Last time we looked for something there - TV cable - there was a $50 markup....

If that's the case here, then I'd hate to think what Sears is doing. The Best Buy here is always at least $200.00 less on the same big-ticket items than Sears. Cables and whatnot, I usually end up getting from Staples. They're cheapest around here.

Clair Dickson
05-21-2009, 02:55 AM
James, you need less instruction on technology and more instruction on learning how to smile and nod convincingly. There are things you know that the hot young interns don't know. Well, being generous of course, ;-)

One would think you'd notice a trend in all these products... iPod, iTunes, iMac, etc and either draw a logical conclusion or look it up. Try Google. It's a search engine that is one of the most used... to the point where when it goes down, people instinctively try to Google why Google is down! Heh.

Anyway, smile and nod, James, Say things like, "oh, yeah, yeah. I'm waiting to get one of those." Then, scurry to the internet and look up what said item or term means. I'm a total square, but I know just about every slang term there is for marijuana. I learned it because my students think they're so much smarter than the teachers... I like to give them a little smack down in that department. The internet is a POWERFUL tool... there's all sorts of information on there. Use the Force, Luke internet, James.

MaryMumsy
05-21-2009, 03:21 AM
Joining in the 'I'm so old' declarations...

I'm so old when I did computers at University I was in the last semester before they introduced Windows :D

I'm so old that when I did computers at University you never got to see the computer. Programming was in COBOL and FORTRAN (pre DOS), and you used a machine made by IBM to punch holes in cards to run through the computer. The computer was as big as a house, and buried in the third basement of the computer sciences building for temperature control. You gave your stack of punched cards to a grad student and came back a couple of days later to get a print out on that big green lined paper to see if you had made any errors when doing the punching.

And I'm with OFG, Best Buy rules. Ours is great.

MM

Jersey Chick
05-21-2009, 03:26 AM
I remember learning Basic - If/then commands... That's about the extent of my computer know-how.

I made a Best Buy clerk cry once. It was a shining moment in the history of me. :D

Wayne K
05-21-2009, 03:38 AM
You're nowhere without a sundial today.

Wayne K
05-21-2009, 03:39 AM
I'm retro extreme.

Wayne K
05-21-2009, 03:49 AM
I'm saving up for electricity.

Rachel
05-21-2009, 03:58 AM
http://www.truegadgets.com/

:D

Wayne K
05-21-2009, 04:21 AM
Sorry Race, but that little gadget wouldn't last a day in this house.

Rachel
05-21-2009, 05:13 AM
Hey, at least I don't have to answer when my mom says "what time is it?" for the 1000th time...

KTC
05-21-2009, 05:14 AM
what time is it?

Sweetleaf
05-21-2009, 05:27 AM
I'm so old that when I did computers at University you never got to see the computer. Programming was in COBOL and FORTRAN (pre DOS), and you used a machine made by IBM to punch holes in cards to run through the computer. The computer was as big as a house, and buried in the third basement of the computer sciences building for temperature control. You gave your stack of punched cards to a grad student and came back a couple of days later to get a print out on that big green lined paper to see if you had made any errors when doing the punching.

MM

Okay, you win :D

BardSkye
05-21-2009, 05:48 AM
My high school went to see a performance of the very first music synthesizer. And my first job was on a switchboard. The ones where you actually plugged the incoming line into the board and had a toggle to connect (or "switch") the calls. So I'm following this with great interest.

I do have an MP3 dealie but it doesn't work as well as my Walkman.

Sweetleaf
05-21-2009, 05:51 AM
There was an article on the news last night about how cassette tapes are making a comeback.

WTF?? How??

There's been an increase in sales over the past year or so apparently, and everyone's trying to figure out why :D

KTC
05-21-2009, 05:53 AM
everybody likes a mixed tape.

BardSkye
05-21-2009, 05:54 AM
'Cause of people like me. I want to put the same three songs on a 90 minute cassette so it plays over and over without having to mess with it and the MP3 player won't let me do that. (It's how I learn my music without driving the rest of the world insane.)

jodiodi
05-21-2009, 06:00 AM

MM

I'm right there with you. I remember those days--I had to take the classes in the basement of the Pharmacy building at UGA.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-21-2009, 06:11 AM
Bolding mine... This is what dates you, OFG. ;) Friends don't let friends get ANYTHING from BestBuy!!! (Last time we looked for something there - TV cable - there was a $50 markup. Not even kidding. Just because people don't know how much these things are worth.)

