Cover letter -- how much information?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solatium

Registered
Reaction score
I know cover letters have been dealt with before, but I have rather a specific question. I'm planning to submit a story to this anthology, which apparently requires a cover letter; I've never written one before. It's this bit that bothers me:
In your cover letter, briefly introduce yourself and mention the commandment your story is about.

"Introduce yourself" is easy: "Hi, I'm Sara, I'm a fictionist, and I haven't published anything worth mentioning." (More genteely phrased, of course.)

But what about the "which commandment" bit? Can I just say, "My story is about the second commandment, thank you, sincerely yours"? I'd like to get away with writing as short a letter as possible, but how short is too short? Is a two- or three-sentence cover letter okay, or am I expected to synopsize the story or otherwise "say more"?

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
I'm assuming from your post that this is a Christian or possibly Jewish publisher.

This is a great opportunity to interest the editor in your story by showing how it relates to the second commandment by saying something about how the main character is involved in a conflict that in some way illustrates the core of the second commandment and the choice the main character has to make (hard to write a more concrete sentence without knowing what the story is about, but I hope you get the idea). All you need is a sentence or two, but you want something that will make the editor look at your story.

And a fictionist? I've never heard a fiction writer referred to this way. And don't shoot yourself in the foot by mentioning that you haven't published anything much. If you haven't, just keep quiet about it - no need to discourage the editor before she reads you pieve. If you have any religious/ theological education or credentials that might lend credibility to your writing, do mention that.

VOTE_BOT

Gott weiß ich will kein Engel sein
Registered
Reaction score
Agree with Tish. Don't just mention the commandment; weave it into the fabric of your story in a compelling way.

sjanssens

I have to disagree with elaborating on your story. It's not advisable to recap your story in the cover letter. That's called a query. The editor has the story right there to read. It will either stand up on its own or it won't.

I imagine what the editor wants in this case is to know at a quick glance which stories pertain to which commandment. The editor doesn't want to buy twenty stories about the eighth commandment. In all likelihood the mss will be sorted by commandment before they're even read.

The introduction is probably for a bio.

Here's a typical cover letter:

Dear Editor,

Enclosed is my short story "How I Coveted My Neighbor's ***" which is about breaking the tenth commandment. Please consider this for your anthology "Thou Shalt Not". This is a disposable manuscript.

Recently I published "Angels and Asses" in [professional market].

I live and in Chicago and write when my lunatic schnauzer allows. I have been writing religious fiction for ten years.

Sincerely,
Scott Janssens

Last edited:

Mike Coombes

Guru
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writers.ktf-design.com
I agree with Scott. The editor wants to (a) know what commandment pile to toss it on, (b) have a sentence or two as bio to put at the bottom of your story and (c) nothing else.

I disagree about declaring yourself a newbie. Either say so, or ignore the issue. Most editors like to think they encourage new talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.