Medievel "meeting" room

Status
Not open for further replies.

JenNV

Registered
Reaction score
I have been tossing and turning over what to title this room.

It is a meeting room in an eleventh century castle. "meeting room/hall" and "conference room" sound strange and "the study" does not seem to fit the sentence. Help please! :) And thanks!

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
They were usually referred to as the Great Hall, or the Hall.

JenNV

Registered
Reaction score
I read about that online but I was unsure because I know they were also used for dinning. Thank you very much. :)

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Seems unlikely there would be a room just for meetings in an 11th c. castle, unless the room was specifically the office/study of a nobleman, or possibly a high-ranking servant. This kind of room would typically have been an antechamber of the person's bedroom (although I'm not sure if they built that way as early at the 11th c.), or if it was a small unattached room it might be called soandso's closet. You could also have a meeting in a sitting room or solar or dining room or chapel I guess, even outside if the weather was good. It depends what the meeting was about, usually it would be held in a location relevant to the topic.

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
"Great hall" would be the most likely name, in a castle. (And yes, it would be used for feasting as well.)

In a village, they might have a seperate meeting hall "The Guild Hall" - possibly maintained by the various guilds for meetings and even social activities.

JenNV

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for your opinions. I think great hall will work best in this situation. Thank you again - great help! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.