Also, don't forget GPS tech! I'm going to cry if it fails (http://www.informationweek.com/news/personal_tech/gps/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=217600329&subSection=News).

But, Jo! We're here in the middle of the goddam prairie! BestBuy is usually the best buy! :)

MM

Testify, Sister Mary. You and I were in the basement of Old North together, writing those programs, punching those cards, and manually debugging the bloody bastiges! GAH!tm I hate(d) FORTRAN!

Matera the Mad
05-21-2009, 06:57 AM
Clair has got it -- smile and nod.

Then when nobdy's looking, Google.

Jersey Chick
05-21-2009, 07:07 AM
I've heard LPs are also making a comeback.

(those are records to all of you young'uns. Yes, once upon a time, we played our music on these HUGE vinyl discs. And you had to sometimes weight the turntable needle down with a penny. And if anyone thumped around, the record would scratch and the song would skip. To this day, there are some songs that don't sound right without a skip in the lyrics. :D)

Priene
05-21-2009, 01:26 PM
Meade (http://www.meade.com/etx_premier/index.html) telescopes. Tell it what you want to look at and it finds it for you.

I'm not a geek. Honest.

James81
05-21-2009, 05:42 PM
I remember MacIntoshes - with the black screen and green cursor (I think it was green, it might have been yellow)

We had Pong when I was a kid. Pong. A dot you batted across the screen. And it enthralled us for hours... A dot. Back. And. Forth. And. Back. And. Forth.

hahaha, I loved pong. I grew up with Mario and Duckhunt, so I wasn't that much futher behind you. I took a computer programming class in high school, and one of my friends actually wrote Pong on BASIC (while the rest of us were dithering around with cheesey RPGs).

Actually, if you want to make the intern look like a jackass, you could point out that not "everything" with an I in front of it's from Mac. There's boat-load of products that're either accessories made to go *with* Mac products, or rip-off type things.

As for other gadgets -

Netbooks -super tiny laptops that're around 2 lbs (I adore my Acer Aspire One)

Kindle - Amazon's e-book reader

Sony Reader - another e-book reader. The 505 seems to be the most popular model

Hell yes, I've been wanting a Kindle for a long time. Not sure I want to pay $300 for one though.

Hahaha, I think this is my problem. The only store in my town is a Walmart. If I drive 40 minutes I can get to a mall which has....a Walmart. I have to drive an hour and a half to find places like Bestbuy. Maybe it's not my fault. Maybe it's the fault of the shit town I live in. lol

James, you need less instruction on technology and more instruction on learning how to smile and nod convincingly. There are things you know that the hot young interns don't know. Well, being generous of course, ;-)

One would think you'd notice a trend in all these products... iPod, iTunes, iMac, etc and either draw a logical conclusion or look it up. Try Google. It's a search engine that is one of the most used... to the point where when it goes down, people instinctively try to Google why Google is down! Heh.

Anyway, smile and nod, James, Say things like, "oh, yeah, yeah. I'm waiting to get one of those." Then, scurry to the internet and look up what said item or term means. I'm a total square, but I know just about every slang term there is for marijuana. I learned it because my students think they're so much smarter than the teachers... I like to give them a little smack down in that department. The internet is a POWERFUL tool... there's all sorts of information on there. Use the Force, Luke internet, James.

:roll:

I need to keep that in mind. I guess I'm too honest sometimes. lol

There was an article on the news last night about how cassette tapes are making a comeback.

WTF?? How??

There's been an increase in sales over the past year or so apparently, and everyone's trying to figure out why :D

Because CD's suck complete ass crack.

mp3 players are the best, but me, being the techno outcast that I am, am not sure they make anything that you can play them in your car with.

Remember how when CD's came out, they made those little cassettes that you put in your cassette player than had a wire to an external CD player? Well I need something that will connect a little wire to a CD and come out to an external mp3 player to play my music in my car.

Bubastes
05-21-2009, 05:44 PM

You brought back some unwelcome memories. FORTRAN was one of my required courses in undergrad.

Bubastes
05-21-2009, 05:45 PM
mp3 players are the best, but me, being the techno outcast that I am, am not sure they make anything that you can play them in your car with.

They do make a wireless thingy that you can connect to your iPod so the music plays through your car speakers.

Robert Toy
05-21-2009, 05:47 PM
damn kids!

James81
05-21-2009, 05:51 PM
They do make a wireless thingy that you can connect to your iPod so the music plays through your car speakers.

