Habit, Hobby or Vice?

Manix

Mutatis mutandis
Registered
Reaction score
Some habits can be good, some are okay but not productive, and some are so non-productive that they become a vice.

I've had a few activities which I indulged in for awhile, but I knew I had to pull out of them at some point. They were controlling my life. Another habit I have controls me in a different way--a good way--but I've found that both good or bad are my choice. It just seems that the good one is harder for me to maintain.

Why is the good habit the hardest to maintain???:rant:

Last edited:

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Because it's fun" takes an unproductive vice and shoves it, giggling, into the okay tray.

We, as a world people, take ourselves way too seriously. Fun can be found in almost everything we do. It's a pidgeonhole buster. And it can be the anti-stress.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good habits--like exercising every day?

I find I have to push myself to get out there and take a walk each day. I like going for walks, but I still have to make myself do it. I can always come up with an excuse for not going out there--(it's too cold, it's too windy, it's starting to rain, it's too hot, I'm too tired), but it takes the mind saying: Just put on your sneakers and get out there!

Bad habits are easy to fulfill. "Eat that ice cream! It tastes good and you'll have instant gratification!" "Have some booze if you're feeling upset. Then you won't have to feel anything."

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Not all good habits are hard to maintain. I've found that eating healthy is actually easy for me now (it took a long time to get to that point, though!). These days, if I eat junk, I feel so sick afterward that it reminds me why I gave up eating junk in the first place.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, Wayne, another question--might be unrelated and will bump thread--but is religion self-destructive? Maybe that discussion would belong in the religious discussion thread.
There can be a huge difference between religion and faith, so I'll back what Wayne said (in his sig). Some people get wrapped up in religion for all of the wrong reasons, and for all of the wrong purposes. Jim Jones, anyone? Money, power, sex, anyone? So the comment is fine in the context of this thread.

Last edited:

Manix

Mutatis mutandis
Registered
Reaction score
There can be a huge difference between religion and faith, so I'll back what Wayne said (in his sig). Some people get wrapped up in religion for all of the wrong reasons, and for all of the wrong purposes. Jim Jones, anyone? Money, power, sex, anyone? So the comment is fine in the context of this thread.

The hole inside it's hard to fill,
I find sometimes
I wrestle that substance--seems ethereal
Poured out but never quite emptied
Of myself
Clawing my path back
To drink spirit again

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
You could possibly turn some hobby into an obsession. You may never fully understand everything, but you could learn one or two things very, very well, if you wanted. And some people do and are happy with that. (I can't, I've got too many interests, but some people do.)

It takes all sorts to make the world spin.

Right now, my vices are procrastination and Nutella.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, is being addicted to AW a habit, a hobby or a vice?

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Okay, Wayne, another question--might be unrelated and will bump thread--but is religion self-destructive? Maybe that discussion would belong in the religious discussion thread.

I think what Adrian is trying to say is that we're all trying to quell an emtiness which becomes obsessiveness which becomes self destructive.

Does it sound offensive to religious people?

If it does I'll change it.

BTW: I put it up there before I saw this thread, I think you and I woke up in the same frame of mind today.