PDA

View Full Version : Negative Side Effects of Hanging Out on AW?

Little Earthquake
05-16-2009, 07:03 AM
Well, besides procrastination. Not that I hang out here to avoid the dishes or laundry or weeding the garden or *cough* writing...

I can think of one: so many folks on the board have new books out that look FANTASTIC, and I want to buy them all, but my new book budget is currently very small.

*pouts*

Wayne K
05-16-2009, 07:30 AM
I saw a show in which they compared computer addiction to drugs. You get backache and eyestrain--it's exactly the same. I robbed a blind nun last month to pay Comcast.

Little Earthquake
05-16-2009, 07:32 AM
Now, see, this won't work for me. There are no convents around here.

thethinker42
05-16-2009, 07:47 AM
I end up making friends with people like scarletpeaches, Adzmodeus, and WayneK.

Oh wait, you wanted negative side effects.

Hmm.

I'll get back to you...

Wayne K
05-16-2009, 07:52 AM

Hmm.

I'll get back to you...

You can probably get away with the same list.

Kaiser-Kun
05-16-2009, 07:53 AM
I get all pouty when nobody has quoted me.:cry:

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-16-2009, 08:02 AM

I can't remember what I was going to say... my head and back hurt and I can't see the monitor too clearly...

Little Earthquake
05-16-2009, 08:06 AM

Happy now?

Little Earthquake
05-16-2009, 08:07 AM
I can't remember what I was going to say... my head and back hurt and I can't see the monitor too clearly...

Time for an intervention...

White-Tean
05-16-2009, 08:15 AM
Well, besides procrastination. Not that I hang out here to avoid the dishes or laundry or weeding the garden or *cough* writing...

I can think of one: so many folks on the board have new books out that look FANTASTIC, and I want to buy them all, but my new book budget is currently very small.

*pouts*

Oooh, me too. I've seen and heard of some fantastic looking/sounding books by AWers and I keep having to restrain myself from looking them up further because drat I don't even have the time to commit to reading more books right now.

Fade
05-16-2009, 08:15 AM

*pouts*

Aha! I have been waiting for this thread.

Besides the ones you mentioned, not being able to enjoy the books I used to like. Now that I actually notice bad writing and plot holes, I have to sell... Well, thankfully not half my bookshelf. But some of it.

(And :(. I can't read one of my old favorites because I didn't like the prose. I'm not going to re-read it to keep it in good memory).

Kaiser-Kun
05-16-2009, 08:18 AM
Happy now?

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b338/Kaiser-Kun/kitty.jpg

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-16-2009, 08:28 AM

It's too late for me... I've already been modded. Save yourself!

Susie
05-16-2009, 09:36 AM
Nope, none that I can think of, nope, not a one. :D

BenPanced
05-16-2009, 10:18 AM
The screaming throngs of fans...or is it fans in screaming thongs? Ennyweigh...constantly screaming and thronging around me, day and night, night and day, no privacy, no time to myself, please guys, just give me FIVE MINUTES, I haven't gone to the can all day and I really need something to eat...here...print this out and mail it to my publicist...I promise I'll autograph and return it as soon as I can possibly find two seconds to call my own...

http://pics.livejournal.com/benpanced/pic/0006tdbs

Manix
05-16-2009, 10:32 AM
I just got a jab right between the eyes today, thinking that some of the people I've met here on this forum are people I may never actually meet in real life. :(

Clair Dickson
05-16-2009, 05:46 PM
I go to the book store with Hubby and see books by authors I 'know' on here... but knowing in internet is different than knowing in real life. So it seems wrong to say "I know [insert AW author!] so I end up saying "This person is on the forum I hang out on." And then I sound kind of stalkery and lame. But it's SO cool seeing those names on books because even if I only know them as one of the crowd here on AW, it is way more than I know many other authors.

The other problem I have with AW is those political discussions that irritate the stuffing out of me. Sometimes I log off to cool down and only end up brooding. =/

scarletpeaches
05-16-2009, 05:50 PM
I like AW better than real life.

Jersey Chick
05-16-2009, 05:55 PM
The big negative? I talk about AWers to my real life friends and fam. That'd be okay, except I use their AW names - so I tend to get some strange looks and then I have to explain.