Runs off to google "wireless thingy"

CaroGirl
05-21-2009, 05:52 PM
I'm, like, old-ish but I have an almost 12 yo son and a tech-geek husband. Of all the tech gadgets I thought I didn't need but have ended up LOVING, the winner is the DVR. LOVING the DVR!!! No more commercials, man. No. More. Commercials. No more missing the beginning of shows I like because of extended homework sessions. No more missing the end of shows I like because I can't stay awake.

And it's so simple, even I can use it!

James81
05-21-2009, 05:55 PM
I'm, like, old-ish but I have an almost 12 yo son and a tech-geek husband. Of all the tech gadgets I thought I didn't need but have ended up LOVING, the winner is the DVR. LOVING the DVR!!! No more commercials, man. No. More. Commercials. No more missing the beginning of shows I like because of extended homework sessions. No more missing the end of shows I like because I can't stay awake.

And it's so simple, even I can use it!

Yeah, I think it's high time I broke down and bought one...but I need a new tv first. lol

Button
05-21-2009, 06:25 PM
Is this where I start talking about cloud computing or HyperSonic sound? Israel and Denmark I think have the lead on using electronic cars, produced by Nissan. Sixth Sense is still being worked on, but I think it will replace cell phones if they can every make them cheap enough.

Basics of 'now' technology: iPhone and Blackberry are the lead cell phones, most things at the latest technology expo was all 'applications for the iPhones'. I heard they made a Jesus iPhone, but they won't make apps for Jesus. For video games, Playstation 3, XBox 360, and Wii. Windows is coming out soon with Windows 7. Let's see... iPod and Zunes are the more popular MP3 players. Yeah, the Kindle... some people like it.

I'm 28, and I couldn't tell you who is on the top 40 of music right now, but I can talk your ear off about gadgets.

Jersey Chick
05-21-2009, 08:09 PM
**head explodes**

POOF!

Clair Dickson
05-21-2009, 08:24 PM
James--- google MP3 car adpaters. There's a couple different types. One of them broadcasts the signal from your mp3 player to a certain radio station. (Unfortunately, one model broadcasts to 89.0 FM, which is so close to my beloved 88.7fm that my radio station gets run over by these signals. Esp. bad when traveling on the eway.)

They still make kits with a faux tape that you put in the car tape player and it's wired to a plug that attaches to the mp3 player.

It's possible to get a car audio place to build a line-in (aux line) to your stereo. Or if you have, um, a handy relative, like I do. (Except my car CD player also reads MP3s, so I don't need to. Well, that, and I've only had an mp3 for three weeks now [and it costed me $13 :D])

Clair Dickson
05-21-2009, 08:30 PM
Oh, James, James James. DVR doesn't require you to get a new TV! DVR is a box that sits on your TV like a cable box. It's like a digital VCR. If you have an older TV (like 2 of ours) you may have to get an RF adapter, like you do if you don't have the Red/Yellow/White RCA jacks requried for any video game system after the Super NES. We have two TV's that date from the early 1990s, but we run DVR to all three of them (In fact, we have one DVR box running those three TVs.)

And, I agree with Caro-- the DVR is fantastic! Love me some DVR. Select show and click the record button and it's all set up! And skipping commercials... I find myself trying to use the skip forward button on life TV. My DVR isn't that fancy, so I just swear at it and hit the mute button until the punshiment is over.

Shadow_Ferret
05-21-2009, 08:33 PM
W(he told me that anything with an "i" in front of it is made by Mac, and I told him I didn't know that, and he asked me if I'd been living in a cave :roll:. Made me feel old, and I am only 27.)

I didn't know Mac had trademarked a letter! I assumed anything with an "i" in front of it was some sort of Internet device. Just like anything with an "e" in front of it had to do with... um... the internet again

Me, I have no problem with devices, but the terms, like SMS, or podcast (is that like flycasting?), IRC, or Feeds or any of that, I'm at a loss as to their meaning. For the longest time I thought Bluetooth was some sort of dental desease in the Appalacian Mountains

James81
05-21-2009, 08:39 PM
Oh, James, James James. DVR doesn't require you to get a new TV! DVR is a box that sits on your TV like a cable box. It's like a digital VCR. If you have an older TV (like 2 of ours) you may have to get an RF adapter, like you do if you don't have the Red/Yellow/White RCA jacks requried for any video game system after the Super NES. We have two TV's that date from the early 1990s, but we run DVR to all three of them (In fact, we have one DVR box running those three TVs.)

lol Yeah, I know what a DVR is. My parents have one.

I mentioned needing a new TV first, because, well, my TV sucks. If it's on for too long it's starts making a squealing noise. It's a dinky TV my parents gave me when my ex took the good TV in the divorce.

