Is there a time limit for responding to full req?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neener

Cleaning is overrated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janinesclayson.blogspot.com
Hey all-

I just received a full reqeust from a query I sent several months ago. Yipee! Except, in the time since I sent that query I've gotten some feedback which made me aware of flaws in the book which I'd previously overlooked. I'm revising the story right now, but I wondered what the proper etiquette is in this situation.

What I want to do is send my manuscript on Friday, which would be almost a week since I got the email asking for the full. Is that too long between request and response? Should I send an email first and let her know the file is coming? I don't want her to think I'm a flake who didn't have a finished book before querying. It was complete, I just think it is stronger with the changes.

What do you think?

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
But be aware of instances like this, in which a stroppy agent withdrew his Friday full request on Monday because the author hadn't sent it yet.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Why not shoot them an e-mail saying thank you, and ask for time because you want to be sure it's as good as it can be.
I've done that more than once.

neener

Cleaning is overrated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
But be aware of instances like this, in which a stroppy agent withdrew his Friday full request on Monday because the author hadn't sent it yet.

Yikes! Of course, you have to wonder if that agent was a little insane and no one would want to work with him anyway...

Why not shoot them an e-mail saying thank you, and ask for time because you want to be sure it's as good as it can be.
I've done that more than once.

So, this is what I did. I sent an email this morning explaining that I'd since I'd queried them I received some feedback which caused revision, and since I'm almost done with the revision could she give me until Friday? If not, I told her, I'd be happy to send the original complete. Hopefully she'll be happy to wait for the better copy and not think I'm a total amatuer! Blech. Crossing my fingers this was the right thing. I really, really think the revisions help, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.

MaLanie1971

Registered
Reaction score
Yikes! Of course, you have to wonder if that agent was a little insane and no one would want to work with him anyway...

So, this is what I did. I sent an email this morning explaining that I'd since I'd queried them I received some feedback which caused revision, and since I'm almost done with the revision could she give me until Friday? If not, I told her, I'd be happy to send the original complete. Hopefully she'll be happy to wait for the better copy and not think I'm a total amatuer! Blech. Crossing my fingers this was the right thing. I really, really think the revisions help, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.

I agree, with the impatient agent comment! I would be leary of that agent.

And, I am glad you explained the situation. That is what I was going to recommend. I find being real and honest works the best.

neener

Cleaning is overrated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks guys. It's a reputable agency and it did take them 2 months to respond to my query...although they added agents to the agency during that time. Still, if I were an agent I'd want the best possible, and I hope would think well of the author who was working to improve.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Heh, I expect the agent has a few other things she can do while she waits for your MS. ;)

I'd be leery of an agent who wouldn't be glad to wait for a new, improved version. Fingers crossed she likes yours.

neener

Cleaning is overrated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Heh, I expect the agent has a few other things she can do while she waits for your MS. ;)

I'd be leery of an agent who wouldn't be glad to wait for a new, improved version. Fingers crossed she likes yours.

I hear agents might be a little busy. The fact that she's emailed me well into the evening or on weekends might say something about that.

Either way, this has gotten me to move on this revision, so I'll be ahead of where I thought I'd be. That's a good thing, no matter what!

Thanks for the good wishes...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.