Publishing Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kim Gogo

Lady of the North
Registered
Reaction score
I submitted some children's poetry to Kids Can Press 7 weeks ago. They returned my postcard stating that they received it and it would be 2-3 months before they would respond b/c of a large volume of submissions.

I thought that since I haven't heard a peep for 7 weeks, perhaps I should prepare myself for rejection but a writer friend suggested that if they were going to reject me, I would have heard by now and that the reason it's been 7 weeks is b/c my material is going through the acceptance process.

Can anyone shed some light as to my friend's opinion? In the meantime, I'll continue to try to prepare myself for the inevitable 98%-standard rejection letter.

Thanks...kim

mistri

Sneezy Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
This won't be what you want to hear, but it could be as simple as your manuscript being at the bottom of a very tall pile of manuscripts - they might not have even got around to it yet!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Kim Gogo said:
I submitted some children's poetry to Kids Can Press 7 weeks ago. They returned my postcard stating that they received it and it would be 2-3 months before they would respond b/c of a large volume of submissions.

I thought that since I haven't heard a peep for 7 weeks, perhaps I should prepare myself for rejection but a writer friend suggested that if they were going to reject me, I would have heard by now and that the reason it's been 7 weeks is b/c my material is going through the acceptance process.

Can anyone shed some light as to my friend's opinion? In the meantime, I'll continue to try to prepare myself for the inevitable 98%-standard rejection letter.

Thanks...kim

Your friend is wrong. When the guidelines say two to three months, it really means they may not even pick up your manuscript for four months. The wise writer always doubles the guideline estimate of how long it will take to hear. All sorts of things slow down an editor. Long or short really doesn't matter. It may well be that no one has even read your manuscript yet. Be patient.

pammiechick

Registered
Reaction score
I agree...

It once took Highlights a year to give me a contract for a story when their guidelines say one month.

So, don't worry about it. Your ms is being considered and you will hear back from them. Good luck!

Kim Gogo

Lady of the North
Registered
Reaction score
YIKES!

I was naive to assume I would hear something soon. I guess I can stop holding my breath every time the phone rings! :)

kim

Status
Not open for further replies.