OMG I'm in Sweden!

WackAMole

WTF?!?!
Registered
Reaction score
Okay so after five years of my partner coming to me in the states for three months at a time, my children and I finally live here in Sweden with her. I know i dont know a lot of you out there but there are a few friends here I'd like to shout out to!

Some observations about Swedes:

1. They all freaking love candy. Every store in the place has bulk candy and when the sun comes out they freak out over ice cream.

2. I spent my life commuting (In a car). I sold everything to move here and my transportation is currently a Crescent bike. When I first arrived at the train station and got off the train in Malmo, there were so may bikes parked outside that I (being a stupid lazy american) thought there was a big bike sale or something. I now bike and walk everywhere and I love it!

3. Northern Pike fishing is the best here OMG

4. Swedish folks connect everything seasonal with plants and flowers and they actually know the names of them! (I suppose being the birth place of Carl Linneas helped)

5. Its a wonderful, wonderful place to live.

So to my few handful of friends here and to some maybe newish ones to come, HEJ from Sweden :)

Reaction score
I was just thinking about you the other day. "Where's WackAMole?" I thunk.

And here you is. :D

WackAMole

WTF?!?!
Registered
Reaction score
They love candy? One more reason to move to Sweden.
Clear out the space under the stairs, WackAMole - I'm comin!

---seriously! I have a Scandinavian preoccupation.

YES, they have a serious relationship with candy. If you dare to open a grocery store without a pick and mix isle around here you cant count on it going out of business. They have some awesome candy too! My current favorite is the Daim bar which is similar to an American Heath bar only the chocolate on the Daim bar is 400 times better! LOL

It is a bit challenging to think about searching out swedish literary agents who represent ficion written in English. Me and Rosetta Stone have a very close personal relationship at this point :)

But if you are in the market for chocolate of every kind that just melts in your mouth, come on over! Makes me wonder how i EVER thought a hersheys bar was good.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Hey! Sounds like you're having the time of your life! I so wish we would adopt the bike thing over here. Enjoy the candy! Say hello to my friend Malin for me.

WackAMole

WTF?!?!
Registered
Reaction score
I was just thinking about you the other day. "Where's WackAMole?" I thunk.

And here you is. :D

LOL yeah here i am! It has been a crazy three months since I have been here. I've lost over 20 pounds just from all the walking and biking I do not to mention that I eat MUCH better because there isnt a McDonalds on every damn corner. I really do love this place.

The only thing that sucks is that my parents pretty much disowned me for moving here but then again they never approved of my relationship either so, ya win some ya lose some! My kids love it here also.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
But if you are in the market for chocolate of every kind that just melts in your mouth, come on over! Makes me wonder how i EVER thought a hersheys bar was good.

Seriously, right? I think Hershey's is crap compared to Cadbury's. And it causes me deep physical pain to badmouth any form of chocolate.

You are finding a new place to put the broom,right? Cuz I am seriously packing. Right Now.

bettielee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
The only thing that sucks is that my parents pretty much disowned me for moving here but then again they never approved of my relationship either so, ya win some ya lose some! My kids love it here also.

Well, if Sweden makes your parents disown you, I am definately coming. I've been trying to get disowned for years. (and I can't do the "partner" thing. My sister did it and they didn't bat an eye. Damn enlightened parents.)

WackAMole

WTF?!?!
Registered
Reaction score
Seriously, right? I think Hershey's is crap compared to Cadbury's. And it causes me deep physical pain to badmouth any form of chocolate.

You are finding a new place to put the broom,right? Cuz I am seriously packing. Right Now.

You cant even melt a hershey's with a blowtorch pffft

WackAMole

WTF?!?!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey! Sounds like you're having the time of your life! I so wish we would adopt the bike thing over here. Enjoy the candy! Say hello to my friend Malin for me.

You know, having been in the states all my life and then moving here, I totally agree. What a travesty that the states don't have more opportunities and emphasis on biking and walking. There are paths literally everywhere here. I am surrounded by 5 lakes and you can walk to all of them or bike if you prefer. They set themselves up well to be outdoors and out of a car. It is so much healthier for the people and for the environment. I had no idea what I was missing.

The obesity rate here is remarkably lower than it was where I was from. I was from a very small county in washington state. Morbid obesity was rampant but now it is easy to see how our culture is feeding that unhealthiness. Would be nice to see the US move towards a more scandinavian mindset in that respect.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
You know, having been in the states all my life and then moving here, I totally agree. What a travesty that the states don't have more opportunities and emphasis on biking and walking. There are paths literally everywhere here. I am surrounded by 5 lakes and you can walk to all of them or bike if you prefer. They set themselves up well to be outdoors and out of a car. It is so much healthier for the people and for the environment. I had no idea what I was missing.

The obesity rate here is remarkably lower than it was where I was from. I was from a very small county in washington state. Morbid obesity was rampant but now it is easy to see how our culture is feeding that unhealthiness. Would be nice to see the US move towards a more scandinavian mindset in that respect.

So dead on. We could so set things up to be more conducive. They are a shining example of it over in Sweden. I'm in Canada...but I find we are much like the States. And there are over 10,000 lakes here in Ontario.

bettielee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com

yes! (agrees the obese girl) Why in the heck is the US so large? I think this is the reason we have to live 50,000 miles from where we work. The concept of living down the street from where you work is foreign to us, and public transpo is more inconvenient than convenient. I live down the street from the BART station here, and to take bart, get off, take a bus to work would take 45 mins to an hour. Drive to work: 15 mins. Oh well. At least I have a new car with super low emissions and excellent gas mileage. Oh... got all serious there..

moving to Sweden. Seriously.

Reaction score
*cough*

If I may ask a rather risque question.

I know this isn't exactly your area of expertise, but...how hot are the Swedish guys?

*cough*

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I am so happy for you...and your kids. Keep us posted as things move along.

SP....you have said that where you are they are yuk...so they have got to be better in Sweden...right? ;)

Reaction score
True. Very true.

Just as well I went on a clothes-shopping binge this week.

*packs bags for Sweden*

WackAMole, make up the spare bed. I'm on my way. :D

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome news! I'm so glad you two get to be together at last!!!

Meanwhile, ladies, what say we plan a man-hunt trip to Sweden? :D I mean a writer's retreat. Yeah, that's it, a writer's retreat. *cough*

som1luvsmi

My brother loves me thiiis much! :)
Registered
Reaction score
About a block away from the nuthouse...they've sta
Website
randomlyabstract.blogspot.com
*cough*

If I may ask a rather risque question.

I know this isn't exactly your area of expertise, but...how hot are the Swedish guys?

*cough*

Icha_andreas_wilson.jpg

beiron_andersson+2.jpg

umm....yeah. Does that answer your question? :D

Last edited:
Reaction score
The second one scares the living piss out of me. The other two should report to my bedroom immediately.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Yay Wack! It's good to hear you're doing well and I hope only happiness knocks at your door.

Uma

Registered
Reaction score
Hej from another amerikanare i skane, it's a great place and I hope you feel at home here! There are lots of ups and downs moving to a new country, but after 8 years here, I can say I don't regret it.

Just stay clear of the surstromming and don't let anyone convince you otherwise :)