Status
Not open for further replies.

euclid

Where did I put me specs?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
I had one agent actively interested, reading my book. He's had it for about 6 weeks. He came back today and has rejected it. He says it lacks excitement.

Fair enough, but what do I do now?

Rewrite it, or start with something new?

Last edited:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
euclid, you're just beginning. I have triple your R stats. Have a drink. Do you think the agents comment was valid or a "not for me" thing? Have you sent the ms to betas? I can't recommend betas enough. Mine rock.

Then, when you're good with how the book reads, send it out again. Query and Conquer!

Manix

Mutatis mutandis
Registered
Reaction score
Too early for surrender! Don't jump ship until the pirates and ninjas have burned it down to the last masthead! Stay the course, me hearty! Arrrgh...!

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Were any of those other rejections from requested partials? Did you receive any other feedback from other agents? Maybe send out five more queries and see what happens. Then revisit the ms.

And yeah, if you can get someone to read it, do so.

That's a sad thing to wait six weeks and get a rejection on the full! But keep on going.... :)

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
Euclid, that sucks, but as Lily says...check out my rejection stats. Holy shite. It's like I'm hemorrhaging rejections. If you and your beta readers see some merit in this agents assessment, maybe you do need to look at increasing the pace. Otherwise, maybe you just need to query more agents.

Greenwolf103

I'm a grrrl dog, yo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmcwriter.tripod.com
Good on ya for coming up with a strategy after this rejection. That's the way to do it!

I'm glad you got feedback from betas and a professional editor. I hope you will continue to get feedback as you rewrite the book. Good luck in whipping that novel into the story it's meant to be!

Karen Duvall

Chalice the Hatchet Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.karenduvall.blogspot.com
As Lily and Red said, you just started the query-go-round, so don't feel too discouraged. It took me a while to get my agent, too. One time a few years ago on a different manuscript, I worked with an agent on revisions for 9 months before she rejected it, saying "it's not suspenseful enough." So keep on keeping on!

Shail

mostly normal
Registered
Reaction score
I'm gonna get on the encouragement wagon here. You got a request for a full. That in itself speaks of your skills. From what I've understood, listening and reading around, agents do not have time to waste on something that does not interest them. The fact that you're willing to make changes to strengthen the novel speaks of your humility and intelligence. Some people are too stubborn, or too in love with their words to make changes.

So, don't get discouraged. You're a competent writer.

funtastic50

Registered
Reaction score
Ahhhhhhhh Euclid, I'm in exactly the same boat. Exactly. I just checked my mail there, and got a bog standard rejection from an agent that had my full MS for 2 months. I was so sure she'd be interested. God, it's terrible. And I had a sequel planned, now I really don't think there's any point at all, no point in a sequel if there isn't a prequel. At least you got specific feedback, I got the form letter. BOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

What next?

Rebecca_Rogers

Registered
Reaction score
I'm with Callalily... I've sent three times as many queries as you have. You can't give up. Just because one agent doesn't like it, doesn't mean the rest of them won't like it either.

For example: In the past two weeks, I've gotten three partial requests. One of those agents already came back and politely declined reading anymore work, never mentioning why. Another agent came back and gave full critique (which is unusual for a partial), but said she thought the premise was really cool and thought my MC would be a great YA heroine and asked to see my full.

See? Difference of taste.

Rebecca_Rogers

Registered
Reaction score
Ahhhhhhhh Euclid, I'm in exactly the same boat. Exactly. I just checked my mail there, and got a bog standard rejection from an agent that had my full MS for 2 months. I was so sure she'd be interested. God, it's terrible. And I had a sequel planned, now I really don't think there's any point at all, no point in a sequel if there isn't a prequel. At least you got specific feedback, I got the form letter. BOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

What next?

And you can't give up either!! Jeez Louise...

I know it sucks being rejected (because it's happened to me more times than I can count), but you can't quit because one said "no, thanks." Doesn't mean another one won't believe in you. Remember, it only takes one "yes." :)

funtastic50

Registered
Reaction score
Love the optimism! I think I need a few moments to wallow in my rejection. I'll dust and polish myself off tomorrow and start cracking out more queries.
You know I thought writing the book was going to be the hard part... This whole process is RIDICULOUS!!!

Rebecca_Rogers

Registered
Reaction score
Writing the book is the fun part. Trying to find an agent who believes in you is not as fun. LOL

I'm addicted to queries, though. I just keep sending and keep sending...

Status
Not open for further replies.