Summer Challenge Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
One of the threads in the Horror board gave me an idea. A group summer challenge a lot like Nano but over the summer months to complete one rough draft.

It was originally Horror only, but then someone asked if it had to be horror. I figured why not extend it.

So this is your offical invitation. Join me and others in a summer writing challenge, post your progress and title in your sigline so I and others can know you're participating. You can report word/page count in this thread or the other one if you want.

I'm excited about this and I hope many of you will join us.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Way to shame us into writing... I plan on finishing the 2nd of my 3 book series this summer! (fantasy... but if its bad enough I guess we can call it "a horror")... now I gotta figure which awesome quote in my sig goes bye-bye...

I am on board, icerose!

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Way to shame us into writing... I plan on finishing the 2nd of my 3 book series this summer! (fantasy... but if its bad enough I guess we can call it horror)... now I gotta figure which awesome quote in my sig goes bye-bye...

I am on board, icerose!

Hehe Bettie,

I'm not actually trying to shame anyone. I have a script that I wrote a while back and I really want to turn it into a book, but I've been avoiding it. So I'm looking for support. I figured if I and a bunch of other people were tackling projects together during the summer under a challenge goal (i.e. deadline), I would stop avoiding it and get it done.

So this is actually quite selfish. :D

Glad to have you onboard.

bettielee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
:D Aw... its more fun if you shame us.

But I really gotta get off my butt and... get on my butt and write. So we will support each other :Thumbs: (and our butts) and achieve our goals.

Wondertwin powers: activate!

(we have fairy power on our side)

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I do the novel marathon every July. That's a novel in 48 hours. I'll already be doing it!

My brain turns to mush too quickly! Man, I don't know how you do that. I thought I was doing good with my middle grade reader done in two weeks. Of course I do have little kids and a husband so most of my time isn't my own. Still, I think my brain would melt or something.

unicornjam

Registered
Reaction score
Oh ... why not! I do have a story idea I've been thinking about.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
what would we have to do? I'd like to try it! Sounds like fun.

It's really simple. Start and complete a piece over the summer, rough draft due by Sept. 1st.

It can be a novella, novel, script, whatever it is you write. Or even a collection if you do shorter works.

It's more of an encouragement group thingie so I don't have to write my horror novel alone. There will be others suffering as I. ;)

You can choose to post your updates, or just keep them in your sig. I have my sig line up and running, I just need to actually start, which will happen on Monday. I figured a longer deadline would be best as my kids are home all day during the summer and my writing doesn't go quite so quickly.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
yeah, it's hard...but the best part in doing it in one sitting is the train of thought is uninterrupted. No distractions. It wipes you right out and you become a quivering mass...but at the end of the weekend you have a first draft that you can really sink your teeth into.

I could see that. When my kids get older and I have money to get away I might check myself into a hotel and try just that.

JustJess

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the open invitation. Deadlines are my friends. I'm in.

I figured a longer deadline would be best as my kids are home all day during the summer and my writing doesn't go quite so quickly.

I've done NaNo twice but I agree that summers are tough as I've 5 children ranging from 13 to 1.5. I'm sure I'll be able to squeeze some writing in between breaking up squabbles, chauffering, day trips and endless complaints of "I'm bored".

fringle

always abroad
Registered
Reaction score
I'm excited for this. It has given me the perfect excuse to crumble up my WIP and start afresh. I probably could have just reworked it by changing some scenes, but for some strange reason I just feel like this one needs a fresh start.

rjolitz

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like fun.. what do I have to lose here except some procrastination and a few levels of sanity?! :)

bettielee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
I'm not embarrassed to post after myself. I'm not.

CUZ I WROTE MY 8 PAGES TODAY! Doubling my usual output - have challenged myself to do so for the next 4 days in honor of the long weekend, which started today cuz I got off early! (from work! Sickos...)

Status
Not open for further replies.