PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Romance Beta Needed!!! (Novella)

05-16-2009, 04:22 AM
Hello!

I am looking for someone to critique a short piece that I have written with the hopes of submitting it to Ellora's Cave ebook publishing, or Samhain ebook publishing.

It is approx. 25 000 words, is a romance in a fantasy setting (i.e. 17-1800s, made up places, Court, names, etc.), but it does not have excessive fantasy elements. (The fantasy aspect is not really the whole point of the story. It could be tweaked slightly and appear to be set in a modern day urban fantasy / paranormal romance backdrop instead of a high fantasy one, but at the same time it still has the "modest noblewoman" / "defending honor with swords" type thing that I love about high fantasy). It does have explicit descriptions of sex, but nothing "trashy". I like the idea that this is more of a romance novella that includes naughty situations, and not just a work written completely about sex.

It involves Dark Elves, and is called THE SLAVE KING.

If anyone is interested, please let me know!!! (Either through a PM or directly in this thread). I'd love to hear what an unbiased (i.e. not my MOM) person thinks about my writing. I am not afraid of BRUTAL HONESTY. I want to know if this is good enough to get published.

If it passes the test, the idea is to finish the edits by the end of this weekend and then submit on Monday or Tuesday (does the US have a holiday on Monday???).

I would also like to have a bit of help with the novella's query, if the beta does not mind!

Thanks a lot!!!

Cathy C
05-16-2009, 05:10 AM
Hi, 266. Is there a reason for the rush? I know it seems really important to get this sent out rightawayhurryhurry, but is it really as good as you can make it at this stage? When you say "finish the edits by the end of this weekend" it tells me that you might not have thought this out very well. The editing process before submission, even for novella length, can (and SHOULD) take an author weeks or MONTHS before it's ready to submit.

Yes, do get a beta reader but let that reader really THINK about their answers---figure out why the plot has holes or the hero just doesn't seem as strong as he can be. Then, let it sit in your drawer for a few weeks while you completely forget the plot and the characters. It's only then that you'll really see the typos and any stilted wording or places where the heroine has blue eyes in paragraph one, and green eyes in paragraph 80.

I'd suggest you take a deep breath and don't panic. EC isn't going anywhere tomorrow---nor Samhain. Make the story the best it can be, even if that means waiting until the middle of summer to send. You only get ONE shot per publisher. If you get rejected on an "almost there, if it was just a little stronger" you'll never know.

05-16-2009, 06:21 AM
I appreciate your cautioning words, Cathy C --- are you available to Beta this weekend???

Thanks a lot!!!!

Cathy C
05-16-2009, 10:43 PM
Unfortunately not. I've got a couple of shorts that are already overdue because of last-minute changes to our next book. But hopefully someone will see this and give it a go. Good luck!