I just said I needed a new TV first in terms of monetary priorities (get TV FIRST, then get neato gadgets to use with TV). :D

Clair Dickson
05-21-2009, 08:52 PM
Well, the good news is James, that you can get a flat panel TV these days for what we paid for our non-flat panel TV four years ago. The prices are coming down fast.

And the new TVs have all the fancy hook ups and stuff. Good for taming the octopus of wires from all the devices. (Gosh, I still remember wiring the DVD player through the VCR because my TV only had the cable/ antenna in plug. Oh, wait, that was in January.)

JoNightshade
05-21-2009, 09:02 PM
But, Jo! We're here in the middle of the goddam prairie! BestBuy is usually the best buy! :)

Hahaha, I think this is my problem. The only store in my town is a Walmart. If I drive 40 minutes I can get to a mall which has....a Walmart. I have to drive an hour and a half to find places like Bestbuy. Maybe it's not my fault. Maybe it's the fault of the shit town I live in. lol

:e2thud:

You guys are killing me. What technological innovation are you using RIGHT NOW?!

Yes, it's the internet. If you want to buy technology, where is the best place to go? The internet!!! Amazon.com is a good place to start for reviews. The best techie site for stuff is newegg.com.

Pretty much the only thing I buy at a real-world store anymore is groceries. I even buy most of my clothes online. :)

tjwriter
05-21-2009, 09:10 PM
'Cause of people like me. I want to put the same three songs on a 90 minute cassette so it plays over and over without having to mess with it and the MP3 player won't let me do that. (It's how I learn my music without driving the rest of the world insane.)

You should be able to put those three tracks on your MP3 player and set it to repeat for as long as you would like. Mine lets me. It does all sorts of other things to, like voice record, and function as a pedometer, and all sorts of goofy things. I like it.

tjwriter
05-21-2009, 09:11 PM
Pretty much the only thing I buy at a real-world store anymore is groceries. I even buy most of my clothes online. :)

I buy quite a bit online, too. Saves time and trouble.

Sweetleaf
05-21-2009, 09:43 PM
For the longest time I thought Bluetooth was some sort of dental desease in the Appalacian Mountains

You mean it's not?
My husbands truck has bluetooth - I thought that's why it keeps breaking down ;)

som1luvsmi
05-21-2009, 10:00 PM
lol Yeah, I know what a DVR is. My parents have one.

Wait. So are you saying that even your parents know more about new tech than you? Dude. :D

Shadow_Ferret
05-21-2009, 10:15 PM
Well, the good news is James, that you can get a flat panel TV these days for what we paid for our non-flat panel TV four years ago. The prices are coming down fast.

Um. No. I paid less than $400 for a 32" tube TV a few years ago. No way can I get an equivelant flat screen HDTV for that.

I've heard LPs are also making a comeback.

(those are records to all of you young'uns. Yes, once upon a time, we played our music on these HUGE vinyl discs. And you had to sometimes weight the turntable needle down with a penny. And if anyone thumped around, the record would scratch and the song would skip. To this day, there are some songs that don't sound right without a skip in the lyrics. :D)
A PENNY?!?! Holy shit! The thought just makes me cry. Do you have any idea of the damage that does to the record? Not to mention the needle.

A penny? *weeps as he walks slowly away*

Clair Dickson
05-21-2009, 11:20 PM
Um. No. I paid less than $400 for a 32" tube TV a few years ago. No way can I get an equivelant flat screen HDTV for that.

Well, in my local Meijer store (Wal-mart equivalent) you can get a 22 in flat screen for $500 (http://www.meijer.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=119104&parentCategoryId=122&categoryId=123&subCategoryId=387). (There are other TVs there, too, of varying sizes under $500) When I bought my $27in TV four years ago, I paid about $420 for it. To me, the difference in size and the difference in price are comparable. Thus, I still maintain my position that you can get a flat screen for about the same price. Equivalent, no, but what I said was comparable. Semantics, I know. =)

Either way, the prices of flat screens have come down. And some places, like the aforementioned Meijer store don't even carry non-flat screen TVs in store anymore.

scarletpeaches
05-22-2009, 12:49 AM
Wait, you're 27? I thought you were a caveman. A really old caveman.

quickWit
05-22-2009, 12:57 AM
A really old caveman.

Edited'ed for redundancy.

Yore welcome. :)

James81
05-22-2009, 05:39 AM
Wait, you're 27? I thought you were a caveman. A really old caveman.

If it makes you feel any better, my body is hairy like one.