Man Coffee

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
Disclaimer-- I don't drink coffee. So, I'm kind of clueless, in general.

What I'm looking for is what sort of coffee a man might order when going into a Starbucks or similar coffee shop. I'm put that he just orders a coffee if that's what's most likely, but if I just put that without doing some research, I'll feel like I'm coping out.

The guy is an office worker and in his twenties. He dresses kind of hip, character ties, colored shirts. He's mildly concerned about his appearance, but not too much. He likes that he doesn't get a five o'clock shadow and generally looks clean cut and sharp. He's confident in his appearance and his ability. And he's ordering coffee with his lunch while meeting with my female MC.

So, gimme some coffee drinks for man to drink (latte, espresso, mocha? Or just black 'cause it puts hair on your chest?) Oh, am I wrong in my inkling that there are some 'chick coffee drinks'? This is a culture that is as foreign to me as speed dating.

Thanks!

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Black or Cappuccino mostly, from what I see. In tea-drinking countries (UK, ROI), a lot of guy friends chose Americanos (not as strong).

Of course he may like lattes, but I've noticed my male friends like less milk. Dunno.

The drinks that sound more frou-frou to order really aren't done as much by the guys I know, but certain ones will order it as they like and not worry about what folks think. Mochaccino usually, there. Or shots of Bailey's flavor, for instance.

Edit: not Bailey's? Irish something. Someone here will know.

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
Manly coffee = black. If he's new to coffee, add some creamer.

My coffee usually ends up like my women. Cold and bitter after sitting in a truck stop all day.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
I think Starbucks has gone a long way in removing the 'chick drink' label from espresso coffees. Especially for 20-somethings who work in offices.

I've never actually heard anyone order a cappuccino. I think lattes are the more popular drink now. And if he's being manly he'll just order the biggest latte they've got. ;) (at Starby's it's called 'venti')

But if he's just ordering a plain coffee, it would likely be a dark roast.

threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
threedogpeople.blogspot.com
In Canada they would probably order a "large double double".

In the Dallas, my former boss, always ordered a venti Caramel Macchiato.

When I was in San Francisco, working in the financial district, lots of guys drank cafe latte in the morning and espresso in the afternoon (a more direct caffeine fix).

threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
threedogpeople.blogspot.com
I think lattes are the more popular drink now. And if he's being manly he'll just order the biggest latte they've got. ;) (at Starby's it's called 'venti')

But if he's just ordering a plain coffee, it would likely be a dark roast.

don't forget the extra shot....

Mandy-Jane

venturing ever further into the unknown
Registered
Reaction score
I will complete a play this year! I will!
My husband usually always orders an iced coffee, generally caramel. Other than that he likes the really strong ones (I don't know what they're called). (He's not in his twenties either, but he is an office worker who kinda' fits your description.)

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
If there's anything European about him, it would be a short black. In fact, they're so nice anyone would drink it.

hammerklavier

It was a dark and stormy night
Registered
Reaction score
Right, from what you've described, he's an expresso drinker. He's not quite manly enough to order black coffee and even a dark roast isn't quite stylish enough for him.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
My husband orders a mocha, but I see men order just about everything at Starbucks, except for maybe the fruity or green tea drinks. Anything skim is *slightly* more chick-like.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Imagine John Wayne strutting his way up to the bar
to order a Blue Hawaian or Sex on the Beach...
the problem isn't what he's ordering,
-the problem is your head is in the wrong bar-

the question as you phrased it didn't make sense,
what's a man doing in a coffeehouse?

Greenwolf103

I'm a grrrl dog, yo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmcwriter.tripod.com
My hubby always, always orders the Cafe Mocha. I have also heard iced coffee mentioned by another male coffee drinker.

Thump

defying grabbity
Registered
Reaction score
Spending one short day in the Emerald City
My Boy goes for Tall Americanos because pretty much everything else is "girly". That seems to be the concensus between the males of my acquaintance. It could also be that because we're studying publishing which is a female dominated industry, they need to compensate ;)

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
Okay, so some good answers. (I'm going to have to go read up on types of coffee drinks, too.)

As for the question of why the guy's in the coffee shop... I see SO many guys walking around with paper coffee cups from various places. And it's not just women sitting at Starbucks or [insert local coffee place.]

Thanks for the help, everyone! =)

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Real men don't go into Starbucks.

Whiskey -neat but only if there isn't any:
Scotch -single malt, or
beer -room temp
then it's
coffee -black

*clean vessel optional on all the above.

Disclaimer:
Okay, okay, at least the men I know.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Metrosexual office worker guys typically order venti (20 ounce) lattes or Americanos.

All of you "manly men don't go into coffee shops" folks clearly don't live in US cities. Starbucks and Peet's are much more popular with men than with women.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Disclaimer-- I don't drink coffee. So, I'm kind of clueless, in general.

What I'm looking for is what sort of coffee a man might order when going into a Starbucks or similar coffee shop. I'm put that he just orders a coffee if that's what's most likely, but if I just put that without doing some research, I'll feel like I'm coping out.

The guy is an office worker and in his twenties. He dresses kind of hip, character ties, colored shirts. He's mildly concerned about his appearance, but not too much. He likes that he doesn't get a five o'clock shadow and generally looks clean cut and sharp. He's confident in his appearance and his ability. And he's ordering coffee with his lunch while meeting with my female MC.

So, gimme some coffee drinks for man to drink (latte, espresso, mocha? Or just black 'cause it puts hair on your chest?) Oh, am I wrong in my inkling that there are some 'chick coffee drinks'? This is a culture that is as foreign to me as speed dating.

Thanks!

GOOD GOD AND PLEASE...anything goes. Especially considering the age. It's the age of the metrosexual. I had Starbucks yesterday...I got the Caramel Macchiato...but I get something different every time. Don't think MAN...think COFFEE DRINKER. That is SO narrow of you!

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Metrosexual office worker guys typically order venti (20 ounce) lattes or Americanos.

All of you "manly men don't go into coffee shops" folks clearly don't live in US cities. Starbucks and Peet's are much more popular with men than with women.

I agree. I have even thought on this. My thoughts...women are less likely to buy more expensive coffee drinks. My wife thinks, "your nuts! I wouldn't spend that much on coffee!" But I think, "Ooh...I love that. I'm getting it." I do see more men in the line-up than women. I find they are harder on themselves when it comes to the simple pleasures. I see nothing wrong with tossing down 6 bucks for a decadent and delicious mocha latte, or whatever.