PDA

View Full Version : Gah! Must it be so difficult to get a job!

Cybernaught
05-13-2009, 01:55 AM
So I've been back home for two weeks for summer break, and I must've applied to thirteen places by now. None whatsoever have called me. I don't get it. My qualifications are sound. I have management experience, customer service experience, I do volunteer work... Is this just a plot against me to keep me broke?

JoNightshade
05-13-2009, 02:11 AM
You're looking for a summer job? Methinks most places will have pared down already to their most necessary employees. Seasonal/temporary workers are already extraneous, so in a floundering economy they're one of the first things to go.

Wayne K
05-13-2009, 02:13 AM
Yeah, every business here is cutting jobs.

Not to sound negative--I just mean that it's not you per se.

Button
05-13-2009, 02:20 AM
What kind of hours are you looking for? What sort of job? I work from my house, and the jobs that I am hired for are near constantly hiring.

Check out WorkPlaceLikeHome.com, or there's a big list at http://workhomecareers.blinkweb.com, and some at RatRaceRebellion.com.

Don't give up. Have you tried the temp agencies?

Clair Dickson
05-13-2009, 02:23 AM
Cybernaught-- you have to understand how many other people are looking for jobs. And how few openings there are.

When I applied last summer (in Michigan) for a teaching position, I found out there were over 250 applicants for the two English teacher positions. And that didn't include the teachers who already had Master's Degrees (which were not even considered for the position, a little bird from the inside told me.) (I didn't get the job.)

My Hubby got a job last year-- but I'm convinced he was only interviewed for the position because his friend put in a good word. And this was a basic retail position. My Hubby had over 15 years of retail experience at the time (plus a college degree) but no one called back once. Having lots of experience can actually be seen as a bad thing-- employers may think you'll demand more money.

Best of luck. These are indeed tough times.

Rachel
05-13-2009, 02:46 AM
Good news is that we should be out of this thing by Christmas... bad news is we won't be out of this thing until Christmas.

Cybernaught
05-13-2009, 07:04 AM
Yeah, I put on my application that I wasn't looking for a temporary position. Plus, I put completely open availability, 40 hours a week. I know the economy is crap right now, but heck, McDonald's hasn't even called me. I should just give up.

rhymegirl
05-13-2009, 04:35 PM
I hate to have to say it but there are just so many people competing for the few jobs that are out there.

My 18-year-old son is probably going to be jobless this summer.

One of the reasons why I became an Avon rep is because I couldn't find any companies actually hiring in my area. Avon was actively looking for people. It's a commission type of earnings, but at least it's something.

Manix
05-13-2009, 04:49 PM
Yeah, I put on my application that I wasn't looking for a temporary position. Plus, I put completely open availability, 40 hours a week. I know the economy is crap right now, but heck, McDonald's hasn't even called me. I should just give up.

Don't give up, now is the time of year when jobs open up, actually. New construction happens in the spring and summer, even if less is actually being built, landscaping will be happening now, even if there's less of it going on, painting, working at outdoor theme parks, etc. they're all hiring now. Get your butt out there and swim! The current might be faster and there may be more fish, but that will just make your swimming muscles stronger, right? Someone here at AW said "Persistence beats experience." I'm counting on that.:tongue

James81
05-13-2009, 06:37 PM
Yeah, it's a rough time to get a job right now (from what I hear).

But instead of waiting for them to call you, call them. Bug the crap out of them until they give you an interview. Honestly, I think in a time when jobs are scarce, the only way to get a job is to get a little agressive and proactive about the process.

jodiodi
05-13-2009, 07:36 PM
Good luck.

I'm an RN and besides nursing, have degrees in English and Journalism and I can't find a job. I've been out of work since last April. My recent illness made it hard for me to get a job and hold on to one if I did.

So, I'm not working at all.

K. Taylor
05-13-2009, 08:33 PM
I'll second that you should do a little extra. With SO much competition out there right now, you can't just wait for calls. Make them remember you! (in a good way) I knew a general manager of a grocery store that said he always hired the ones that called back or came in to follow up, not the applicants that expected him or his staff to do all the work. He always said "Show me you want this job, that you're serious."

If you live in a college town, it's going to be even harder, as all of you are out of school all at once and looking for work. Entry level positions go like that.