It's kind of funny in a lame-ass kind of way...

i have no life

Little Earthquake
05-16-2009, 06:20 PM
The big negative? I talk about AWers to my real life friends and fam. That'd be okay, except I use their AW names - so I tend to get some strange looks and then I have to explain.

i have no life

I've long talked about my Livejournal friends as if I know them personally. And when you hear about someone's daily life for long enough, you feel as if you DO know them really well - even if you've never seen each other face-to-face.

scarletpeaches
05-16-2009, 06:27 PM

i have no life

I boast about knowing Jersey Chick. :D

Button
05-16-2009, 06:50 PM

i have no life

You mean you don't call your family and friends nicknames? My boyfriend's The Cajun. My mom's The Beast. When she's fussin', I go, "Hang on, I need to go sooth the Beast." Other siblings get other names.

By the way, The Cajun says we're all crazy. :D *thanks to me leaving up one of the threads and he read part of it*

I talk about my 'online' friends the same way. And I feel funny when I say friends and I've never met any of them. Will that stigma pass ever? I mean, you all are real. You all aren't computers... are you?

James81
05-16-2009, 07:04 PM
I saw a show in which they compared computer addiction to drugs. You get backache and eyestrain--it's exactly the same. I robbed a blind nun last month to pay Comcast.

Heh, that's because all addictions are essentially the same. Meaning, it doesn't matter if the addiction manifests itself as a drug addiction, cigarettes, alcohol, caffeine, hats, etc. Addiction is a mindset (or rather, a result of some inner turmoil of some kind that does not have proper coping mechanisms to deal with it).

*takes nerd hat off*

Let's party! WooooOOOOOOoooo! Yeah!

Adam
05-16-2009, 07:37 PM

Hmm.

I'll get back to you...

:Hug2:

You can probably get away with the same list.

:ROFL:

I like AW better than real life.

That explains your post count... ;)

*Ahem*

Other than it being an enormous distraction, AW also gives me eyestrain.

Still, I've met several lovely people through it, so I shan't complain. ;)

Jersey Chick
05-16-2009, 07:59 PM
I boast about knowing Jersey Chick. :D
Well, that kind of goes without sayin', right? ;)

bettielee
05-16-2009, 07:59 PM
People here have a real life?...

Little Earthquake
05-16-2009, 08:49 PM
The only negative side effect I can think of, are those rare moments when critters lull me into thinking that my writing is likable and I start thinking that it's actually getting better, whereupon I quit working so hard and it all goes to crap in minutes!

But, since that happens like nearly never, maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it?

(the likable part, not the crap in minutes part)

I'm sure it's not all THAT rare.

DL Hegel
05-17-2009, 02:03 AM
There are no negative effects.

*Puts on tinfoil hat, whistles show tunes, and dances around skyclad*

Pink plastic flamingoes!!!!!!!!!!!

*runs screaming from the thread*

Little Earthquake
05-17-2009, 02:23 AM
Convinced I naturally write in the idiot tense.

You too? We R twins.

scarletpeaches
05-17-2009, 02:26 AM
The major disadvantage I've had, besides meeting one fellow AW-er and having arranged to meet another, is that I've become friends with thethinker42.

This has affected my writing in such a way as to turn me into a purveyor of erotic romances which surprises me, as I was an innocent before I 'met' her. I put the entire blame for this turnabout in my writing on her, and hope she feels guilty.

Little Earthquake
05-17-2009, 03:04 AM
The major disadvantage I've had, besides meeting one fellow AW-er and having arranged to meet another, is that I've become friends with thethinker42.

This has affected my writing in such a way as to turn me into a purveyor of erotic romances which surprises me, as I was an innocent before I 'met' her. I put the entire blame for this turnabout in my writing on her, and hope she feels guilty.

Did she corrupt you, or did she help you to realize your smutty potential?

scarletpeaches
05-17-2009, 03:04 AM
She deliberately led me astray, with no thought of the moral consequences.

Little Earthquake
05-17-2009, 03:08 AM

That bitch!

scarletpeaches
05-17-2009, 03:08 AM
Yeah! You tell her!

(No really...you tell her while I get my running shoes on).

