CNN: Palin inks book deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

unicornjam

Registered
Reaction score
I put this here instead of Politics & Current Events because it's about book deals. They say Palin could get $7-11M for her book. Do you think it'll be a bestseller?

I'd probably borrow it from the library. Don't judge me! I like books about politics!

Sarah Palin has inked a book deal with HarperCollins to publish her story of an unlikely political career and meteoric rise from small-town mayor to Republican vice presidential candidate.

"There have been so many things written and said through mainstream media that have not been accurate, and it will be nice through an unfiltered forum to get to speak truthfully about who we are and what we stand for and what Alaska is all about," Palin told the Anchorage Daily News Tuesday.

"The idea is to focus on the content of the book and what's coming in terms of me being able to tell my story unrestrained and unfiltered."
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/05/13/palin-inks-book-deal/

Last edited:

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
So much I could say but, no....

*bites tongue*

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
The publishing industry keeps saying "It's about great writing" but they don't mean it. I really get tired of hearing about these high standards of theirs.

James frey gets a big three book deal and Brittany Spears and now Sarah Palin.

How many great writers are there looking for a break that this money can help discover?

They--like most people--are full of crap.

Sirion

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Whoever is representing her is going to get a nice chunk of change, any book she writes is going to hit the NYT's best sellers list.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, if it sells as well as it seems it will, that's more money for the publisher/agent to take on new writers. At least I hope that's how these things go sometimes.

I love Palin stuff, actually. Of course, I love satire too, so y'all feel free to do the math :D

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
Even though Palin gets a lot of crap, she does empitomize the American Dream, about the ordinary person making it big.

Can you think of a more ordinary person who has hit it big? Granted, she is above average looks wise, but otherwise (especially intellect) she is average across the board.

The book will easily be a best seller. And Lord help us if she actually writes it. If ever there was someone in need of a Ghostwriter, it will be her.

Mel...

Last edited:

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Publishing is a business. It's about making money. Her book will make HarperCollins lots of money.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
It was a joke, but it wasn't about her fan base. It's about the fact she isn't going to be the one writing this book.

CheshireCat

Mostly purring. Mostly.
Registered
Reaction score
It was a joke, but it wasn't about her fan base. It's about the fact she isn't going to be the one writing this book.

Way I heard it, they're not claiming she's going to write it, just saying it'll be a "collaboration."

Which just means somebody else's name will also be on the cover instead of just hers, getting some of the ... credit. Instead of it being her name alone on the cover and a ghostwriter doing all the work.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that a woman who thinks being able to see Russia from where she lives makes her an expert on foreign affairs will have a lot to do with the actual writing.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Publishing is a business. It's about making money. Her book will make HarperCollins lots of money.
No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people. People can easily be persuaded to accept the most inferior ideas or useless products; attributed to H. L. Mencken.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When's that little maverick going to find time to write? There are moose to kill...

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
How many great writers are there looking for a break that this money can help discover?

None.

The celebrity autobiogs are their own line-item; they're generally the cash cows with which the publisher can fund taking risks on new writers.

It isn't like the publisher says "Should we get this book by a prominent celebrity, or Wayne K's memoir?" That's two different decisions entirely--the celeb books are not competing with the new writers.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Then it goes to what my thought was. It's really not about writing, it's about media hype and celebrities.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
None.

The celebrity autobiogs are their own line-item; they're generally the cash cows with which the publisher can fund taking risks on new writers.

It isn't like the publisher says "Should we get this book by a prominent celebrity, or Wayne K's memoir?" That's two different decisions entirely--the celeb books are not competing with the new writers.

Let's not forget Harper Collins cancelling something like 100 contracts for authors in the wake of the celeb Johnny Cochrane tell-all about the O.J. Simpson trial, which tanked totally after he got a near $1M advance.

But I'm sure the marketers have this one figured out right. Like they always do.

caw

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
That's it.

**piles up "the Unicorn Conspiracy, the Rabid Horses of Valdor, Bringing Back the Pegasuar. Whips out lighter fluid, sprays down liberally. Throws on match. WHUMP. Fire catches. All dreams and hopes go up in air. match-thrower can't shake off disgust long enough to care. Goes back into cave. Rolls rock in front of entrance.**

And she was never seen or heard from again.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps Lady Sybilla can be her co-author. It couldn't hurt LS's reputation and might give Sara P's story just the right touch of satire it might need to become a 'hip' parody.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps Lady Sybilla can be her co-author. It couldn't hurt LS's reputation and might give Sara P's story just the right touch of satire it might need to become a 'hip' parody.
Brilliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.