Cybernaught
05-13-2009, 08:53 PM
Thanks for all the tips, everyone. I'm going to head out to all the places I applied to today and check on the status of my application. I hate being that guy, but I'm tired of waiting around.

jennifer75
05-13-2009, 08:55 PM
You're looking for a summer job? Methinks most places will have pared down already to their most necessary employees. Seasonal/temporary workers are already extraneous, so in a floundering economy they're one of the first things to go.

As Office Admin for a large firm that hires summer interns (when the economy isn't f@cked), most of these apps come in around March. Unfortunately bad timing and finances may be working against you.

BardSkye
05-14-2009, 07:42 AM
Make sure your phone is working.

I was kind of wondering why I hadn't received any call backs from over 100 applications. Then a friend tried to call me for something and we discovered that while I can call out just fine, incoming calls aren't working. The repairman should be here tomorrow.

Best of luck to you. It is a difficult time for many of us, but at least you have your pals on AW to commiserate with you, so you're ahead of many.

MacAllister
05-14-2009, 07:44 AM
Hang in there. I feel for you, too -- and job-hunting is sort of designed to be tough on your self-esteem. I sent out something like 30 carefully-tailored resumes in the last couple of weeks, too, and haven't had even a nibble.

Captain Scarf
05-14-2009, 07:45 AM
I'm having no end of trouble.

I did a degree in history and a masters in military history. This has made me ideal for : Absolutely Nothing

Wayne K
05-14-2009, 08:31 AM
Thanks for all the tips, everyone. I'm going to head out to all the places I applied to today and check on the status of my application. I hate being that guy, but I'm tired of waiting around.

There's your answer. If the mountain won't come to you...

brainstorm77
05-14-2009, 12:22 PM
I've only ever worked at one job which is nursing. But I often wonder what it would be like to work at something totally different... Good luck with the search!

Greenwolf103
05-14-2009, 05:20 PM
Couple of years ago, I was in your shoes. I applied for jobs EVERYWHERE. At every single fast food place, every store. I went in and filled out applications even if they didn't have a "now hiring" sign in the window. I spent days going everywhere, filling out apps. I called to check in on applications and was often told a whole heck of a lot of people applied for jobs and some of them were already hired. It happens.

What's interesting is that I had better luck finding work at home. When I applied for work-at-home jobs, I got them. When I applied for out-of-home work, I didn't get one phone call. (I am deaf and used my friend's phone number for the phone calls.) Something to think about.

Best of luck.

jodiodi
05-14-2009, 06:03 PM
I've only ever worked at one job which is nursing. But I often wonder what it would be like to work at something totally different... Good luck with the search!

I became a nurse after getting a Journalism degree and working in both print and broadcast media. I had no particular calling to it except that I've always been the one to take care of all the sick folks in my family and friends. I worked for 28 years as an RN in acute, long-term, home health and managed care. I went back to school and received my English degree while working at a hospital near the university.

The last few years were spent in QI and Patient Safety. Then, my heart gave out and I suffered short-term memory loss, which screwed any job prospects to hell. No one will hire me and I can't really hold down any job in which someone's life depends on my actions.

However, I'm glad to be out of nursing. The older I got, the less I wanted to hold people's lives in my hands, literally.

My mother once said, "Well, for what you make, it sure beats working for minimum wage in a factory."

To which I replied, "Yes, but how many people can you kill if you have a bad day at work sewing jackets?"

Explore options while you can.

Cybernaught
05-14-2009, 06:47 PM
Well, I talked to a few managers yesterday. Let them know I was serious. Hopefully I'll nail something soon. The end of the month is approaching fast. :cry:

truelyana
05-14-2009, 07:16 PM
So I've been back home for two weeks for summer break, and I must've applied to thirteen places by now. None whatsoever have called me. I don't get it. My qualifications are sound. I have management experience, customer service experience, I do volunteer work... Is this just a plot against me to keep me broke?

It takes a little while to find a job, and for the process to go through. I am sure someone will give you an opportunity sooner or later. It just takes patience. It took me 8 months to find the job that I am in now, after University.

Cybernaught
05-22-2009, 08:08 AM
Great news, I start my new job tomorrow! It's retail, but it's still money. W00t.

Clair Dickson
05-22-2009, 06:34 PM
Yay! Hey, some money is better than no money. Says the woman who worked in retail for 11 years... and continued to work there even after she got her teaching job. (But has since quit.)