Revisiting old favourites

Reaction score
So it's Gladiator for me tonight; been a while since I've watched it.

Which got me thinking - are there any old favourites you keep going back to time and again, like comfort movies?

And if so, what are your favourite lines and set pieces? Why do you so love that particular fillum?

With me and my Gladiator-lust, no, it's not the "Am I not merciful?!" line although that runs it a close second. It's Maximus saying, "The time for honouring yourself will soon be at an end...Highness."

As I said to tt42 the other night, there is a world of sarcasm in that pause and Crowe delivers it perfectly.

Of course I can quote the fillum backwards but that's definitely the best line in my opinion.

So. Over to you. Old favourites, best lines, most breathtaking set pieces? What keeps you coming back to the movies you watch time and time again?

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
"The Lion in Winter" with Peter O'Toole and Katharine Hepburn is my comfort movie.

My favorite exchange of lines?

Henry II: The day those stout hearts band together is the day that pigs get wings.
Eleanor: There'll be pork in the treetops come morning!

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Pretty Woman

My favorite line is when Julia Roberts goes back to the snobby boutique all dressed to the nines and tells the snobby shop girl "big mistake"

Another favorite, 'The Wedding Date'. I'm not sure why. I suppose Dermont Mulroney may have something to do with it. :D

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Payback, with Mel Gibson, (Lucy Liu as a dominatrix!), and The Crow.

I'm a sucker for revenge fillums. :D

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
I very, very, VERY rarely watch movies more than once. It has to be one hell of a movie, and even then, I'm just not one for watching movies over and over. That said...

Gladiator (pre-batshit crazy Joaquin, Russell Crowe looking HAWT, and it's just a badass movie...agreed with SP about the "...Highness." line)
Walk The Line (All Joaquin-lustings aside, this was a brilliant movie)
The Usual Suspects (If you've seen it, you get it. If you haven't, do so.)
The Shawshank Redemption (Tim Robbins. Morgan Freeman. Badass story. Trifecta of Perfection)

I'm sure I'll think of more, but it's 7 freaking am and I'm not awake yet. Those are the four that come to mind.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
When I need some inspiration or encouragement

I throw in one of the best movies ever made

shawshank.jpg

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
"The Lion in Winter" with Peter O'Toole and Katharine Hepburn is my comfort movie.

My favorite exchange of lines?

Henry II: The day those stout hearts band together is the day that pigs get wings.
Eleanor: There'll be pork in the treetops come morning!

I just bought an old issue of The Illustrated London Times because Lion in Winter was the cover story/image. I figured it was fifty cents well spent.

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
I watch everything more than once. Still particular favourites/comforts are as follows:

Star Wars: A New Hope (1977 because Greedo never shot).
Favourite scene is when Luke and Leia swing across the chasm/shaft. It's just so darned happy.

The Crow
Favourite moment is the bit were Eric slides on the black shirt. It's just gorgeously shot and the music is perfect.

The Goodbye Girl (again, 1977 - there are no remakes in my world)
I pretty much adore every scene so no real favourite.

The Apartment
Favourite scene is probably the bit where Baxter gets punched and tells the doc that it doesn't hurt a bit. I just love Jack Lemmon's expression and the look in his eyes at that moment.

The Scarlet Pimpernel (1981 - okay, there's one remake in my world).
Favourite scene is where Percy shows up and Chauvlin thinks he's a ghost.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Star Wars movies. The missus and I once watched all six back to back in one day. I've probably seen A New Hope fifty times by now, including seven times in the theatre. My wife saw it over a dozen times in the theatre on its first run back in '77, swear to bob. My favourite line that springs to mind is Han Solo right after Luke shoots his first tie fighter:

"Great. Don't get cocky, kid."

This from one of the cockiest characters ever put on film, lol!

The Lord of the Rings trilogy. We've done the back to back marathon on this one a few times too. I absolutely love the book, and the movies bring it to life like I never thought I'd see.

That Thing You Do. Some of you know I used to play guitar for a living many moons ago. This movie embodies the dreams I had of "making it big" when I started out, and how those dreams were dashed. I get all choked up toward the end every time I watch it.

Alien. One of the best science fiction movies ever made, imho.

Blade Runner. One of the best science fiction movies ever made, imho.

2001: A Space Odyssey. One of the best science fiction movies ever made, imho. I still don't understand the ending, but it doesn't matter.

Star Trek: First Contact, and Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan. A toss-up for best trek movie ever (until the latest one came out last week, but it doesn't belong on this list until I can get the DVD and watch the hell out of it, which I most definitely will).

A Christmas Carol. Best Christmas movie ever. We watch it every year on Christmas Eve.

Ace Ventura, Pet Detective and Dumb & Dumber. Funniest Jim Carrey movies.

Others I don't watch as much as those, but do watch every now an then are the Back to the Future trilogy, Home Alone, The Fifth Element, all the other Trek movies, the Indiana Jones trilogy (didn't find the latest one to be of the same calibre).

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
retro-thread ((((S.P.))))

First Blood would have to be the one.
Have watched it seven times, at least.
Favorite line is by Colonel Trautman:
"You send that many men up into the hills, to get Rambo, you'd better remember one thing."
"What's that," replies the Sheriff.
"A lot of body bags." :)
(Don't usually go for violent flicks, but this classic is a definite exception!)

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I just saw Truman Show again this weekend. Still very good.

Next in queue: Matrix and Empire Strikes Back. Never gets old.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are so many.

Blazing Saddles
The Magnificent Seven
Singin' In The Rain
Legally Blonde/Sweet Home Alabama
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
They Died With Their Boots On

And that's just a few. I love my DVD player :)

MM

Deleted member 42

I adore L.A. Story, which is a silly romantic film, but I suspect 90% of the humor depends on knowing Southern California in the late 1980s and very early 1990s.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
I adore L.A. Story, which is a silly romantic film, but I suspect 90% of the humor depends on knowing Southern California in the late 1980s and very early 1990s.

Nah,

I saw LA Story before i've ever been to California and still loved it. But I'm sure someone from Cali probably loved it more as they understood it better.

But LA Story is a great universal story. And its not like we don't know (at least on some level) how weird Californians are :)

Mel...

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Loved The Lion in Winter. There's another great Hepburn line in there somewhere, something like, "You can people your bed with sheep for all I care." Any K. Hepburn film will wow me.

Some others:
Mary Poppins
Repo Man
African Queen
The Philadelphia Story
High Plains Drifter
Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
The Castle ("Jousting sticks?" ... "Tell 'im 'e's dreamin!")
High Noon

askcb

If in doubt, mumble
Registered
Reaction score
I rarely re-watch movies, I'm just not that into them--however, Bridget Jones's Diary 1 and 2 give me a warm cozy feeling all over every time I see them. The Princess Bride, a classic. And, *blushes* I have darn near all of the lines in Dirty Dancing memorized.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Agh, I forgot Robin Hood: Men In Tights. I could watch that film any time, in any mood. :)

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
The Princess Bride - I can quote it from back to front. I do not think it means what you think it means...

Jaws - I will watch this movie anytime, no matter how late into it I might come. My favorite scene is where Hooper makes the faces at Quint. And the scene where Brody and his youngest son are at the dining room table and Sean mimics Brody's expressions.... adorable.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail - another one I can recite line by line. I love the scene with the Black Knight and the Knights Who Say Ni the most, but just about every scene is classic.

The Empire Strikes Back - Han Solo was my first MAJOR crush.... **sigh**