anyone interested in formalist workshops?

Dichroic

that's di-CROW-ick
Registered
Reaction score
Website
riseagain.net
A while back we batted around the idea of doing workshops on different types of poetry, but only the minimalist one really ever got very far (Norman made some very interesting posts on the importance of lines in poetry, but the discussion was fairly short-lived.)

Would anyone be interested in doing some formalist workshops? I was thinking that we could pick a different form each week, and then write and crit stuff in that form that week. At the beginning of each week someone (me, if no one else wants to) could pick a form and post a brief explanation to get us running. We could pick a range of short to long, familiar to unfamiliar stuff: anything from senryu to sonnet, villanelle to venpa. (OK, maybe not venpa. I'm far too lazy to learn Tamil just to write a new form of poetry. :sleepy: )

Anyne interested ?

Norman D Gutter

Engineer Sonneteer
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidatodd.com
Di:

I wonder at the value of a workshop as you described it. How would it be different from a game thread, as we currently have for haiku and cinquains? My impression of those threads is that they are more for blowing off steam than for learning.

My intention with the Lines thread was to address both free verse as well as formal verse. Life got in the way of doing too much with that, as it still is. Also, no one else came forward with examples of line to analyze.

I might comment in the type of threads you mention. I sure couldn't take the lead on any.

NDG

Dichroic

that's di-CROW-ick
Registered
Reaction score
Website
riseagain.net
Norman, my idea was that we'd spend a week posting and critting examples of a form. The games let people play with posting, but there's rarely feedback. Also, they generally stick to shorter forms; you mention haiku (more often those are really senryu) and cinquain, and I can easily imagine a game for clerihews, but they very rarely delve into something more complex like a terza rima.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
however it is formatted, I would follow and attempt to participate.

kdnxdr

One of the most important people in the world
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
steadydrip.blogspot.com
I would do my best to participate but I have a week to pack my house and get ready for my move from Mississippi to Missouri.

I really do like the idea and was enjoying the thread that Norman had started.

kid

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Not a formalist myself, but I'd like to participate.

Billytwice

Registered
Reaction score
Just had to look up the term formalist with regard to poetry and it does sound interesting.
Some of the terms and definations would seem to be quite a challenge.

Some reading material:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Formalism

http://www.uen.org/utahlink/tours/tourViewCategory.cgi?category_id=30555&tour_id=18706

Of course, I maybe barking up the entirely wrong tree...

In fact I think I am, do you mean concentrating on a single poetic form such as a sonnet or a haiku for a week?
Or going down the road I've just travelled?

Last edited:

Dichroic

that's di-CROW-ick
Registered
Reaction score
Website
riseagain.net
In fact I think I am, do you mean concentrating on a single poetic form such as a sonnet or a haiku for a week?
Or going down the road I've just travelled?

Billy: Yes, I mean concentrating on single traditional forms, rather than 'New Formalism'. Though as the article states that New Formalism is a return to those forms, it may come to much the same thing.

skelly

Kickin it old school, posers beware
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I would avoid it like the plague and make fun of it.

:D

Dichroic

that's di-CROW-ick
Registered
Reaction score
Website
riseagain.net
Quick note: I'm going to get it started now, but since I expect (hope!) we will be posting and working on poems there, I'll put it in the crit forum so it's password protected.