Registered
Reaction score
I need the French nicknames for these names:
Balthasar
Baudouin
Félix
Quentin
Zacharie

If it matters, these are been used in the late17th-early 18th Centuries.

Also, for future reference, what's a good source for French nicknames? Could I also get advice on how to make a French nickname if I can't find one for the first name in question? Thanks!

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I think Quentin would be Tintin, repeating the last syllabe twice is quite used for pet names, like Albert: Berbert...

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
^^ d'accord :)

Here is a page for Quentin:
http://www.un-prenom.com/prenom-tou...in/signification-prenom-quentin-r0pr8681.html

Some of them have nicknames listed - "diminutifs"

You can search for the other names in the box on the right:
Recherche prénom

Rechercher les prénoms en fonction :
- du sexe : FémininMasculinMixte [gender: F/M/mix
- syllabes ou lettres
suivantes : Quentin [etc]

And this article may be helpful on making your own (but note that some of it is apparently modern):

http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/004419.html

"How far back does this go? Where does it come from? Does everyone in France have a secret two-syllable nickname in -/o/? Is this related to the informal quasi-abbreviations like "bachot" for "baccalauréat"?

Suffixation is very old in proper names. It goes back to the Middle Ages, and is actually one of the major mechanism for patronyms. Typically, people would keep the last syllable of a name, and add –o (-eau, -aud, -ault), - in, -eu(x), -et, -ou (x, d…), -ard (or –art) (-/o/ is only one mechanism). Raymond would become Mondet, Mondon, Thibauld would become Baudet, baudin, Baudon, Baudart, etc. These are still common family names.

Suffixation to form nicknames is still very common these days, although it seems that people tend to keep the whole orginal name instead of truncting to the last syllable :

Jean → Jeannot
Paul → Paulo
Marc → Marco
Jacques → Jacquot

Funny to realize that what we call "diminutifs" (the French word for nick name) sometimes lengthen the word (as in Jeannot, Paulo, Marco).

It is only one of the mechanisms. I've seen

* Duplication of one of the name syllables :

André → Dédé
Gérard → Gégé
Monique → Momo
Lucien → Lulu
Louis → Loulou
Gisèle → Gigi
Joël → Jojo

* Truncation (possibly with change of vowel)

Marguerite → Margot
Marjorie → Marjo
Raphaelle → Raphie
Danielle → Dany
Véronique → Véro

Obviously, there is a strong tendancy to aim at two-syllable nicknames, ending with a vowel. However, I think that there is a recent growing trend for one-syllable nicknames, ending with a consonnant :

Sébastien → Seb
Delphine → Delph
Fabrice → Fab
Camille → Cam
Xavier → Xav

I don't think that we were doing these when we were kids. Influence of English though movies, celebrities, etc.?"

Last edited:

ideagirl

Registered
Reaction score
And this article may be helpful on making your own (but note that some of it is apparently modern):
http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/004419.html

"How far back does this go? Where does it come from? Does everyone in France have a secret two-syllable nickname in -/o/?

Haha. Yeah, pretty much--either -o or -ou.
Didier > Didou
Laurent > Lolo
Philippe > Filou (or Philou)

Endings in -a exist too. I knew a French Arab whose nickname was Bala--I can't remember what his real name was, but I mention it because it suggests that nicknames aren't gendered; you might expect an -a nickname in a romance language to be feminine, but it's not necessarily.

But speaking of gender, it always seemed like nicknames were much more common for men than for women.

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys! This is good for a start. Still wish someone knew a ready-made nickname for Balthasar, because the one that my English-speaking characters would come up with is nasty. :eek:

maxmordon said:
I think Quentin would be Tintin
I like that nickname! I wish I could use it. I think it'd make a great name for an adventurous youth. ;)

maxmordon said:
repeating the last syllabe twice is quite used for pet names, like Albert: Berbert...
backslashbaby said:
Hmm, that might explain Pepé Le Pew's name, though heck if I know where it came from.

backslashbaby said:
And this article may be helpful on making your own (but note that some of it is apparently modern)
Story of my research life: too early or too modern. Though with the nicknames I'm willing to settle for anything that was around before the Victorians.

Suffixation is very old in proper names. It goes back to the Middle Ages, and is actually one of the major mechanism for patronyms. Typically, people would keep the last syllable of a name, and add –o (-eau, -aud, -ault), - in, -eu(x), -et, -ou (x, d…), -ard (or –art) (-/o/ is only one mechanism). Raymond would become Mondet, Mondon, Thibauld would become Baudet, baudin, Baudon, Baudart, etc. These are still common family names.
Wonder if this would still be okay in my time period.

ideagirl said:
Haha. Yeah, pretty much--either -o or -ou.
Didier > Didou
Laurent > Lolo
Philippe > Filou (or Philou)
Somehow, I don't think the Dread Pirate Lolo will get much respect from the English. :D

So if I add an -o,-ot, or -ou to a syllable, or repeat a syllable to make a French nickname it'll be hard to go wrong. (Though knowing me, I probably would.)

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Pepe, at least in the Spanish sense, comes from St. Joseph, who is Putative Parent of Jesus, P.P., Pepe. I don't know if this is the same case with Pepé...

By the way, big Tintin fan over here!

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
"Baltha" and "Baltho" are the only diminutifs I've ever seen for Balthasar in French.

Except for the painter Balthus, but I think that reflects the sound of his first name in his native Polish.