Little Earthquake
05-17-2009, 03:16 AM
Hahaha! *hunts naughty thinker down*

scarletpeaches
05-17-2009, 03:16 AM
She'll be online soon. You might regret saying that.

bettielee
05-17-2009, 03:18 AM
Getting black eyes in the fist fights... Because I tend to lurk, and sometimes, get in the way.

Little Earthquake
05-17-2009, 03:29 AM

Uh oh.

Getting black eyes in the fist fights... Because I tend to lurk, and sometimes, get in the way.

LOL. So are you injured as an innocent bystander? Or do you offer insight that turns out to be not-so-popular?

Cranky
05-17-2009, 03:30 AM
Negative side effects of hanging around here? Is that possible?

bettielee
05-17-2009, 03:34 AM
LOL. So are you injured as an innocent bystander? Or do you offer insight that turns out to be not-so-popular?

I just get in the way when the fists start flying, and then I go all boo-hoo when the two fighters ignore my posts... and some of them have been real zingers.

I guess victim works for me... :e2shrug: I really aughta be ashamed of myself...

Cranky
05-17-2009, 03:35 AM
You're reading this....

Touche. :D

som1luvsmi
05-17-2009, 03:47 AM

*pouts*

Aha! I have been waiting for this thread.

Besides the ones you mentioned, not being able to enjoy the books I used to like. Now that I actually notice bad writing and plot holes, I have to sell... Well, thankfully not half my bookshelf. But some of it.

(And :(. I can't read one of my old favorites because I didn't like the prose. I'm not going to re-read it to keep it in good memory).

I just got a jab right between the eyes today, thinking that some of the people I've met here on this forum are people I may never actually meet in real life. :(

i have no life

People here have a real life?...

D. - All of the above. Not to mention laughing out loud about something and trying to explain it to whoever's nearby.

I love it here. :D

thethinker42
05-17-2009, 04:04 AM

*cough*Bullshit*cough*

That's crap. I totally thought about the moral consequences. I just didn't care.

That bitch!

Oh REALLY?

*puts on jackboots*

Hahaha! *hunts naughty thinker down*

*taps jackbooted foot and waits*

Assuming that LE, unlike you, has a conscience.

Little Earthquake
05-17-2009, 04:44 AM
TT42, I have a sneaking suspicion that Scarlet hasn't been telling me the whole truth. She couldn't have been COMPLETELY sweet & innocent before you came along.

Also... um, don't hit me?

Little Earthquake
05-17-2009, 04:45 AM
I just get in the way when the fists start flying, and then I go all boo-hoo when the two fighters ignore my posts... and some of them have been real zingers.

I guess victim works for me... :e2shrug: I really aughta be ashamed of myself...

Victimization. Def. a negative side effect. *pats your shoulder* There, there.

Jersey Chick
05-17-2009, 04:48 AM
**whistles, hands behind my back, looking innocently at the sky**

I knows nuttin'

scarletpeaches
05-17-2009, 04:50 AM
**whistles, hands behind my back, looking innocently at the sky**

I knows nuttin'

A negative side-effect of you joining AW is that you were forced into surrendering your email address, which I now use to clog your emailhole with menny menny picshurs of Huge Ackman.

Oh teh horrorz!

thethinker42
05-17-2009, 04:50 AM
TT42, I have a sneaking suspicion that Scarlet hasn't been telling me the whole truth. She couldn't have been COMPLETELY sweet & innocent before you came along.

Also... um, don't hit me?

Well, it IS possible that I completely corrupted her. I've been known to do such things.

But, in her case, I highly doubt it. Not with the things that have come out of HER twisted mind...

..."things" which, I hasten to add, are directly responsible for the existence of two of my last three books. And I write DIRTY books.

scarletpeaches
05-17-2009, 04:51 AM
I feel so proud. :D

thethinker42
05-17-2009, 04:57 AM
I feel so proud. :D

I'm almost afraid to imagine what story you'll put into my head next...

scarletpeaches
05-17-2009, 04:57 AM
Given the nature of the section of my book I'm writing...you should brace yourself.

BenPanced
05-17-2009, 05:06 AM
Beats the #@$% outta hanging out on Facebook. I'm still trying to figure out the point of it.

thethinker42
05-17-2009, 05:09 AM
Beats the #@$% outta hanging out on Facebook. I'm still trying to figure out the point of it.

