I have joined the gainfully employed

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure who is aware of this but in September i went a bit batshit crazy at work. It took me several months to realize that I would never work as a carpenter again. I've been looking, rather halfheartedly, for a job, totally overwhelmed with "career" and "future" options.

My sister had a heart to heart with me and said that maybe I didn't need a career, just a good job that paid my bills and left me time to do what I wanted to do. Because of that, I applied for a job on tuesday. On thursday I had a mini-interview over the phone, and this morning i had an interview. I got the job. Best part? It's at a BOOK WHOLESALER. A whole warehouse and showroom full of books!!! And i get to wander among them all day! And i get 40% off!!! I just found my dream job. I love my sister. :)

Ten minutes into the interview I knew I had the job. I think I had it 30 seconds after I got there, but it took me that long to realize. And then she said to me "I would love to offer you the job" and I thought "but? she's not going to?" and then she said, do you want to take the weekend and think it over? Ummm no thanks, thats okay. I'll start tuesday. I'm so excited!!!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
I'm jealous! Congrats! :)

I had the same thoughts before. I kept trying to figure out a career, because everyone else had one.

Your sister was right. I don't want or need a career. I just want something I can do to pay the bills so I can do other stuff. Like write what I want. :) You have a smart sister.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yay! That is great news! Be careful with your 40% discount though :D

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's terrific news, Nevada. Enjoy!

Maryn, still sponging off her old man

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
that's very good news!
I've been unemployed since October and was just offered a job yesterday-and start Tuesday as well. not as fun as yours, just retail, but I'm very relieved.

good luck and try not to spend all your pay at work!

Little Earthquake

I'm melting!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
smoochagator.com
Yaaaaaaay!

I can tell you from personal experience that working with books & having a substantial discount is DANGEROUS. I worked part-time at Barnes & Noble for the better part of a year to "make extra money," but all of that "extra money" was spent on books & lattes. Ooops!

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all. I've already decided that I'm limiting myself to one book a week. Anything else would be insane. Or at least that's the story I'm putting out there. lol

Millicent M'Lady

Exploring the infinite abyss
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all. I've already decided that I'm limiting myself to one book a week. Anything else would be insane. Or at least that's the story I'm putting out there. lol

Maybe if you tell them it's market research, they'll give you some free!

Yeah, I know it's not bloody likely but we all can dream!:D

Manix

Mutatis mutandis
Registered
Reaction score
Gratz Nevada. That is so awesome. I guess today must be the day for good news all around!:tongue

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Only one book a week? What a radical concept! :D

Anyway, congratulations on the new job, Nev.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
If you start tuesday that means you can drink straight through till sunday night.

They hiring?

Congratulations.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I'm not sure who is aware of this but in September i went a bit batshit crazy at work. It took me several months to realize that I would never work as a carpenter again.

Now that sounds like a story I want to hear! ;)

But congrats on the new job!!! I used to work at a bookstore and I did buy a lot of books at first, but ultimately it had the opposite effect on me. When I started, I thought books were like... holy or something. By the time I left, I had come to see exactly how much crap is really out there. I'm now much more selective. ;)

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
So I started today and it became clear, very quickly, that my job had not quite been explained as thoroughly as it might have been. I thought i'd be working the showroom and catching the overflow from the other people in my department. Not quite. I'm doing *all* the invoicing and shipping for my department. I also found out today, and I literally squeed about this, that every monday i get to pick five! paperbacks and get to keep them. For Free!!! That's 20 Mass Market paperbacks every month. For Free!! Did I mention I don't have to pay for them? And then I totally embarassed myself when I caught sight of the new Lee Child. I love my new job.

Greenwolf103

I'm a grrrl dog, yo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmcwriter.tripod.com
WOOT!!! Congrats!! So awesome!

You get FIVE BOOKS for free a week??!!!

Are they still hiring?? I'll move, if I have to! :D

Anyway, that totally rocks! Yay! WAY TO GO!!

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Wow, five books a week. Careful... we're moving next month because we ran out of room for bookshelves. :) (Okay, we're also having a kid, but we were going to move anyway!)

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So I started today and it became clear, very quickly, that my job had not quite been explained as thoroughly as it might have been. I thought i'd be working the showroom and catching the overflow from the other people in my department. Not quite. I'm doing *all* the invoicing and shipping for my department. I also found out today, and I literally squeed about this, that every monday i get to pick five! paperbacks and get to keep them. For Free!!! That's 20 Mass Market paperbacks every month. For Free!! Did I mention I don't have to pay for them? And then I totally embarassed myself when I caught sight of the new Lee Child. I love my new job.

20...free books...every month...

dude. congratulations. seriously! that is awesome.