How long is normal?

c2ckim

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thereadersretreat.com
I have a question for those in the know, how long between signing the contract and actually seeing the book in print, should an author have to wait for a small press/ebook publisher?
6 months, a year a year and a half?
Just curious

AllieB

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.allieboniface.com
Up to 2 years. In my experience with Samhain Publishing, the time from signing a contract to seeing my book in print has been roughly 16-18 months: 6-8 months from contract to e-publication, and then 10 months from e-pub to print publication. (This is based on 4 books with them)

However, when I published with The Wild Rose Press, it was a little bit shorter: I think about 8 months from contract to e-pub and then 6 months from e-pub to print.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
It depends on the publisher. However, you should always make sure that there's a clause in the contract requiring the publisher to publish within a set time frame (12-24 months) or else return rights. Otherwise, the publisher could drag its feet forever and you'd have no recourse.

- Victoria

c2ckim

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thereadersretreat.com
Yeah, they said they have up to a year after the final version is done but I'm tired of waiting and I'm tired of all the BS I have to put up with. I want out of my contract and they haven't been delivering on royality statement and 1099's. I still have yet to recieved my 2008 1099 and I don't know about you but I like having all my ducks in a row in case the IRS comes after me. It makes it so much easier when they come after you to be able to prove it on paper.