Why I am the worst best friend in the whole wide world

Sweetleaf

Momentary lapse of reason
Registered
Reaction score
At last, OFFICIALLY in the middle of nowhere. But
It's my best friend's birthday today.

I missed her when I rang before she went to work, so I sent her a big colourful happy birthday email, with this message in small letters at the bottom:

'I hope your boss isn't too much of a wanker today'

She rang half an hour later and said 'Thank you for the email, but could you please not do that again as this morning my boss figured out that he can read my emails.'

Bugger.

The worst part is that she's pregnant and NOTHING is funny right now. She sounded like she was trying not to cry.

I am the worst friend in the whole world. No word on whether her boss actually read that particular email, but the damage has been done.

I suck so much. :(

Reaction score
Nah, you don't suck.

Her blaming you for her boss being an interfering wanker is what sucks.

Manix

Mutatis mutandis
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, I'm so sorry. I said something to a friend today, too, that I hope didn't damage our friendship, but I fear it has. :(

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
Well, I don't think you suck, overtired. Sometimes the best of intentions go awry. She's being a little hard on you, and you're being dreadfully hard on yourself.

Ask her if you can make it up to her and then move on.

As for the boss reading email-- if it's on a company-owned computer and/ or with a company-provided email account, it belongs to company. There's no privacy with the company's stuff. So, professionalism always on company email.

But other than that, overtired, stop beating yourself up for trying to be a good friend. You're making a mountain out of a molehill for no good reason and with no benefit.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Don't worry too much; she's probably freaking out a little, but if it was little tiny and at the bottom of an otherwise large email - the boss probably never saw it. Even if he is monitoring employee email, he would probably just click it, see "Happy Birthday" and move on.

...Unless he seriously is a wanker, and then he deserves to see it anyway. ;)

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Don't worry, overtired. I bet it'll pass. Come on over to the :Cake: & cheese side, you'll be aok.

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
As for the boss reading email-- if it's on a company-owned computer and/ or with a company-provided email account, it belongs to company. There's no privacy with the company's stuff. So, professionalism always on company email.

Well maybe the laws are different in America but in Australia, most company policies state that email is private unless there is a reason a person needs to be investigated.

You won't see me working for a company where a boss can read my emails.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
My last boss was a dick sometimes, but we would go out and have a few drinks and work things out--it was simple.

My new boss doesn't drink--there's no dealing with a lunatic.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Oh no! You tried. I'm so sorry. For the both of you. This will be very funny next year. Take her to lunch, if you can. Poor things.

Reaction score
My last boss was a dick sometimes, but we would go out and have a few drinks and work things out--it was simple.

My new boss doesn't drink--there's no dealing with a lunatic.

This is why I love you.

scarletpeaches, born in Scotland, half-Italian, Irish surname and therefore genetically programmed to be a piss-head.

Wayne, let's do lunch and by that I mean liquid lunch. By lunch I mean 'all day'.

Okay, let's get drunk together.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
If her boss truly is a jerk, then you were just stating a fact and the boss shouldn't object to that. Besides, the message was sent TO your friend, not FROM her computer, so screw her boss.

wannawrite

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kcwildwood.net
Aw, good for you, OT. And you can be my buddy anytime. You were sweet enough to remember her on her special day, and thoughtful enough to worry about hurting her feelings.

Have a good one, sweetie. Glad it turned out okay for you.

fringle

always abroad
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like she's just being emotional due to pg hormones. See? She's over it already. Don't eat the ice cream in her freezer though or she might kill you.