Recovery time for a bullet wound

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
How soon could a healthy teen be up and around on crutches if they had a lodged bullet in their leg? Assume the bullet is removed in a sterile medical facility, but the person was soaked with nasty bog-like water before they were shot, so the wound got nastiness in it.

How long til they could ditch the crutches?

Is it feasible for the wound to "spasm" for say two months and still cause bouts of intense pain under exertion? (I don't think it would break back open that far out, but I don't know for sure.)

Palmfrond

cereal killer
Registered
Reaction score
Bullet wounds are extremely variable, depending on what damage is done. Bullets don't have to be removed - they are pretty much sterile after being fired from a gun - but they may drag non-sterile bits of clothing, etc into the wound. The debris will cause infections unless it is removed. A contaminated wound might have the skin heal over in a couple of days, and then open and drain as the infection proceeds inside. Exertion isn't the relevant thing here, it's the pocket of pus draining. For purposes of your story, though, you could have the wound drain anytime that's convenient to the plot. Unlikely to drain in two months, though, more like a few days to a couple of weeks. The wounded guy would have severe pain as the pus pocket grows, and probably fever, and would have some relief of pain when the abscess ruptures. He might even be cured if the wound can be kept open and the pus cleaned out until it can heal from the inside.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, bullet wounds vary. I got four at once from a .30 carbine, a pistol-sized cartridge. The bullets are 110 grains.

The shot through my right foot broke bones, which healed a bit crooked. I was walking in a soft shoe with crutches in three days. I now wear an arch in that shoe or there is some aching. To this day, 34 years later, I have no feeling in the middle three toes. The entrace scar on the sole of my foot is tiny, but the exit is a three-cornered tear of two and a half inches with a deep central pit. I'm told the bullet tumbled.

The shot into my right shin was stopped by my shinbone. The bullet was easily extracted and the wound healed without incident. When it snows, my shin aches. The scar is smooth unless I flex a muscle which causes a deep dimple to appear.

The shot to my right calf went through. Surgeons threaded a tube in the wound channel to keep it open and draining. The tube was either removed or dissolved, I can't remember which. Five years later, I felt something go in my calf. It felt numb, like I'd been shot again. I pulled up my pantleg in panic, but no fresh wound. A damaged tendon had let go, I'm told. The internal damage took months to heal. Last year, another small tendon let go under pressure of a serious misstep, and again it felt like the original shot -- lots of tingling and some pain later if I put too much weight on my right leg. The entrance scar is a star the size of a nickel. The exit scar is quarter size.

The bullet in my thigh lodged just under the skin opposite the entrance. It was removed with a simple scalpel incision which left no permanent scar, even though it got the same tube as my calf. The entrance is like a dime. There haven't been problems with the thigh wound, although it took the longest to heal and offered the most pain in healing.

I was three days in a wheelchair, two weeks on standard crutches, then about three months on walking sticks. When the tendons let go, I needed a cane for at least a week, and sometimes a cane helps in really cold weather.

Last edited:

Cybernaught

Decker
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, bullet wounds vary. I got four at once from a .30 carbine, a pistol-sized cartridge. The bullets are 110 grains.

The shot through my right foot broke bones, which healed a bit crooked. I was walking in a soft shoe with crutches in three days. I now wear an arch in that shoe or there is some aching. To this day, 34 years later, I have no feeling in the middle three toes. The entrace scar on the sole of my foot is tiny, but the exit is a three-cornered tear of two and a half inches with a deep central pit. I'm told the bullet tumbled.

The shot into my right shin was stopped by my shinbone. The bullet was easily extracted and the wound healed without incident. When it snows, my shin aches. The scar is smooth unless I flex a muscle which causes a deep dimple to appear.

The shot to my right calf went through. Surgeons threaded a tube in the wound channel to keep it open and draining. The tube was either removed or dissolved, I can't remember which. Five years later, I felt something go in my calf. It felt numb, like I'd been shot again. I pulled up my pantleg in panic, but no fresh wound. A damaged tendon had let go, I'm told. The internal damage took months to heal. Last year, another small tendon let go under pressure of a serious misstep, and again it felt like the original shot -- lots of tingling and some pain later if I put too much weight on my right leg. The entrance scar is a star the size of a nickel. The exit scar is quarter size.

The bullet in my thigh lodged just under the skin opposite the entrance. It was removed with a simple scalpel incision which left no permanent scar, even though it got the same tube as my calf. The entrance is like a dime. There haven't been problems with the thigh wound, although it took the longest to heal and offered the most pain in healing.

I was three days in a wheelchair, two weeks on standard crutches, then about three months on walking sticks. When the tendons let go, I needed a cane for at least a week, and sometimes a cane helps in really cold weather.

I wish I met you at a bar and you told me this.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
!! Wow

I was going to say that I had an accident that left a little metal embedded in my thigh muscle, and that the wound hurt pretty sincerely for 2 months, sure. It hurt for many years if it touched anything too hard (poked/scraped at all). That was all fat layer and muscle, though. Tendons breaking? Bones? Ewww, and much more painful, I'd think!

Wow!