PDA

View Full Version : Snake and a Coke?

thethinker42
05-17-2009, 01:08 PM
Here on Okinawa, there is a serious infestation of two things:

1. The Habu, a cantankerous and venomous relative of the rattlesnake (well, don't know if they're actually related, but they look a lot alike and they both bite and are poisonous and stuff)
2. Coke Machines (seriously...they're everywhere...I've seen a Coke machine out in the middle of nowhere between a couple of sugar cane fields)

Now, as long as you don't provoke the Habu, and stay away from places they frequent (such as tombs, caves, a particular strip club on Gate 2 Street, and the inside of a bottle of Habu Sake), you're fairly safe. And as far as the Coke machines, you're good to go as long as you are able to resist the draw of a cold, refreshing beverage when it's 700 degrees out (or you have no Yen in your possession).

However, I learned something today: Some locals told us - and they may be messing with us, but with something like this, better safe than sorry - that the Habu have a tendency to climb INTO the Coke machines. To stay cool or something, I don't know.

Now, the Habu is not exactly on the "friendlier" end of the spectrum as far as God's creatures go, and I can imagine that being roused out of a sound sleep by a large can of Coke falling on you could make any animal a bit testy...so not only would one be opening the dispensing tray and finding a Habu, chances are it would be a pissed off Habu.

Urban (Island?) Legend? No idea. All I know is that now I understand why the locals open the dispensing trays with feet, umbrellas, or other non-hand objects...and why they look at us like idiots when we just willy-nilly stick our hands in to retrieve our drinks. I didn't find anything on snopes, and the locals seem to take it seriously.

So... All of that being said...

Would it be wrong to stick a large rubber snake into a vending machine and set up a video camera?

Discuss.

Wayne K
05-17-2009, 04:01 PM
I don't know if the camera is a good idea because the thing could posslibly go awry.

You might end up gathering evidence for your own trial.

Wayne K
05-17-2009, 04:02 PM
IMHO

thethinker42
05-17-2009, 04:03 PM
I don't know if the camera is a good idea because the thing could posslibly go awry.

You might end up gathering evidence for your own trial.

Hmm. Maybe I should swipe someone else's camera, set it up, then say I found it. LOL

(No, I'm not really planning to do this - my husband and I were just giggling like idiots at the thought of putting a rubber snake in the Coke machine)

scarletpeaches
05-17-2009, 04:25 PM
Samuel L. Jackson says your idea is cool.

Wayne K
05-17-2009, 05:26 PM
"There were snakes...in the mother{bleep}ing Coke machine!"

Wayne K
05-17-2009, 05:30 PM
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.
-Jules

Wayne K
05-17-2009, 05:57 PM
I been sayin' that [ ] for years. And if you ever heard it, it meant your ass. I never really questioned what it meant. I thought it was just a cold-blooded thing to say to a mother[ ] before you popped a cap in his ass. But I saw some [ ] this mornin' made me think twice. Now I'm thinkin': it could mean you're the evil man. And I'm the righteous man. And Mr. 9mm here, he's the shepherd protecting my righteous ass in the valley of darkness. Or it could be you're the righteous man and I'm the shepherd and it's the world that's evil and selfish. I'd like that. But that [ ] ain't the truth. The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd.

Wayne K
05-17-2009, 06:03 PM
That is all.

scarletpeaches
05-17-2009, 10:10 PM
So is that a yay or a nay for the snakes, then?

Adam
05-17-2009, 10:40 PM
Would it be wrong to stick a large rubber snake into a vending machine and set up a video camera?

Discuss.

Do this. Do this nao.

:D

scarletpeaches
05-17-2009, 10:43 PM
Word.

It would be wrong, but very, very funny.

Funny > moral.

Adam
05-17-2009, 10:45 PM
Totes.

dpaterso
05-17-2009, 10:55 PM
Once word got around, everyone would be lining up to stick their hands into the snake machine.

-Derek

Button
05-17-2009, 11:10 PM

Discuss.

How long have you been there? Took them this long to tell you about the snake?

The obvious answer is, no, not wrong at all. Prank away.

ChristineR
05-17-2009, 11:20 PM
Snakes are cold-blooded. The inside of a coke machine would make them sleepy.

Just an observation.

Adam
05-17-2009, 11:23 PM
Maybe the machines are frequented by snakes who have trouble sleeping.

scarletpeaches
05-17-2009, 11:24 PM
A rubber snake never sleeps.

Adam
05-17-2009, 11:27 PM
Only WAITS!!!

Dun dun duuuuuuuun...

Manix
05-17-2009, 11:30 PM
I don't know, you could be the one who pulls the snake out in front of a crowd of people, bites it's head off, and instantly become the next god-emperor of Japan. It could happen.

scarletpeaches
05-18-2009, 01:06 AM
Don't encourage her. She's already power-mad.

bettielee
05-18-2009, 02:21 AM
Our coke machine at work is very warm in the tray area - remember, kids, it takes a lot of energy to work the fridge. So yes, I can see a snake-like creature crawling in and getting all snuggly warm. And then WHAMMO! Have you ever had a can of coke thrown at you? That sh!+ hurts.

thethinker42
05-18-2009, 02:22 AM
How long have you been there? Took them this long to tell you about the snake?

The obvious answer is, no, not wrong at all. Prank away.

I've been here for 6 months. And they just now told us this. Makes me shudder to think of how many times I've blindly shoved my hand into the Machine of Doom to retrieve an excessively sweetened cold beverage when DEATH could have been waiting in the form of a crabby, venomous serpent.

Snakes are cold-blooded. The inside of a coke machine would make them sleepy.

Just an observation.

Which would explain why they go in there and sleep.

Maybe the machines are frequented by snakes who have trouble sleeping.

Well, as an insomniac myself, that would make sense...they're rather testy animals to begin with, and lack of sleep will do that to you. Now imagine if you finally found a place to sleep and someone dropped a can of soda on your head. I'd bite them too.

I don't know, you could be the one who pulls the snake out in front of a crowd of people, bites it's head off, and instantly become the next god-emperor of Japan. It could happen.

I hadn't thought of that.

*orders rubber snake, prepares to take over one of the castles on the island*

Don't encourage her. She's already power-mad.

Quiet, you.

bettielee
05-18-2009, 02:22 AM
oh - jokey response

bong and a blintz?
schmoke and a pancake?

no?
Then there's no pleasing you...

thethinker42
05-18-2009, 02:23 AM
Our coke machine at work is very warm in the tray area - remember, kids, it takes a lot of energy to work the fridge. So yes, I can see a snake-like creature crawling in and getting all snuggly warm. And then WHAMMO! Have you ever had a can of coke thrown at you? That sh!+ hurts.

The ones here are actually quite cold. In fact, we've been known to let our hands STAY in the dispensing tray for a few extra seconds for that very reason. When it's a hot day (also known as a "day that ends in 'Y'" in a place like this), you do whatever you can to stay cool.

Pagey's_Girl
05-18-2009, 02:36 AM
It would be bad. But it would also be funny...

And yeah, I'm evil.

som1luvsmi
05-18-2009, 03:32 AM
Minutes from Executive meeting at PepsiCo:

Due to the recession of global economies, we will be unable to place new vending machines in the rural parts of Japan as Q3 projections indicated. However, we will be sending massive quantities of venomous snakes to be delivered and placed in competitor's vending machines. After all, if we can't have that demographic no can.
Director of Operations is advised to re-route FedEx packages sent to India, due to the massive amount of local snake charmers.

Komnena
05-18-2009, 10:29 PM
It had to be snakes.

Wayne K
05-18-2009, 11:03 PM
Yes Indy.