All the cool kids have figured out the point of Facebook.

And unfortunately my in-laws have discovered it as a tool for nagging at their other kids to post pictures of grandkids, whining to us about the fact that we're so far away, and otherwise being annoying.

Jersey Chick
A negative side-effect of you joining AW is that you were forced into surrendering your email address, which I now use to clog your emailhole with menny menny picshurs of Huge Ackman.

Oh teh horrorz!
Is that supposed to be a negative?

Damn! AW is a frickin' awesome place!

I can haz Huge Ackman clogging my emailhole... how can that be bad?????

**cough** or is that TMI?

Little Earthquake
Well, it IS possible that I completely corrupted her. I've been known to do such things.

But, in her case, I highly doubt it. Not with the things that have come out of HER twisted mind...

..."things" which, I hasten to add, are directly responsible for the existence of two of my last three books. And I write DIRTY books.

You two keep talking about each other's books and I'm starting to get pouty and jealous.

Little Earthquake
05-17-2009, 05:10 AM
clogging my emailhole

Is that what the kids are calling it nowadays?

Jersey Chick
05-17-2009, 05:14 AM
;)

scarletpeaches
05-17-2009, 05:15 AM
You two keep talking about each other's books and I'm starting to get pouty and jealous.

Lori is the only person I can talk to on MSN without it affecting my ability to write. In fact, I get more done when I talk to her.

There are so many instances of me writing thousands of words in a few hours while typing away to her in another window.

For some strange reason she ups my productivity like no-one else I know. It just doesn't work with anyone else.

And we swap chapters as we write them. I know betas should probably get polished versions of one's books, but we exchange first drafts.

Fortunately we like each other's first drafts and can see past the bits that need editing to the story underneath.

And I'd hate anyone else to say, "What about writing it this way?" It'd make me scream, "WHO THE HELL'S WRITING THIS BOOK?" - However, in Lori's case I go, "No, that wouldn't work...unless...now wait a minute..."

So it's not that she writes my books for me. Oftentimes I don't use her exact suggestion, but what she suggests sparks off a whole new train of thought which brings me to an even better way of working through a problem with whatever book I'm working on.

Weird thing is, we often have about seven conversation threads going at the one time involving:

My book
Her book
Someone else's book
Celebrities we'd do
Something that happened today to annoy either one of us
What we're planning to do later
Whether to watch a Colin Farrell DVD or listen to a 30STM album againAnd we randomly reply to any of the seven threads without needing to explain which one we're replying to!

Everyone needs a tt42.

But no can haz this one! :D

Little Earthquake
05-17-2009, 05:18 AM
That is so cool. I need someone like that.

Cloning?

scarletpeaches
05-17-2009, 05:19 AM
The world can't handle more than one tt42.

thethinker42
05-17-2009, 05:24 AM
And we randomly reply to any of the seven threads without needing to explain which one we're replying to!

I think what it all boils down to is that we think eerily alike. (How many times have we both posted the same thing at the SAME TIME on MSN?)

So meeting each other on AW would be a POSITIVE side effect for us. Not so sure about the world at large. :D

Everyone needs a tt42.

But no can haz this one! :D

Especially since you've already got me chained in your basement...

*taps on the wall in Morse code...hopes someone hears...*

scarletpeaches
05-17-2009, 05:33 AM
Given my latest rep point comment, I would like to add the besterest thing about AW is knowing Ol' Bag. :D

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-17-2009, 05:52 AM
That's better.

bettielee
05-17-2009, 06:23 AM
Victimization. Def. a negative side effect. *pats your shoulder* There, there.

thank you! Of course, all you've done is affirmed my victimization. Sigh.

I'm gonna go see where Rob is... maybe him and Wayne are fighting somewhere....

Button
05-17-2009, 07:10 AM
Especially since you've already got me chained in your basement...

*taps on the wall in Morse code...hopes someone hears...*

*steals Lori, and uses her genetics to mix with Hugh Jackman to make a really hot guy who also acts like a muse and talks about annoying things about celebrities and makes Colin Farrell listen to 30STM albums*

... if only I had done more than just one year of genetics class...

brokenfingers
05-17-2009, 07:18 AM
One possible side-effect is writing for writers instead of writing for readers.